HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So our lineup so far is?

Old
07-04-2009, 01:17 AM
Professor Dangles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwortzman View Post
wow, we have the 4 best 3rd lines in the nhl.
Does anyone else agree with me when I say that I think Poni Grabs Kulemin would probably be one of the best 2nd lines in the NHL?

61 48 and 31 points is nothing to sneeze at especially considering that Grabs and Kulemin were in their rookie seasons.

Professor Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 02:44 AM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangler Status View Post
Does anyone else agree with me when I say that I think Poni Grabs Kulemin would probably be one of the best 2nd lines in the NHL?

61 48 and 31 points is nothing to sneeze at especially considering that Grabs and Kulemin were in their rookie seasons.
I think 61 points will be Ponikarovsky's all time career high. I do expect Grabs/Kulemin to improve though.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 05:57 AM
glenny

I think they have to give as much ice time to the younger guys as possible. Putting a experienced player on each line to bring them along like poni with kulemin and grabo last season.

Poni ---- Grabs ---- Kulemin
Blake---- Bozak ---- Stahlberg
Hagman ----Mitchell --- Tlusty
Stuart ----- Mayers ---- Orr

Kaberle --- Komisarek
Schenn--- Stralman
Exelby --- White
Finger

Flip finger and stralman in and out depending on form etc. Have to give Stralman a chance or its a waste.

Toskala
???

glenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 08:43 AM
BillyWilliams

What's with everyone inserting Stalberg into the NHL, I know he's got an NHL body but playing a couple of AHL playoff games doesn't mean you're ready to jump into the line-up of the Toronto Maple Leafs. But who knows I think Bozak will be there and he's much smaller...

Ponikarovsky Grabovski Kulemin
Hagman Bozak Blake
Stuart Stajan Stempniak
Orr Mitchell Mayers

Kaberle Komisarek
Schenn Finger
Van Ryn White

Toskala
Gusatavsson

* Give Tlusty one more season in the AHL, but he'll be one of the first call-ups, followed by Hanson and then Stalberg
* Stralman really should be on the team but our depth simply doesn't allow for it right now, so he should be in the minors along with Frogren, with Exelby as our #7 guy

BillyWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 08:48 AM
Raptactics29

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss_7 View Post
I am hoping at least one of our forwards make the all star team...
Does the AHL all-star team count?

Raptactics29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 08:51 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangler Status View Post

Not at all, it's a decent 2nd line. Chicago's 3rd line last year is better than that, though.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 08:54 AM
Number13

I believe Stalberg will make the team out of camp, and that Mayers might be moved as he is a bit redundant with Stuart and Orr. I think Stajan might be moved as well.

Kulemin--Grabovski--Ponikarovsky
Stempniak--Bozak--Blake
Hagman--Stuart--Tlusty
Orr--Mitchell--Stalberg

Komisarek--Kaberle
Schenn--Van Ryn
White--Exelby

Toskala
??

Extras:
Mayers
Finger
Stralman
Hanson

Number13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Cmillz

I think it's safe to say, these players will not be our starting lineup come October. Some D man shifting is still likely. I'm praying for a more established 1st line winger, but who knows.

Kulemin-Grabovski-Ponikarovsky
Hagman-Stajan-Blake
Stalberg-Mitchell-Tlusty
Stuart-Bozak-Orr

Komisarek--Kaberle
Schenn--Van Ryn
Finger--Exelby

Toskala

Cmillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Number13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyWilliams View Post
What's with everyone inserting Stalberg into the NHL, I know he's got an NHL body but playing a couple of AHL playoff games doesn't mean you're ready to jump into the line-up of the Toronto Maple Leafs. But who knows I think Bozak will be there and he's much smaller...
He's a big body, he can skate like the wind, he's physically mature at almost 24 and he has a bullet of a shot. He has all the tools to make it this year, he doesn't need any more development as he almost spent his full 4 years developing at Vermont.

Number13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 09:21 AM
mikedumar

Its called a rebuild for a reason !!! Let the kids play

Stalberg-garbo-blake
Hagman-bozak-kulemin
Stuart-Stajan-hanson
Orr-mitchell-mayers

Dump the stiffs in poni and stemp

I'd rather watch the kids try then mid age stiffs collect a paycheque

mikedumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Teepes

Colin Staurt will be 27 by the start of the nhl season.

NHL 51 8 5 13 +5 24 73

Poni will be 29.

NHL 416 95 121 216 +51 274

Why is Colin Staurt not a stiff? 27 is a kid? Making the third line especially on logjam at left wing on the leafs...Pipe dream that Kubina was traded for something...simple salary dump

AHL Move!!

Teepes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 09:34 AM
maxdanno115

Ponikarovsky-Grabovski-Kulemin: This line should be good for 65-85 goals 200-ish points,maybe more if Grabovski has kept his international form.

Blake-Bozak-Hagman: if my predictions about bozak are correct these should get 70 ish goals 190-ish points.

Stalberg-Stajan-Stuart: excellent all round line, should get 60 goals 120 points with any luck,This may be over estimating Stuart and Stalberg.

Mayers-Mitchell-Orr : Our tough line,, mayers is one of the better middleweights in the league and orr one of the best heavyweights,mitchell can play very well and isnt too soft.

Kaberle - Komisarek: Hopefully being partnered with a tough, physical, stay at home defenseman and having a tougher team will meen that his offence can begin to flourish again for kaberle and ive just explained komi's role.

White - Schenn: Both solid at their role play this line just a little bit less than the top pair too let the young pairing give expirience. Play schenn on the secong pp with Van Ryn.

Van Ryn - Exelby: Solid defensively, When Van Ryn gets injured call up either Big Phil Oreskovic or little Anton Stralman.

Toskala: Our only legitimate NHL calibre goalie, albeit 1A standard is obviously going too start

Sign a backup: Hopefully Jonas Gustavsson but even if we dont get him we will need a backup as Pogge just isnt up for it.

maxdanno115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 09:37 AM
mikedumar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teepes View Post
Colin Staurt will be 27 by the start of the nhl season.

NHL 51 8 5 13 +5 24 73

Poni will be 29.

NHL 416 95 121 216 +51 274

Why is Colin Staurt not a stiff? 27 is a kid? Making the third line especially on logjam at left wing on the leafs...Pipe dream that Kubina was traded for something...simple salary dump

AHL Move!!
Stuart was brought in to do something poni can't and that is play with a physical edge and kill penalties

Stuart is a great bottom liner

Old
07-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
It's really depressing to look at our forwards corps as a whole right now.

It's just so bad.

Hopefully in a few years, the names like Tlusty, Grabovski, Kulemin, Bozak, etc, will be worth a lot more. But right now... Just plain bad.
Who would've thunk we'd be a worse team than last year at this point of the offseason, what with our superstar GM and all? Our only asset is Kaberle and moving him with the way our defence is now will result in a lateral improvement at best in overall team quality -- and that's if we're lucky, judging by the awful Kubina trade.

Burke has been nothing but a big bag of wind so far. We're going for the playoffs this year?? Reminiscent of a certain chamomile tea-drinking coach that said the same thing not too long ago. The playoffs are a pipe dream with this roster.

There's still time but as the offseason has gone on, the magnitude of the rabbit Burke has to pull out of his ass before camp has grown exponentially.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 10:17 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyWilliams View Post
Agreed, these people who are putting Bozak in the line up, when he only played half the season, is smaller, and hasn't even proven himself in college while dismissing the larger, better skating, and point per game+ player the entire season in college is a head shaker.

Going on a short hot streak in college isn't the same as maintaining it as the go to guy there from start to finish.

Bozak 6'1", 180 lbs.
Stalberg 6'3", 210 lbs.

Both are the same age.

Center is a more difficult position on top of everything else.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
Who would've thunk we'd be a worse team than last year at this point of the offseason, what with our superstar GM and all? Our only asset is Kaberle and moving him with the way our defence is now will result in a lateral improvement at best in overall team quality -- and that's if we're lucky, judging by the awful Kubina trade.

Burke has been nothing but a big bag of wind so far. We're going for the playoffs this year?? Reminiscent of a certain chamomile tea-drinking coach that said the same thing not too long ago. The playoffs are a pipe dream with this roster.

There's still time but as the offseason has gone on, the magnitude of the rabbit Burke has to pull out of his ass before camp has grown exponentially.
Well don't say I didn't try to warn people Pep about Burke's all talk no action Modus Operandi ("method of operating").

Still disagree with my early suggestion about Burke recently, that Leafs are going to baton down the hatches, goon it up and try desperately to cut down on those goals against totals this season?.

Burke being old School, building his team this way from the goalie out certainly not surprising to me. Then turning the team over to Wilson, and through his system trying to be competitive, while playing physical attempting to win games 2-1 and 1-0 next season, as a result of being hard to play against. The entertainment factor coming from defensive hockey by the fights and the hitting to entertain the ACC mob..

Now we have a trade deadline, an entry draft and UFA season start, to judge the direction he is taking the team.

Last edited by Mess: 07-04-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 10:43 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Poni-Mitchell-Blake
Hagman-Grabovsky-Kulemin
Stempniak-Stajan-Tlusty
Orr-Stuart-Mayers
Bozak-Hanson-Strahlberg-Dido-etc with the Marlies

Kaberle-Schenn
Komi-White
Finger-MVR-Exelby-
Frogren and Strahlman with the Marlies
I have no idea how the defensive pairs will work.

Toskala
?

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 10:47 AM
FabledKnight

Ponikarovsky - Grabovski - Kulemin
Blake - Stajan - Stempinak
Hagman - Mitchel - Hanson
Stuart - Mayers - Orr

Kaberle - Komisarek
White - Schenn
Finger - Exelby
VanRyne
Frogren

Toskala
UFA signing

FabledKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 10:48 AM
dybbuk

Anybody who thought Burke was gonna turn this team around this offseason and go for the playoffs wasn't paying attention. He wants to make them yes, but, he also said no shortcuts. Wants to be competitive and we will be. We'll probably lead the league in most 1 goal losses.

dybbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by dybbuk View Post
Anybody who thought Burke was gonna turn this team around this offseason and go for the playoffs wasn't paying attention.
Wasn't paying attention to what? Burke's the one who said we would do that. I think he was betting on a lot more success on the free agent market and trades when he said it, though.

Old
07-04-2009, 11:01 AM
mooseOAK*

What time is the game next week?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 11:01 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Burke was hedgeing his bets. He said we'd try to make the playoffs but not at the expense of the future. Now he can say he tried but it was too much future being expended.

Old
07-04-2009, 11:02 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
What time is the game next week?
8:00 AM tee time

Old
07-04-2009, 11:51 AM
mikedumar

Finally this team is going through a proper rebuild and fickle fans can't handle it !

No wonder this team gets nowhere ! The fans cause too much pressure

Old
07-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedumar View Post
Finally this team is going through a proper rebuild and fickle fans can't handle it !

No wonder this team gets nowhere ! The fans cause too much pressure
The team gets nowhere because they do things like trade a very good defenceman for a crappy one to make room for signing another defenceman that wasn't as good as the one they traded away. The team gets nowhere because they consistently fail to get the best players.