HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So our lineup so far is?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2009, 01:00 PM
  #76
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 40,276
vCash: 500
you like the idea of breaking in kadri next yr
and onto the 1st line as well ?

p.l.f. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 01:04 PM
  #77
Raptactics29
Registered User
 
Raptactics29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
you like the idea of breaking in kadri next yr
and onto the 1st line as well ?

Raptactics29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 01:05 PM
  #78
dubplatepressure
Registered User
 
dubplatepressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
excellent thread




The worse our roster is, the better.


I'm keeping my fingers crossed that our 1st line will include a young Mr. Kessel.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 01:07 PM
  #79
bluumax
Registered User
 
bluumax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: england
Country: England
Posts: 1,746
vCash: 500
poni-grabs-kulemin. get the young guns firing

bluumax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 01:09 PM
  #80
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
you like the idea of breaking in kadri next yr
and onto the 1st line as well ?
Not at all. My point is there is no first line, and calling anyone currently on the roster a 1st line is not a complement to the team.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 02:15 PM
  #81
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 64,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
poni grabovsky kulemin ?

i mean come on..
On a perennial Cup contending team like Detroit that would be a 3rd line at best..

That fact is a testament as to just how far this team is still from that level.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 02:18 PM
  #82
ugotmybeef*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: LA BABY!!
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
On a perennial Cup contending team like Detroit that would be a 3rd line at best..

That fact is a testament as to just how far this team is still from that level.
you really have to stop comparing any team to the likes of Detroit. If you want to compare defences as well, every other team is at best 2nd pairing and 3rd pairing as well.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 02:28 PM
  #83
TOG26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
On a perennial Cup contending team like Detroit that would be a 3rd line at best..

That fact is a testament as to just how far this team is still from that level.
Poni is better then Cleary, Grabo should be pretty equivalent to Hudler, but Kulemin is a long shot to be as good as a goal scorer as Frazen. 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Good teams have depth. Detroit was good because they had 8 forwards with over 40 points. Detroit's third and 2nd lines were almost interchangeable. Garbo Poni and Kulemin as a second line in the long run is perfectly fine. If the Leafs can find some top line talent, I think the 2-4 lines will fall into place nicely.

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 03:13 PM
  #84
GoodNewfieBoy
Jim,coach Leafs too?
 
GoodNewfieBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,374
vCash: 500
I can't imagine having 3.5mil in the press box.

I stil have no idea what Cliff Fletcher was thinking on that one.

Its too bad he was given our team before Burke got here.

What an absolute disaster of a deal that is.

GoodNewfieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 03:29 PM
  #85
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 64,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodCanadianBoy View Post
I can't imagine having 3.5mil in the press box.

I stil have no idea what Cliff Fletcher was thinking on that one.

Its too bad he was given our team before Burke got here.

What an absolute disaster of a deal that is.
When a team is rebuilding and not a Cup contender and not spending to the Cap ceiling then its irrelevant to the team how much each individual player is making as it has no bearing on anything.

This is only a factor when Cap management comes into play, where it matters, and Leafs are years away still from being considered a serious contender and by then Finger's contract will already be off the books.

Finger could have made $1 dollar or $5 mil last season and it wouldn't have made an ounce of difference with the Leafs or the results while they were sitting with nearly $8 mil under the Cap ceiling. So Finger is a $2.5 mil valued player making $3.5 mil a season overpaid by $1 mil a season, because he was bought via UFA and the process inflates player contracts. But in the big Leaf picture as of today it doesn't matter one Iota.

He was brought in with the intention that other Dmen mainly Kaberle and Kubina were intended to be shipped out and you still need NHL dman at that end of the day..

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 03:45 PM
  #86
trader11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
bottom line .....trade Kaberle (plus a pick and/or additional player) for a first line center and definitely play Stralman, he's more than ready to step in.

trader11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 03:48 PM
  #87
LTL
Registered User
 
LTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: D.T
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
When a team is rebuilding and not a Cup contender and not spending to the Cap ceiling then its irrelevant to the team how much each individual player is making as it has no bearing on anything.

This is only a factor when Cap management comes into play, where it matters, and Leafs are years away still from being considered a serious contender and by then Finger's contract will already be off the books.

Finger could have made $1 dollar or $5 mil last season and it wouldn't have made an ounce of difference with the Leafs or the results while they were sitting with nearly $8 mil under the Cap ceiling. So Finger is a $2.5 mil valued player making $3.5 mil a season overpaid by $1 mil a season, because he was bought via UFA and the process inflates player contracts. But in the big Leaf picture as of today it doesn't matter one Iota.

He was brought in with the intention that other Dmen mainly Kaberle and Kubina were intended to be shipped out and you still need NHL dman at that end of the day..
Agreed

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 04:40 PM
  #88
Volcanologist
Used Register
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cosmodrome
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedumar View Post
Which goalie ? We had a few
All of them.

Quote:
And of course none of it was kubinas it suits your argument
And blaming him while ignoring the goaltending suits yours...of course, a cursory examination of the facts reveals that argument to be silly. Obviously Burke didn't want him around but replacing him with Komisarek doesn't make us a better team in an overall sense. Hard for that to be the case when Kubina is the better player, for starters.

Quote:
He is a five million dollar player there is accountability on his behalf
There's accountability for everyone. The question is, how much and for which players? Doing it by salary doesn't seem too logical. Examining the facts seems to make more sense....namely, the fact that our goalies couldn't stop a medicine ball last season.

Quote:
I'm on the fence with xlb and ill wait till I see him play first obviously though toughness was lacking in our zone
Ah, so you haven't even seen him play. That explains a few things.

We didn't have to give up Kubina to get toughness in our zone, especially embodied in a bottom pair guy like Exelby. I actually do like Exelby's nastiness but that was far too high a price to pay. He is a limited player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dybbuk View Post
The team gets no where because it's fans think we can still buy a cup. Once you finally clue in that you have to draft(or acquire when they're very young) at least a few decent guys on the club to get any where's you'll realize we're DRAFTING our high end talent.
I'd love for you to show me where I said we can buy a Cup. You haven't been here long enough to comment on what I think with any authority, and obviously don't have a clue that the Leafs' lack of drafting success has been something I've pointed out many times over the years.

Quote:
I know it's a shock to the system, but, in a few years we'll have some good players on the team, good enough to maybe get us some where's. And by leaving out Stuart of the equation in the Kubina deal shows your ignorance. You only see talent in/talent out. You fail to recognize role players, salary, age, or anything else. Just talent in/Talent out. There is more to it.
Kubina for Exelby and a 27 year old 7-12th forward with 50 games NHL experience is highway robbery by the Thrashers. If you think that's ignorant, well, that opinion pretty much speaks for itself. We were well under the cap before the trade.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 10:24 PM
  #89
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!
 
TheKingSlayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,434
vCash: 500
I honestly believe that Tlusty, Stahlberg, Hanson and Bozak should start in the minors together, get them playing well together, building chemistry and tearing it up. Also if we plan on having Stefanovitch and Dale Mitchell playing next year, it'll be great for them all to play together in the comfort of the AHL to refine their skills instead of in the spotlight right away. Let them get to know Toronto, because if they are a big part of our future, they may as well do it all together. That is why I think that our lineup will be mostly toughness mixed in with our veterans and our younger guys that are ready.

TheKingSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 10:42 PM
  #90
HellasLEAF
#93Marner/#93Gilmour
 
HellasLEAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Greece
Posts: 12,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundin is my hero View Post
I honestly believe that Tlusty, Stahlberg, Hanson and Bozak should start in the minors together, get them playing well together, building chemistry and tearing it up. Also if we plan on having Stefanovitch and Dale Mitchell playing next year, it'll be great for them all to play together in the comfort of the AHL to refine their skills instead of in the spotlight right away. Let them get to know Toronto, because if they are a big part of our future, they may as well do it all together. That is why I think that our lineup will be mostly toughness mixed in with our veterans and our younger guys that are ready.
I think you can make a case for them starting in the minors except Tlusty. only a bad camp should keep him from making the team imo. The other 3, it's 50/50. depends on a lot of things.

HellasLEAF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 11:21 PM
  #91
Shaun_W_W
Registered User
 
Shaun_W_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,477
vCash: 500
Ok I tried to put all the information together in some lineups, there are VERY few spots for rookies unless we make a lot of trades...
Rookies in Bold, unsigned in Italics,

09/10 Leafs
Kulemin - Grabovski - Ponikarovsky
Blake - Stajan - Stempniak
Hagman - Mitchell - ????
Stuart - Mayers - Orr
????

Kaberle - Komisarek
Schenn - Beauchemin
White - Exelby
Van Ryn - Finger

Toskala
Gustavsson???

Marlies
Stalberg - Bozak - Tlusty
Stefanovich - Brent - Hanson
Hamilton - Slaney - D. Mitchell
Foster - Boyce - Greenop
Rogers/Berry/Scott/Giliati/Mironov???/Flaake???
DiDomenico (IR)

Stralman - Gunnarsson
Mikus - Oreskovic
Frogren - Brueckner???
Lacroix??? - Holzer???

Pogge
Reimer

Marlies should be a fun team to watch next year...

EDIT - for Beauchemin


Last edited by Shaun_W_W: 07-06-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 11:38 PM
  #92
Canad93
Registered User
 
Canad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 500
Kulemin-Grabovsky-Ponikarovsky
Hagman-Stajan-Blake
Tlusty-Mitchell-Stempniak
Orr-Mayers-Stuart

Komisarek-White
Van Ryn-Schenn
Finger-Exelby


I anticipate Kaberle will be traded...If we bring in a winger in the deal that can make our top 9 right away, I'd try to move Stempniak.
Van Ryn would also be on my list to be moved; but this is from someone who wants Taylor Hall...I really don't like that Stralman isn't getting any NHL minutes...He better be at least getting top minutes in the AHL.
Bozak will start the year in the Marlies, IMO. If he is good enough to play, great for him and better for us. We'd have to move out a veteran to make room for him as I anticipate Tlusty will make the team as well and Burke wants to build a checking line. I'd hope Mayers would be out, but I don't see it. I wouldn't move Ponikarovsky or Stajan, which leaves Blake and Hagman (if Stempniak is traded). Stajan is a good contributer who brings a good leadership presence, good penalty killing, solid defensive play and faceoffs and good offensive skill. I see no reason why anyone would trade him. Ponikarovsky I can see being a deadline tradeaway. I wouldn't move him just to move him, however, unless he will be demanding a lot of much...Higher than Antropov money. He is a good presence to have around Kuley and Grabs.

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 04:02 PM
  #93
TheSwedishRocket
Registered User
 
TheSwedishRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,154
vCash: 500
Well based on what we have right now, i came up with these lines.

Ponikarovsky - Grabovski - Kulemin
Blake - Stajan - Stempniak
Hagman - Mitchell - Bozak
Stuart - Mayers - Orr

Kaberle - Bouchemin
Komisarek - Schenn
Exelby - Van Ryn
**Finger, Frogren, White

Toskala
*Gustavsson(hopefully!)*

I think that Tlusty, Hanson, Stralman, and most of our signed prospects(Didomenico, Stalberg, Kadri, etc..) will spend a year or two with the marlies, or their junior clubs.

Based on what Hanson did in his 5 games last season, i think he needs to spend this season with the Marlies, just to adjust some more to the pace of the NHL. He already got a taste, so now he knows what he needs to work on to keep up in this league.

I put Schenn and Komisarek together because they play the same basic game and we need a shut down pairing like that to stop the likes of Crosby, Malkin, and now Gaborik.

I can see Stajan being traded away this season, so hopefully Bozak will get some second line playing time if that does happen.

If Kaberle is traded i think Stralman will step in to be our ouck moving defenceman, he's more than ready.

TheSwedishRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 04:09 PM
  #94
highoffglass
Cheers!
 
highoffglass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Markham, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,480
vCash: 500
I might have to catch some Marlies games next year, very exciting!

highoffglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 07:51 PM
  #95
oldtimerhockey
Registered User
 
oldtimerhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Uxbridge, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
On a perennial Cup contending team like Detroit that would be a 3rd line at best..

That fact is a testament as to just how far this team is still from that level.
Hold that thought for Detroit as they are losing players and getting older. Plus goaltending is a real potential weakness.....

oldtimerhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 08:05 PM
  #96
TOG26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,692
vCash: 500
Weird question, why doesn't anyone have Hanson in the lineup? I think he is in over Stuart or it is at least his spot to lose in training camp. He played pretty well for a rookie the end of last year.

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 08:09 PM
  #97
HellasLEAF
#93Marner/#93Gilmour
 
HellasLEAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Greece
Posts: 12,081
vCash: 500
Hanson is a project. I would be pretty shocked if he made the Leafs out of camp.

HellasLEAF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 08:15 PM
  #98
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 59,114
vCash: 500
If you read the guy who is more important than us posers about line-ups!

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...41411-sun.html

Quote:
"We would still like to make the playoffs next year and we'll do our best to do that," Wilson said at Lakeshore Lions Arena following the second of two on-ice sessions for the prospects.

"But I think for the next couple of years we are going to be spending a lot of time developing players. If we can make the playoffs doing that, I think that's going to be great but primarily, if I'm going to have five, six rookies on the team again -- which is a real possibility -- I have to make sure they get better as hockey players."

So if RW is working 5 - 6 rookies into HIS line up, obviously you have to put 5 - 6 rookies in your line up.

Now guess which veterans will not be there.

__________________
http://kuklaskorner.com/index.php/ps...e_corsi_issues

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 08:17 PM
  #99
TOG26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
Hanson is a project. I would be pretty shocked if he made the Leafs out of camp.
And Colin Stuart is boy wonder? The guy couldn't even play a full season with the atlanta thrashers last year.... I think Stuart is more likely marlies bound more then some of the rookies.

I expect to see:

Poni Grabo Kulemin
Blake Stajan Tlusty
Hagman Bozak Stemps
Mitchell Mayers Orr

And Hanson getting in there from time to time.

Kaberle Komi
Beauchamen Schenn
White Finger

Extras: 1) Van Ryn 2) XLBY

Toskala

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 08:18 PM
  #100
TOG26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
If you read the guy who is more important than us posers about line-ups!

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...41411-sun.html




So if RW is working 5 - 6 rookies into HIS line up, obviously you have to put 5 - 6 rookies in your line up.

Now guess which veterans will not be there.
That could be what he is expecting through the entire year due to injuries and whatnot, not all at once.

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.