HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JFJ, Please Sign Alexander Steen!

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2004, 11:57 PM
loveshack2

vCash: 500
Steen? For this year? Are you joking?

How would having a 20yr old kid in the lineup who's never set foot onto an NHL ice surface and never played the North American style of game help us in any way? I'm scared enough thinking that Carlo might get called up if we run into enough injury problems.

Old
03-29-2004, 11:57 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
I'd take Steen's youth over Gavey's experience into the playoffs.

I've seen Gavey play over the last couple years with the Leafs... he's not that good. Fourth line material at best... and that's with injuries to the regulars.

I'd definately take Steen over Gavey in the post-season.
I agree Gavey is fourth line material. But he is a very good fourth line player. He plays really smart hockey. Gavey could be as high as a third line player, just not on the Leafs. Steen is eventually going to play as a top 6 forward. Steen would not fit in on a checking line on the Leafs. I just wouldn't throw him in the fire. The playoffs is no time to make your NHL debut as a 20 year old. Besides how would Stajan feel after having an amazing rookie year and having Quinn come up to him and say sorry kid we are going with Steen. See you next year.

Old
03-30-2004, 12:03 AM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2

How would having a 20yr old kid in the lineup who's never set foot onto an NHL ice surface and never played the North American style of game help us in any way? I'm scared enough thinking that Carlo might get called up if we run into enough injury problems.
Thank you, you took the words right out of my mouth. I can just see some costly rookie mistake that ousts us from the playoffs. Quinn would be gone for sure. Stajan should be the only youngster to see the ice.

Old
03-30-2004, 12:03 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2

He'd serve as an injury replacement... I might just be too optimistic... especially after what Stajan's turned out to be.

Old
03-30-2004, 12:06 AM
richardn

Quote:
He'd serve as an injury replacement... I might just be too optimistic... especially after what Stajan's turned out to be.
The best I would do for him right now is get him free tickets for the entire playoffs.

Old
03-30-2004, 12:08 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
The best I would do for him right now is get him free tickets for the entire playoffs.
I was going to say the same for Gavey.

Old
03-30-2004, 12:09 AM
Raging Bull

As much as I want to see Steen play here, you just can't throw a kid who has no NHL experience into the playoffs just like that.

Old
03-30-2004, 12:11 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogilny8989
As much as I want to see Steen play here, you just can't throw a kid who has no NHL experience into the playoffs just like that.
I wonder what NJ is doing with Zach Parise.

I guess this thread was created after seeing NJ bring in their top prospect.

Old
03-30-2004, 12:17 AM
richardn

Quote:
I wonder what NJ is doing with Zach Parise.

I guess this thread was created after seeing NJ bring in their top prospect.
Jersey doesn't have the depth we have, they might be looking to take a big gamble on playing him.

Old
03-30-2004, 08:53 AM
Leaf Army

In recent years we've seen both Adam Mair and Jeff Farkas make their NHL debuts in the playoffs. And they both played reasonably well.

I think Steen would do fine if he were inserted into the lineup. But with our depth, I can't picture it happening.

I think Wilm, Holden, Druken and Gavey would all play ahead of Steen at this point.

Old
03-30-2004, 09:27 AM
Kenadyan

Unless Steen is an exact clone of Owen Nolan, leave him to play in Sweden until next season!!

Old
03-30-2004, 11:58 AM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
I personally don't think it'd be a big deal to give him some game time of what's left in the Regular Season ALA Stajan last year, he doesn't have to play in the playoffs guys but being in Practice with the Leafs could do him some good, he doesn't have to friggin play with Sundin and Roberts on the top line.

I think Signing him would be good perhaps playing him wouldn't be smart in such a tight playoff race where last year it made no difference(hell Stajan was a bright spot in that Ottawa game last year) I dunno, we could have him sit on his but or Practice with the Leafs.

Old
03-30-2004, 12:25 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 7 - 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM
I personally don't think it'd be a big deal to give him some game time of what's left in the Regular Season ALA Stajan last year, he doesn't have to play in the playoffs guys but being in Practice with the Leafs could do him some good, he doesn't have to friggin play with Sundin and Roberts on the top line.

I think Signing him would be good perhaps playing him wouldn't be smart in such a tight playoff race where last year it made no difference(hell Stajan was a bright spot in that Ottawa game last year) I dunno, we could have him sit on his but or Practice with the Leafs.
Wouldn't make more sense to have him play in the World Championships?

Old
03-30-2004, 12:47 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224
Wouldn't make more sense to have him play in the World Championships?
Yes I agree..

If the Leafs were injury depleted like a few years ago ..when half the St. Johns team was dressed in the playoffs than maybe ..but now you are/will be sitting out Vets once Renny and Tucker return. Steen could come here and practice all he wants on a tryout contract with TO for now, but even then there are not a lot of those available anymore ..and he migh just get in the way as well with the leafs coaching staff working on the PP or PK etc..

Old
03-30-2004, 03:09 PM
Christ

Quote:
I'm psychic.
You mean Psyco

Old
03-31-2004, 08:52 PM
kennyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
Jersey doesn't have the depth we have, they might be looking to take a big gamble on playing him.
That, and is Steen as good or as effective in playoff type games as Parise will be?

Old
03-31-2004, 09:02 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenadyan
Unless Steen is an exact clone of Owen Nolan, leave him to play in Sweden until next season!!
watching the baby leafs this season Holden looks like a clone of the playoff version of tucker...

Old
03-31-2004, 11:29 PM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto
watching the baby leafs this season Holden looks like a clone of the playoff version of tucker...
Watch what you say, he might get run at from behind by some blonde-haired mop-head goof.

Old
04-01-2004, 10:06 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyx
That, and is Steen as good or as effective in playoff type games as Parise will be?
Oh, how did Parise do in the NHL playoffs? I must have missed it. Did he drop out of college or did his team fail to make it?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
04-01-2004, 11:24 AM
Robertsson 4-ever

Send a message via ICQ to Robertsson 4-ever
I see Steen some times during the season and he has been very good, can't remember seeing anyone playing to good at his age since the Sedin's where dominating the game back here. He should definetly be in the NHL next season, he could have a quicker translation than other europeans as he is born in Canada. Swedish players often wait though, but I'm not so sure in Steen's case. Mats Sundin is maybe the biggest and most popular swede ever (exuse me Forsberg) and it could be a dream for Steen to play with him.

As for the National Team and the World Championship I think Steen has a good chance to break the roster. Swedish coach Hardy Nilsson have earlier choosen young players to play at high level (remember the Sedins (then 18-year olds), Zetterberg, Påhlsson) in WC. It could happen again. The current swedish roster doesn't inlude players from the two best teams in sweden and three players (Davidsson, Jönsson, Nordström) will join from them but Steen will defintely make that cut (Nilsson, Söderström and Rönnqvist probably disseappers). They question is how many players from NHL that will come.

Closed Thread