Notices

Goalie decision for 2009-10?

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Beukeboom Fan

vCash: 500
Goalie decision for 2009-10?

What's the best guess on the number of starts that Pavelec is going to get next year? Any thoughts on how close the organization is to giving him a serious shot as the #1?

Old
07-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Koval17

screw that, lehtonens our goalie, and will start

Old
07-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Ashe

next year providing lehtonen doesnt hurt himself.
if Lehts is healthy he'll be lucky to see a game with us this year.
If lehts goes down..then depends how many lehts is out.

Old
07-03-2009, 03:09 PM
The Sneak

Here's to hoping we have a legitimate competition and the better goalie that can win the most games for the Thrashers this winter gets the nod. If I were a betting man I'd say one of them gets moved before the season begins. If that doesn't happen I say Lehtonen gets the lions share of the work

Old
07-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
next year providing lehtonen doesnt hurt himself.
if Lehts is healthy he'll be lucky to see a game with us this year.
If lehts goes down..then depends how many lehts is out.

Whose considered the back-up right now? I thought that Hedberg's contract was up, and Pavelec was going to be the #2. Is that not the case?

Old
07-03-2009, 03:16 PM
The Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Whose considered the back-up right now? I thought that Hedberg's contract was up, and Pavelec was going to be the #2. Is that not the case?
Hedberg has one year remaining on his contract. Although I don't think it's big enough to prevent the Thrashers from eating it if Pavelec proves he's ready.

Old
07-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Ashe

Hed signed the two year deal, to back up which goalie proves himself. Turns
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
07-03-2009, 07:16 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

I'm kinda hoping that the Moose comes back to camp and they discuss making him goalie coach and keep Pavs and Lehts as 1B and 1A.

Let Pavs start out with the 2nd of back-to-backers and see how the season progresses.

That way, with Moose scratched but paid as the 3rd goalie, if something happens (read as annual groin injury) then Moose can come in and Pavs can get some more games. Adds flexibility and insurance and sets up Moose as full-time coach next season.

would also add trade value to both goalies if they can both get ice time and be successful.

Old
07-03-2009, 10:27 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky17 View Post
I'm kinda hoping that the Moose comes back to camp and they discuss making him goalie coach and keep Pavs and Lehts as 1B and 1A.

Let Pavs start out with the 2nd of back-to-backers and see how the season progresses.

That way, with Moose scratched but paid as the 3rd goalie, if something happens (read as annual groin injury) then Moose can come in and Pavs can get some more games. Adds flexibility and insurance and sets up Moose as full-time coach next season.

would also add trade value to both goalies if they can both get ice time and be successful.
There is absolutely no way Hedberg would accept this- it would be a huge slap in the face to a guy that still thinks he can play (and he's still *decent*).

Old
07-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Whaddagoal
Larsson Jailbreak.

I still say go with Hedberg as the backup unless Pavelec completely and absolutely outshines him....(which pretty much means he's more fighting for a #1b spot). If there is any hesitation to which would be better choice during camp, between Hedberg and Pavelec, then I'd go with Hedberg without a doubt.

Those few games in December when Pavelec's completely blew it (like 3 goals on the first 4 shots or something very close like that vs. Boston), left a long lasting impression of the guy on me. He was caught out of way out of position on a number of the goals, and looked shakey. He came in a game a few days later and was just as shakey. Whether its just nerves, the kid wasn't good AT ALL. Just seemed very fragile mentally.

Not saying that I think Ondrej Pavelec is completely unsuitable or hasn't improved his game, mental toughness, etc..........I just feel it would be better for the team to ensure that they have a RELIABLE and stable backup option going into next season. So, if there is any doubt in camp, stick with Hedberg......

If we are to make the playoffs next season, this team most likely won't have the luxury to give up games to only then realize that their backup isn't truly capable to backstop in the NHL. What a mess that would be...

Old
07-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Ashe

The thing with our goaltending, is that the offense has 1 offensive threat most nights..Kovy. (Now its different) So the D lets things go by sometimes.

Unless Pav's gets used to seeing 40 shots, and saving 38 of them..He isnt a starter for us.

Lehts has singlehandedly kept us in games (Hello what was it...10 games with 40+ shots?), which is why he's the starter going in. Management i think knows this too.

Old
07-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Shameus

I think the big problem is how much has Pavs matured? He showed a some problems last year in different areas. He blew some games on a skill level, lost it when sent down on a psych and mental level. And there were some games where he lost it upstairs as well. He has some very good POTENTIAL, but this team needs more. We are finally putting together a team with a real chance for the playoffs. Lehts is the one with the skill and experience to be a NHL starter and Moose's experience is needed. The real problem for the team right now is that Pavs trade value is not that high with a few starting goalies still out there and no one is really willing to trade the team what they probably feel is fair value right now. So this is the enigma the Thrashers get to deal with right now

Old
07-06-2009, 09:36 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

With the new goalies signed, and no trade done yet, obviously something has got to give. I would love to see Moose take over as goalie coach, but as already stated, that probably won't happen. If Pavs is the odd man out, and the current market for a goalie trade not great, would we be OK with only getting a decent prospect or mid round pick for him? I would love to get a 3rd line/PKer, but I don't think Dub could pull this off unless we add more.

Old
07-06-2009, 10:38 AM
AdmiralsShortShifts

We've heard a rumor that the Drew MacIntyre deal was a one-way contract....can anyone confirm or deny?

We'll miss him in Milwaukee....and were hoping he'd sign anywhere other than Atlanta/Chicago...

Old
07-06-2009, 10:43 AM
The Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsShortShifts View Post
We've heard a rumor that the Drew MacIntyre deal was a one-way contract....can anyone confirm or deny?

We'll miss him in Milwaukee....and were hoping he'd sign anywhere other than Atlanta/Chicago...

I can neither confirm nor deny officially but a one way contract does not pass the common sense test. We have our #1 and #2 from last season under team control and our top goaltending prospect is banging on the door (actually his agent and that quite loudly). Unless we're cleaning all of them out of the house I cannot see the Thrashers offering Mac a one way deal. You're going to have to face him as a Wolf. Sorry.

Old
07-06-2009, 11:06 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
Unless we're cleaning all of them out of the house I cannot see the Thrashers offering Mac a one way deal. You're going to have to face him as a Wolf. Sorry.
I don't see us getting rid of both goalies ... but if we do, a one-way contract makes sense.

Honestly, I doubt we'll know anything about our goalie situation one way or the other until September.

Old
07-06-2009, 11:47 AM
toph2o

The only thing a one-way contract means is that a player gets paid the NHL salary in the contract regardless of where he's assigned.

Old
07-06-2009, 11:49 AM
The Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by toph2o View Post
The only thing a one-way contract means is that a player gets paid the NHL salary in the contract regardless of where he's assigned.
Understood. And THAT doesn't pass the common sense test either from a Thrashers perspective. Hockey on a shoestring.

Old
07-06-2009, 11:51 AM
hydromel

Quote:
Correct. He will be playing in Chicago until the injuries start piling up.

Old
07-06-2009, 01:16 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
It still doesn't make sense. Why would we pay a goaltender a NHL salary to play in the AHL if we're not getting rid of both Lehts and Pavs? It's an egregious waste of money. And, let's face it, Atlanta doesn't have money to burn like that.

Old
07-06-2009, 01:32 PM
kracker1

So…did DW sign another goalie? Perhaps Peter Mannino from the Islanders system?

Old
07-06-2009, 01:44 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracker1 View Post
So…did DW sign another goalie? Perhaps Peter Mannino from the Islanders system?
Yep, he's on the NHL.com roster

Old
07-06-2009, 02:37 PM
kracker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Yep, he's on the NHL.com roster
Well, that makes a goalie deal even more likely, it seems. Though maybe they are simply restocking the Wolves & Glads if Krahn is being lost to the Dallas system.

Closed Thread