HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rank the playoff victories

View Poll Results: Which series victory is your favourtie?
2002 ECF Quarterfinals: Canes beat Devils 4 - 2 (Revenge, part 1: See you in hell) 1 3.45%
2002 ECF Semifinals: Canes beat Canadiens 4 - 2 (Miracle @ Molson) 1 3.45%
2002 ECF Finals: Canes beat Leafs 4 - 2 (Martin 'He must be Jelly, cuz he's on a roll' Gelinas) 3 10.34%
2006 ECF Quarterfinals: Canes beat Canadiens 4 - 2 (The Cam Ward Show) 0 0%
2006 ECF Semifinals: Canes beat Devils 4 - 1 (Revenge, part 2: Beaten like a red-headed step child) 0 0%
2006 ECF Finals: Canes beat Sabres 4 - 3 (Bu... but... but... we were injured!) 7 24.14%
2009 ECF Quearterfinals: Canes beat Devils 4 - 3 (Revenge, part 3: It's a Bump-A-Marty-Party!) 11 37.93%
2009 ECF Semifinals: Cames beat Bruins 4 - 3 (Don't poke the bear... SUCKER PUNCH IT!) 6 20.69%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-05-2009, 11:53 AM
GIN ANTONIC

vCash: 500
Rank the playoff victories

So it's summer and we have nothing to talk about seeing as JR has maybe one move left and we all know what it will be. The bump of some of the GDTs got me thinking. Which playoff series were the best. I'm only using series that we won and I'm automatically taking out the SCF win against Edmonton in '06. I assume that would be the overwhelming winner.

So basically which series win was your favourite?

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 12:11 PM
GIN ANTONIC

For me, it was always be beating Toronto to get to the SCF in 2002. Being from Toronto and having all my friends pissed off and suicidal was priceless. I wore my Canes jersey to school the next day with pride. Sooo many dirty looks on the subway. Got beat up pretty good at school that day but it was worth it to leave Toronto in it's endless state of misery. Although both wins this year were pretty amazing. Very close second and third.

Old
07-05-2009, 12:41 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

The last - vs Bruins. Do you remember what they fan says in all time?
Something like this - "We will destroy your team, Chara will shut down Staal too easily, Ward is nowhere to Thomas, your team is joke..." and etc, etc... Really big, big homers.

So...
#1 - vs Bruins.
#2 - vs Sabres.
#3 - Miracle Molson... and everyone else

Thanks for great memories team.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 12:55 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
Something like this - "We will destroy your team, Chara will shut down Staal too easily, Ward is nowhere to Thomas, your team is joke..." and etc, etc... Really big, big homers.

So...
#1 - vs Bruins.
#2 - vs Sabres.
#3 - Miracle Molson... and everyone else

Thanks for great memories team.
I can't decide which win was more epic between NJ or BOS this year. NJ was such a slugfest and the Canes did some AMAZING things in that series. But there's something to be said for beating the no. 1 seed in their barn in OT and having public enemy no. 1, Scotty Walker score the series clinching goal. I just don't know...

BTW, you forgot to vote!

Old
07-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Skydog

going to go with the first victory over the devils. After the previous year where they pounded our guys into the ground, combined with the history the franchise had of playoff futility, it was so great to get the monkey off their back especially against that team.

Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 01:00 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
This is tough to be honest. Before this year I would have said, without a doubt, the Canes-Sabres series. I honestly have that series right on par with the Oilers one. In terms of the hockey played it might have been even better. Five one goal games, only one that was never in doubt (the Gerber Redemption) and Doug Weights Promise following Game 6 only to deliver the tieing goal in game 7. In terms of the actual hockey played that was probably the best series the Canes have ever been in and probably the best series we've seen this decade now that it's all said and done.

That said, this years first round series against New Jersey comes damn close to it. The last tenth of a second heroics, Ward vs Marty, Parise vs Staal

I'm still voting for the Buffalo series though

overall here's how I'd rank the series:
1) Buffalo vs Carolina 2006 - 9.9/10
2) New Jersey vs Carolina 2009 - 9.75/10
3) Edmonton vs Carolina 2006 - 8.75/10
4) Boston vs Carolina 2009 - 8.7/10

Boston we should have had in 6 and Edmonton we should have had in 5. The Edmonton one was especially brutal as the Canes only lost due to stupidity, but the fact that there were 4 great games in the series (1,3,4,7) makes up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
That was the part that made that series so sweet to me. I have never seen a teams fanbase so dilusional that they are superior in every way. Bringing up the regular season series as if it were at ALL relevant to this one was stupidity. To say that we were full of crap when we said "the regular season is irrelevant" when they themselves turned an 0-8 record (not just 0-4 like we did to them) against Montreal into a 7 game series the year before was the pincale of hypocrasy and homerism. I really can't wait for that team to come back down to earth and for the bandwagon to break down.

Oh and the media, don't even get me started on the Boston media in that series. If people thought that the Detroit, Toronto and Edmonton media were condescending towards us? HA! These Boston ****** took the cake. I'm honestly glad that Mike Shalin from the Globe wasn't among them, knowing him and his family back when I lived up there is one of the big reasons I started following hockey in the first place.

Last edited by DaveG: 07-05-2009 at 02:19 PM.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

I have absolutely no idea what to vote for. It would probably be between the two this year and Buffalo of 06, but at the same time it's hard to ignore 2002.

07-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Tank King Jimmy
DO LESS BETTER

I went with the New Jersey series this year, with the Buffalo series in 06 a close second. Very tough decision. But the Jersey series was just so back and fourth, and had the Jussi .2 seconds left goal, and Marty throwing his tantrum, then Gleason saving the puck for Pitkanen's pass to Jokinen, then Staal sealing the deal.

All that aside, the Bruins series was the most gratifying, for the reasons Dave and Canicho talked about.

Tank King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 01:47 PM
CioCio

I went with the Devils series this season. Just an overall sweet series to watch, and it was fun to watch the Devils difference makers at the beginning of the series slowly turn to non-factors, while our true performers emerged. Didn't go with Bruins because although Game 7 was a treat, there were a few times that series where I just had a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

CioCio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 03:19 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
This is tough to be honest. Before this year I would have said, without a doubt, the Canes-Sabres series. I honestly have that series right on par with the Oilers one. In terms of the hockey played it might have been even better. Five one goal games, only one that was never in doubt (the Gerber Redemption) and Doug Weights Promise following Game 6 only to deliver the tieing goal in game 7. In terms of the actual hockey played that was probably the best series the Canes have ever been in and probably the best series we've seen this decade now that it's all said and done.

That said, this years first round series against New Jersey comes damn close to it. The last tenth of a second heroics, Ward vs Marty, Parise vs Staal

I'm still voting for the Buffalo series though

overall here's how I'd rank the series:
1) Buffalo vs Carolina 2006 - 9.9/10
2) New Jersey vs Carolina 2009 - 9.75/10
3) Edmonton vs Carolina 2006 - 8.75/10
4) Boston vs Carolina 2009 - 8.7/10

Boston we should have had in 6 and Edmonton we should have had in 5. The Edmonton one was especially brutal as the Canes only lost due to stupidity, but the fact that there were 4 great games in the series (1,3,4,7) makes up for it.

That was the part that made that series so sweet to me. I have never seen a teams fanbase so dilusional that they are superior in every way. Bringing up the regular season series as if it were at ALL relevant to this one was stupidity. To say that we were full of crap when we said "the regular season is irrelevant" when they themselves turned an 0-8 record (not just 0-4 like we did to them) against Montreal into a 7 game series the year before was the pincale of hypocrasy and homerism. I really can't wait for that team to come back down to earth and for the bandwagon to break down.

Oh and the media, don't even get me started on the Boston media in that series. If people thought that the Detroit, Toronto and Edmonton media were condescending towards us? HA! These Boston ****** took the cake. I'm honestly glad that Mike Shalin from the Globe wasn't among them, knowing him and his family back when I lived up there is one of the big reasons I started following hockey in the first place.
I agree with what you're saying. But I'd say there was 5 great games in the SCF. Game 5 despite the outcome was a good game. I guess I'm just not as pumped by the Buffalo series. Yeah, it was a big-time slugfest, but for some reason I never thought we'd lose it. I guess for a lot of you guys, the Sabres hate has much to do with it. Although I suppose most of that was from that specific series. I guess because I wasn't on HF at that time, I didn't really feel the vitriol between the fan bases. Whereas I know tons of leafs and habs fans so there was much more to work with there.

Last edited by GIN ANTONIC: 07-06-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old
07-05-2009, 03:44 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
That's the thing though. Aside from trailing 2-0 heading into Montreal (and I was still convinced that we had a shot at that series because of our history there) I didn't think there was a single series we would lose that year. Even after losing games 5 and 6 against Edmonton I thought it was ours because of HOW they lost game 6. Had it been a close game 6 where the Canes played well and still lost? THAT would have injected some doubt into me. As is I figured the Oilers had us exactly where we wanted them, they were cocky heading in after dominating a game where they could do no wrong according to the refs, and the Canes were PISSED and all business.

The Buffalo series was the closest I came to believing that the Canes could lose it. Before that series even started I said the two teams were practically mirror images of eachother and home ice could decide it. It had little to do with the bandwagon fans (here and at the arena) to be brutally honest, that just made me lose the vast majority of the respect I had for them or their fan base. I mean I don't like New Jersey either, but I still respect the hell out of them and either way it wouldn't promote or taint my feelings about the 09, 02 or 00 series against them. But those two series (NJ 09 and Buffalo 06) were both essentially classics in terms of competitiveness and two really good teams at their best. There was never a point in either where I said it was as good as over, Boston and Edmonton I though were as good as over when they went 3-1 Canes.

I'm not trying to sway anyones opinions here for the record, just stating why I thought these two series were the best two in Carolina's history. I'm completely cool with someone having Montreal 02, 06, Boston 09, Devs 02 or Toronto 02 as their favorite. About the only one I might question your sanity on is Devs 06, and we at least had the "Happy Birthday" song going at Marty in that one.

Last edited by DaveG: 07-05-2009 at 03:53 PM.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 04:16 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

I voted for the Buffalo series simply because it is the one of that group that i would have hated losing most. Just thinking about what it would have been like if the Buffalo fans would have come out on top just makes my skin crawl and my blood simmer.

I was in Albuquerque at the time on vacation and my wife and i had to watch the last 3 games in a bar full of transplanted Sabres fans. Who knew there were so many Sabres fans in New Mexico? (Insert really offensive Sabres joke here)

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 04:49 PM
GIN ANTONIC

The 2002 run just has such a sense of nostalgia to it. It was 7 years ago, I was 17. Now it's not like I was a 5 year old kid watching my favourite player score the SCF winning goal but living in Toronto and being basically the only Canes fan within a 1,000 km radius (yes, we use kilometers up here ) or however far away Guerzy or CC were at the time, gave me a 'Me against the world' mentality. My friends would heckle me and whenever I wore my jersey around town people would yell at me or throw things... it was great! It just made winning all that more special. And rubbing it in their faces was just delish. It sounds totally retarded but I almost felt like the Canes were winning it for me and me suffering through these Toronto fans with unwavering faith was my test. It was also the Canes first deep run in the playoffs. You always remember your first right? Canes were also a rag-tag group. Nobody gave them a chance to do anything. Not unlike this year, but if you look at the names on that team... it's like WOW! How the hell did we do that? You gotta love the underdog coming up huge and that they did. They shut a lot of people up that year. They put up a hell of a fight.

Last edited by GIN ANTONIC: 07-05-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old
07-05-2009, 05:00 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I'll go ahead and do what the topic asks:

1. Buffalo 2006
2. New Jersey 2009
3. Boston 2009
4. Leafs 2002
5. Canadiens 2006
6. Canadiens 2002
7. New Jersey 2002
8. New Jersey 2006

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 05:22 PM
WoodGundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAINIAC View Post
The 2002 run just has such a sense of nostalgia to it. It was 7 years ago, I was 17. Now it's like I was a 5 year old kid watching my favourite player score the SCF winning goal but living in Toronto and being basically the only Canes fan within a 1,000 km radius (yes, we use kilometers up here ) or however far away Guerzy or CC were at the time, gave me a 'Me against the world' mentality. My friends would heckle me and whenever I wore my jersey around town people would yell at me or throw things... it was great! It just made winning all that more special. And rubbing it in their faces was just delish. It sounds totally retarded but I almost felt like the Canes were winning it for me and me suffering through these Toronto fans with unwavering faith was my test. It was also the Canes first deep run in the playoffs. You always remember your first right? Canes were also a rag-tag group. Nobody gave them a chance to do anything. Not unlike this year, but if you look at the names on that team... it's like WOW! How the hell did we do that? You gotta love the underdog coming up huge and that they did. They shut a lot of people up that year. They put up a hell of a fight.
This.

I was living in Halifax at the time. No way to describe how orgasmic the Canadian media was at the thought of a Toronto-Detroit matchup. Many analysts gave the edge in the series to the Leafs for no other reason than it was their birthright as an original six team.

I can't imagine hating another team like I hated the Leafs back in the day, which made it that much more satisfying. But the franchise has been such a mess for so long now it's hard to hate them like I once did.

WoodGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 05:34 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
I'll go ahead and do what the topic asks:

1. Buffalo 2006
2. New Jersey 2009
3. Boston 2009
4. Leafs 2002
5. Canadiens 2006
6. Canadiens 2002
7. New Jersey 2002
8. New Jersey 2006
I think that's fair. I don't have the Buffalo series as high as others but this is how I'd rank them.

1. Leafs 2002
2. New Jersey 2009
3. Boston 2009
4. Buffalo 2006
5. Canadiens 2006
6. Canadiens 2002
7. New Jersey 2006
8. New Jersey 2002 (almost have no recollection of this series)

Old
07-05-2009, 06:00 PM
ncsu1

I can't even decide the biggest moment of this year's playoffs (for me) let alone all the years. If you look at just this year's playoffs, I think NJ Game 4 is a little more special to me, just because I was there and that was simply stunning. Had either of the Game 7s been at home either one could easily be the top moment for me just because of the entire experience (I love the crowd/stadium experience).

ncsu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 06:47 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAINIAC View Post
I think that's fair. I don't have the Buffalo series as high as others but this is how I'd rank them.

1. Leafs 2002
2. New Jersey 2009
3. Boston 2009
4. Buffalo 2006
5. Canadiens 2006
6. Canadiens 2002
7. New Jersey 2006
8. New Jersey 2002 (almost have no recollection of this series)
To me, a lot of it has to do with fans I met during each of these runs and the joy I had sticking it in their faces.

All of these are fantastic...many franchises don't have 1 series like these in the last 9 years, let alone 9 of them (*cough*FLORIDA*cough*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsu1 View Post
I can't even decide the biggest moment of this year's playoffs (for me) let alone all the years. If you look at just this year's playoffs, I think NJ Game 4 is a little more special to me, just because I was there and that was simply stunning. Had either of the Game 7s been at home either one could easily be the top moment for me just because of the entire experience (I love the crowd/stadium experience).
I would certainly agree with that sentiment. I rank Game 2 against New Jersey in 06' pretty highly for that reason alone. I distinctly remember the chants of "GOAL! GOAL! GOAL!" on review of Wallin's winner.

I had game 4 tickets this year but I couldn't make it

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 07:09 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Maybe I have a short memory but I picked the Boston series. I don't think there was a more whiny, arrogant fanbase who thought they entitled to move on because they were the #1 seed in the East, played hockey where it snows thus making them "real, knowledgeable" hockey fans, etc, etc. It was especially nice to see their meltdown after Walker scored his GWG. I still don't think the majority of their fans will ever give us credit. They were much worse than the Montreal fans in '06, IMO.

The Devils series is a close 2nd just because of how fast our fate changed in the waning minutes of game 7. Most of the games in the series were close and we could have easily been sitting at home for the rest of the playoffs after that series. Their fans were pretty bitter as well.

Buffalo in '06 is a close 3rd for some of the already mentioned reasons. Bitter fans, close games, etc.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 07:24 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I really can't wait for that team to come back down to earth and for the bandwagon to break down.
I'm pretty sure that both those things happened at the exact instant when Walker bulged the twine and Thomas was launched like a rocket onto the golf course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caner Soze View Post
Maybe I have a short memory but I picked the Boston series. I don't think there was a more whiny, arrogant fanbase
Winning the Boston series was sweet, but NOTHING tastes as sweet as the tears of disillusioned and confused Devils fans.

I suffered through the 2001 series, watching as Scott Stevens KOed Ron Francis and Shane Willis, read the snickering media reports, and heard the snide comments and superior attitude of the New Jersey players. Not a class act among them, coaches included.

Beating them in 2002 was sweet. Beating them in 2006 was sweeter. Beating them this year with 1:25 left and them having a 1 goal lead? SWEETEST.

2009 Devils series is #1 for me...at least until 2010, when we might play and beat them again. Please!!

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 08:58 PM
totaltank

I have several answers and it all depends on the question.

The "Best" series? This to me means the series that had the best hockey and the best competition. That would have to be the Buffalo series in 2006. There was a serious hate going on between those two teams and fanbases, and every goal was a like a dagger. I'm not sure I've ever wanted to win a series that badly.

Then there's the "Most exciting" series. I've been following sports for about 35 years, and I've worked for a few "big four" sports teams. That can make you a little jaded. You have ups and downs, but it's always in the back of your mind that it just a game played by a bunch of grown-up kids. I can't remember the last time I jumped up and down, screamed and high-fived while watching a sporting event. That's what the 2009 Devils series did to me.

Then there's the "Most memorable" series. To me, the most memorable series will always be the 2002 Cup Final. To be in the Final, against Detroit, with the entire hockey world forced to pay attention to us, the tailgating starting to take hold as our "signature," in the first Finals game ever in North Carolina, after three upsets ... I honestly think nothing will ever replace Game 3 of the Detroit series as the most memorable time in Hurricanes history, despite the Cup win, but I'm sure I'm in the minority there.

The one series that really doesn't stand out in any way, aside from having the most on the line, is the Cup-winning series against Edmonton. It was great and all. And I will always be able to say I was there when the Canes hoisted the Cup, but there was nothing overly compelling about the series. Even Game 7 was a little anticlimactic, since Game 5 felt like the "coronation" that got away.

The question in the poll: Which series victory is your "favorite"? Well, putting all the above together, and *including* the 2006 Final, I'd probably pick this year's Devils series as my favorite. It just had a little bit of everything, and you just can't top the late-game heroics. I mean seriously, we went from being out of the playoffs to pulling a major upset in the span of 45 seconds. We won a game with 0.2 seconds left. Some of the most incredible finishes in NHL playoff history, not just our little part of it. The Jokinen/Staal Game 7 thing caused me to jump off the couch ... twice. Just incredible.

totaltank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Wolfpuck
McSavior

Although it will probably give me heart problems and an early death, looking back, I enjoyed the close series over the ones where we smoked the other team (not often, 2006 against New Jersey is the only one that comes to mind, the others at least went to 6 games).

1. New Jersey 2009 (the most even, back and forth series I've ever seen)
2. Boston 2009 (game 7 OT win almost makes up for stinky efforts in games 5 and 6)
3. Buffalo 2006 (another back and forth war against a hated rival)
4. Montreal 2002 (I only chose this over 2006 because of the Miracle in Molson)
5. Montreal 2006 (we love to spot the Habs a few games before we start playing, eh?)
6. Toronto 2002 (3 OT wins, 3-0 in Toronto, Irbe shutout)
7. New Jersey 2002 (flexing home ice muscles, Kevin Weekes makes "the save")
8. New Jersey 2006 (steamroller, game 2 had a nice comeback, but nothing else was in doubt)

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 04:50 PM
impeach estaalo

New Jersey 2009, especially Game 7. THAT WAS COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS. I wanted to hug everyone ever after that. I was so happy after Jokinen scored, but was worried about overtime and then ERIC ****ING STAAL KILLS BRODEUR. DASFJKLASDJFKLSDA;3

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:46 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Babchuk View Post
New Jersey 2009, especially Game 7. THAT WAS COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS. I wanted to hug everyone ever after that. I was so happy after Jokinen scored, but was worried about overtime and then ERIC ****ING STAAL KILLS BRODEUR. DASFJKLASDJFKLSDA;3
It wasn't just that he scored.

It wasn't just that he scored late.

It was the WAY that he scored.

Staal just said "I'm putting an end to this ****ing game RIGHT NOW!"

The body language of that rush and that shot are incredible, watch it again. He's not trying to score, he's GOING to score.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:56 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Staal is indeed quite a sniper, not just he scored and was going to score; he calculated precisely the angle he should shoot at NJ defenseman and had the puck change direction just barely enough to deflect it into the net.

wow... some skills he has.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote