HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Signing European Prospects Before Playoffs?

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2004, 01:40 PM
leafaholix*

vCash: 500
Signing European Prospects Before Playoffs?

Does anyone know if an NHL team is eligible to sign a prospect that is no longer playing in Europe because his team has been eliminated from contention... ?

The player that I'm asking about is Alexander Steen in particular... he played the season in Sweden and his team was eliminated a couple days ago. I wonder if a European prospect playing in Europe has ever been signed to play in the NHL/AHL at this time of the season... ?

Links would be greatly appreciated.

Old
03-29-2004, 01:53 PM
davemess

Dont know about signing him and bringing him into the NHL......... Penguins did it with a player (Nemec) a few weeks ago who is now playing in the AHL.

Old
03-29-2004, 01:53 PM
Jag68Sid87

I'm pretty sure that all Europeans are free to sign with an NHL club ONCE THEIR CLUB SEASONS end. Remember when Esa Tikkanen came over to North America for the first time, he was immediately inserted into the Oilers roster for their playoff run. He had never played in the NHL prior to that.

The only problem I see with the Leafs potentially signing Steen right now is that he doesn't qualify under their current "Over the Hill Gang" philosophy.

Old
03-29-2004, 01:55 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess
Dont know about signing him and bringing him into the NHL......... Penguins did it with a player (Nemec) a few weeks ago who is now playing in the AHL.
Thank you!

I forgot about that signing.

Old
03-30-2004, 05:59 AM
DJ Spinoza

I think the Pens had it planned to sign Nemec beforehand, because he is able to play in the AHL playoffs. Apparently he was put on the clear day roster, they just didn't finalize his contract until a week or so after he was in the US.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the AHL, but that's the best of my knowledge on this situation. I would guess that Steen could be signed and play in the AHL, just not the playoffs unless they already had him on the clear day roster, which is doubtful.

Last year, Malone was signed and played in the final few games for the Baby Pens. He wasn't able to play in the playoffs because of the clear-day thing I believe, but he still stayed with the team and practiced, if I remember right.

Old
03-30-2004, 06:20 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
enless the rules changed in the last two years to play in the NHL this year--all players had to have contracts in place before the trade deadline--enless it is a team already out of the playoffs(Ithink)---I believe it is called the Rexi Roustalainen rule--oilers did two years in a row. Only players who were playing what falls under junior leagues can sign and play. With the ecception being independant teams in leagues like AHL, ECHL, WHA2 and what not. The NhL and the International(europe) teams got to gether to stop NHL teams from raiding teams elimanated from their league and joing the NHL(and to prevent NHL teams from bulking up). The World Championships are big business in Europe and that when countries make their money

Old
03-31-2004, 01:56 AM
Das Rancor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTheHero
Perhaps you mean Reijo Ruotsalainen
Reijo "Rexi" Ruotsalainen

Old
04-01-2004, 05:52 AM
Das Rancor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTheHero
I know that he is Rexi but he misspelled his last name
Anteeksipyyntöni... *kumartaa*

Old
04-01-2004, 04:07 PM
Ch 4 Action News

Boston Bruins signed Mariusz Czerkawski prior to the playoffs.

Closed Thread