HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Turns out people don't like our signing of Ohlund ...

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2009, 06:25 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

vCash: 500
Turns out people don't like our signing of Ohlund ...

and not for the reasons you'd think: Questions Worth Asking on Ohlund

I admit I was surprised to see it so early but what is so complicated are the deal? It's not like, "Ok, we'll pay you $500,000 the first season, $7 mil the next, $2 mil the next, ...".

It's a front loaded deal that seems, to me, like it could be easily presented and explained to the agent and the player.

Old
07-05-2009, 06:49 PM
ITZABLITZBOLT

we all like conspiracy theories?
or there just JELUZ CUZ WE GOT THE DYANMIC DUO HGEDMAN OHLUND WOO

Old
07-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Screw them... they are jelous because we now have the dynamic duo

Old
07-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Symphony X

Wow, so Gallagher, Brooks and Mirtle all had bad things to say about the Lightning. If the Unholy Trinity of dingbat hockey writers is displeased the Bolts must have made a great signing. The only thing missing is Garrioch, then they would have some real superstar wah wah wah punch.

Old
07-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
Not only is the article inaccurate, it's a non issue.

Besides, the Lightning can talk to any agent they want, it would be incredibly hard to prove tampering, like almost impossible.

07-05-2009, 07:22 PM
James Mirtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony X View Post
Wow, so Gallagher, Brooks and Mirtle all had bad things to say about the Lightning. If the Unholy Trinity of dingbat hockey writers is displeased the Bolts must have made a great signing. The only thing missing is Garrioch, then they would have some real superstar wah wah wah punch.
Hah, now that's funny. I've got fans in Tampa, then?

Look, I'm not saying anything untoward is going on: I'm just wondering how on earth you can get a guy signed to a deal like that so quickly, without him considering even a single other offer. It's worth asking the GM and agent involved in order to clear it up.

It's a very serious issue if they're talking before noon.

Old
07-05-2009, 07:25 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mirtle View Post

Look, I'm not saying anything untoward is going on: I'm just wondering how on earth you can get a guy signed to a deal like that so quickly, without him considering even a single other offer. It's worth asking the GM and agent involved in order to clear it up.

Not if they asked permission and were granted it from the Canucks who knew Ohlund was leaving.

I dont see a problem. The only problem is people need something ***** and moan about when it comes to the Lightning and since the "circus" seems for the time being to have left town you glorified bloggers have nothing else to talk negatively about.

As an aside I love the Brooks quote. "A deal we believe will be one of the worst of the summer"... really? Im so impressed with that comment I dont know what to say in response.

Old
07-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Quote:

Bettman: "Did you tamper with Ohlund?"
Koules: "No"
JP Barry: "No"

Old
07-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Not if they asked permission and were granted it from the Canucks who knew Ohlund was leaving.

I dont see a problem. The only problem is people need something ***** and moan about when it comes to the Lightning and since the "circus" seems for the time being to have left town you glorified bloggers have nothing else to talk negatively about.

As an aside I love the Brooks quote. "A deal we believe will be one of the worst of the summer"... really? Im so impressed with that comment I dont know what to say in response.
It's Larry Brooks. Shouldn't he be paying for everyone's internet since he "bet" us that Lecavalier will be traded to Montreal at the draft.

If Brooks believes it then it's a good deal.

Old
07-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Brooks needs to shut his yap.

Old
07-05-2009, 07:40 PM
James Mirtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
And all I'm saying is that that's worth asking Lawton. Otherwise I can't see how they got the deal done that quickly.

No one's making a big deal out of this. Well, maybe Gallagher.

As for the circus business, the No. 1 reason I was so critical of the OK Hockey gang was because of how their decisions were going to impact the on-ice product and the fans. I'll stand behind anything I wrote with regards to that — it's unfortunate the franchise had to go through that and hopefully they have the financial means to keep the team competitive.

Credit to you guys for sticking with the team. The blueline looks far better this time around, and they'll be better from the start.

Old
07-05-2009, 07:40 PM
ultra63

Only scary part for me was "last year’s deals-only one in the first two hours, and it was the Lightning signing Radim Vrbata after 50 minutes for $9-million over three years."

Old
07-05-2009, 08:47 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

"Negativity is the dessert of the dying." That's what we have here. The group of guys who made their name bashing OK hockey now MUST continue to do it or lose all credibility. It's just laziness and desperation from writers who don't know any better. Stop the craziness and actually say, "Oh hey, nice signing. I'm glad you're on the right track." Put that in your article, then I might read something you write, okay? Writing a hockey column to make yourself sound clever and engage in schadenfreude is NOT A CAREER PLAN.

Old
07-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Well it's computer age, it's not hard to get the info out quickly. Lawton can easily have an excel spreadsheet or something of that nature ready and email it to Ohlund's agent. Ohlund looks at it, likes what he sees and the situation, deal is done. Hossa and the Hawks apparantly had an agreement within the first half hour or so as well, that was a 12 year deal.

Old
07-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Jag68Sid87

I've been critical of Lightning management, and especially ownership and Melrose recently, but I think Lawton hit one out of the yard with Ohlund. I'm not sure any team made a better value acquisition, when considering the investment they made to him and what investment they will make in Hedman. When Hedman was drafted, if you were to start asking yourself what defenseman would be a perfect partner for him...Ohlund's name probably would come to mind instantly (especially since Lidstrom is never available).

Right now, and I know a lot can happen before camp, I think the Bolts are a playoff team in the East. Ohlund and Matt Walker were tremendous acquisitions, and with Ranger and Meszaros coming back from injury, your defensive depth is outstanding all of a sudden.

If you can land a top-six RW and backup goalie, you become not only playoff-worthy but dangerous.

imo.

Old
07-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Acehawk74
HFBoards Sponsor

Guys, while Brooks, and Gallagher are the true idiots here, James Mirtle isn't one of them imo. I honestly think he's just simply saying its a question worth asking. In this case, I don't think he's taking potshots at the Lightning. Now did I agree with your initial assessments of the ownership group Mr. Mirtle? No, I did not, I felt you never gave them a fair shake; but they did make some mistakes, which obviously cannot be denied. At any rate, I just thought I should pop in and say let's make sure we point the finger at the ones who really are irresponsible journalists, and not just throw James Mirtle in there because he thinks its a question worth asking. Mirtle backs up his stuff with good discussion and educated opinions about situations... and just like with a lot of journalists, although there will be obvious disagreements with comments that are made by them, at least he will show up, discuss, and debate the issues in a respectful manner.

And yes, you do have fans in Tampa, probably more than you know =) There are a lot of very hardcore fans of this team =)

Just my opinion of him, honestly, he's one of the few Toronto media members and bloggers who I put some serious stock and respect towards.

Gallagher and Brooks however, can go pound sand.

Old
07-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Luap23

Every year there are those quick signings that happen 20-30 minutes after FA starts. If Vancouver felt it was tampering, i`m sure they'd be talking to league and an investigation would be going on and all that ****.

Old
07-05-2009, 10:24 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Phillips View Post
Brooks needs to shut his yap.
Quote:
Guaranteed to happen at the Entry Draft in Montreal, or the money back you spent to read this on the Internet: Vincent Lecavalier traded to the Canadiens.
yep.

Old
07-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Peter Griffin

I just assumed that Gillis had given Barry permission to speak to teams prior to July 1st since it was clear the Canucks had no intention of giving him an offer. In any case, Tampa having Ohlund and his near $4M cap hit until he is 40 is punishment enough IMO.

Old
07-05-2009, 10:48 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I just assumed that Gillis had given Barry permission to speak to teams prior to July 1st since it was clear the Canucks had no intention of giving him an offer. In any case, Tampa having Ohlund and his near $4M cap hit until he is 40 is punishment enough IMO.
Uh, what happens when you assume? Everyone, leave it alone. There was speculation we would get Ohlund for months. I'm sure he or his agent knew an offer was coming and we gave him what he wanted. Anyone consider us getting Hedman was a big part of why he signed the deal? Done.

Old
07-06-2009, 05:13 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Brooks Can't take anything seriously from him

07-06-2009, 07:23 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I have to ask you, Mirtle, why us? This happens with other teams all the time, history has shown it time and time again, yet we are singled out.

Mind you, this happens in every sport, too.

Old
07-06-2009, 09:23 AM
ChicagoBlues

I'm only a minimal fan of the Lightning, but this is easily the best signing so far imo. Mirtle (joke) and his bunch are doing just what most of the poster on here are saying; being negative because that's all they got. Whining about nothing to make a show. How pathetic has America's media base become that most sports talk radio and internet boogers complain so much? So much negativity!!

I'll tell you why Ohlund signed so quickly. Hedman. Who wouldn't want to play with him? Ohlund took the opportunity while it was present instead of waiting around and watching some other great d-man usurp the deal. Ohlund's signing is a win on many levels.

**** those bonehead wannabes.

Closed Thread