HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(HF Story) Mikhnov Just Visiting?

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2004, 03:22 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
(HF Story) Mikhnov Just Visiting?

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...readed&order=0

This is the Exclusive Interview with Alexei Mikhnov that I was granted by the Oilers. The conversation I had with Mikhnov and Alexei Semenov (who played interpreter) took place last Wednesday after the Oiler practice. Mikhnov skated with the team for the first time the next day.

Kevin Lowe's comments are from my discussion with him at Friday night's game, you'll read all of his comments in the K-Lowe interview very soon, this week in fact.

Old
03-29-2004, 03:31 PM
H-Bear

Excellent read Guy. I'm looking forward to the next story.

I really hope the Oilers can ink this guy in the summer and convince him to play in the AHL while the CBA is sorted out, and try out for the Oilers if/when the season starts.

Old
03-29-2004, 03:45 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
“The team was really tight, it was all for one and one for all,” he described. “It was too bad we didn’t make the playoffs because we were really making a strong go of it at the end. It was a slow start for the first 10-20 games until we started winning and the team went up the standings but it wasn’t good enough.”

By the sounds of it, he's already playing for the Oilers

Old
03-29-2004, 03:47 PM
Slats432

A fine article....but...Rackafrackan gall darn no good for nothing tarnation CBA labour strifing....oooooooooooohhhhh I hate that rabbit.
[/yosemite rant]

If the CBA was done, this guy would be coming over. Bah.

Old
03-29-2004, 04:12 PM
elphy101

Great read Guy. Thanks again for all efforts. HF readers greatly appreciate it.

Old
03-29-2004, 04:41 PM
Mr Sakich

Guy, what do you suppose Lowe maent when he said that Rusian contracts aren't worth much? Are they not guaranteed? Is the Russian federation making bogus claims about the amount of players earning big dollars?

Old
03-29-2004, 04:41 PM
TkachevYak2Slepy
HFBoards Sponsor

Excellent article Guy as always.
Aways enjoy your writing, gives us a clear insight where our prospects are at.
CBA aside, which complicates everything, hopefully we'll be seeing him in the AHL next year ( he is Ukranian and not Russian, so it shouldn't be as much an issue as $$)

Old
03-29-2004, 04:47 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
Guy, what do you suppose Lowe maent when he said that Rusian contracts aren't worth much? Are they not guaranteed? Is the Russian federation making bogus claims about the amount of players earning big dollars?
the Russian contracts aren't guaranteed. In regards to the bogus claims portion, that appears to be what lowe was insinuating. I'm pretty curious about that too.Guy?

Old
03-29-2004, 04:47 PM
Bohologo

Allow me to fawn over Guy's work, as always.

Great job on lifting the veil on this mystery-part of convincing Mikhnov to come to Canada is showing that the fans are behind him, and stories like this will send him a strong message that he's expected-sooner rather than later, hopefully.

Old
03-29-2004, 04:59 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Hey Guy , great article

I was wondering if you got any impression of what he thought of the Dallas game?

We were fairly loud that night (not that we can't pump it up another few notches for the playoffs

Old
03-29-2004, 05:25 PM
momentai

I'm not sure if this tells us a heck of a lot more than what we could have guessed at. I suppose this confirms his desire to play in the NHL. There's still an awful lot of questions that need to be answered and you posed a couple of them in the article. We probably won't find the answers to those questions until the offseason or the year after... I guess Alexei's future is still quite the mystery all things considered.

Anyways, thanks Guy. Much appreciated.

Old
03-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
I'm not sure if this tells us a heck of a lot more than what we could have guessed at. I suppose this confirms his desire to play in the NHL. There's still an awful lot of questions that need to be answered and you posed a couple of them in the article. We probably won't find the answers to those questions until the offseason or the year after... I guess Alexei's future is still quite the mystery all things considered.

Anyways, thanks Guy. Much appreciated.
I think that the mystery is derived from the fact that if there was a CBA deal tomorrow, this guy would be at camp.

His intentions, the teams intentions and the investment of the cash are all put aside because there may not be hockey next year.

Old
03-29-2004, 06:00 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
I think that the mystery is derived from the fact that if there was a CBA deal tomorrow, this guy would be at camp.

His intentions, the teams intentions and the investment of the cash are all put aside because there may not be hockey next year.
Bah. There's still the problem with Don Meehan being his agent... and the money it will take to get him out of Russia CBA or not. That has always been a concern regardless of whether or not his team would let him go. I think that's what I meant by stating his "future is a mystery" still.

Could the Oilers, if the CBA were resolved, undeniably do what it took to get him in camp? To me, it would depend on what Meehan and Mikhnov were asking for. Personally, that aspect of it is still as much a mystery now as it was then.

Old
03-29-2004, 06:09 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Bah. There's still the problem with Don Meehan being his agent... and the money it will take to get him out of Russia CBA or not. That has always been a concern regardless of whether or not his team would let him go. I think that's what I meant by stating his "future is a mystery" still.

Could the Oilers, if the CBA were resolved, undeniably do what it took to get him in camp? To me, it would depend on what Meehan and Mikhnov were asking for. Personally, that aspect of it is still as much a mystery now as it was then.
I believe that the mystery of his team is up in the air because didn't it say in Guy's article that he is unsigned for next year?

Old
03-29-2004, 06:12 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
I believe that the mystery of his team is up in the air because didn't it say in Guy's article that he is unsigned for next year?
He is unsigned for the moment... but I don't quite follow you. Sorry. What exactly is the mystery of the team? The fact that the Oilers no longer have to worry about a team's balking at losing one of their players?

Old
03-29-2004, 06:18 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
The conversation I had with Mikhnov and Alexei Semenov (who played interpreter) took place last Wednesday after the Oiler practice.
The picture in my head of you standing beside two towering Russians is cracking me up, for some reason.

Good job. Unfortunately the interview only turned a mystery into "its complicated".

Old
03-29-2004, 06:29 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
The picture in my head of you standing beside two towering Russians is cracking me up, for some reason.
Actually, we were sitting in the dressing room stalls...

Old
03-29-2004, 06:31 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
the Russian contracts aren't guaranteed. In regards to the bogus claims portion, that appears to be what lowe was insinuating. I'm pretty curious about that too.Guy?

Stay tuned for the Kevin Lowe interview because he does touchon that...

Actually, I think it's the same quote that I pulled from his interview for the Mikhnov piece. So yeah, basically it sounds to me like there may not be the big bucks in Russia that some agents talk about.

Sorry, I didn't grill kevin on that one front, there were about 60 other questions to ask. (remember how long that thread was of HF reader question?)

Old
03-29-2004, 06:57 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
Good job. Unfortunately the interview only turned a mystery into "its complicated".
Probably a better way to put it than I did.

Old
03-29-2004, 07:00 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
Allow me to fawn over Guy's work, as always...
Me too.

Well this article sure clears/muddies things up, doesn't it?

Old
03-29-2004, 09:45 PM
ToothlessAggression

If one of the biggest roadblocks is him taking a huge paycut to play in Toronto, couldn't we give him a one-way contract? Does the first contract have to be two-way?

Old
03-29-2004, 10:17 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
Actually, I think it's the same quote that I pulled from his interview for the Mikhnov piece. So yeah, basically it sounds to me like there may not be the big bucks in Russia that some agents talk about.
I think I'd take anything an agent says about what a player's making elsewhere with a mountain of salt, and some iodine on the side too just for good measure.

I think the biggest thing is nobody really seems to know what goes on in the remains of the former USSR, not even the Russians. So maybe those guys are making a million, or maybe they're making a much smaller cash amount and getting gratuities on the side. That's my take on it anyway; I'm no expert on Russia though. But since when does not knowing everything stop us from shooting our mouths off?

Old
03-30-2004, 03:16 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergize
If one of the biggest roadblocks is him taking a huge paycut to play in Toronto, couldn't we give him a one-way contract? Does the first contract have to be two-way?
That might be an option, or just going the signing bonus route too. I could also forsee the possibility of an agreement that would see him stay in Russia until the work stoppage is over and then coming back over to North America, but only if there's a training camp. Lowe said he's not a shoe in and I don't think he can just step into the line up right now.

Old
03-30-2004, 01:19 PM
Allan

Entry level contracts have to be two-way deals. On the other hand, it may be possible to offer large, easily attainable bonuses based on minor league performance, which would push him into the salary range he is looking for, without affecting his salary if he does make the Oilers, so he'd be close to the same total either way. This would eliminate the risk of a big signing bonus being added onto an NHL salary. I don't know if that's legal, however.

Quote:
9.4. Minor League Compensation. Each Player Contract entered
into with a Rookie in the Entry Level System shall automatically
be deemed to be a "two way" contract
http://www.letsgopens.com/nhl_cba.php?id=9

Old
03-30-2004, 01:28 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
it may be possible to offer large, easily attainable bonuses based on minor league performance, which would push him into the salary range he is looking for, without affecting his salary if he does make the Oilers, so he'd be close to the same total either way.

I don't know if that's legal, however.
Isn't that what they did for Mike Comrie (not minor league bonuses but...)? Sounds like an option.

Closed Thread