HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kanko's A Monarch!!!

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2004, 02:33 PM
Capn Brown

vCash: 500
Kanko's A Monarch!!!

http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/News.asp?Article=457

Kitchener, ON: The Kitchener Rangers announced this morning that the Los Angeles Kings have assigned RW Petr Kanko to the Manchester Monarchs of the American Hockey League effective Monday, March 29th, 2004.

The Monarchs are the AHL affiliate for the Los Angeles Kings who selected Kanko in the third round, 66th overall in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.

This past season with the Rangers Kanko set a career high in points scoring 26 goals while adding 42 assists in 55 games.

The Monarchs are currently 2nd in the Atlantic Division with an overall record of 38-24-6-5.

Old
03-29-2004, 02:46 PM
LuckyLUC20

AWESOME!!!!!!! Welcome, Petr!

Old
03-29-2004, 02:54 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

I had just put this in the Juniors update......

Have fun watching him folks.... we are going to miss him in Kitchener. For those who are interested, the mohawk made an appearance for the playoff run again!

Old
03-29-2004, 03:04 PM
palffytofrovlov

CAN I GET A HELL YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

I think this is the first of a few prospects going to Manchester in the next week or so....

Old
03-29-2004, 03:24 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

sweeeeeet!!!!!

does this mean that kitchener's season is over? or is he leaving them early?

edit: nevermind, i saw. sorry to hear there was no repeat for the rangers, we will definitely take good care of petr.

Last edited by agentfouser: 03-29-2004 at 03:32 PM.
Old
03-29-2004, 04:41 PM
punchy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator
sweeeeeet!!!!!

does this mean that kitchener's season is over? or is he leaving them early?

edit: nevermind, i saw. sorry to hear there was no repeat for the rangers, we will definitely take good care of petr.

Boy wouldn't it be a fine thing to see Camms/Kanko/Steckle/Hogeboom and Grebeshkov all get a two game call up and actually get some ice time before the end of the nightmare.

I would love to see that.

DT did say he would sign Steckle, is Kanko signed? Do we have to sign him yet or is that what it means for us to have assigned him to Manchester?

We could see Steckle and Kanko get a game. I would like to see Brownie on one side and Kanko on the other with Steckle in the middle.

I fancy Steckle to be two or three years of minors away from becoming the third line monster he looks to be but, it might be fun to watch him for a couple of match's.

Couldn't be any worse than Carter and Belanger!

Old
03-29-2004, 05:39 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Kanko was signed after last years training camp(02-03 season).

Old
03-29-2004, 05:53 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

I know this would be a no-no (so I left parts out) - I'd post the link, but you have to be a subscriber to our local paper to read any of the stories..... This was in this morning's paper and it's a little highlight reel of his time in Kitchener.

Kanko's crazy for Kitchener -- and the feeling is mutual

Petr Kanko felt isolated and alone.

Strangely, that's how Mohawk Mania began three years ago in what has become Kanko-crazy Kitchener.

It started quietly with a worried Czech teenager keeping to himself while the Kitchener Rangers and his homeland junior club squabbled over who held his rights.

It began with a 17-year-old kid standing in front of a Toronto court and proclaiming that he just wanted to play in the Ontario Hockey League.

Easy? You've got to be kidding.

Kanko, an immensely popular 20-year-old winger whose memorable Mohawk-haired time as a Ranger is likely over as he prepares to embark on a pro career, remembers it well.

At first, he was very lonely here.

"I just came like from the middle of nowhere," said Kanko yesterday, two days after the Rangers were knocked out of the playoffs by Plymouth.

"I couldn't even learn English. I just couldn't learn anything."

That's how it was for Kanko when he got to Canada. There was no yellow-green-red-or-pink playoff-time Mohawk coiffure or ** Manchu whiskers.

Rangers assistant coach-manager Steve Spott recalls the day Kanko stepped off the airplane.

"He was a shy, somewhat scared kid," Spott said. "He didn't say anything for probably the first three months he was here."

Kanko? Quiet and introverted?

It's hard to fathom now but, three years ago, he was much different.

Kanko had yet to take English-as-a-second-language at University Heights school and Kitchener fans had yet to dub him "Tanko" for his strength and ferocity in helping the Rangers win last year's Memorial Cup.

Kanko hadn't even started strolling out of the Rangers dressing room shower, still covered in soap and dripping it everywhere.

He hadn't yet been drafted and signed by the NHL's Los Angeles Kings.

He hadn't yet taken the signing bonus from that pro contract and rushed out to purchase his first car -- before he even had a driver's licence.

Kanko hadn't yet busted dozens of sticks that snapped in the middle of their wooden -- yes, solid wood -- shafts as he worked on one-timers.

Kanko hadn't yet touched off a minor melee in Guelph by doing a six-shooter salute after scoring his first OHL goal into an empty Storm net.

He hadn't yet thrown "spray-can bombs" -- you tape the nozzle of an aerosol deodorant can down so it keeps spraying everywhere till it empties -- into the Rangers room, as he did at last May's Memorial Cup in Quebec City.

Kanko, also renowned for his playfully bawdy banter and addiction to playing Super Mario Bros. on his GameBoy, hadn't yet had a vocabularic malfunction during a live radio interview.

Other stuff hadn't happened yet, either.

Kanko hadn't done a belly flop into the team hot tub.

He hadn't yet missed an empty net from 10 feet. Later, he suggested that someone must have moved the net on him.

Kanko hadn't yet been befriended by his Kitchener billet family or fellow Czech player Petr Hemsky or become good pals with last year's road-game roomie Jesse Boucher.

Kanko hadn't yet represented the Czech Republic at the world junior championships either.

That was all to come. And it did.

Now Kanko will join the rest of the Rangers for an end-of-season team photo session at the Aud this afternoon. He will smile and joke and ham it up.

But Kanko still has a shy side.

"If he doesn't know you, he might feel uncomfortable talking," said Boucher, who took a while to get to know Kanko last season.

"When I got here and sat beside him in the room, we probably didn't talk for the first three weeks to a month. Then, we just started talking and became really, really close."

There's a remote chance he might return to the Rangers for next year. However, it's likely he'll be in the pros with the Monarchs or Kings.

The Kanko era in Kitchener appears to be over. No more big goals. No more crushing checks. No more young kids in Kanko-Mohawks coming up for autographs from their Rangers hero.

Kanko really enjoyed seeing those Mohawked little ones.

"It was pretty neat," Kanko said. "The kids who had it were pretty cute."

Now, Kanko is a little sad. His time in Kitchener is coming to a close.

"It's been something wonderful," he said. "I'm not going to forget this."

Kitchener fans won't forget either.

Old
03-29-2004, 05:57 PM
Mindcircus

What's with all the excitement with Steckle lately? I thought everyone said he was a bust.

Old
03-29-2004, 06:17 PM
Kings Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl49

Kanko's crazy for Kitchener -- and the feeling is mutual
Thanks for the good read. It is nice to know we are getting a good character. Hopefully we see him in LA in the next couple of years.

Old
03-29-2004, 11:38 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
I can't wait to see Kanko play in a Kings uniform. He sounds like hes a great guy and he is going to be a fan favorite for years to come.

Old
03-29-2004, 11:41 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindcircus
What's with all the excitement with Steckle lately? I thought everyone said he was a bust.
I think hes had a better season(by looking at the number). He's going to turn out to be a huge third line center...it looks like.

Old
03-30-2004, 11:49 AM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindcircus

With Steckel people just had to remember that big huge guys like him can take much longer to develop. He is still projected as a big tough 3rd line center. Nothing wrong with that at all...

Old
03-30-2004, 01:12 PM
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft

vCash: 50
correct me if i am wrong but cant the guy only play the regular season? he was not on the clear day list. unless there are injury exemptions. just curious, i do go to quite a few Monarchs games living in NH

Old
03-30-2004, 01:36 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
correct me if i am wrong but cant the guy only play the regular season? he was not on the clear day list. unless there are injury exemptions. just curious, i do go to quite a few Monarchs games living in NH
Junior players under contract and College players may be added to the Clear Day roster when their respective seasons are over.

Old
04-02-2004, 11:48 PM
Doggone Dawg

Kanko was a superstar for the Rangers last year, but took a step backwards this year and seemed out for a skate on most nights. The only time any effort came was when he carried the puck. Hope he picks it up now.

Old
04-03-2004, 11:36 AM
Dangeresque

That was a nice read. Hopefully he'll get a chance to get into some games with the Kings this next season (if there is one).

Closed Thread