HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cory Schneider

Old
07-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 185
Cory Schneider

With the addition of Raycroft as Vancouver's backup, Schneider may be in a position to be shopped to other teams. A prospect of his calibre could possibly land a hefty return.

Should Dallas miss out on the Gustavsson sweepstakes, what would it take to pry him from the Canucks?

(Though from the looks of it, maybe it won't take much prying since I figured they would want to keep him around as the backup instead of signing Raycroft. Maybe they're not as high on him as their fans are. )

07-06-2009, 01:57 PM
SedinFan*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Canucks most likely will want a solid offensive prospect, or defensive prospect.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 01:59 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

HE'S NOT GOING TO GET TRADED BECAUSE WE ACQUIRED ANDREW RAYCROFT.

Jesus.

He'll be moved if Luongo signs a long-term extension, otherwise, he stays in Manitoba, and plays backup to the Canucks if Raycroft falters.

For Dallas, or any other team to acquire him BEFORE Luongo signs, it would take an over-payment because we don't have any goaltending depth after Schneider. When I say over-payment, I mean NHL-proven young player. Not a prospect (unless it's an absolutely can't miss prospect), not a player over 28-30.

Also, Schneider won't command a hefty return, because he's a goaltending prospect. A good one, perhaps one of the best, but a prospect nonetheless.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Sony Eriksson*

If Gustavsson ****s Dallas over and chooses Toronto then i can see Dallas being interested in Schneider who will get around 20 games or more here. I bet Dallas would offer a 2nd or a 3rd.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Canucks5551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud View Post
If Gustavsson ****s Dallas over and chooses Toronto then i can see Dallas being interested in Schneider who will get around 20 games or more here. I bet Dallas would offer a 2nd or a 3rd.
I bet Dallas would have to offer quite a bit more than that.

Canucks5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 02:10 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

He'd be going to Chicago or Toronto

he'd be going to Chicago for Versteeg

or Toronto for Toskala

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Inker

the only way Schneider gets traded is if Luongo gets locked up long term

Inker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 02:11 PM
AnalogMan

Schneider going nowhere unless Luongo signs long-term or gets moved. It makes no sense to have your "goalie of the future" sitting on the bench every night as a spectator when he could playing nightly in the minors.

Raycroft is a veteran backup signing. That's all. This year's LaBarbera.

AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Tombernack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks5551 View Post
A 2nd is pretty reasonable. Defintely won't get a 1st rounder for a tendy with Pogge-esque NHL numbers.

A 2nd rounder or a young player for sure.

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Skelator 786*

Schnieder gets traded if Luongo gets a contract extention. We'd be looking for a solid defensive prospect since we're kind of thin.

Skelator 786* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
2nd round pick. Same as it was last year.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks5551 View Post
They probably wouldn't. Goalies are almost always overvalued in trade proposals on HF, and that goes double for goalies with zero NHL experience.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 02:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
They probably wouldn't. Goalies are almost always overvalued in trade proposals on HF, and that goes double for goalies with zero NHL experience.
He has 5 games.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 02:17 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombernack View Post
A 2nd is pretty reasonable. Defintely won't get a 1st rounder for a tendy with Pogge-esque NHL numbers.

A 2nd rounder or a young player for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
2nd round pick. Same as it was last year.

That might very well be his value on the open market, but his value to the Canucks is much higher. Because the Canucks own his rights, the Canucks get to set the value. In this case, because of the large discrepancy between "What Cory Schneider's value is" and "What Cory Schneider's value to the organization is", he will not be traded.

You can look at it two ways: What is his value in a trade to other teams, and what would it take to get him out of the Canucks organization. The former is his VALUE, the latter is the answer to the question - what would it take to get him out of Vancouver.

What is JVR's value? A late first rounder, maybe. What is his worth to Philadelphia? Much more. That's why JVR won't be traded.
What is Burrow's value? A first round pick. What is his worth to Vancouver? Much more. Hence, Burrows won't be traded.

Why people don't understand the difference between value and worth is truly baffling.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 02:17 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven93 View Post
He'd be going to Chicago or Toronto

he'd be going to Chicago for Versteeg

or Toronto for Toskala

yea, that's exactly what the Canucks need, a $4mill backup to Luongo!

The Canucks wouldn't pickup Toskala on waivers - nor would any team with a starter better than him - which is easily half the teams in the league, if not more!

Schneider does not need to be traded at all... so there's no way you're getting him for a 2nd or 3rd rounder... he is not waiver eligible and can easily spend in the next 2 yrs in Manitoba if we need him to.

Schneider also will not get traded before Luongo re-signs... there's no point to it.

As far as his value - if the Canucks are going to move him, it'll be for something that actually helps the team, otherwise he will play another year in Manitoba - which the Moose would want anyways, as he played a huge role for them last year, and the Canucks did spend quite a bit of money on helping the Moose overall - why take a 2nd round pick for him now, instead of just sending him back to the Moose?

Either he's packaged for an impact player (like Kaberle)... or he's moved for a similar prospect in a position the Canucks need to address (like d-men).

Otherwise, the organization is better off with Schneider starting on the Moose again next year.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 02:18 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
He has 5 games.
Yeah...what I said.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Vitto79

if the Leafs don't get Gustavson then Schneider/ more for Kaberle/Pogge makes alot of sense

Raycroft can warm the bench for Luongo

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 02:57 PM
RandV
It's a wolf

vCash: 50
Goaltending value is hard to place because it tends to be a commodity value. As long as teams are still willing to select goaltenders in the 1st round though, Schneider should be able to get at least that in return. I mean if goalies with no NHL experience have no value, then why do teams still use 1st round picks to select them? And in the Canucks situation as we won't have our backs against the wall with Schneider for a couple more years we can still play it patiently to wait for the appropriate value.

To use a contrasting scenario, San Jose and Anaheim both had exceptional back up goalies with the talent to be starters in the NHL. With time running out on their rights, San Jose found a taker for Toskala and got a 1st round pick back. Anaheim ran out of time and lost Bryzgalov to waivers. Though I always though getting zero value back probably had a lot to do with Burke's posturing/bluffing, in a 'give us good return now or I'll waive him' type manner. But regardless, there you have two similar goalies, one getting a 1st, the other getting nothing, with my point being that the Canucks still have a lot of time before the clock runs out and they risk getting nothing.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 03:03 PM
NucklePuck

i don't understand how he would garner only a 2nd or 3rd? he was a first round pick and has developed as well as a goalie could, his value will skyrocket when he gets a healthy amount of NHL games this season

NucklePuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Kaktus*

I would offer Marshall or Marc-Andre Bourdon, or Bodrov and go from there.

JVR and Giroux are out of the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NucklePuck View Post
i don't understand how he would garner only a 2nd or 3rd? he was a first round pick and has developed as well as a goalie could, his value will skyrocket when he gets a healthy amount of NHL games this season
Those are big IF's when it comes to goalies.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Theron
#beauty

Send a message via ICQ to Theron Send a message via AIM to Theron Send a message via MSN to Theron Send a message via Yahoo to Theron Send a message via Skype™ to Theron
in his NHL games he played

GAA 3.38 Wins 2 Loses 4 Tie 1 Save% 0.877

No way I'd trade Kaberle for him.. a 2nd round pick....or prospect/roster player..

Theron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 03:14 PM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
And there's your reason why I feel like goalies shouldn't be taken in the first round nowadays (unless it's a top talent like Luongo): there are so many good goalies in the league today, that a) you could get a top notch goalie pretty low in the draft or in free agency (see Lundqvist, Nabakov, Turco, Thomas, Vokoun etc.), and b) because of how many good goalies there are, their trade value is much lower than one would expect.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 03:17 PM
sselssalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombernack View Post
The team was in shambles when he got the call last year. He didn't have any time to adjust (something he's needed at every level he's played at), and had a very unstable d-core in front of him.

sselssalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 03:29 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

I want him to come to Toronto if we don't get the monster.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 03:29 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
If Harding isn't worth Eller, Schneider ain't worth more than a 2nd or 3rd either.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote