HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Pronger signs 7 year extension/5mil per (post #78)

Old
07-10-2009, 09:19 AM
IrishSniper87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
No Irish with a 35+ guy, even if he is in the minors he counts on the cap.

It either counts for 4.92 million on the cap, or there is a vague part of the CBA that seems like he would only count for 425k if in the minors llast 2 years
That might be the case, waive him the last 2 years, and have him be a healthy scratch.

Loopholes in the CBA cutting Prongers cap hit as he takes over Lupul's expected cap hit.

Awesome.

Loopholes and Lupul's is awesome.

Lupul's Loopholes.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:22 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
in 10-11 season Pronger will be cheaper than Bryan Mcabe and is already cheaper than Redden

sick

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Article 50.5 I think it is specifically states that if a player is in the minor leagues and is in the 2nd year or more of an SPC, only his salary will count against the cap. Pronger's salary in the last couple years of the deal is $525,000.

His full caphit would count during the offseason, but during the offseason, the cap is raised by 10%.
Counting the salary as opposed to the Cap hit would certainly be inconsistent to all other instances that I know... I don't understand that.

Also, wasn't it established that that article pertained to entry level contract... or something like that?

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Jester

That was Article 9. Article 50 is the pertinent one for salary cap crap.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
If Pronger decides he wants to retire at 40, he just has to tell Homer to trade his rights. Then he retires for another team that needs to acquire salary to meet the cap minimum. The new team would get the cap hit without having to pay any of the cash. Win-win.

I don't know why people are so worried about this....
Win-win if you don't account for the fact that we will likely have to give the team a draft pick, potentially a high draft pick, for doing us a favor.

Devils sent a 1st with Malakhov to Anaheim.

Old
07-10-2009, 10:15 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Lupul's Loopholes.
I'm so using this as a fantasy team name some time.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:22 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I'm so using this as a fantasy team name some time.
Yes!

I still like "Triple Touche" from a thread-that-must-not-be-discussed.

quote1 with a good point
touche!
quote2 with an even better point
wow, touche again!
quote3 with the best counterpoint ever
TRIPLE TOUCHE

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
That was Article 9. Article 50 is the pertinent one for salary cap crap.
Was that in response to my post?

Old
07-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
Was that in response to my post?
yep.

I believe it's 50.2 that is specific to the 35 rule, but not going to look it up right now. The one that was getting quoted before inaccurately was article 9.2.

Old
07-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
yep.

I believe it's 50.2 that is specific to the 35 rule, but not going to look it up right now. The one that was getting quoted before inaccurately was article 9.2.
Thanks for the clarification.. Too many articles to keep straight here. LOL.

Are you aware of using the salary as opposed to the Cap hit in this case? To me it sounds out of place with the other rules.

Old
07-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Jester

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification.. Too many articles to keep straight here. LOL.

Are you aware of using the salary as opposed to the Cap hit in this case? To me it sounds out of place with the other rules.
It says something about if you put the guy in the minors, it isn't all of the cap hit based on my understanding. I believe it says something about incentives...however, I think it isn't worth talking about, because Pronger won't be going to the minors to finish off his career.

Old
07-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
It says something about if you put the guy in the minors, it isn't all of the cap hit based on my understanding. I believe it says something about incentives...however, I think it isn't worth talking about, because Pronger won't be going to the minors to finish off his career.
I agree with that... I just think people are getting all bent out of shape at even the thought of possible dead Cap space. So much can happen over the span of that contract... not the least of which could be a new CBA with new ground-rules and new limitations, or lack thereof.

Talk usually goes all over the place when there are no actual games to discuss.

Old
07-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Jester

Quote:
I agree with that... I just think people are getting all bent out of shape at even the thought of possible dead Cap space. So much can happen over the span of that contract... not the least of which could be a new CBA with new ground-rules and new limitations, or lack thereof.

Talk usually goes all over the place when there are no actual games to discuss.
Certainly, and I think the new CBA will address some of these issues. However, I wouldn't be shocked if the next CBA is more punishing of these contracts than less punishing. So, it could get worse as opposed to better under the next CBA, which the reports I've read don't really seem to ponder.

I just think talking about Pronger in the AHL is bizarre...the dude ain't going to play a couple of years in the AHL...and if he isn't playing down there, then his cap hit will be in the NHL.

Old
07-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
No Irish with a 35+ guy, even if he is in the minors he counts on the cap.

It either counts for 4.92 million on the cap, or there is a vague part of the CBA that seems like he would only count for 425k if in the minors llast 2 years
My initial interpretation of the clause was that if Pronger was waived in the last two years of his contract he would only count as 425K against the cap because the language says:

Quote:
except to the extent the
Player is playing under his SPC in the minor leagues, in which
case only the Player Salary and Bonuses in excess of $100,000
shall count towards the calculation of Actual Club Salary
;
But after reviewing the clause again, I'm not so sure because it using Player Salary and Bonuses at the begining of the clause as well:

Quote:
(iv) All Player Salary and Bonuses earned in a League Year by a Player
who is in the second or later year of a multi-year SPC which was
signed when the Player was age 35 or older (as of June 30 prior to
the League Year in which the SPC is to be effective), regardless of
whether, or where, the Player is playing, except to the extent the
Player is playing under his SPC in the minor leagues, in which
case only the Player Salary and Bonuses in excess of $100,000
shall count towards the calculation of Actual Club Salary
;
It's confusing. Does Player Salary and Bonuses mean cap hit? Or does it just mean salary and bonuses? If it is a literal interpretation to just mean salary and bonuses, then if Pronger retires, his cap hit wouldn't be 4.9 million, it would be whatever his salary and bonuses would be for that league year. If he gets waived it's the same thing minus 100k. I'm confused, and I'm sure there has to be other clauses to clear it up, but I'm too lazy to look.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Win-win if you don't account for the fact that we will likely have to give the team a draft pick, potentially a high draft pick, for doing us a favor.

Devils sent a 1st with Malakhov to Anaheim.
Let's whine about that if and when it happens.

If Pronger carries the Cup down Broad Street sometime before then, I don't think any of us are going to be worrying about what if scenarios in 2014...

I also think Pronger will play out his contract in high style, so the whole silly argument is moot.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 02:37 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
My initial interpretation of the clause was that if Pronger was waived in the last two years of his contract he would only count as 425K against the cap because the language says:

But after reviewing the clause again, I'm not so sure because it using Player Salary and Bonuses at the begining of the clause as well:

It's confusing. Does Player Salary and Bonuses mean cap hit? Or does it just mean salary and bonuses? If it is a literal interpretation to just mean salary and bonuses, then if Pronger retires, his cap hit wouldn't be 4.9 million, it would be whatever his salary and bonuses would be for that league year. If he gets waived it's the same thing minus 100k. I'm confused, and I'm sure there has to be other clauses to clear it up, but I'm too lazy to look.

To me it seems it may be interpreted that if there was some outside chance that he would actually allow the Flyers to send him to the minors (which he most definitely wont) the cap hit would be the players salary at that time (being 525k) thus a cap hit of 425k.

I can easily be misinterpreting because I do not know all the clause.

But again this is a moot point, for there are only three reasonable options;
1) He plays the whole contract out.
2) He retires and we try and deal the cap hit away .
3) He suffers some LTI in the next 6 years.

Him going to the AHL I find is so unlikely it should not even be considered nor discussed.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 02:38 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
If he retires, it's 5 mill no matter what unless we LTIR him.

The "salary and bonuses" thing is difficult to say in relation to the minors. I personally think it does mean actual salary though.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 02:44 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I am curios to see what people think Lidtsrom will get as a contract when he becomes UFA or how much Detroit will extend his contract for?
(assuming he doesn't retire)

Lidstrom will be 40 at the end of his contract and making 7.45 million

Old
07-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
I am curios to see what people think Lidtsrom will get as a contract when he becomes UFA or how much Detroit will extend his contract for?
(assuming he doesn't retire)

Lidstrom will be 40 at the end of his contract and making 7.45 million
I would expect year-to-year a la Nieds, or a 2-year deal. Of course, that's assuming he doesn't go home or something.

Old
07-10-2009, 03:07 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
I would expect year-to-year a la Nieds, or a 2-year deal. Of course, that's assuming he doesn't go home or something.
Yea, but at what caphit/salary is what I'm looking to see.

Old
08-18-2009, 06:21 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1481
Pronger at home in Haddonfield

Quote:

It easily can be argued there are 34,900,000 reasons why Chris Pronger signed a seven-year contract extension with the Flyers that takes him into the year 2017, when he'll be 42 years old.

But if you ask the Flyers' newest multi-million-dollar mercenary, he'll tell you two of the biggest reasons he committed to playing in Philadelphia for so long were the little guys who took the Skate Zone ice Monday dressed in bright orange No. 20 jerseys bearing their own last names.

"We've moved around some the last three or four years," Pronger said after a brisk morning skate with a handful of Flyers teammates that included Jeff Carter and Riley Cote.

"Change is good sometimes, but you get to a certain point in your life once the kids start getting older where you don't want to keep uprooting them and moving them along."

On Aug. 5, Pronger and his wife, Lauren, put down new roots for their two sons, 7-year-old Jack and 5-year-old George, and 1-year-old daughter, Lilah, when they moved into a Haddonfield home once rented by former Flyers captain Jason Smith.

Pronger said he chose Haddonfield after talking with former St. Louis Blues teammate Eric Weinrich, who lived there when he played for the Flyers from 2001-04. Flyers forward Daniel Briere also lives in Haddonfield.

"Right now, it's mostly unopened boxes," Pronger said. "But we're starting to settle in and trying to get comfortable."

Pronger says Haddonfield reminds his wife, whom he met in St. Louis, of her home in suburban Missouri. He especially likes its close proximity to the Skate Zone in Voorhees and the Wachovia Center in South Philadelphia.

Any other summer Pronger would be spending early August relaxing with his family. But because this is an Olympic year and he has been invited to the Canadian team's orientation camp in Calgary, the 6-foot-6, 230-pound native of Dryden, Ontario has been hoofing around the Skate Zone ice for the past two weeks.

Pronger will leave for Calgary on Sunday along with three other Flyers who hope to be named to the 2010 Canadian Olympic team. Simon Gagne, Mike Richards and Jeff Carter are among the 46 players (25 forwards, 16 defensemen, five goaltenders) invited to the camp, which will take place next week from Monday through Thursday.
http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...in-Haddonfield

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote