HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Maple Leafs sign Francois Beauchemin 3yr/$11.4M

Old
07-07-2009, 12:40 PM
tony d
The man

vCash: 500
Another good signing for the Leafs. Still with all of these extra defensemen being signed I wondered if it means the end for Kaberle in Toronto.

tony d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:17 PM
BillHicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
Francois has only hit 30 points once in his career. Ever.

And he was playing aside some of the best defenseman in the league

He just isn't 4 million good
Beauchemin consistently went up against the top line forwards.

Here's what Kris Draper just said about Francois Beauchemin=

"Yeah (we thought he played great in the playoffs). We'll take him leaving the Western Conference any time... He's a guy that can play a ton of minutes, he's a match up guy, he's a very physical defenseman. I think its a great signing, and with us having some good, physical series with Anaheim, we are certainly glad he is gone."

Detroit is happy he's in the Eastern Conference.

BillHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:28 PM
BillHicks

The people who think the leafs lost some offense from the back end by replacing Kubina with Beauchemin are wrong.

Kubina had more pts because he got a lot of PP time. If you look at Kubina's and Beauchemin's even strength points numbers over the last few years, they are identical.

And Beauchemin is better defensively than the older Kubina and his bloated $5 Million contract. And Kubina is just plain slow. I have watched a lot of Anaheim over the last few years and Beauchemin is not slow like Kubina. I have always been impressed with Beauchemin as a defenceman.

BillHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
IF Kaberle is still around come the pre-season it might be a fun experiment to test him out as a forward.
I was thinking about this. Throw Kaberle and White up on the wings and that gets rid of two extra defensemen.

Experiments are fun!

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Kaberle is too valueable on the backend to become a forward. Despite what some people have said he is in fact one of our better Defensmen. He rarely turns the puck over, he can make the outlet passes needed to move the puck up the ice. He's a smooth skater who plays well on both ends of the ice.

White as a forward is a distinct possibility, he played there last year for a bit and because he is a defensive liability it makes sense.

Lobstertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:41 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by no dice View Post
Maybe not, but we got him at a much better price than a certain LA team that signed Scuderi for 3.4 million at a longer term. Now that's overpayment.
Oh yeah, that's totally relevant.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Lilou
t-.-t

Quote:
Haha what's the matter? Don't like it when the tables are turned? That's a piece of SHAT contract for Scuderi.

Lilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:54 PM
winger17

Canadians could have got this guy....they signed Jaro Spachek instead and he is 7 years older I think. Great move for the Leafs...Bad move for the Habs.

winger17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamBam View Post
Anyone who signs with the Leafs is a top 10 defenseman. Heck, most of you think that Kaberle is a top 15 defenseman!

Are you trying to be funny? Kaberle is a top 15 defenseman.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Spazmatic Dan
The Leafs Are Good

Quote:
In a way it is. Its comparing Beauchemin's contract to the rest of the market.

Of course he could have said compared to Scuderi, Spacek, Komisarek, etc. instead of taking a pot shot at the Kings (intentionally or unintentionally).

Personally I think its a pretty darn good deal for Beauchemin considering the market and even current Leaf contracts like Komisarek at 4.5 and Finger at 3.5 (ouch).

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
Oh yeah do enjoy watching MONSTER (ooh, intimidating name) get lit up while Komisarek, Finger, Exelby and whoever else you have not named Kaberle and possibly White do their best impressions of Pylons.

Point of hockey is to score goals and then do the whole routine where everyone throws their arms in the air and gets a group hug. One GM has at least some understanding of that. Another one, who was clearly rejected from the UFC as a teenager for being too stupid and flabby and is still haunted by the experience, doesn't.
Stop posting.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 05:16 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM View Post
Kaberle is too valueable on the backend to become a forward. Despite what some people have said he is in fact one of our better Defensmen. He rarely turns the puck over, he can make the outlet passes needed to move the puck up the ice. He's a smooth skater who plays well on both ends of the ice.

White as a forward is a distinct possibility, he played there last year for a bit and because he is a defensive liability it makes sense.
when kaberle is giving it 100% he is still the best defenseman on the leafs in his own zone.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 06:25 PM
VIRUS227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor House View Post
Wait until you see Komisarek without Markov
oh lord how @@@@@@@ pathetic...enjoy the smurfs lmao

VIRUS227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 07:59 PM
TheGreatOne11

Big fan of this guy, love what Kris Draper said about him lol.

I'll say this now Kaberle by the begining of the season will be traded for a top 6 forward we jsut have too many D-men i love Kaberle he's been my favourite player forever Tucker was my other but if it's his time to go and we get a proven top 6 forward who can score goals well it was nice knowing you kabbie and thanks for everything.

And this is me completly dreaming but everybody has been talking about him going to Van only way I would do that is with hodgeson coming back he aint in the deal then no deal and by what van fans say theres no chance so I don't think its going to be Vancouver.

TheGreatOne11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 08:33 PM
The Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM View Post

Have you been watching the same Ian White I have?

He hasn't been a defensive liability. Quite the opposite. Arguably our best blue-liner last season, and certainly the most improved. His two-way game is pretty special.

I agree with your general assessment of Kaberle, though.

The Management is offline   Reply With Quote