HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4/2 GDT: Kings vs. Flames (Win It For Lucky)

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2004, 07:19 PM
LuckyLUC20

vCash: 500
4/2 GDT: Kings vs. Flames (Win it for Lucky!)

Los Angeles Kings (28-28-16-8)
VS.
Calgary Flames (41-29-7-3)
Game Time: 7:30 PM PST | 10:30 PM EST
Where: Staples Center | Los Angeles, California
TV Broadcast: (home) Fox Sports Net West | HDNet
Radio Broadcast: KSPN AM 710
Online broadcast: [NHL.COM] | [KVTA AM 1520]
**Kings' Television pre-game show "Break The Ice," hosted by Van Earl Wright and Kings' television color commentator, Jim Fox, will air at 7:00 PM PST. Kings' radio pre-game show will air on KSPN AM 710 at 7:00 PM PST with Nick Nickson and Darryl Evans.**

With so much uncertainty about whether or not there will be a season next year, many veterans over the age of 35 are considering retirement. Most notably is veteran Mark Messier of the New York Rangers. Messier was greeted with a great ovation from the crowd at Madison Square Garden in New York at the end of the game against the Buffalo Sabres much like the way Wayne Gretzky was received when he decided to retire. For the Los Angeles Kings, Luc Robitaille is also contemplating retirement. After 18 years in the NHL, Robitaille has set a couple of milestones this year. He has appeared in over 1,000 games as member of the Kings, he has reached over 700 assists and has passed his idol, Johnny Bucyk as the greatest scoring left wing of all time with 1,370 points. Robitaille has played 13 years with the Kings. A special ceremony before the game against the San Jose Sharks Wednesday night commemorated his achievement of 1,370 points. Kings' television play-by-play announcer Bob Miller introduced Luc to the crowd as they chanted the very familiar sounds of "Luc." Dave Taylor, Kings' general manager, presented Robitaille with a plaque for his achievement and his wife and children were on hand to witness the event. Robitaille took the mic and thanked his family, the Kings' organization, his teammates and the fans. After the game, Robitaille was asked whether or not he was returning next year. "It would be very hard to play again a year later. You never know. It would be very hard to play even two years later. That's the way I'm looking at it." (Luc Robitaille). With the final home game of the regular season tonight against the Calgary Flames, could this be the last time he plays at Staples Center? "I've thought about that. For me, I certainly want to enjoy every day. That's the way I'm looking at it. (Wednesday) and Friday, enjoy those two nights. You never know what's going to happen." (Robitaille). Dave Taylor has expressed the Kings' desire to sign Luc for another year. "We would like to retain Luc. His experience has helped our young players. This is Luc's home. This is where Luc Robitaille belongs." (Dave Taylor). The only thing standing between a new contract and Luc Robitaille is how the CBA pans out.

With just two home games remaining for the Los Angeles Kings, coach Andy Murray has told the team to play for the fans who have stuck by the team through a very difficult season. Wednesday was not what Murray planned for the fans in attendance. "I said last year at the end of our season that I wasn't real happy with our season-ending tape that we send out to our season-ticket holders because in that tape we did a lot of apologizing. You see a game like tonight and you've got a lot of apologizing to do. ... I don't care whether it's an exhibition game, the first game of the year, the last game of the year, whether we're playing to get into the Stanley Cup or we're playing to win it, whatever the circumstances are, you've got to try. That's the responsibility that comes with putting on that jersey. To play like we played tonight, it's all about apologizing." (Andy Murray). Murray and the fans had a right to be upset. The team only mustered up 9 shots while San Jose had 18 shots through two periods. The first goal came in the second period after Alyn McCauley put in a rebound off of teammate Alexander Korolyuk's shot. Just 29 seconds later, a breakdown in defense allowed Niko Dimitrakos to score as Roman Cechmanek tried to make a sprawling save. Instead the puck fell behind him and into the net. As time winded down in the third period, the Kings' pulled Cechmanek for the extra-attacker, but McCauley burned them again as he scored into the empty net and the Sharks won 3-0. It's the second shutout in five games for the Kings and their 9th loss in a row. "That was far from an acceptable effort. I can't give you any excuses. There are no excuses. It's fair for you to say whatever you want." (Trent Klatt).

The Calgary Flames will make the playoffs for the first time in eight years. The Flames have clinched a playoff spot and years of rebuilding has paid off. GM and head coach Darryl Sutter has deservingly received consideration for the Jack Adams Trophy as coach of the year. The Flames clinched with their victory over the Phoenix Coytoes Wednesday night. Miikka Kiprusoff came up big for the Flames as he stopped all 27 shots he faced. The Flames scored the only goal of the game when Jarome Iginla scored off a nice pass from Robyn Regehr in the first period. That was all Kiprusoff needed as he recorded his fourth shutout of the season and helped the Flames clinch a playoff berth. "Kiprusoff is a big part of the reason we are where we are this season. He's not a Vezina and Hart candidate for nothing.'' (Denis Gauthier). Former Flames' defenseman and current Coyote, Derek Morris was happy to see his former mates achieve something that always seemed to be out of reach when he was there. "I think it's great. I was over there with a lot of those guys when we went through the bad times, but finally now they have an opportunity. The rebuilding took a little bit longer than people thought but they've got the right people in there right now for a good team and a good playoff run." (Derek Morris).

Previous Meeting(s) this year: (Kings: 1-0-1-1)

January 30, 2004 - Kings 4, Flames 1 Ian Laperriere ended a 29-game goal scoring drought as he scored two goals in the 4-1 victory over the Flames. On his first goal, Laperriere looked up to the ceiling in relief for finally scoring a goal. Derek Armstrong scored during a delayed penalty call early in the first period. Laperriere's goal came three minutes after that. Joe Corvo scored on a rush later in the first period to give the Kings an early 3-0 lead. Dean McAmmond tried to keep the Flames in it as he scored under a minute into the second period to make it 3-1 Kings. However, Roman Cechmanek shut the door after that for the Kings, including a very good scoring chance for Jarome Iginla. Laperriere scored an empty-netter in the third to give the Kings a 4-1 win over Calgary.

February 3, 2004 - Kings 4, Flames 4 The Kings were down by two goals two different times during the game and came back every time to tie the game up. Jarome Iginla had a great night as he scored a hat trick for the Flames. In fact, one of Iginla's goals was a fluke as he tried to dump the puck into the zone, instead, it found it's way behind Roman Cechmanek. However, it was not enough. The Kings rallied to end the game in a 4-4 draw as Eric Belanger, Luc Robitaille, Esa Pirnes and Alexander Frolov each had a goal in the game. Both Frolov and Pirnes' goals came from breakaways. Frolov broke free and into the Flames zone. He actually lost the puck, but it went in anyway. Pirnes stole the puck in the Flames zone and scored a beautiful goal on Jamie McLennan. Dean McAmmond had the other goal for the Flames.

March 27, 2004 - Kings 2, Flames 3 OT Dustin Brown, Esa Pirnes, Tim Gleason, John Tripp, Brad Chartrand and Jason Holland returned to the lineup after being healthy scratches for a while. The result was a gritty, hard working effort by the guys on the ice. It looked like the old team that took points from seemingly every game for large stretches during the season. Sean Avery took advantage of the situation and scored a couple points and got into a fight. In fact, he and newly acquired forward, Jeff Cowan both had a couple of Gordie Howe Hat Tricks during the game against the Calgary Flames. Both showed offensive skill, toughness and energy. The Kings struck first as Avery received a nice pass from Eric Belanger and beat Mikka Kiprusoff as they took a 1-0 lead in the first period. Chris Simon tied it up at one in the second period on the power play. In the third period, Sean Avery and Jeff Cowan connected on a great play headed into the offensive zone. Avery made a perfect stick to stick pass to Cowan as Cowan one-timed the puck into the net to take a 2-1 lead. Two minutes later, Craig Conroy tied it up at two. Conroy's shot looked stoppable, but Cristobal Huet could not get a handle on it as it hit his glove and trickled into the net. Flames had a two-on-one break into the Kings' zone in overtime. Shean Donovan took it all the way to the net and shot it past Huet as the Flames won it 3-2.

Tonight's Roster: Kings vs. Flames

News and Notes:
  • Luc Robitaille was named by the Los Angeles Chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association as the Kings' nominee for the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy. The Masterton Trophy is awarded to the player player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.
  • Kings have re-signed center Derek Armstrong to a multi-year contract. Armstrong has 14 goals and 21 assists in 57 games this year. He will miss the final games of the regular season after suffering an arm injury.
  • The Kings took their end-of-the-year team photo with two familiar faces that have been absent all season from the line-up. Both Jason Allison and Adam Deadmarsh were on-hand to take part in the picture taking. "I went around and introduced Anson Carter and Jeff Cowan and a few of the guys and Adam Deadmarsh and Jason Allison introduced themselves. They hadn't seen them. I really hadn't thought about injured players too much other than being concerned for their own well-being. I don't give a second thought about the what-ifs. ... I hope that both of those players realize what this organization has done for them, the way they got treated this year. Obviously, both players are (restricted) free agents this summer and I hope they take into consideration what this organization has done. And I think they will." (Murray).
  • Tonight the Kings will give away autographed game-worn jerseys to 27 lucky fans after the game.

Injury Update:
  • Alexander Frolov will miss the final two games of the season due to an ankle injury.
  • Roman Cechmanek left Thursday's practice early with a finger injury, but is expected to play the final game of the season against the San Jose Sharks in San Jose. Daily News

(from ESPN.com)

------------------------------------

Leading Scorers:

Forwards:

Robitaille, LA - 51 points (22 G, 29 A, +3)
Iginla, CGY - 72 points (40 G, 32 A, +22)

-------------------------------------------

Defensemen:

Dempsey, LA - 31 points (11 G, 20 A, -12)
Leopold, CGY - 32 points (9 G, 23 A, +5)

---------------------------------------------------

Probable Starters:

Huet, LA - 40 GP | Record: 10-15-10 | GAA: 2.41
Kiprusoff - 37 GP | Record: 23-10-4 | GAA: 1.69

--------------------------------------------

GAA:
LA - 2.63 (20th in NHL)
CGY - 2.15 (3rd in NHL)

Avg. Shots Against:
LA - 26.8 (13th in NHL)
CGY - 25.6 (6th in NHL)

Save %:
LA - .902 (25th in NHL)
CGY - .916 (7th in NHL)

Shutouts:
LA - 8 (8th in NHL)
CGY - 11 (3rd in NHL)

Avg. Shots:
LA - 28.8 (13th in NHL)
CGY - 27.5 (22nd in NHL)

Avg. Goals:
LA - 2.50 (17th in NHL)
CGY - 2.45 (19th in NHL)

Power Play %:
LA - 13.9 (26th in NHL)
CGY- 15.2 (21st in NHL)

Penalty Kill %:
LA - 81.1 (28th in NHL)
CGY - 85.0 (8th in NHL)

Code:
Pacific Division Standings:
1. *San Jose Sharks - (42-20-12-6) 102 points
2. *Dallas Stars - (40-25-13-2) 95 points
3. *Los Angeles Kings - (28-28-16-8) 80 points
4. Anaheim Mighty Ducks - (28-35-10-8) 74 points
5. Phoenix Coyotes - (21-36-18-6) 66 points
* - play tonight (listed below)

Code:
Western Conference Standings:
1. p - Detroit Red Wings - (48-20-11-2) 109 points
2. y - San Jose Sharks - (42-20-12-6) 102 points
3. x - Vancouver Canucks - (41-24-10-5) 97 points
4. x - Colorado Avalanche - (39-22-13-6) 97 points
5. x - Dallas Stars - (40-25-13-2) 95 points
6. x - Calgary Flames - (41-29-7-3) 92 points
7. St. Louis Blues - (38-29-11-2) 89 points
8. Nashville Predators - (37-28-11-4) 89 points
---------------------------------------------
9. Edmonton Oilers - (36-28-12-5) 89 points
10. e - Los Angeles Kings - (28-28-16-8) 80 points
11. e - Minnesota Wild - (28-29-20-3) 79 points
12. e - Anaheim Mighty Ducks - (28-35-10-8) 74 points
13. e - Phoenix Coyotes - (21-36-18-6) 66 points
14. e - Columbus Blue Jackets - (24-44-8-4) 60 points
15. e - Chicago Blackhawks - (20-42-11-7) 58 points

p - clinched Presidents' Trophy
x - clinched playoff spot
y - clinched division
e - eliminated from playoff contention
Divisional Games Tonight:
Stars vs. Wild 5:00 PM PST/ 8:00 PM EST
Kings vs. Flames 7:30 PM PST/ 10:30 PM EST
Sharks vs. Canucks 7:30 PM PST/ 10:30 PM EST
**(images from NHL.com, lakings.com and ESPN.com)**

Last edited by LuckyLUC20: 04-02-2004 at 07:32 PM.
Old
04-02-2004, 07:27 PM
*midnitehockey

I think this GDT should be subtitled: Please don't Luc retire on a crummy winless streak!

I can't help feeling sad tonight... end of an era. Just please, Kings, win this one...

GO KINGS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
04-02-2004, 07:28 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
EFFORT! :mad:

Old
04-02-2004, 07:31 PM
LuckyLUC20

I really hope this isn't Luc's final game. I'll be very sad. I wonder if he's going to be signing lots of sticks tonight... hopefully *IF* it's his final game, the fans at Staples will give him a royal send-off.

Win This One For Lucky!!!

Old
04-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Michalek

Flames fan there.
Kudoc for GDT , best one I have ever seen!

Hopefully it will be exciting game

Old
04-02-2004, 08:13 PM
LuckyLUC20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michalek
Flames fan there.
Kudoc for GDT , best one I have ever seen!

Hopefully it will be exciting game
thanks!

Congratulations to Flames fans by the way. I'm very happy for all of you. Long overdue playoff berth. Hope you guys do some damage (esp. to the "top" teams).

Old
04-02-2004, 08:28 PM
punchy1

I agree. Way to go Flames on a great year. Solid netminding and your young defence were what looked to be critical factors to me but, when you Iginla on your team you know you will have an honest effort each night.

I also have to admit (as it seems happens all too often) that Chris Simon has been a truly brilliant addition and my impression of his game has changed drastically since he came to your team.

I don't fancy you as a favorite to win the cup but, I do think you have an honest buggle of a chance as any of the non elite teams do.

Now, one request please, BEAT US TONIGHT!!!!

We need a to get a shot at the tenth overall pick so we can get a shot at the lotto move to 6th so we can make a straiff pisser of a wicked deal to nab either Ovechkin or Malik from this years draft.

Score, Kings 6 (Luc gets the hatter, Avery 2, Army 1)

Flames 7 (Iggy gets the hatter, Simon gets two, Leopold gets two.)

So, GO FLAMES! TUNE UP AGAINST OUR TEAM FOR THE CUP RUN!! DO US A FAVOUR!

( I hate it when we aren't going to the playoffs and I actually want us to lose. Bloody turncoat. I sort of feel like Andy Murray must feel right about now.)

(WINK)

Last edited by punchy1: 04-02-2004 at 08:31 PM.
Old
04-02-2004, 08:40 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
I hope Carter scores tonight. I honestly am still optimistic about him. I think that if he plays for us next year, he will return to the way he was. And I mean that in all seriousness.

Kings 2 (Carter, Carter)

Flames 0

Old
04-02-2004, 09:12 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Holy crap! What happened to Jim Fox's hair? It's buzzed! What, did he lose a bet or something? :lol

Old
04-02-2004, 10:51 PM
Malakian#13

Send a message via Yahoo to Malakian#13
2 - 1 Kings .... whos scored so far?

Old
04-02-2004, 11:11 PM
two out of three*

2-2 Tie going into the 3rd.

LA- Cowan, Belanger
CGY- Gelinas, Lombardi

Old
04-03-2004, 01:14 AM
LuckyLUC20

Well we lost ... AGAIN. This sucks. Huet looked really good tonight. Those 3 goals he let in were pretty unstoppable. He stoned Donovan on a breakaway, also another Flame. He stoned Iginla on a great chance on the 2-man advantage for Calgary. The goals that he allowed were results from nice, fast and crisp passing by the Flames... kind of like 2-on-1s. The Kings couldn't break up the cross-ice passes.

Old
04-03-2004, 01:17 AM
two out of three*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLUC20
Well we lost ... AGAIN. This sucks. Huet looked really good tonight. Those 3 goals he let in were pretty unstoppable. He stoned Donovan on a breakaway, also another Flame. He stoned Iginla on a great chance on the 2-man advantage for Calgary. The goals that he allowed were results from nice, fast and crisp passing by the Flames... kind of like 2-on-1s. The Kings couldn't break up the cross-ice passes.
Yea w/e.. I could careless now. They had intensity tonight, but it wasn't enough. They didn't perform like they used to. I cant wait for Playoff Hockey. Right around the corner!

Old
04-03-2004, 02:44 AM
maximil

Calgary is a legitimate team. What would you give up for Iginla? Haha... the Kings need to win with the cast of players they have. Sorry AM haters they are going to over acheive again next season. One step at a time.

I hate Allison.

Old
04-03-2004, 11:18 AM
punchy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximil
Calgary is a legitimate team. What would you give up for Iginla? Haha... the Kings need to win with the cast of players they have. Sorry AM haters they are going to over acheive again next season. One step at a time.

I hate Allison.

What do you mean by "sorry AM haters they going to over achieve again next season? Any explanation?

Last night, Carter saw 16:12 oit (40spp, 2:01sh) and was a minus one (-1).
Since becoming a King he is now minus seven (-7) in 14 games. He is averaging over 17:54 atoi per game (last night is the frist time he has seen less than 20mins in a game in the last three) and has produced 1 assist. If he is capable of doing the same in his next game, with our team being healthy(ish) I would say that Anson Carter is one of the players I would write off as a mistake.

I feel we have better in our system who would be cheaper and actually develope their game with the ice time as well as playing significantly better defence.

In Ansons position, or what it would be next year, you have to ask yourself this question, who would you rather have?

Anson or Barney?

Anson or Cammelleri?

Anson or Ziggy?

Anson or Straka?

Anson or Brown?

The reason I feel you have to do that is because Andy Murray WILL have Anson in our top six regardless of how poorly he produces. Accountability doesn't apply to Anson (or Belanger and a couple of others) so you know, that regardless of your take on Andy, Anson will be on our top six.

He will be taking the RW spot (please don't let him play center where he can hurt us even more) up there so, he will take the spot that one of those lads would have filled.

Who would you rather have in that spot on the ice? For me, it is Ziggy and Straka with Barney and Camms playing on a line with Kanko or Brown (who I would let start in the AHL so he can get his scoring back and then give some call ups till he sticks) well before Carter would ever see another second of ice time.

Belanger scores a goal breaking his string of totally useless performances as well as his minus defencive efforts. All in all, for Eric, he should retire after last night as it was the best game he has played in a long time.

ESPN (as well as a couple of other sites) listed Frolov as "unknown" for the reason he were scratched.

Of the lads who played last night, Avery, Lappy and Cowan were the best. (up front) Puppy had Iggy right pissed most of the night and couldn't get a flame to drop the gloves a couple of times. He tried pretty hard as well.

Vis had a great game and even Dempsey looked pretty good for the most part. In 23 mins of ice time he were dead even so that is a bright spot.

Brown looked good but, he simply isn't going to become anything more than a defencive forward for our team at this stage in his career. He is playing a game where his only concern is defencive hockey and when he has a chance at offence he passes or takes too long looking for the open man.

With the exception of Cowan, Avery, Lappy though, all of the lads played perimeter hockey.

Old
04-04-2004, 07:49 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLUC20
at this point, it's not worth winning. At this point, I think losing vs. the Sharks provides more motivation for next season. Many of these players will have to live with an 11-game losing streak to end the season, and that will only make them work harder, and make them better.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Closed Thread