HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

hemskey

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2004, 04:58 PM
koivu_11

vCash: 500
hemskey

ive noticed that the oilers are going with 3 lines latley, and hemskey isn't on any of them? i haven't seen him play much (since im a canucks fan) but last time i saw him play he was lookin real good, what happened to him??

Old
03-29-2004, 05:03 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by koivu_11
ive noticed that the oilers are going with 3 lines latley, and hemskey isn't on any of them? i haven't seen him play much (since im a canucks fan) but last time i saw him play he was lookin real good, what happened to him??
There are two schools of thought:

1)Hemskey has played like crap and doesn't deserve to play

2)MacT is an idiot.

Take your pick.

Old
03-29-2004, 05:09 PM
Slow Talking Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
There are two schools of thought:

1)Hemskey has played like crap and doesn't deserve to play

2)MacT is an idiot.

Take your pick.
I'm inclined to agree with 1. Hemmer is not only losing battles for the puck, sometimes he wont even force a battle. I feel his confidence is low, and if given some good icetime on an offencive line, he could turn things around, but other guys have earned those spots and are holding them. I dont blame the coach at all. At this point in the season, MacT has to give icetime to guys who give results.

Old
03-29-2004, 06:06 PM
koivu_11

oh ya but do you guy see a lot of potential in him... like will he be a 1st liner in the nhl sometime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil jack
I'm inclined to agree with 1. Hemmer is not only losing battles for the puck, sometimes he wont even force a battle. I feel his confidence is low, and if given some good icetime on an offencive line, he could turn things around, but other guys have earned those spots and are holding them. I dont blame the coach at all. At this point in the season, MacT has to give icetime to guys who give results.

Old
03-29-2004, 06:22 PM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil jack
yah mact has to give icetime who give results but how is he going to get isbister and hemsky in game form by giving them 3shifts a period for two periods and bench them. How can both players find their groove? I would like isbister and hemsky both ready for the playoffs if we make them because isbister is a big body and could cause havoc and hemsky could create space but neither are goign to play in a single playoff game probably this year. if we make it.

if we make the playoffs going into it i really dont like our lineup against the likes of detroit. we will absolutely get killed unless we play sanjose we have a godo chance but still is very iffy.

Old
03-29-2004, 06:50 PM
PineJockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrush
yah mact has to give icetime who give results but how is he going to get isbister and hemsky in game form by giving them 3shifts a period for two periods and bench them. How can both players find their groove? I would like isbister and hemsky both ready for the playoffs if we make them because isbister is a big body and could cause havoc and hemsky could create space but neither are goign to play in a single playoff game probably this year. if we make it.

if we make the playoffs going into it i really dont like our lineup against the likes of detroit. we will absolutely get killed unless we play sanjose we have a godo chance but still is very iffy.

The argument is moot if we don't get into playoffs - and the only way to get in is to play the people who are producing. At this point we simply don't have the luxury of letting players work themselves into a groove.

Old
03-29-2004, 07:18 PM
Matts

Well

at this point it's useless to play Hemsky and it could very well be a self fufiling prophecy for MacT when it comes to speculating on #83's lack of ineffectiveness.

Young Ales was a gamebreaker last season and I feel he will be again. Whether it's an Oilers uniform is another story for another time.

But right now he hasn't looked good for two gaems in a row since they've put the yo-yo on him.

Old
03-29-2004, 07:53 PM
Dangerdanger

He's 19, he's going to be a star in this league and I think Lowe and co. have seen enough guys leave teams and break out to know that they can take their sweet time with hemsky, the only thing that his low numbers right now are doing are stopping him from asking for ridiculous amounts of money before he's a complete player. I am perfectly happy with the way he is being handled right now.

Old
03-29-2004, 08:10 PM
Slow Talking Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_Gretzky
He's 19, he's going to be a star in this league and I think Lowe and co. have seen enough guys leave teams and break out to know that they can take their sweet time with hemsky, the only thing that his low numbers right now are doing are stopping him from asking for ridiculous amounts of money before he's a complete player. I am perfectly happy with the way he is being handled right now.
Agreed 100%. Right now we need to play a complete game with players that play a complete game. Hemsky is young and lacking that, but will get the opportunity to grow in oiler threads. The parts of his game that he has excelled at are not really showing right now, so little to no ice time is all he should be getting.

Old
03-29-2004, 08:20 PM
Oi'll say!

Ales is actually 20, he turns 21 this year.

At this point in time the game is being played with more intensity than Ales has been bringing, I hate to see a guy on my team just get flat out beaten in every battle.

He's still good in open ice with puck but that's his only asset right now and it's not paying dividends for the team.

Old
03-29-2004, 08:40 PM
Dangerdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Ales is actually 20, he turns 21 this year.

At this point in time the game is being played with more intensity than Ales has been bringing, I hate to see a guy on my team just get flat out beaten in every battle.

He's still good in open ice with puck but that's his only asset right now and it's not paying dividends for the team.
My bad. well the point is the same. I know that its hard to put on size when you're 19 years old and active, but once you reach the 21 -22 year age it gets a lot easier, and that will greatly help him grind it out in the corners in the future. I expect better things from him next year, but im looking at the year after that to really see his evolution. I think Pavel Datsyuk in detroit is the best comparison.

Old
03-30-2004, 07:16 AM
koivu_11

you're comparing him to datsyuk?? is that realistic? or just an oilers fan opinion? I thought he looked really good when i was watchin highlights of hemskey earlier this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_Gretzky
My bad. well the point is the same. I know that its hard to put on size when you're 19 years old and active, but once you reach the 21 -22 year age it gets a lot easier, and that will greatly help him grind it out in the corners in the future. I expect better things from him next year, but im looking at the year after that to really see his evolution. I think Pavel Datsyuk in detroit is the best comparison.

Old
03-30-2004, 08:42 AM
choppystride

Quote:
Originally Posted by koivu_11
you're comparing him to datsyuk?? is that realistic? or just an oilers fan opinion? I thought he looked really good when i was watchin highlights of hemskey earlier this year.
I think Hemsky can be better than Datsyuk. Datsyuk doesn't have Hemsky's speed.

I think Hemsky can challenge for the scoring title some day. Hopefully, he'll be doing it here.

Old
03-30-2004, 10:00 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I think Hemsky has lost a lot of confidence this year. I wouldn't be opposed to giving him some AHL time next year (esp if there is a lockout) and let him put on some muscle and get back into scoring fashion. This guy WILL be a player, he just needs to add about 20 pounds and get his confidence back. Also he needs someone to go over his game tapes with him and show him where he is making that extra move too many and where he should be just taking the shot...

And I agree that he will challenge for the scoring title eventually. This kid has wicked good skills

Old
03-30-2004, 11:16 AM
jadeddog

yeah hemsky hasnt been playing so hot lately, and he should really put on about 15 lbs if thats possible without him losing his amazing speed..... though i did notice that last game hemsky was shooting from almost anywhere, which was nice to see ...... i still think that hemsky will be a good player in the NHL, by the time hes 22 i think we could count on him being a very good 2nd line winger or an decent 1st liner.....as ive said before many times, i dont really buy into the idea that hemsky will one day be getting 80-90 points, but i could see him be a consistant 60-65 points/season player, and that is pretty dam good

Closed Thread