HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 Free Agency Thread II (All Blog Rumors, Proposals, etc in here)

Old
07-06-2009, 11:52 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

vCash: 500
Nothing on Puck-rakers or BlueJacketsXtra discussing the rumor as of now.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 12:02 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Filatov, Mayorov, Voracek, Hejda, Mason. And this is after decisions on Brassard, Russell, Vermette, Kesla, Methot, and any other entry-level guys we may or may not add.

There is a potential cap issue. There are ways around it, but pretending there isn't one is folly.

(That said, if one of the youngsters that would be resigned - thus contributing to the cap issue - is involved in this trade, it does minimize the potential impact.
Let's see...Filatov may be part of this trade, so problem solved there. Mayorov may never materialize into anything. Hejda could be replaced by someone less expensive from within the organization (Ruth, Moore, Holden, etc.). Mason will get his money. Voracek and Brass will only be RFA's, so they aren't going to get full market value on their next deal. Same for Russell, who will need to have a breakout year to generate any sort of significant money. Klesla is likely gone or signed on the cheap. Methot is going to arbitration and I bet gets signed for a low number, the question is term. Howson would be smart to re-sign Vermette now and keep his number low

Bottom line though--there are too many "ifs" when you are looking 3 years down the road. If you can get a guy like Heatley and put a real contender together over the next two years, you do it. Period. You worry about the other issues closer to when they are an actual issue.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 12:03 AM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
Who is Bob Stauffer?
He used to be a radio host in Edmonton and he is now one of the play by play guys for the Oilers on the radio. He occasionally posts here and he did(regarding this rumour). The guy has connection and I'll take his word for it. Another Edmonton media guy said the same thing as Stauffer.
Post 320 is where Bob posts to confirm the rumours were false.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=659819&page=13

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 12:06 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
Nothing on Puck-rakers or BlueJacketsXtra discussing the rumor as of now.
As soon as Portzline says its a possibility we can completely dismiss it.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 12:06 AM
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
He used to be a radio host in Edmonton and he is now one of the play by play guys for the Oilers on the radio. He occasionally posts here and he did(regarding this rumour). The guy has connection and I'll take his word for it. Another Edmonton media guy said the same thing as Stauffer.
i hate getting my hopes up. the Senschirp is really what was making me believe. I just want something big to happen here for once (besides the Nash resigning)

kidAcbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 12:09 AM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Quote:
Post 320 is where Bob posts to confirm the rumours were false.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=659819&page=13
That's good and all, but I just cannot understand why an Oilers PbP guy would be the one to say that...especially when Senschirp is reporting it as well.

Who knows, but someone will be wrong here.

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidAcbj View Post
i hate getting my hopes up. the Senschirp is really what was making me believe. I just want something big to happen here for once (besides the Nash resigning)
Senschirp doesn't make me "believe" so much as consider it worthy of dicussion rather than "lol eklund kthxbai"

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 12:15 AM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
That's good and all, but I just cannot understand why an Oilers PbP guy would be the one to say that...especially when Senschirp is reporting it as well.

Who knows, but someone will be wrong here.
Any chance Howson/someone from management told Bob that it was false so a situation like what happened to Edm doesn't happen to Columbus(as in names getting leaked before a trade is approved/denied)?

Filtov,Huselius, and Brassard is to much for my liking.

*If Heatley gets traded to the Blue Jackets, I would laugh. He goes from close to getting traded to my other fav team(EDM) to getting traded to my other team. For me, it seems like there are alot of connections between my two fav teams.

Old
07-07-2009, 12:24 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Any chance Howson/someone from management told Bob that it was false so a situation like what happened to Edm doesn't happen to Columbus(as in names getting leaked before a trade is approved/denied)?

Filtov,Huselius, and Brassard is to much for my liking.

*If Heatley gets traded to the Blue Jackets, I would laugh. He goes from close to getting traded to my other fav team(EDM) to getting traded to my other team. For me, it seems like there are alot of connections between my two fav teams.
It wasn't Filatov, Huselius, and Brassard for Heatley.

It was Filatov, Huselius, and Brassard are guys who could be in the deal. Not ALL in the deal.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 12:29 AM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
It wasn't Filatov, Huselius, and Brassard for Heatley.

It was Filatov, Huselius, and Brassard are guys who could be in the deal. Not ALL in the deal.
Oh, ok, thanks for the correction.

Old
07-07-2009, 12:39 AM
Brycios

Even though Sens Chirp is reliable, his blog says that this is only a rumour and 'may' have legs.

As for salary cap issues, I don't think it's worth saying no to one of the best goal scorers in the league because sometime in the future there may be salary cap issues. Heatley is a 28 year-old elite forward in the NHL. He's the kind of player you save cap space for.

Brycios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 12:39 AM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
I'm surprised Porty hasn't come out of the woodwork yet to completely shoot down this rumor yet
Don't worry, I'm sure he'll be a total buzzkill by the time we all wake up in the morning.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 12:43 AM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Senschirp doesn't make me "believe" so much as consider it worthy of dicussion rather than "lol eklund kthxbai"
Exactly. And at least it's a fun way to pass the time in a thread where everyone actually gets along and can enjoy the discussion.

Old
07-07-2009, 12:44 AM
Palinka

Heatley is not coming to Columbus.

And no, Howson wouldn't come right out and say, "Yeah, we're talking about getting Heatley." But, if the question were asked, there would be an answer along the lines of, "We're always looking for ways to improve our team".

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 12:49 AM
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
Heatley is not coming to Columbus.

And no, Howson wouldn't come right out and say, "Yeah, we're talking about getting Heatley." But, if the question were asked, there would be an answer along the lines of, "We're always looking for ways to improve our team".
source?

Old
07-07-2009, 01:01 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
You guys thought I was crazy for thinking we had a chance at Brad Richards.

And now you're discussing Heatley coming here without joking around???

Think about what you're saying.

I'll help out, we're not getting Heatley, don't get your hopes up.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:05 AM
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa

Ek's latest post

Quote:
Howson denied rumor. (no one expected him to confirm)Like it or not signing Nash long term has put the Jackets into the game. A good thing!

Old
07-07-2009, 01:27 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
You guys thought I was crazy for thinking we had a chance at Brad Richards.

And now you're discussing Heatley coming here without joking around???

Think about what you're saying.

I'll help out, we're not getting Heatley, don't get your hopes up.
I'd say your 90% correct but one never knows, perhaps Howson understands that he has a small window of time to utilize several low cost rookie/second year star players that need a costly veteran such as Heatley for overall team success.

Regardless of what some say, the team could be in budget trouble down the road if all of our young players reach star quality in the near future...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:28 AM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Let's see...Filatov may be part of this trade, so problem solved there. Mayorov may never materialize into anything. Hejda could be replaced by someone less expensive from within the organization (Ruth, Moore, Holden, etc.). Mason will get his money. Voracek and Brass will only be RFA's, so they aren't going to get full market value on their next deal. Same for Russell, who will need to have a breakout year to generate any sort of significant money. Klesla is likely gone or signed on the cheap. Methot is going to arbitration and I bet gets signed for a low number, the question is term. Howson would be smart to re-sign Vermette now and keep his number low

Bottom line though--there are too many "ifs" when you are looking 3 years down the road. If you can get a guy like Heatley and put a real contender together over the next two years, you do it. Period. You worry about the other issues closer to when they are an actual issue.
You don't replace a top shut-down defender in the league with some cheap 3rd tier prospect in the system. Hejda is to important of a piece to this team to lose.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:32 AM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
You don't replace a top shut-down defender in the league with some cheap 3rd tier prospect in the system. Hejda is to important of a piece to this team to lose.
Keep in mind he's 31. He'll be 33 when his current deal expires. At this pace he's looking like he has plenty left in the tank, probably helped by the fact that he came over the North America just a few years ago, but who knows.

At any rate, Moore or Ruth is hardly a "3rd tier prospect." And in 2 years, I bet Tyutin is our top defenseman.

Old
07-07-2009, 01:37 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
And in 2 years, I bet Tyutin is our top defenseman.
Based on minutes and shifts per game played last season he already is...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ewName=summary

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:53 AM
CrazyCanucks

Why do people belive Eklund so much? So Howson is going to give up the youth for a selfish player?

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:56 AM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
Why do people belive Eklund so much?
Something I've never understood. Eklund

As much as we all would love to have Heatley on a line with Nash, I just don't see it happening, especially when you consider the source is Eklund.

I'm hell bent against trading Brassard and Voracek. I'd rather not trade Filatov, but I'd be willing to part with him in the right deal.

Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 03:23 AM
CrazyCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassard Calder View Post
Something I've never understood. Eklund

As much as we all would love to have Heatley on a line with Nash, I just don't see it happening, especially when you consider the source is Eklund.

I'm hell bent against trading Brassard and Voracek. I'd rather not trade Filatov, but I'd be willing to part with him in the right deal.
Watch when it's a slow news day. He always has a top player from a canadian or a top us team traded away for some crap that he makes up. It's to drive the traffic to his website. But for some reason, people beleive him when he writes these outragous trade rumours.

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 04:12 AM
union artillery

Stephane Yelle could be coming to Jackets.

I've seen mention of Yelle coming to the CBJ. He made 750k last season, at 35 years old. I see him as Peca's replacement. Any thoughts.

union artillery is offline   Reply With Quote