HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 Free Agency Thread II (All Blog Rumors, Proposals, etc in here)

Old
07-07-2009, 04:24 AM
futurcorerock

vCash: 500

...?

futurcorerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 04:30 AM
futurcorerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
You guys thought I was crazy for thinking we had a chance at Brad Richards.

And now you're discussing Heatley coming here without joking around???

Think about what you're saying.

I'll help out, we're not getting Heatley, don't get your hopes up.
Well the beef with you is you won't stop bringing up Brad Richards

futurcorerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 04:40 AM
union artillery

we should try to get heatley, but it most likely will not happen. i would consider trading filatov, mayorov, and klesla. klesla's value is up right now due to his playoff performance i would think.

brassard, vorachek, and russell are not an option to trade away. i would prefer to keep huselius also, he could really be great on line2 with vorachek and vermette.

heatley,brassard,nash
vorachek,vermette,huselius
umberger,paullson,modin/torres
torres,chimera,boll/murray/dorsett

union artillery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
Why do people belive Eklund so much? So Howson is going to give up the youth for a selfish player?
As I've said - the only reason I don't just say "lol eklund kthxbai" and walk away is because it's more than just Eklund. That said, I do consider it to be astronomically unlikely... but it's still a fun mental exercise in the interim.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
You guys thought I was crazy for thinking we had a chance at Brad Richards.

And now you're discussing Heatley coming here without joking around???

Think about what you're saying.

I'll help out, we're not getting Heatley, don't get your hopes up.
To borrow a page from Pluckfur's book...

Dear, sweet, madly deluded TW... I thought of you as crazy for continuing to go on and on about it after the trade failed, not for thinking it had a chance.

I'm not convinced we have a realistic chance here, to be honest. But it's a fun discussion. That's all.

Old
07-07-2009, 08:47 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Repeat after me--there is no salary cap issue.

People are concerned about 3 years out...a year in which we are currently $27 million under the cap. Plenty of time to move assets, replace guys with less expensive players, etc. Detroit has 3 guys make $6 million plus this season, and they are significantly under the cap, but we can't do it with just two guys making more than $6 mill/year.
Yada, Yada, Yada.... Yes, but we don't have the same budget Detroit has.

There are currently no cap issues. You happy now? However, feel free to ignore the rest of the Jackets financial situation, in which it would seem likely we have an internal budget. Weird, I know. It's only been discussed for the last 8 trillion years (in forum years).

Repeat after me. We aren't going to flirt with the cap. Come on Capn, you can do it! And as much as you won't like to here it. And... We aren't likely to trade away top young asset for salary.

Seriously, if you're going to suggest we take on a mammoth salary, can you please, at least, make it an offensive d-man who is not a raging head case? We won't even mention some of our limited depth they are going to want back. I suppose if they take Juice back, it could probably fit in with what we are doing. I'd still rather get an o dman though.

I can add, I can subtract, I've got a decent idea of Howson's mind seems to work to this point. You're line of thinking is how some GM's think and it has some merit, but arguing it when Howson is the GM is likely an exercise in banging your head against the wall.

A certain Rat song is coming to mind.. Round-and-Round....

Last edited by blahblah: 07-07-2009 at 08:52 AM.
blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 08:59 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by union artillery View Post
I've seen mention of Yelle coming to the CBJ. He made 750k last season, at 35 years old. I see him as Peca's replacement. Any thoughts.
We already have Peca's replacement.

Old
07-07-2009, 10:51 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I'd say your 90% correct but one never knows, perhaps Howson understands that he has a small window of time to utilize several low cost rookie/second year star players that need a costly veteran such as Heatley for overall team success.

Regardless of what some say, the team could be in budget trouble down the road if all of our young players reach star quality in the near future...
Not really. I don't know why some people don't understand this, but we would just trade the guys we wanted to trade. You keep who you want and trade the others for young, cheap assets. Is it really a bad thing if we have to trade Filatov in 2 years, because we can't afford him, for a top prospect and a first round pick at the minimum? I would say no.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 11:08 AM
section 204

IF we're involved in a big trade that moves one of our top three young forwards...

... I'm hearing most of you say that Brassard cannot be moved.

... would you then prefer to move Voracek or Filatov? Whose ceiling do you think is higher?

We've seen enough of Voracek to feel really good about him. He seemed to be gaining Hitch's trust late in the season. He was very strong in the playoffs

Filaov of course flashed brilliance with the hat trick, but otherwise he's much more of a mystery to us. His contract clock has yet to start so he's got another year of club cost control. He also was drafted with the potential of playing center ice.

Thoughts?

section 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Skraut

It's tough because they are 2 completely different players.

Voracek is a playmaking set up man, who is very defensively responsible for someone so young.

Filatov is a pure scorer, who thinks about nothing but getting open, and getting the shot on net.

They compliment each other so well, and I think will eventually end up on the same line together, if both are kept by the Jackets.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by section 204 View Post
IF we're involved in a big trade that moves one of our top three young forwards...

... I'm hearing most of you say that Brassard cannot be moved.

... would you then prefer to move Voracek or Filatov? Whose ceiling do you think is higher?

We've seen enough of Voracek to feel really good about him. He seemed to be gaining Hitch's trust late in the season. He was very strong in the playoffs

Filaov of course flashed brilliance with the hat trick, but otherwise he's much more of a mystery to us. His contract clock has yet to start so he's got another year of club cost control. He also was drafted with the potential of playing center ice.

Thoughts?
Probably Filatov. Voracek at this point looks to be a solid top-6 forward no matter what we do, and we need those.

That said, I'm not very thrilled at the prospect of giving up either of 'em.

Old
07-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
It's tough because they are 2 completely different players.

Voracek is a playmaking set up man, who is very defensively responsible for someone so young.

Filatov is a pure scorer, who thinks about nothing but getting open, and getting the shot on net.

They compliment each other so well, and I think will eventually end up on the same line together, if both are kept by the Jackets.
Be still my beating heart...

(And the fun part about *this* fantasy is that it's much more probable! )

Old
07-07-2009, 11:31 AM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post

Welp, you sold me. I wouldn't trade either one of them for Danny Heatley considering we can have both of them for the next 5-6 years for less than Heater makes right now. Don't even get me started on how valuable Brassard is going to be.

Keep the core together. It's our best chance to take this team the farthest. Too many egos and big contracts will destroy us.

All I want is an offensive defenseman. Save the rest of the cash for the trade deadline/Vermette extension.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Brassard Calder

I emailed Portzline last night about this Eklund "rumor." And just as I expected his response:

Quote:
Thanks for the email.

It's a compete fabrication. No truth to it at all. He's famous -- literally -- for this stuff.

AP

Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
Welp, you sold me. I wouldn't trade either one of them for Danny Heatley considering we can have both of them for the next 5-6 years for less than Heater makes right now. Don't even get me started on how valuable Brassard is going to be.

Keep the core together. It's our best chance to take this team the farthest. Too many egos and big contracts will destroy us.

All I want is an offensive defenseman. Save the rest of the cash for the trade deadline/Vermette extension.
I'm with you, dru. I'd rather keep Brass, Jake, and Nik in the fold for now, as they will be quality, relatively inexpensive assets over the next few years. Adding a legitimate PPQB is what the team really needs to address right now.

Given Toronto's need for forwards and their current glut of defensemen, I would think we would be a good potential trade partner with them. I'd like to see a deal structured around Juice and Chimera + for Kaberle, so long as the + isn't one of the young studs mentioned above.

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassard Calder View Post
I emailed Portzline last night about this Eklund "rumor." And just as I expected his response:
as commented by others, b/c it was eklund I was ready to dismiss it, but when SensChirp picked up and says it has legs, that site seems to be relatively in touch...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
as commented by others, b/c it was eklund I was ready to dismiss it, but when SensChirp picked up and says it has legs, that site seems to be relatively in touch...
I had already dismissed it because of Eklund. Trust me, I know Eklund =

SensChirp says it "may have legs" not that it does, and frankly, I won't believe it until I see some credible proof. I know AP isn't always right, but the fact that he was so adamant it was a fabricated rumor and he has connections to Howson and the organization, I'll stick to not believing the rumor.

Old
07-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by union artillery View Post
I've seen mention of Yelle coming to the CBJ. He made 750k last season, at 35 years old. I see him as Peca's replacement. Any thoughts.
Eh, he's nothing special. I don't really want him. For 750K I guess he could be our 4th line center if Howson and Hitch don't feel confident with using someone we already have there. Where did you see that the Jackets had interest in Yelle?

Old
07-07-2009, 12:37 PM
BluejacketNut

It could come from AP and I wouldnt believe it for a second. We dont go after elite NHL talent. There's only room for 1 $7m+ contract on the Jackets

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
It could come from AP and I wouldnt believe it for a second. We dont go after elite NHL talent. There's only room for 1 $7m+ contract on the Jackets
true...but he's not making $7m+...just the cap hit...he's making 6 from here on out from what I've read....

EDIT...nm...just reread NHL Numbers...8 for the next couple then 6 then 5

Last edited by Fro: 07-07-2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: my own stupidity...
Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 12:43 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassard Calder View Post
It sounds to me like he dismissed it, without talking to anyone, because you said it was by Eklund.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 12:49 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

An intriguing, but unlikely happening.

I certianly wouldn't move more than one youngster for Heater. If one had to go, I'd part ways with Filatov -- losing Brass or Russ would make thin positions nearly translucent. Voracek's game fits Hitch better and he's already integrated into this team.

Though I railed against trading Juice earlier - a deal for Heatley would be a scenario where it would make sense.

I know Murray has wood for Russell allegedly, but it'd be hard to part with him without having an offensively capable dman in house.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:09 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
It sounds to me like he dismissed it, without talking to anyone, because you said it was by Eklund.
I have no idea why anyone bothers to email AP about this stuff.

Old
07-07-2009, 01:10 PM
jacks johnson

No way I would trade Filatov. He has the most upside of any prospect we have had. How many guys score a hat trick in their first few games ? Dude is pure offense, which the jackets need. Brassard, is second on my list of untouchables, because we are so thin at Center. Voracek, maybe ? We are deep at the wing position, but I'm not moving Voracek unless we get a very good young offensive defenseman. Our need is center, and offensive defenseman, so why would we even entertain Heatley. If we were considering moving one of our elite young players, it would have probably been for Spezza since we are thin at center.

jacks johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Casework

To his credit, Eklund doesn't normally back up any of these wild rumors. But this one he seems to feel pretty strongly about (that at least it's a possibility, whether or not it will happen).

I don't think I've ever seen him respond to peoples comments regarding rumors before, but he won't let this one go. On Twitter he just responded to Portzline:

Quote:
It's ok for the jackets to be included in a rumor and deny it, but it is NOT a fabrication. feel free to phone me Aaron.
I don't think I've ever seen him act this way before.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote