HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 Free Agency Thread II (All Blog Rumors, Proposals, etc in here)

Old
07-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 315
Eklund's challenge to Portzline

Just saw this on my twitter account, quoting from Ek:

It's ok for the jackets to be included in a rumor and deny it, but it is NOT a fabrication. feel free to phone me Aaron.

This is in response to Porty's assertion that a Heatley trade to Columbus is pure fabrication

Last edited by Fred Glover: 07-07-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Brassard Calder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
To his credit, Eklund doesn't normally back up any of these wild rumors. But this one he seems to feel pretty strongly about (that at least it's a possibility, whether or not it will happen).

I don't think I've ever seen him respond to peoples comments regarding rumors before, but he won't let this one go. On Twitter he just responded to Portzline:

I don't think I've ever seen him act this way before.

So we know Eklund reads this forum.

EDIT---

Or AP's twitter

Quote:
Dispatch: Heatley-to-Columbus rumors are a complete fabrication, 100 percent not true.

Last edited by Brassard Calder: 07-07-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
Just saw this on my twitter account, quoting from Ek:

It's ok for the jackets to be included in a rumor and deny it, but it is NOT a fabrication. feel free to phone me Aaron.

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Eklund-Portzline-Lori Schmidt in a love triangle-E1.5

07-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Renion

I think this will end up like a horror movie. AP will be full of vim and vigor until he makes the phone call, and then he'll start making blog posts full of effusive praise for Eklund.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Brassard Calder

Old
07-07-2009, 01:39 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

GO PORTY GO!!!

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Brassard Calder

In Jim Hughson's voice...

"were gonna have a scrap..its Eklund and Portzline tangling at the blueline"

Old
07-07-2009, 01:45 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Or in the words of Mike Emrick..."And a crowd gathers!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
Them's fightin' words.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Eklund-Portzline-Lori Schmidt in a love triangle-E1.5
God help Eklund and Portzline. Is the triangle with Lori or that god awful hat she wears all the time. I've never known that a woman actually wanted to look like Bert Sugar.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Twenty bucks on Porty. Let's have ourselves a good clean fight.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:51 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Love him or hate him, Eklund has sources. Bob MacKenzie has even admitted that. Darren Dreger of TSN admitted to being scooped by Eklund on a couple deals on Day 1 of free agency.

I'd take the word of those guys over Portzline. I don't think Portzline's guesses are any better than about 90% of the posters on HF, to be honest.

Does this mean "HEATLEY TO COLUMBUS!!!!! OMGGGGGGG!!!" is a thread title we'll see within the next 48 hours? Hardly. But taking Portzline's word as the end-all, be-all is a very poor course of action.

Last edited by DJAnimosity: 07-07-2009 at 02:09 PM.
DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:58 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Love him or hate him, Eklund has sources. Bob MacKenzie has even admitted that. .
he definetly has a good Nashville source, he has been right several times and scooped everyone on the Kariya signing.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
To his credit, Eklund doesn't normally back up any of these wild rumors. But this one he seems to feel pretty strongly about (that at least it's a possibility, whether or not it will happen).

I don't think I've ever seen him respond to peoples comments regarding rumors before, but he won't let this one go. On Twitter he just responded to Portzline:

I don't think I've ever seen him act this way before.
After the Vermette deal I'd say Howson has some good lines of communication with Ottawa so one never knows. Heatley would put our goal scoring into bonified playoff position and take the focus off of Nash.. I'd trade Voracek for him, but not Brass or Filatov. We must keep Brass to fill our center weakness, as for Filatov, trading him now would be a mistake because we simply don't have enough knowledge of his NHL potential yet-we’d be trading blind.

It's a dream though, I hope there is some truth to these rumors but I doubt it.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:11 PM
blahblah

Meh, don't know what type of info Ek has. However, it's safe to say most potential deals die in the middle of the converstation or after consideration from one side. Which means we likely here about < 1% of all trades proposals or discussion. Meaning, Ek's sources might be right that a converstation occured.

The key is how realistic it ever was.

Sens call CBJ, Howson answers:

Murray: "Want Heatley?"
Howson: "Maybe, what do you have for me?"
Murray: <insert deal>.
Howson: <giggles> "We'll think about it". Howson goes back to Wii Tennis. "Ha! Power Serve!"

Heatley to Pens (e4)

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:14 PM
BTD5504

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
he definetly has a good Nashville source, he has been right several times and scooped everyone on the Kariya signing.
he also said Ovechkin was going to go to Nashville...

BTD5504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Rometiklan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTD5504 View Post
he also said Ovechkin was going to go to Nashville...
Was that an (e5)?

Rometiklan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:32 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
After the Vermette deal I'd say Howson has some good lines of communication with Ottawa so one never knows. Heatley would put our goal scoring into bonified playoff position and take the focus off of Nash.. I'd trade Voracek for him, but not Brass or Filatov. We must keep Brass to fill our center weakness, as for Filatov, trading him now would be a mistake because we simply don't have enough knowledge of his NHL potential yet-we’d be trading blind.

It's a dream though, I hope there is some truth to these rumors but I doubt it.
So, let me get this right. You wouldn't trade what we don't know, and might be, over what we do know and know is a very good top 6 forward who fits well in our system?

Last edited by RDriesenUD: 07-07-2009 at 02:53 PM.
RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:38 PM
jacks johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
So, let me get this right. You would trade what we don't know and might be over what we do know and know is a very good top 6 forward who fits well in our system?
You correct. I woulndt trade Filatov, based on the shot and speed he has. This is something you cant teach. Especially for a wing which we have a ton of. Why would we pick up another wing, all the salary, for a guy that has a bad track record. Then we have less assets, still no offensive defenseman, still no depth at center, and a higher payroll.

jacks johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyes1 View Post
You correct. I woulndt trade Filatov, based on the shot and speed he has. This is something you cant teach. Especially for a wing which we have a ton of. Why would we pick up another wing, all the salary, for a guy that has a bad track record. Then we have less assets, still no offensive defenseman, still no depth at center, and a higher payroll.
Voracek plays hitch hockey, filatov is undersized, doesn't play defense. Voracek is already in the top 6 and even broke the top line last year. This kid is already reaching big time levels and has a role on the team. Filatov may start the year in the AHL again, due to the number of wingers we have. This type of trade will cause a fix of sorts to that problem, we drop a winger with and keep three solid lines plus the murrey/dorsett/modin, chimmer line...I think this trade makes a lot of sense and adds 10-15 goals....

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:50 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyes1 View Post
Even if Filatov becomes a 40 goal scorer, you traded a potential 40 goal scorer for a guy that's scored 50 goals twice. You are trading possible production for a young player that has proven he has done it and is still pretty young.

I'm not a huge Heatley fan, but let's be a little realistic here. His contract is pretty managable, especially if you can send Huselius back the other direction. Not saying Juice + Filatov for Heatley and I'd do it.

I think there is almost no chance for this deal to occur, but I am not afraid to trade Filatov if I get a 30+ goal scorer back. 40 or 50? Even better.

Having said that, there's no way I trade Brass for Heatley. We are too weak up the middle and Brass seemed ready to breakout last year.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Even if Filatov becomes a 40 goal scorer, you traded a potential 40 goal scorer for a guy that's scored 50 goals twice. You are trading possible production for a young player that has proven he has done it and is still pretty young.

I'm not a huge Heatley fan, but let's be a little realistic here. His contract is pretty managable, especially if you can send Huselius back the other direction. Not saying Juice + Filatov for Heatley and I'd do it.

I think there is almost no chance for this deal to occur, but I am not afraid to trade Filatov if I get a 30+ goal scorer back. 40 or 50? Even better.

Having said that, there's no way I trade Brass for Heatley. We are too weak up the middle and Brass seemed ready to breakout last year.
I agree on all points. Nash and Heater have proven chemistry, being able to watch them up close on a line together when they were here in Hali for the worlds was something to behold.

Filatov is dynamic, for sure. He will likely be the next big Russian NHLer, but if we can get a proven commodity for him I say go for it IMO. If Juice's salary comes off the books, it's as you say-manageable. Also, if we can get away with keeping all of our picks- it won't de-rail the future.

Like most around here, I put next to no stock in this rumour, but a Filatov+Huselius trade makes sense for sure. The only issues I see potentially happening (again, hypothetically) are that Murray may want a prospect like Goloubef, Ruth or Weber added, and it doesn't look so good from a UFA standpoint- we sign Juice long term only to trade him the following season. That kind of scenario isn't forgotten by players and their agents when they look to sign somewhere, thinking that long term truly means long term.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 03:15 PM
PCH
Dangle.Snipe.Celly

Quote:

Sens call CBJ, Howson answers:

Murray: "Want Heatley?"
Howson: "Maybe, what do you have for me?"
Murray: <insert deal>.
Howson: <giggles> "We'll think about it". Howson goes back to Wii Tennis. "Ha! Power Serve!"

Heatley to Pens (e4)
well played

PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 03:19 PM
PCH
Dangle.Snipe.Celly

I agree with Macster the person he's agreeing with above.

On the topic of Filatov being undersized:

I'm sure most of us have seen this pic of him from the combine... but tell me Brassard is "bigger" than Nikita and I will tell you that you are incorrect.

That said, proven commodity over potential, anyday. Would still rather Huselius be the main component of any potential deal due to the money working out better for us, I might seriously consider a trade where Filatov is the main component (along with say, Chimera or Torres/Modin/Boll)

PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 03:25 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Meh, don't know what type of info Ek has. However, it's safe to say most potential deals die in the middle of the converstation or after consideration from one side. Which means we likely here about < 1% of all trades proposals or discussion. Meaning, Ek's sources might be right that a converstation occured.

Bingo.

There's a lot of ground to cover between an initial inquiry and crossing the t's and dotting the i's.

Talks occur all the time - just because a finalized deal doesn't occur doesn't mean Eklund or Portzline or whomever is "liar."

Dr. Kal's Rx: Take EVERY rumor, regardless of source, with the appropriate grains of salt...

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote