HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2009 Free Agency Thread II (All Blog Rumors, Proposals, etc in here)

Old
07-07-2009, 02:27 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Even if Filatov becomes a 40 goal scorer, you traded a potential 40 goal scorer for a guy that's scored 50 goals twice. You are trading possible production for a young player that has proven he has done it and is still pretty young.

I'm not a huge Heatley fan, but let's be a little realistic here. His contract is pretty managable, especially if you can send Huselius back the other direction. Not saying Juice + Filatov for Heatley and I'd do it.

I think there is almost no chance for this deal to occur, but I am not afraid to trade Filatov if I get a 30+ goal scorer back. 40 or 50? Even better.

Having said that, there's no way I trade Brass for Heatley. We are too weak up the middle and Brass seemed ready to breakout last year.
Double bingo.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Bingo.

There's a lot of ground to cover between an initial inquiry and crossing the t's and dotting the i's.

Talks occur all the time - just because a finalized deal doesn't occur doesn't mean Eklund or Portzline or whomever is "liar."

Dr. Kal's Rx: Take EVERY rumor, regardless of source, with the appropriate grains of salt...
I highly endorse this post and the insights contained within.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:36 PM
AV50

Eklund, the one usually getting owned.. Owns Porty, lolololol.

AV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:37 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
The only issues I see potentially happening (again, hypothetically) are that Murray may want a prospect like Goloubef, Ruth or Weber added, and it doesn't look so good from a UFA standpoint- we sign Juice long term only to trade him the following season. That kind of scenario isn't forgotten by players and their agents when they look to sign somewhere, thinking that long term truly means long term.
Nah, the Juice fallout would be minimal. People tend understand if you trade them for a 50 goal scorer. It wouldn't be a normal trade that would come by your desk.

As far as something beyond Huselius and Filatov? Maybe a pick or something. The Sens are dumping a lot of salary the other direction, getting a serviceable replacement, and what is considered on the top prospects in the game for a guy that doesn't even want to be there and is considered to be headcase atm.

I don't care what Heatley's "worth". Richards became a lot less valuable as time went on trying to move him. Tampa really didn't get crap for him. If anything I think this is giving the Sens too much.

The only reason I'd even remotely consider it is that if we move Juice the other direction, it kind of works payroll wise. Heatley does make me nervous.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:40 PM
BluejacketNut

I'm willing to bet EK's site gets about a billion more hits then AP's blog

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:53 PM
cbj21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassard Calder View Post

So we know Eklund reads this forum.

EDIT---

Or AP's twitter
Eklund post on HF from time to time so its not that strange.

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
I'm willing to bet EK's site gets about a billion more hits then AP's blog
and is a billion times less accurate.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Brassard Calder

Marchant re-signed with the Ducks today, two year deal. He'll make $1 million this season and $1.25 million in 2010-11.

Last edited by Brassard Calder: 07-07-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 03:02 PM
BallinLikeComrie

Would you guys do Umberger + Filatov for Heater?

BallinLikeComrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Brassard Calder

Pronger signed a 7 year $35 million extension with the Flyers today. IMO, a long contract for a guy who is starting on the downswing of his career. The cap hit of $5 million isn't too bad, but I think the years are too many. Pronger will be 42 when the deal ends.

Last edited by Brassard Calder: 07-07-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old
07-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallinLikeComrie View Post
Nope.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
No way. Umberger is here to stay and probably for a long time.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
No. Umberger's smaller contract means it's not enough reduced cap hit - and he's already a major fan favorite here owing to 1) his playoff stud status and 2) his having played at Ohio State.

Huselius and Filatov for Heatley and a one-year salary dump (Smith?) would be the most reasonable deal for both sides, I think.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
No thanks. I really like Umberger a lot. In his first year he became one of the leaders in the lockerroom and has proven to be a great playoff performer. IMO, he is the heart and soul of this team. He is always working hard and always says the right things. He's a great leader on and off the ice, and recently made Columbus his year round home.

Old
07-07-2009, 03:18 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Nope.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 03:21 PM
blahblah

Just say no to trading playoff magicman!

Old
07-07-2009, 03:26 PM
BallinLikeComrie

fair enough, I just cant see murray having alot of interest in huselious especially after the kovalev signing. Taking back umberger instead of huselious also would mean we wouldnt have to dump an extra contract like smith.

Heater and Nash on a line would be ridiculous, I remember watching them last year at the world championships and look forward to watching them tear up the olympics. If a trade goes through between Ottawa and columbus I think you guys would definitely do some damage in the west.

Old
07-07-2009, 03:32 PM
blahblah

Quote:
fair enough, I just cant see murray having alot of interest in huselious especially after the kovalev signing. Taking back umberger instead of huselious also would mean we wouldnt have to dump an extra contract like smith.
Top six winger that can move up in the event of an injury. A little overpriced, but a 20-30 goal scorer is a decent return for a player that wants out of town.

Having said that, we're likely wasting our time here talking about it.

Old
07-07-2009, 03:42 PM
BallinLikeComrie

Quote:
Top six winger that can move up in the event of an injury. A little overpriced, but a 20-30 goal scorer is a decent return for a player that wants out of town.

Having said that, we're likely wasting our time here talking about it.
Thats what this site is for.

He may have asked for a trade but that does not negate his on ice skills. I think the media has kind of made him a folk devil but in reality I dont think his character is all that bad. The senators all have good things to say of him and I thought I read somewhere hitch had said something as well that wouldnt indicate any character flaws.

Getting a player like heater for 6 mil a year is a ridiculous price, especially for teams operating on their own budget. If a deal does end up going through or if one is even being discussed, I really believe murray would be asking for umberger. Your prospects are all amazing but something else would have to be added in and I dont think murray will add anyone else who could be considered soft into our top 6.

Old
07-07-2009, 03:43 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassard Calder View Post
Marchant re-signed with the Ducks today, two year deal. He'll make $1 million this season and $1.25 million in 2010-11.
I would have taken Marchant's deal over Pahlsson's. Oh well.

Quote:
Yada, Yada, Yada.... Yes, but we don't have the same budget Detroit has.

There are currently no cap issues. You happy now? However, feel free to ignore the rest of the Jackets financial situation, in which it would seem likely we have an internal budget. Weird, I know. It's only been discussed for the last 8 trillion years (in forum years).
[blahblah's internal monologue]
Quote:
Eww...ewww, a new post from Capn, I must respond with a contrarian view.
The person was talking about the cap which is a leaguewide rule. Budgets are artificial constructs of management and are easily changed based on the whims of management.

Quote:
Repeat after me. We aren't going to flirt with the cap. Come on Capn, you can do it! And as much as you won't like to here it. And... We aren't likely to trade away top young asset for salary.
Because it makes more sense to keep a bunch of prospects and hope they turn into something rather than acquire a known commodity. Particularly if we also offload salary in the process. But hey, I'll let you argue the point...with yourself.

Quote:
Even if Filatov becomes a 40 goal scorer, you traded a potential 40 goal scorer for a guy that's scored 50 goals twice. You are trading possible production for a young player that has proven he has done it and is still pretty young.

I'm not a huge Heatley fan, but let's be a little realistic here. His contract is pretty managable, especially if you can send Huselius back the other direction. Not saying Juice + Filatov for Heatley and I'd do it.

I think there is almost no chance for this deal to occur, but I am not afraid to trade Filatov if I get a 30+ goal scorer back. 40 or 50? Even better.
Quote:
Seriously, if you're going to suggest we take on a mammoth salary, can you please, at least, make it an offensive d-man who is not a raging head case? We won't even mention some of our limited depth they are going to want back. I suppose if they take Juice back, it could probably fit in with what we are doing. I'd still rather get an o dman though.
Would you rather have made the Pronger trade than the alleged/proposed Heatley deal? I wouldn't. Right now there aren't a ton of options on the d-man front. Might change, might not. But that doesn't mean to you pass up other opportunities to imrpvoe your team.

Quote:
...I've got a decent idea of Howson's mind seems to work to this point.
Just because Howson has operated a certain way to this point doesn't mean he won't change tactics if/when he feels he can get this team to the level of being a bona fide contender. Just as Brian Burke is making more understated deals with the Leafs than he did with the Ducks, GM's can adapt to the situation. I would hope Howson is capable of that.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 03:46 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Thats what this site is for.

He may have asked for a trade but that does not negate his on ice skills. I think the media has kind of made him a folk devil but in reality I dont think his character is all that bad. The senators all have good things to say of him and I thought I read somewhere hitch had said something as well that wouldnt indicate any character flaws.

Getting a player like heater for 6 mil a year is a ridiculous price, especially for teams operating on their own budget. If a deal does end up going through or if one is even being discussed, I really believe murray would be asking for umberger. Your prospects are all amazing but something else would have to be added in and I dont think murray will add anyone else who could be considered soft into our top 6.
C'mon, you were getting n'er do well Dustin Penner in your trade with the Oilers. Heatley's value is based on what GM's are willing to offer and the Oilers trade is a pretty good indication of that value. His value is further impeded by the fact that he can veto any deal Murray makes.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 03:58 PM
BallinLikeComrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
C'mon, you were getting n'er do well Dustin Penner in your trade with the Oilers. Heatley's value is based on what GM's are willing to offer and the Oilers trade is a pretty good indication of that value. His value is further impeded by the fact that he can veto any deal Murray makes.
Apparently murray wanted penner. I wouldnt mind penner to play with spezza I think he could get 25-30 g's. I dont understand all the penner hate, he is probably overpaid and he did underachieve in edmonton but most oilers did. I really dont mind the oiler trade, I hope that deal goes through assuming we add smith in to get under the salary cap. We were also getting two promising young guns in that deal so it is safe to assume heater still does have value, especially for teams who cant afford to drop mega bucks on free agents.

Old
07-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
So, let me get this right. You wouldn't trade what we don't know, and might be, over what we do know and know is a very good top 6 forward who fits well in our system?

Filatov could end up being twice the offensive threat Voracek ever will, can't get without giving so if one of the big three youth had to go to get Heatley my choice as of today would be Voracek. yep.

Last edited by Robert: 07-07-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

I haven't sifted through this entire "thread" yet, but has anyone else caught the typo?

Bad, Samkow! BAD!

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Moo View Post
I haven't sifted through this entire "thread" yet, but has anyone else caught the typo?

Bad, Samkow! BAD!

I was trying something out, leaving the R out of threads, because you know, that implies referees, who all hate Columbus.

It was like that in the old one, not sure how it got missed.

"Why didn't anyone tell me my ass looked so big."