HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sens board Playoff Pool

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2004, 10:03 AM
GoethesGouda

vCash: 500
Count me in!

Old
03-30-2004, 10:19 AM
Quantas

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
Make it 7. With up to 20 people, the talent pool is going to be pretty light as it is.

Draft order can done by some random method. Some other issues to think about_:

1. Do we want to have roster minimums by position (i.e. each team must possess one goalie and two defencemen per team)?
2. While there is no money on the line, we should have something at stake. How about after the playoffs, all losers must sport the avatar of the winner's choosing for the remainder of the off-season. For those of us less artistically inclined, we may have to enlist the services of SensGod to help us out.
Okay, we're up to 21 so I'm going to have to close it down now...If someone really, really wants to join, I'll be inclinded to let them but I'm declaring a firm max of 25.

1. Roster mins...never thought about that. That's definitely one way to spread out the talent and prevent people from stocking up on forwards. How about we go with what you proposed. 7 rounds, min of 1 goalie and 2 defensemen...the rest are up to you.

2. Good idea, and maybe posters will have to sign off all their posts with "We humbly bow before XXX's playoff pool mastery." , or something like that.

Old
03-30-2004, 10:47 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

I'm in - and just under the wire I hope...

Old
03-30-2004, 10:55 AM
sensfan18

Im in! Playoff pools are the s**t . Please make room for me.

Old
03-30-2004, 11:00 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantas
1. Roster mins...never thought about that. That's definitely one way to spread out the talent and prevent people from stocking up on forwards. How about we go with what you proposed. 7 rounds, min of 1 goalie and 2 defensemen...the rest are up to you.
With 25 people as a max, the goalie minimum may be difficult to do, as their are only 16 starters, and maybe 4 or 5 back-ups that have any real chance of playing (Prusek, Esche, Legace). If we do put it in, then we should definitely make a rule saying that you can only pick 1 goalie.

Old
03-30-2004, 11:21 AM
Quantas

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
With 25 people as a max, the goalie minimum may be difficult to do, as their are only 16 starters, and maybe 4 or 5 back-ups that have any real chance of playing (Prusek, Esche, Legace). If we do put it in, then we should definitely make a rule saying that you can only pick 1 goalie.
Alright, 1 goalie min rule is OUT, 1 goalie max rule is IN.

We're now up to 23 so I'm officially making a dealine of 12:00 PM EST for those who want in (25 max rule still in effect).

Now, does anyone know of a digital way to draw straws, to determine drafting order?

Old
03-30-2004, 11:48 AM
Hossa

I'm in. WHOA, that's right under the wire. You thought you were cutting it close Doc, I got in with 14 minutes to spare.

Also, my two cents on what we should do, but I would defenitely have a set number of players each takes. Like, 1 goalie, 2 defence and 4 forwards or something along those lines. That's how I'd do it.

Old
03-30-2004, 12:18 PM
Lexicon Devil

re

I'll be the last.

Edit - didn't see the time limit... you can scratch me if you like, but I'll whine to the media like Chris Neil.

Old
03-30-2004, 12:19 PM
Quantas

That's it, the registration booth is now closed. We have 24 poolies.

Hossa: we were going to have a rule of 1 goalie minimum, but with only 16 teams and 24 poolies, that's not feasible.

Because of that, I'm open to a rule of anyone not having a goalie must have 3 defensemen. Sounds fair? Other rules are listed in an earlier post.

We still haven't figured out how to determine a drafting order.

Old
03-30-2004, 12:22 PM
Quantas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil
I'll be the last.

Edit - didn't see the time limit... you can scratch me if you like, but I'll whine to the media like Chris Neil.
Whoops didn't see your post Devil. The "registration" closed at 12:00 PM EST. I'm open to letting you in, but it's up to the others.

How about our fair and unbiased mods, Hossa and discostu, decide? Other poolies can also chime in.

Old
03-30-2004, 12:46 PM
Hossa

Quote:
That's it, the registration booth is now closed. We have 24 poolies.

Hossa: we were going to have a rule of 1 goalie minimum, but with only 16 teams and 24 poolies, that's not feasible.

Because of that, I'm open to a rule of anyone not having a goalie must have 3 defensemen. Sounds fair? Other rules are listed in an earlier post.

We still haven't figured out how to determine a drafting order.
It depends on how we do it. If we want goaltenders, involved, we could simply say anybody can take whatever goalie they want (so pick 1 goalie, no limits), but the rest is done via live draft. People could pick their goalie either before or after the rest of the live draft, dependingon what we think would make it more interesting.

That's just one idea.

As for Lexican Devil, I have no problem giving him a reprieve, and calling it a set group now.

Old
03-30-2004, 01:06 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
If there aren't going to be enough goalies for everyone, wouldn't it be best to do away with them altogether?
Whoever drafts at the end of the first round gets shafted by virtue of pure luck..

Old
03-30-2004, 01:13 PM
Quantas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
If there aren't going to be enough goalies for everyone, wouldn't it be best to do away with them altogether?
Whoever drafts at the end of the first round gets shafted by virtue of pure luck..
Well, Hossa's solution was to allow people to pick whoever they wanted. Meaning Manny Legace could be picked by 3 different poolies.

Or there's my solution, force anyone without a goalie to pick 3 defensemen. Anyone know how to set up a poll? Are there any other suggestions?

Old
03-30-2004, 01:16 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
I like Hossa's idea.

Old
03-30-2004, 01:22 PM
Quantas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
I like Hossa's idea.
Fair enough. People have the rest of today to voice any objections to that rule.

2 defensemen rule is still in effect.
7 rounds is also still in effect.

Old
03-30-2004, 01:41 PM
Spezza

I like Hossa's idea too. It's easier to manage. Everyone picks whoever they want

Everyone can post their players and it works quite nicely.

Old
03-30-2004, 02:29 PM
TexSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza
I like Hossa's idea too. It's easier to manage. Everyone picks whoever they want

Seems fair enough to me too. I doubt 24 or 25 people are going to pick exactly the same players in a roster.

Old
03-30-2004, 02:35 PM
TexSen

In case it hasn't been suggested yet, maybe we could start a dedicated thread for the rules once we're decided on them, with a separate draft thread etc. so that we don't miss something if a certain rule is in say the fourth page of this thread if it gets to 7 pages or something?

Old
03-30-2004, 02:38 PM
Quantas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSen
Seems fair enough to me too. I doubt 24 or 25 people are going to pick exactly the same players in a roster.
Err...I was under the impression that it was only the goalies where people could pick whoever they want. All other picks would be called using a structured drafting format.

Are we changing that to a free for all? That's a pretty big change from before. Perhaps a vote is in order.

Old
03-30-2004, 02:39 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza

It depends if we want to have everybody pick their 7 players, and anybody can take whoever they want, or we can have everybody pick a goalie and draft the other 6. It might be impossible to get everybody in a chat room before the playoffs start (considering nothing's set right now anyways) and doing a draft on the boards could be tough in that short period of time. To make things easy, having everybody pick 7 (or in this case maybe 10 or 12) players, and just add it all up at the end. I did this exact same type of pool in high school and it's always very interesting because you'll end up with big scores but tight races. Obviously, seven players might be a bit too few in this case because I wouldn't be surprised if two people came up with identical lists if we were only picking seven.

Now, officepools is a place where I know my high school pool ran it (I didn't run it, just to be clear), and it worked this exact way. SensGod brought up the link, so he may know more about how it works. Obviously if we had a common place to go it would help a lot, rather than having somebody adding up the scores and everything.

Depends on what people want to do. As long as we get this off the ground, everybody will have a great time regardless.

Old
03-30-2004, 02:48 PM
sensfan18

Quote:
Err...I was under the impression that it was only the goalies where people could pick whoever they want. All other picks would be called using a structured drafting format.

Are we changing that to a free for all? That's a pretty big change from before. Perhaps a vote is in order.
I agree, free for all on goalies only (IMO).

Old
03-30-2004, 02:48 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
I say draft 6 and let us choose our goalies. Letting everyone pick the same player isn't a good idea because 75% of our rosters would look the same. Forsberg, Thornton, Hossa, Blake, etc.

Old
03-30-2004, 02:56 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting004
I say draft 6 and let us choose our goalies. Letting everyone pick the same player isn't a good idea because 75% of our rosters would look the same. Forsberg, Thornton, Hossa, Blake, etc.
Yep, either way. Bigger rosters and a free for all or smaller rosters and a draft of six players, sounds good.

Old
03-30-2004, 03:21 PM
supermann_98

I'm in! I want Sundin as my 1st overall pick.

Old
03-30-2004, 03:31 PM
GoethesGouda

If we include goaltenders, I think it should be a free-for-all. It's not like everyone would pick the same goalie. If New Jersey looked good I could see everyone going for Brodeur, but that is not the case. I don't even know who I'm going to pick.

I'm for either a draft or a free-for-all, with respect to the players. I ran a pool where you picked 12 forwards, 6 defensemen and a goalie. It went rather well. There were a few players that most people had (Forsberg, Sakic, Shanahan... etc), but there was a good deal of diversity. I say if everyone picks the same player, throw that player out and give everyone another pick. In the case of a free-for-all, I suggest that everyone private message his or her picks to the coordinator. That way people can't cherry pick.

If it is a free for all, you have to allow for more players. Everyone's top 5-7 will be about the same. I would love to have a draft, but realistically it will be very difficult to coordinate.

Either way I'm interested. I just thought I would make a few suggestions.

Closed Thread