HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Asking the Impossible?

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2004, 05:21 PM
Asiaoil

vCash: 500
Asking the Impossible?

So this is the deal - we have to walk into St. Louis (a place we rarely play well) and basically knock them out of the playoffs - then jump on a plane and travel to Dallas (a place we never do well) to play a hot team the next night and spoil their chances of getting home ice in the playoffs.

This is an almost impossible task folks - but this team has already accomplished the impossible to even get into this position. I'll sure be cheering for them but don't be too disappointed if the hoped for results are not there - this B2B is tough.

Old
03-29-2004, 05:27 PM
USC Trojans
AD

yes, it may be mission impossible
yes, we might be disappointed by the results
but we still believe...that's what counts.

I still think we can walk out of those two games with two or more points. That's not too far out of the question. Turco's suspended so I think we can do well against the Stars.

Old
03-29-2004, 05:28 PM
Slow Talking Walter

I BELIEVE!

Old
03-29-2004, 05:46 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
So this is the deal - we have to walk into St. Louis (a place we rarely play well) and basically knock them out of the playoffs - then jump on a plane and travel to Dallas (a place we never do well) to play a hot team the next night and spoil their chances of getting home ice in the playoffs.

This is an almost impossible task folks - but this team has already accomplished the impossible to even get into this position. I'll sure be cheering for them but don't be too disappointed if the hoped for results are not there - this B2B is tough.
St.Louis is playing their fourth game in 6 days, Dallas is without their most important player by far, and we've been playing some outstanding hockey. It's all a matter of how you spin it.

Old
03-29-2004, 06:00 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
St.Louis is playing their fourth game in 6 days, Dallas is without their most important player by far, and we've been playing some outstanding hockey. It's all a matter of how you spin it.
Hey I'll be cheering as loud as anyone - but this is killer after the road taken to just get here.

The positive spin in the room is this - win these 2 games and the players can pretty much relax (I doubt the last game in Vancouver will be a must-win if we pick up four points in St Louis and Dallas). So whatever's left in the tank - just spill it onto the ice over in the next 48 hours - no use saving anything now.

Old
03-29-2004, 06:22 PM
SerbianEagle

Luck owes us a game against St.Louis this year. Last time we totally outplayed them a got a draw, and it owes us one against Dallas too.

If we beat St.Louis, then they have to beat NAshville, making the job easier for the Oile.

Old
03-29-2004, 06:25 PM
Cowboy

Send a message via MSN to Cowboy Send a message via Yahoo to Cowboy
The St. Louis game is a must win.
There is a chance of beating Dallas, overtime the last 2 games after blown leads, plus no Turco.
Vancouver is definately beatable now.
Basically we have to win 2 games at least.
St Louis plays Nashville and in Detroit still, both tough games, and Minny, who is definately capable of playing good. Nasville plays in Coloradowhich they lose hopefully (which will take away the game in hand). They also play St louis, and the hawks twice who have been playing well and always play good against the preds. I htink 2 wins gets the oilers a birth, 3 wins may put them ahead of the flames, and if there were 6 or 7 games left, i think getting to the top of the division wouldn't be out of the question, no??

Old
03-29-2004, 06:28 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Maybe after months of being pessimistic, I'm now too optimistic, but I feel that things are not as dire as people say. I think if we steal four points on the trip (whether we win against St. Louis, or not), then I think the odds are in our favor to get a spot. I think the Preds will have a hard time getting 6 points in their four remaining games - with their last two coming against the Blues, and the Avs. Of course I would love to run the table, but I still think we have a great shot if we just get four points.

Old
03-29-2004, 06:54 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

If the Oil can battle back the way they have already, who am I to discount their capabilites now?

Old
03-29-2004, 07:20 PM
Matts

I don't know if Jussi gets the start in Dallas

but if he does I know he's played well there before. That will be one thing the Oilers have going for them that they didn't have last time when Tommy was doing his beached whale on the 4-3 goal by Boucher.

The next two games frighten the life out of me. Osgood is playing great and the Oilers can't win at Savvis. And then it's been Jan-97 since we've won in Dallas.

Old
03-29-2004, 07:25 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
but if he does I know he's played well there before. That will be one thing the Oilers have going for them that they didn't have last time when Tommy was doing his beached whale on the 4-3 goal by Boucher.

The next two games frighten the life out of me. Osgood is playing great and the Oilers can't win at Savvis. And then it's been Jan-97 since we've won in Dallas.
I actually think it's good in one way that the games are close - there is no tomorrow and losing is not an option. The Oilers have a way of rising to the occasion when needed - but also taking the night off if that's an option.

Agree on the goaltending too - when is the last time we could reasonably hope that our goalie could steal a point for us in Dallas?

Old
03-29-2004, 07:27 PM
Matts

That's true Asia

I just don't know if they can say grab 5 of the last 6 points and keep this run going.

I thought they were done after last Mon in Dal because they were completely outplayed and I was thinking something was gonna go wrong. Then they blew the lead vs Dal but then played a good 40 min vs the Kings

Last night they had to be grabbed kicking and screaming into that game.

The Oilers will be gassed on Wed and it could be a blowout but yes they should be raring to go tomorrow night given what the game means

Old
03-29-2004, 07:29 PM
Bohologo

This is a healthy dose of perspective. It's pretty optimistic to think the Oil will go 3-0 on the road and storm into the playoffs-it's what we're all hoping for, but let's be realistic too. I've got my rally cap on, but if they fall short, the team still has my support.

Old
03-29-2004, 07:43 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
I just don't know if they can say grab 5 of the last 6 points and keep this run going.

I thought they were done after last Mon in Dal because they were completely outplayed and I was thinking something was gonna go wrong. Then they blew the lead vs Dal but then played a good 40 min vs the Kings

Last night they had to be grabbed kicking and screaming into that game.

The Oilers will be gassed on Wed and it could be a blowout but yes they should be raring to go tomorrow night given what the game means
If they can get the win tomorrow - then I would trap like mad the whole night in Dallas and do anything possible to get into OT. Who cares if it's the most boring game the Oil have ever played - just get into OT and then roll the dice for 5 minutes. Probably the best you can do on a B2B against this level of opposition given how tired they must be.

Old
03-29-2004, 08:26 PM
Slow Talking Walter

Even though I was a sceptic a month or two ago, I BELIEVE that the Oil now have the ability to lay waste to anyone they face in these last three games. When I was doubtful earlier in the season when they needed a HUGE streak to get back into playoff contention, it was because I hadnt seen anything the team did up to that point to convince me a 16 point-earning streak was possible. Sorry for doubting you Oil, but I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT. Whatever needs to get done, I think they can and will do it.
We have a bad record in StLou? So what.
We havnt won in Dallas since 97? DONT CARE! I say we break thier home win streak record and shove it down thier throats.

Stop, breathe deep and repeat after me:
"I BELIEVE"

Old
03-29-2004, 08:35 PM
SerbianEagle

You know why I Believe now, even though I had thrown in the towel earlier on?

Because the players are confident. You don't hear them saying stuff like "Hopefull we'll get in". They are saying stuff like "We will make it", "We will be there".

They truly believe they can make it, and hell why fail now when they've busted their ***** off in the last month+.

Failure to them is not an option, and they have one goal.

Old
03-29-2004, 08:39 PM
The Rage

Here is how I break things down. Nashville will probably get 3 or four points from Chicago. They will probably get 0 or one point from St.Louis and Colorado. Other results are possible, but the above are the most probable ones. Thus, Nasville will probably end up with 88-90 points. This means that 91 points (4 points in their last three games) will almost assuredly get the Oilers in the playoffs, 90 points will most likely get the Oil in the playoffs, and 89 points might get the Oilers in the playoffs. To get 90 points, all we have to do is play .500 hockey. I don't think that is an impossibility. In fact, it's far from it. And people, don't underestimate Turco's importance to the Stars. Not only is he a great goalie, but his puckhandling is very important as well. I think few teams rely on a single player as much as the Stars rely on Turco. Also, don't forget that St.Louis is playing their fourth game in six nights tommorow. St.Louis is a team that heavily relies on a select group of players, and there is not alot of depth on that team. Their big guns will be very tired tommorow (especially Mr.Thirty Minutes a Night Chris Pronger).

Old
03-29-2004, 08:43 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
Luck owes us a game against St.Louis this year. Last time we totally outplayed them a got a draw, and it owes us one against Dallas too.

If we beat St.Louis, then they have to beat NAshville, making the job easier for the Oil.
Yeah, I kind of think the same way. They were so unlucky for a long while there it seemed ... just couldn't get the lucky or soft goal when they needed it. Seemed like the hockey gods had lost their love for them.

And recently they just can't go wrong. When they really need a goal they seem to get one to go through the goalie or bounce in off of a skate or something. Just three more games with a bit more puck-luck than they deserve and they are in. And even though I can see the sense in what AsiaOil is saying ... I just can't help but believe that the Oilers will make it happen.

Old
03-29-2004, 08:44 PM
Dangerdanger

Tugnutt has been playing pretty well, ill give him that, but there's no way that he can't be feeling starting 3 straight games, and he always was an inconsistent goalie if i remember correctly. Hopefully he'll be feeling it wednesday and the oil can come out strong and at least push the game into overtime. The question is, who do you start against st. louis? Conklin has been good lately, markkanen was very solid against st.louis last time, and conklin was pretty good against dallas last time. Tough call i'd say.

Old
03-29-2004, 09:55 PM
capebretonoilers

I have one idea for the back to backs .. Use the healthy scratches in game 1 for game 2.. That way you have at least a few pairs of fresh legs in the second game. Plus
the players who get in game two will be motivated in hopes they become "unscratchable" the rest of the way. Also , maybe scratch Laraque for the game vs Dallas and have a 7 dman rotation-- again the fatigue factor.. reduce the minutes of some of the dmen who will be fresh in ot-- where Brewer will score the OT winner--You heard it here first

Closed Thread