Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Victoria Salmon Kings ECHL

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2004, 06:40 PM
Harry

vCash: 500
Victoria Salmon Kings ECHL

We are looking forward to next years new club Victoria Salmon Kings. We have a new arena under construction but its behind schedule so dont know what will happen. Our coach is Bryan Maxwell. Thats it. Not aware of any NHL afficiations yet. But we are still happy to be in the league and getting some pro hockey finally.

Cheers

Old
03-30-2004, 02:46 AM
BCCHL inactive

Funny...I know a few people in Victoria, and they say the whole city is pissed off that they didn't get a WHL team, and that they could care less about the ECHL.

Old
03-30-2004, 09:24 AM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Funny...I know a few people in Victoria, and they say the whole city is pissed off that they didn't get a WHL team, and that they could care less about the ECHL.
Agreed.

Old
03-30-2004, 11:41 AM
Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveiglar
Agreed.
Well I will attend the games because its the only game in town. Certainly the WHL would be the first choice of everyone. A lot of us are not too sure about the hockey knowledge of the ownership etc and are kind of in a wait and see mode. Could be they were in a panic mode to get a tennant for the new arena because the WHL would not agree to an expansion team or franchise transfer until after the arena was built and without that guarentee the brass went elsewhere. I predict that the ECHL will last a couple of years, then fold due to expenses and the WHL will eventually get here.

Old
03-30-2004, 02:38 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry
Well I will attend the games because its the only game in town.
You do have the BCHL. The Salsa just moved into the brand new Bear Mountain Arena. Don't sell the BCHL short just because it is Junior A hockey. It is a very entertaining product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry
I predict that the ECHL will last a couple of years, then fold due to expenses and the WHL will eventually get here.
If by "eventually", you mean at least 7-10 years, I can go with that.

The WHL now has perfect alignment, and the league has no plans to expand anytime soon. The only hope for any non-WHL city to get a team, is relocation of another team. Relocation is possible with teams like Prince Albert, Moose Jaw and Swift Current, but they will consider markets in the WHL's Eastern Conference (Edmonton, Winnipeg, or maybe a city in Idaho, Montana or North Dakota) before coming west. The WHL doesn't want to have to move Kootenay back to the Central Division.

Old
03-30-2004, 04:36 PM
Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
You do have the BCHL. The Salsa just moved into the brand new Bear Mountain Arena. Don't sell the BCHL short just because it is Junior A hockey. It is a very entertaining product.

Yes I have been to a few Salsa games. But BCHL doesn't hold the interest that a pro team or the WHL would. We only go there because its all we have. Also I am very close to the new arena whereas Bear Mountain is a drive for me. Its a pretty nice rink though. The Salso should improve now that they finally have their own digs.

The WHL now has perfect alignment, and the league has no plans to expand anytime soon. The only hope for any non-WHL city to get a team, is relocation of another team. Relocation is possible with teams like Prince Albert, Moose Jaw and Swift Current, but they will consider markets in the WHL's Eastern Conference (Edmonton, Winnipeg, or maybe a city in Idaho, Montana or North Dakota) before coming west. The WHL doesn't want to have to move Kootenay back to the Central Division.

Old
03-30-2004, 04:37 PM
Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van

Yes I have been to a few Salsa games. But BCHL doesn't hold the interest that a pro team or the WHL would. We only go there because its all we have. Also I am very close to the new arena whereas Bear Mountain is a drive for me. Its a pretty nice rink though. The Salso should improve now that they finally have their own digs.

The WHL wont even discuss a frinchise until you have and arena completed and ownership in place.

Old
04-03-2004, 02:58 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Good luck with the franchise. I was visiting family in early February and was glad there was a picture on the fence to tell me that the big hole in the ground was to be a future arena.

ECHL now officially will be on the west coast...long road trips for most teams, rather unusual move for a semi-semi-pro league.

Old
04-03-2004, 03:53 PM
Holly Gunning

I guess San Diego and Long Beach have moved off the west coast since I was last there then. Not to mention Bakersfield, Las Vegas, Anchorage, Fresno and Boise.

Old
04-04-2004, 05:00 PM
Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyG
I guess San Diego and Long Beach have moved off the west coast since I was last there then. Not to mention Bakersfield, Las Vegas, Anchorage, Fresno and Boise.
Last I heard the season tickets were going pretty well. somewhere around 2 or 3 thousand and we dont even have any players yet, just a coach. the new arena will not be ready till Nov 15 so the club will have to open with a nice road trip.

Old
04-07-2004, 05:05 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van

I'm still hearing rumours of Tri-Cities moving to Edmonton very very soon... as in for next season. The denials from Tri-Cities are to be expected considering the team is trying to sell playoff tickets and not piss off their fans.

There definitely is the fan base in Edmonton and I'm sure they could find an arena somewhere in town next year that might not be in use much... .

Old
04-14-2004, 05:05 AM
Katbird_27

Send a message via ICQ to Katbird_27 Send a message via AIM to Katbird_27 Send a message via Yahoo to Katbird_27
I cannot see the tri-cities rumor as happening as the ownership group is LOCAL and they want the team to work. they knew going into it that it would take more than one year to fix the problems that prior owners caused. I see my own seattle thunderbirds leaving first (and they also have local ownership now too)

as for the new victoria team, I don't know if it will be enough to make it profitable but there will be A LOT of people coming up from the Seattle/Tacoma area to see them play, as Victoria is a lot closer than Boise. too bad the old WCHL allowed an owner to own 2 teams or else tacoma would have a team in the ECHL now too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
I'm still hearing rumours of Tri-Cities moving to Edmonton very very soon... as in for next season. The denials from Tri-Cities are to be expected considering the team is trying to sell playoff tickets and not piss off their fans.

There definitely is the fan base in Edmonton and I'm sure they could find an arena somewhere in town next year that might not be in use much... .

Old
04-14-2004, 12:50 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katbird_27
I cannot see the tri-cities rumor as happening as the ownership group is LOCAL and they want the team to work. they knew going into it that it would take more than one year to fix the problems that prior owners caused. I see my own seattle thunderbirds leaving first (and they also have local ownership now too).
I thought two of the owners of Tri-Cities were Glen Sather and Brian Burke? Not what I would call local ownership.

Old
04-15-2004, 03:21 AM
Katbird_27

Send a message via ICQ to Katbird_27 Send a message via AIM to Katbird_27 Send a message via Yahoo to Katbird_27
they are only two of a group of owners. I have been told that some former players who settled in the area are also in the group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
I thought two of the owners of Tri-Cities were Glen Sather and Brian Burke? Not what I would call local ownership.

Old
04-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van

If I lived in Victoria and these fans didn't want to support the ECHL team because they were bent about not getting a WHL team... well I wouldn't want them supporting the WHL team anyway. That's a pretty ridiculous mindset anyway and they shouldn't sell the ECHL short. It's more entertaining than people probably realize and the product has only gotten better since I started following it 4 years ago.

Old
04-17-2004, 04:50 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007
If I lived in Victoria and these fans didn't want to support the ECHL team because they were bent about not getting a WHL team... well I wouldn't want them supporting the WHL team anyway. That's a pretty ridiculous mindset anyway and they shouldn't sell the ECHL short. It's more entertaining than people probably realize and the product has only gotten better since I started following it 4 years ago.
The thing with Victoria is that they were victim of the worst WHL owner imaginable. After his mis-managment resulted in fans abandoning the team, he moved it to Prince George, where we are seeing the same slow diminishing attendance due to this joke's inability to run a team that is not his own family show.

Since the Cougars left Victoria in 1994, the city has been starving for WHL hockey, and instead they get the ECHL....a league where 20 year-old WHL cuts can get jobs.

Old
04-18-2004, 03:51 PM
Harry

Quote:
well as I said earlier, the season ticket sales are going well and they already have a downtown office and sell the usual shirts, hats etc etc. They will be ok at first because of the novelty of a new team and a new arena. We will see how long the good fan base lasts over the years. They should support it but most people are more interested in major junior . The like to see the top prospects etc.

Old
04-19-2004, 12:16 AM
Katbird_27

Quote:
i agree but it is the canadian mindset. they tend to belittle the hockey that they don't know about. I'm sure once they see the ECHL they will see it for what it is good hockey.

Old
04-20-2004, 03:08 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
i agree but it is the canadian mindset. they tend to belittle the hockey that they don't know about. I'm sure once they see the ECHL they will see it for what it is good hockey.
It's not that we don't know about it. Honestly, can you blame Victoria fans for wanting the WHL back? Not only did the Cougars owner screw them out of a team by his lack of hockey ownership skills, the WHL is better hockey. 20 year-old WHL cuts get ECHL jobs. That speaks for itself.

Old
04-20-2004, 03:20 AM
Katbird_27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
It's not that we don't know about it. Honestly, can you blame Victoria fans for wanting the WHL back? Not only did the Cougars owner screw them out of a team by his lack of hockey ownership skills, the WHL is better hockey. 20 year-old WHL cuts get ECHL jobs. That speaks for itself.
I didn't say that the WHL wasn't better. I said it was good hockey. sounds like victoria had got screwed over like tacoma did. At least you are getting the ECHL where they are trying to get somewhere rather than the WCHL Which you originally were going to get where the players either had been there or were never going to get there. you would be surprised at how many Sabrecat fans refused to go to seattle because "they are just kids" and said the Sabrecats were better hockey (THEY WERE WRONG!)

Old
05-12-2004, 01:24 PM
Harry

Quote:
I didn't say that the WHL wasn't better. I said it was good hockey. sounds like victoria had got screwed over like tacoma did. At least you are getting the ECHL where they are trying to get somewhere rather than the WCHL Which you originally were going to get where the players either had been there or were never going to get there. you would be surprised at how many Sabrecat fans refused to go to seattle because "they are just kids" and said the Sabrecats were better hockey (THEY WERE WRONG!)
Dont get the idea that we dont want the ECHL. We do. Ticket sales are going great for a team with no players and no rink yet. It will be supported and will be given a chance to win over the fans. We'll see what happens. Who knows how the owners will turn out etc etc., but for now we are behind the team.

Old
06-28-2004, 09:53 PM
ToNedOuT

The only complaint I have about the team is about the name and logo. I don't know one person who will rock a Salmon King jersey. It's a cartoon fish with a crown, ANYTHING else would have been better. But regardless of the logo I'll go watch the games. I know quite a few people that have purchased club seats and season tickets. Should be quite entertaining.

Old
06-29-2004, 02:41 PM
spamojones

One of my fondest memories in hockey is from 1994 on my birthday when I saw the Victoria Cougars play the Portland Winter Hawks, in Memorial Arena. I was sad to see the Cougars leave.

Whoever said don't sell the Victoria Salsa out is right. It is exciting hockey, as these kids DO have something to play for; college scholarships. Kyle Greentree was the ONLY player to put up more points than this year's 20th overall pick in the entry draft, Mr. Travis Zajac. Greentree was a blast to watch. Now, he's headed off to Alaska-Fairbanks to play college hockey. Even on their worst nights, the Salsa played entertaining hockey. Bear Mountain Arena is beautiful, and the atmosphere is pretty spectacular too (at least at the end of the season!).

I found that as soon as people found out that we were getting a new semi-pro team, they jumped on the bandwagon without even really knowing what it is they were jumping on to. A LOT of people got season tickets based on the hype. It'll be interesting to see how much of a fan base the Salsa lose this upcoming season.

My bet: they won't lose a lot. With the Salmon Kings not playing their home opener in Save On Foods Arena/Centre til at least November, the fan base will stray, much like the Salsa's did waiting for Bear Mountain to open (JDF only held 1000 max in the bleachers, but I don't think they averaged more than 600-700/game when they played there).
I haven't heard ANYTHING about the team since they announced their cheezy name and logo, and the website doesn't help much either.

Personally, I'd rather have the WHL here. More exciting hockey with more on the line.

Old
07-10-2004, 11:14 PM
Street Hawk

Expectations..

Quote:
You have to give Victoria fans a break here. They know what the WHL is all about, but know very very little about the ECHL. Just that it is a tier lower than the AHL, which is the top farm team, so generally, the ECHL is the place where late rounders get sent if they don't adjust to the AHL game very quickly. So for most people, the guys they are watching aren't going to be making it big in the NHL. They'll be primarily 4th liners, maybe 3rd liners.

As for the WHL, it's a chance to support the big time up and comers. Where they would see a Gilbert Brule of the Giants come play or Dion Phaneuf, guys that are headed to the NHL as likely vital cogs in their games.

Personally, I hope that if Victoria ever does get a WHL team, it will be through expansion. The Prairies deserve to have Major Junior A hockey and it would be a shame to see the Raiders, Warriors, Broncos move out.

Also, I hope one day, the WHL will cut down on the travel for these kids and perhaps split into a 10 - 12 team BC / US league and a 10 - 12 team Alberta/Sask/Manitoba league. But, that would take time and likely a reduction in schedule, not to mention a rule change in the NCAA that would allow players who play in the CHL to one day receive College Scholarships.

Last edited by Street Hawk: 07-10-2004 at 11:22 PM.
Old
07-11-2004, 12:40 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk
not to mention a rule change in the NCAA that would allow players who play in the CHL to one day receive College Scholarships.
That will never happen as long as CHL teams keep paying their players. The CHL is technically a semi-pro league under NCAA regulations, and they only give scholarships to amateur players.

Closed Thread