HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Rate my chances

Old
08-17-2009, 10:29 AM
me like hockey

vCash: 500
Rate my chances

I'm 2 months from turning 20. I am 6'4 190 lbs. For cardio I run 3 miles a day. For upper body I do a home made concoction of workouts for 30 to 45 min. I also stretch for 15 min before and after.

The question now is, what are my chances of playing college hockey in Tennessee having just started in January?

me like hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Saved*

What does your workout routine and whether you stretch or not have to do with whether you have the skill set to play College hockey? No matter how 'in shape' you are, nothing will substitute from actually having hockey sense and an acute ability to play the game at an extremely high level.

If it's a clown college, you may get by, but having just started in January, I'd be betting my dollar that your chances aren't even equal to, or greater than 0%.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 11:33 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

if you're talking playing college hockey this year, then not so good. If you're talking maybe in two or three years, then maybe like 5%

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 11:38 AM
me like hockey

Well it is at MTSU. Pretty crappy school that only has a club team.

Old
08-17-2009, 12:00 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by me like hockey View Post
I'm 2 months from turning 20. I am 6'4 190 lbs. For cardio I run 3 miles a day. For upper body I do a home made concoction of workouts for 30 to 45 min. I also stretch for 15 min before and after.

The question now is, what are my chances of playing college hockey in Tennessee having just started in January?
How competitive is their hockey program? If it's just intramural you might have a shot. Anything more competitive I have to say you have little to no chance. I've been playing for about 6 years now (turning 40) and I don't think I have what it would take to make it into a competitive hockey program. Most of those kids have been playing for years and have had time to work out the kinks in their mental game and gain the specific conditioning they need.

Don't let that discourage you, though. If you can't play for your college team there should be recreational leagues you can play in. It's a great sport to play but to compete at the collegiate level you really need to have put in your time.

If you're committed to improving your game I'd recommend four points to help you progress more quickly:

1. Personal instruction -- Have somebody coach you in skating and positional play. Without directed practice it could take you 3x as long to develop. As the saying goes, "Perfect practice makes perfect."
2. Read everything you can about hockey -- about hockey training, hockey strategy, hockey history. Make hockey your passion -- it helps to keep you motivated. Also, it helps to see how the pros approach the game -- it will help if you think the game like a pro.
3. Play! Try to play 2-3 games a week if your schedule permits. The more you play the better the practice you'll get. Also try to work on one facet of your game each time you're out on the ice whether it's passing, positioning, shooting or whatever.
4. Focus on your skating -- Some players shoot 100+ pucks per day to perfect their shot and that is important. But don't neglect your skating. Work on finding your balance, your crossovers -- left and right, and backwards left and right. Stopping, quick starting. The easier it is for you to get around on the ice the more you'll be involved in the play (and not left behind).

That's all very vague so feel free to ask questions if you have any.

Last edited by EmptyNetter: 08-17-2009 at 12:35 PM.
EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 12:16 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rented Mule View Post
What does your workout routine and whether you stretch or not have to do with whether you have the skill set to play College hockey? No matter how 'in shape' you are, nothing will substitute from actually having hockey sense and an acute ability to play the game at an extremely high level.

If it's a clown college, you may get by, but having just started in January, I'd be betting my dollar that your chances aren't even equal to, or greater than 0%.
Do you have any interest in being a less abrasive human being? There are probably people who could help you if you ask for help.

Old
08-17-2009, 12:21 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I play DIII and I've been skating for about 17 years and playing organized hockey for about 14. I'm 22. Unless this school runs their club team differently than most schools I'm aware of, you will make the team as a walk on no matter how awful you are. Whether or not you ever get any ice-time in a game will be a completely different matter, but with 6 months of hockey experience, I doubt you can have refined your skating, hockey sense or ability to make plays with your head up and read the ice to the point that you can really be prepared for the competition that comes even in club hockey. I mean, have you ever been hit? Even in club hockey you will get your socks knocked off if you've never played in a hitting league before.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 12:33 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
I have been playing junior c for one of the best clubs in Ontario which has produced NHL and OHL talents, and skate with some pros during the summer, and i can't find any colleges to play for... so do the math.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 12:41 PM
FLYLine24*

Zero.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 12:48 PM
me like hockey

Quote:
Kovalchkin71 -

I play DIII and I've been skating for about 17 years and playing organized hockey for about 14. I'm 22. Unless this school runs their club team differently than most schools I'm aware of, you will make the team as a walk on no matter how awful you are. Whether or not you ever get any ice-time in a game will be a completely different matter, but with 6 months of hockey experience, I doubt you can have refined your skating, hockey sense or ability to make plays with your head up and read the ice to the point that you can really be prepared for the competition that comes even in club hockey. I mean, have you ever been hit? Even in club hockey you will get your socks knocked off if you've never played in a hitting league before.
I would like to think I could get on and just practice with them regarless of how much actual ice time I get. It's not a question of how hard I am willing to work, just of how hard they need me to work. Without a hint of pride I can say that I am about as athletic of a person as you can find. I'd also like to think I pick things up pretty quick. My ultimate goal is playing for them eventually, but even if I end up just practicing and having a good time in a competitive rec league I would be satisfied. As for hitting, I played rugby for two years and boxed on and off for two. Also played catcher in high school. I think I'll be fine.

Old
08-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Saved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
Do you have any interest in being a less abrasive human being? There are probably people who could help you if you ask for help.
If people can't hear the truth, they can go do something to themselves. What they do, I don't care, but I just state facts.

Old
08-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Saved*

You look at hockey and think, hey, I can do this. But when you're on the ice playing with great players, you'll find you cannot do what you originally thought. If you think you're good enough, then just delete this thread and go and have fun, but the moment you ask for peoples opinion, don't jump down their throats when they give you it.

Old
08-17-2009, 12:54 PM
me like hockey

Quote:
Rented Mule -

You look at hockey and think, hey, I can do this. But when you're on the ice playing with great players, you'll find you cannot do what you originally thought. If you think you're good enough, then just delete this thread and go and have fun, but the moment you ask for peoples opinion, don't jump down their throats when they give you it.
I never complained about any of it. I was looking for the truth or I'd have asked my mom lol. Thanks for the honest response.

Old
08-17-2009, 12:59 PM
IniNew

Judging by your second post, you've already made up your mind.

I don't have any experience with Rugby, but with my experience in other sports I can honestly tell you that hockey is the hardest thing to just jump into and play. You don't just play one position with a set hierarchy of things to do. You play everywhere and have to know what to do all over the ice. The physical part of the game is the easiest part to pick up. It's the hockey plays, thinking, vision that take years to mold.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 01:04 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Well it is at MTSU. Pretty crappy school that only has a club team.
Even MTSU, which does have a crappy team, the players they have are players who have been some of the best high school players in their respective areas. Doubtful you can get to that level when you just started hockey a few months ago. You could always ask if they will let you pratice with them. At the very LEAST though you should be a intermediate skater or they will just run you over and it won't be fun for you or them. Good luck though.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Nbr-17

FWIW the biggest thing in hockey is skating. You can be the most fit guy on the ice and still be the slowest if you don't have proper skating technique. Quick stops & starts, pivoting, tight turns require years of skating experience. Not something you pick up in 6 months and even harder the later in life you start. You can always tell if somebody started playing hockey later in life just by watching them skate.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 01:45 PM
noobman

In all honesty... I don't think so.

I mean I haven't seen you play or anything, but if you've only been playing for six months then you just don't have the experience for it.

I've considered trying out for the hockey team at my school. I'm in Ontario, Canada... so we're part of the OUA. Actually, we're one of the worst schools in the OUA

A large batch of our players are over-age recruits from Junior A. I believe our captain peaked at a six goal season in the OHL. I went to an open ice session and *watched* these guys skate around the ice two years ago. You may think you're good, but you're nowhere near as good as these guys. As of right now I could only make that team as a walk-on hack playing 0-2 minutes per game... and that's after five years of playing hockey year-round (one year off to take care of some medical issues) PLUS going to a few powerskating schools and spending countless hours doing research on hockey smarts and skating technique. If *you* put this much time and effort into your game you could probably be a solid 10 minute per game player. I'd be willing to bet that you're a much better athlete than I am.

What you need to do is have yourself filmed on ice and watch the replay. You'll quickly discover that you're a lot slower than you think you are. I'd be willing to say that we're as bad, if not worse than any Division III team in the NCAA.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 01:52 PM
eric71*

Let me tell you this. Im 16, and my results on NFL combine tests are only slightly lower than those who accually go to the combine to get drafted.

I play AA hockey and I was a 2nd string cornerback for my Highschool football team last year.

A.K.A No future in sports.

Its all about the brain and heart; not the biceps, quads and chest.

eric71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 03:06 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rented Mule View Post
If people can't hear the truth, they can go do something to themselves. What they do, I don't care, but I just state facts.
I'm just saying don't make fun of clown college. I got a solid education there. Damn good hockey team, too. *honk*

Last edited by EmptyNetter: 08-17-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old
08-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

If it's D1 Club 0%, D2 Club 0% D3 Club 5%.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 03:57 PM
stick9

Quote:
I would like to think I could get on and just practice with them regarless of how much actual ice time I get. It's not a question of how hard I am willing to work, just of how hard they need me to work. Without a hint of pride I can say that I am about as athletic of a person as you can find. I'd also like to think I pick things up pretty quick. My ultimate goal is playing for them eventually, but even if I end up just practicing and having a good time in a competitive rec league I would be satisfied. As for hitting, I played rugby for two years and boxed on and off for two. Also played catcher in high school. I think I'll be fine.
I think you're gonna be surprised.

Full contact hockey is no place for beginners, period. I also think it's a bit naive to think you can just pick it up and play at a level most life long players dream of.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 04:37 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
I'm not questioning your toughness or athleticism, but until you get crushed on the ice, you won't have any idea what you're really talking about, in terms of the physical side. When you are going at full stride, glance to your side to catch a pass, look back up and have a dude literally 4 feet in front of you, while you're doing 25mph there is no amount of toughness or athleticism that's going to help you dangle around that hit - you either have the hockey skill or you don't. It truly is one of the fastest games in the world and to play it at a high level requires a degree of fluency - you have to feel at home in your skates, with a puck on your stick - that a relative few compared to the masses ever achieve. Beyond that, the being able to stick handle, maintain your balance and keep your head up to make smart shots, passes, dumps, etc. is a lot more difficult when there's a body on you, even if you can handle all the punishment they can dish out.

Like I said, I don't question your athleticism or toughness - you sound like you're in good shape - but how many times in your life have you shot a puck on ice? How's your backhand? Can you receive passes forehand and backhand? How do you do when the puck is caught in your skates? Can you keep your head up while carrying the puck? You may be answering yes to most of these, but the trick isn't being able to do them individually, it's being able to put it all together, at high speed, against experienced competition while taking into consideration the skating and the physical aspects of the game. I have no doubt you'll be able to practice with the team, learn a lot, and have a great time. In fact, I would bet money that from the start of the season to the end, even if you didn't play in one game, you will improve drastically just from practicing with the team, and that's reason enough to play. I just would not expect to be able to really compete at the level your aiming for with so little experience on the ice, in spite of your natural athleticism and experience with other physical sports. It's not about how hard you're going to get hit - it's about how and when you're going to be hit, while you're on ice skates.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 06:10 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Honestly?

None.

Athleticsim has nothing to do with it. You can run. Awesome. You do a workout. Great. Are they sport specific? Probably not. Does it help your backhand? No. Does it help your transition game? No. Does it help your one ice awareness? No.

There is a difference between being "the most athletic person you know" and a college hockey player. My baby brother is "an athletic person" and is going to a school on another athletic scholorship. For "***** and giggles" he went to the college club tryout and lasted through the practice. And that was it. He played AAA hockey up until his last year Bantam when he switched to another sport.
He said that it was like playing the game on fastforward and he was going at regular speed. Everything was THAT much faster.

And this is coming from a kid who plays other things at a college level. While the athleticism may span over more than one sport, the specific skills do not.

08-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
I have been playing junior c for one of the best clubs in Ontario which has produced NHL and OHL talents, and skate with some pros during the summer, and i can't find any colleges to play for... so do the math.
no colleges at the d3 level will look at a jr c player.......you have to have played junior A somewhere for a d3 team to even consider you....even some of the better club teams have guys who were junior A players on them.....it is very, very rare for a kid from junior c to make the leap to college....

As for playing club hockey...depends on the calibre, i know some guys who were AAA players their whole life who play club and not on strong teams...

Superfly Jimmy Snuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 06:37 PM
PDX Coyotes

Am I the only one who thinks this is a troll thread?

PDX Coyotes is offline   Reply With Quote