HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Player Inquiry Thread (ALL other player-related threads will be deleted)

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2009, 06:16 PM
yakko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Is it safe to say that Sauer is not coming back this season?
Rumor has it he will be back after the all-star break.

Quote:
If so I hate to have another buy out on the cap hit.
Yeah, with the way the Coyotes are pushing up against the cap, they'd better get him off of there.

What are you talking about?

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I wish Kurt well but we also want to move forward as a team and business without anymore problems as it is.
If Kurt Sauer remaining time here is going to be a millionaire cheerleader on payroll then maybe the team needs to part ways with him.
Do hockey teams not take out insurance policies on players against long term injury? I thought that was the norm in major league professional sports.

Old
12-29-2009, 06:31 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
Rumor has it he will be back after the all-star break.

Yeah, with the way the Coyotes are pushing up against the cap, they'd better get him off of there.

What are you talking about?

Do hockey teams not take out insurance policies on players against long term injury? I thought that was the norm in major league professional sports.

Like you said, a rumor! Also Kurt says something different than what the docs say.
We were 1st told he wasn't going to be out long and now were about 1/2 through the season. Until I read something solid that he will be back playing at some point there is that possibility he may never play again giving the fact that he has an injury that is common with cutting ones career short.

Also there's no all-star game so I presume you mean olympic break?

Yes we have a lot of cap space and I rather we have it clear of buyouts and to use it to pay for players who can and will play only.

I've never heard of insurance for such a thing I have known in the past that the teams must pay out of their own pocket for a buyout.

Ill stand corrected if I'm wrong on anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
12-29-2009, 06:42 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Like you said, a rumor! Also Kurt says something different than what the docs say.
We were 1st told he wasn't going to be out long and now were about 1/2 through the season. Until I read something solid that he will be back playing at some point there is that possibility he may never play again giving the fact that he has an injury that is common with cutting ones career short.
I've never really heard of a player having whiplash. Is there evidence that it cuts careers short?

Quote:
Also there's no all-star game so I presume you mean olympic break?
Yes.

Quote:
Yes we have a lot of cap space and I rather we have it clear of buyouts and to use it to pay for players who can and will play only.
Then best to put off that decision with Sauer until you know what you have.

Quote:
I've never heard of insurance for such a thing I have known in the past that the teams must pay out of their own pocket for a buyout.
Teams pay out of their own pocket for a buy out. Most teams in other leagues have insurance on injuries. I actually don't know about the NHL. I would assume so, but then again the NHL is quirky about a lot of other things too.

Old
12-29-2009, 07:27 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

NHL has insurance for extended/career ending player injuries. I don't recall all the exact details, but there's a league-wide insurance policy that covers up to a certain number of players, amounts and contract lengths. Teams could also choose to buy additional insurance for players not covered by the league umbrella policy.

Old
12-29-2009, 07:33 PM
yakko

This is interesting.

NHL Insurance Plan Covers Player Contracts For Seven Years

The NHL is wacky.

Old
01-13-2010, 02:08 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Can someone tell me what they expect the lines to look like tomorrow night?

Old
01-13-2010, 02:50 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
Can someone tell me what they expect the lines to look like tomorrow night?
I don't know that anyone can. They actually changed to start and during the game against San Jose. It is hard to tell what Tippett may decide to do based on the team's recent performance.

Old
01-21-2010, 12:34 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Brett MacLean

30 points in 40 games and the leading scorer in his AHL team

I'd like to know what you guys make of his future? What is his upside? Whats going to happen to him next season? Updates, etc

Thanks

Old
01-21-2010, 11:22 AM
CitizenCoyote

It seemed to me, without looking at any stats, that Shane Doan ending his goal scoring drought seems to have coincided with the team's slight dip. I thought it would be interesting to see how the team does when he scores. Interesting stuff -- we're 7-6-1 when Doan scores a goal, which is worse than I would have expected. Conversely, we are 10-3-0 when he has an assist. Not sure what it means. It's a very small sample size.

It probably means nothing -- we're also 8-6 when Vrbata scores. But I do think it's interesting that when Doan tallies an assist, we tend to win.

Old
01-21-2010, 03:03 PM

I like to compare the points per game in wins vs. losses for players.

It's interesting yet not surprising to see when we get secondary scoring from guys like Fiddler and Yandle we are much more successful.

There is a middle of the pack trend for guys like Hanzal, Vandermeer, Schlemko, Doan, Boedker, Upshall, Vrbata, Michalek, Mueller, Aucoin, Prucha that are pretty similar variance between wins and losses with offensive production.

What is troublesome is the grouping of players where they score nearly as much in wins as losses. Jovo leads the way here, and that includes guys like Pyatt and Lombardi. You could spin this as saying those players are consistent if they produce the same in wins and losses, but I don't think that's the right take.

In goaltending wins and losses are always night and day.

Bryz allows 1.7 GAA less and saves 6% more in wins.
Barbs allows 1.9 GAA less and saves 7% more in wins.

That's one of the interesting stats to me because I think you can see some consistency in a goaltenders play. I don't think that most people who be surprised to think Barbs is less consistent than Bryz, although their roles are very different.

Fortunately we don't have anyone that outperforms when the team loses. That's a red flag to me, similar to what Jovo is at being equal in win/loss.

Old
01-27-2010, 06:56 PM
c4rdsh4rk

Kyle Turris

what do you people think of Kyle Turris and his future as an NHLer? seems like he needs more time, than originally thought by most people, to work on his potential as a pro. he's still very young but doesnt seem to be producing big numbers yet as a pro (i havent actually watched him to see how he's really playing).

Old
01-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Alamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay View Post
what do you people think of Kyle Turris and his future as an NHLer? seems like he needs more time, than originally thought by most people, to work on his potential as a pro. he's still very young but doesnt seem to be producing big numbers yet as a pro (i havent actually watched him to see how he's really playing).
I see him progressing like Bobby Ryan. It'll take some time but as long as he isn't rushed, he will be a star in the league.

Old
01-27-2010, 07:10 PM
hbk

Quote:
we seem to get this question weekly. I'm wondering if we need to create our own sticky thread on the subject at this point.

Turris has had some issues that have limited his ability to add the size and strength required to play at an NHL level considering the style of game that he plays. Phoenix management is willing to be patient with Turris and based on the recent reports we've received from people who are watching the AHL games he's improving. Nobody is willing to pull the panic cord on Turris. He's not going to get moved period.

Old
01-27-2010, 07:17 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
You People? What do you mean by YOU PEOPLE?!?!?

Old
01-27-2010, 07:20 PM
crazyhockeylover96

Old
01-27-2010, 08:00 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Ah, good clean fun. I little on the witty side, though. People can be intimidated by superior intelligence, vijay. Remember that, and you will go far in this world.

Old
01-27-2010, 08:28 PM
c4rdsh4rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Ah, good clean fun. I little on the witty side, though. People can be intimidated by superior intelligence, vijay. Remember that, and you will go far in this world.
unfortunately i was a stoner in my early adolescent years so my memory is not so much...

Old
01-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

What would you offer for Prospal? Very cheap, UFA.

Old
01-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Coyote_Fan

3rd round pick

Old
01-28-2010, 02:24 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
What would you offer for Prospal? Very cheap, UFA.
Do the Rangers really want to shop Prospal? I don't watch the team, so I might be misled by the media and my fantasy team stats, but he seems like one of their few consistent players. Much like I say of Phoenix players at times, I think Prospal is actually worth more to the Rangers right now than he is in a trade.

Old
02-04-2010, 11:41 PM
braino

Oliver Ekman-Larsson question

I am trying to get a read on how offensive he will be in the NHL? Is he a future Lidstrom or just a defensive dman?

BRAINO

Old
02-05-2010, 08:52 PM
wilfred

Zbynek Michalek

I was wondering how he has been playing and what do you think he will sign for a contract next year. We are enjoying his brother in ottawa this year and the rumor is they would like to play together next year.

Old
02-05-2010, 11:34 PM
starman
we're here to stay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
I was wondering how he has been playing and what do you think he will sign for a contract next year. We are enjoying his brother in ottawa this year and the rumor is they would like to play together next year.
He has been playing really well....he's a mainstay of the Coyotes defense and they will do everything possible to get him signed. He has indicated in the past that he wants to resign with Phoenix and most of us would be extremely surprised if he doesn't get a multi-year contract. If the two brothers are really looking at playing together next season it's more likely to be in Phoenix than Ottawa, although it would surprise me if it happens. I'm pretty sure that most Coyotes fans would welcome Milan joining the team though, as long as what we would have to give up in a trade wouldn't be any major pieces of our future. As far as what Z will sign for, I suspect a 4-6 year contract for around 2.5 to 3.5 Million per year.

Old
02-06-2010, 02:18 AM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

I'd give a first and Tikhonov for Milan. That would/should be enough IMO. I doubt it would happen since OTT is doing well and completely on fire. Maybe in the offseason? Not sure but it's possible. Maybe go after Plekanec at the Deadline and we could have a nice mixture of Czechs on this team lol. Wouldnt mind giving a 2nd + for Prospal either.
Prospal Plek Milan
Vrby Hanzal Pruchs
Doan Lombo Muells
Lauri Fidds Winnik

Note this is completely hypothetical and its just me dreaming so yea....lol

Old
02-23-2010, 02:10 AM
Shamrocks

Send a message via AIM to Shamrocks
Martin Hanzal

So what are the expectations for this young guy? Will he ever put up big decent numbers (scoring) or is he more a shutdown defensive forward?

Closed Thread