HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player Inquiry Thread (ALL other player-related threads will be deleted)

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2009, 09:41 PM
PhoPhan

vCash: 500
I'd guess -- and hope -- Vandermeer sits for Sauer. It's not that he's been especially bad. It's just that with Sauer coming in to play 20 minutes for a team that's already offensively starved, there's no one else I would be comfortable sitting.

Old
10-18-2009, 10:16 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Right now I kind of see the depth chart looking something like this based on my opinion of the players impact thus far into the season.

Michalek
Jovo
Aucoin
Vandemeer
Lepisto
Yandle

Aucoin and Vandemeer have shown good chemistry together. I'm not sure I really want to break that up, but Sauer would bring more defensively, but less of a transition game. Lepisto and Yandle have shown a bit chemistry as well, but it makes me nervous anytime those two get out there with some bigger bodies. In no way do I want Yandle to sit but if Sauer was healthy I would probably roll these defensive pairings.

Jovo-Michalek
Vandemeer-Aucoin
Sauer-Lepisto

You really could just throw Yandle in for Lepisto's spot. I have faith in the coaching staff to make the best decision. Weird having such confidence...

Old
10-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Craig Weller now in Boston

http://www.nesn.com/2009/10/bruins-t...ig-weller.html
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
10-18-2009, 11:26 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
So who sits when Sauer comes back?
Probably Lepisto. Vandermeer and Jovanovski are really the only two physical defensemen on the team. Maybe sit Vandermeer on nights when Bissonnette plays? Then, sit Lepisto when Korpikoski plays. That way we've always got an element of size and toughness without giving away too much in terms of speed and skill.

Obviously I want Sauer back, but I sure hope he doesn't rush it. This question will take a few more games to find an answer for. Yandle really stepped it up. Lepisto has not let off the gas, though. It's a good problem to have.

Old
10-18-2009, 11:29 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Here we go again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Probably Lepisto. Vandermeer and Jovanovski are really the only two physical defensemen on the team. Maybe sit Vandermeer on nights when Bissonnette plays? Then, sit Lepisto when Korpikoski plays. That way we've always got an element of size and toughness without giving away too much in terms of speed and skill.

Obviously I want Sauer back, but I sure hope he doesn't rush it. This question will take a few more games to find an answer for. Yandle really stepped it up. Lepisto has not let off the gas, though. It's a good problem to have.
Given the teams record currently I would definitely not rush Sauer. Use him as reinforcements when the team is struggling. A steadying/calming influence to be brought back into the fold after a few tough losses.

Old
10-18-2009, 11:34 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Given the teams record currently I would definitely not rush Sauer. Use him as reinforcements when the team is struggling. A steadying/calming influence to be brought back into the fold after a few tough losses.
I think he's an upgrade on Vandermeer, at least. Probably Lepisto, too. Sami has been great, but it's only been a handful of games. Generally consistancy is what the younger guys struggle with the most.

Old
10-19-2009, 03:55 PM
John Druce
Flynt Flossy

What's up with Peter Mueller?

Seriously, this guy played only 5 minutes last game. Was he benched or injured?

On top of that, his PPG are abysmal. I have seen on highlights that he has had at least some PP time. But seriously, What is up with Peter Mueller. I have always envisioned him as the future of the Coyotes and I have not had the privledge of watching any full Coyotes games this year.

Input much appreciated

Old
10-19-2009, 04:34 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Druce View Post

On top of that, his PPG are abysmal. I have seen on highlights that he has had at least some PP time. But seriously, What is up with Peter Mueller. I have always envisioned him as the future of the Coyotes and I have not had the privledge of watching any full Coyotes games this year.

Input much appreciated
He is the one and only player on the entire team that doesn't put forth a consistant effort. He's improved a little. Not enough. We're only seven games in, so he's still got a ton of time to get his ass in gear. If we're still talking about how much he sticks out like a sore thumb around the fourty or fifty game mark, I wouldn't mind seeing him shopped. This team has a clear identity. Mueller, so far in his career, does not fit in with that identity. We're obviously looking for smart, hard working, responsible, two-way players who can skate. He's none of those things. Not yet, anyway. It's not time to give up on him right now, but if he can't get with the program sometime in the near future, I don't really want him around anymore. We all know he has a ton of talent, but he doesn't have nearly enough talent to just float around and still be worth his roster spot.

Old
10-19-2009, 05:42 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Mueller, so far in his career, does not fit in with that identity. We're obviously looking for smart, hard working, responsible, two-way players who can skate. He's none of those things. Not yet, anyway.
He's some of those things. He can't skate and he's not the hardest worker on the ice (though given how much he bulked up last year, I would have a hard time calling him lazy in general), but he was billed as two-way player in juniors because he was smart and responsible, so I don't see a reason that can't be the case at the professional level. Mueller has a lot of work to do, but I wouldn't call him dumb or irresponsible.

Old
10-19-2009, 05:55 PM
yakko

I would also point out that while Mueller has had some obvious skating speed issues in the past, I noticed he keeping up with Lombardi and Upshall in the Bruins game.

Old
10-19-2009, 06:15 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
He's some of those things. He can't skate and he's not the hardest worker on the ice (though given how much he bulked up last year, I would have a hard time calling him lazy in general), but he was billed as two-way player in juniors because he was smart and responsible, so I don't see a reason that can't be the case at the professional level. Mueller has a lot of work to do, but I wouldn't call him dumb or irresponsible.
I never saw more than a few of his amateur games. I've seen the majority of his professional games, though. I would definitely say that he has at least appeared to be relatively lazy, dumb, and irresponsible out on the ice as a professional. I'd say his last eighty games have been worse in that regard than his first eighty games. To me, that's even more discouraging. Honestly, it's so rare that he actually backchecks or hustles that I tend to notice every time he does so. I'd like to reiterate that I'm not saying his next eighty games will be as disappointing as his last eighty games. I'm simply saying if that after the next forty, there aren't some serious signs of improvement, I'd like to see him traded before his value totally plummets.

Old
10-19-2009, 06:17 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
I would also point out that while Mueller has had some obvious skating speed issues in the past, I noticed he keeping up with Lombardi and Upshall in the Bruins game.
There have certainly been a few signs of life in him this year. I'm still very hopeful. Nervous but hopeful.

Old
10-19-2009, 06:20 PM
YotesFan

I'd like to see Mueller drop the gloves. I know this is out of left field but maybe that will get him rolling.

Old
10-19-2009, 06:22 PM
YotesFan

Quote:
I never saw more than a few of his amateur games. I've seen the majority of his professional games, though. I would definitely say that he has at least appeared to be relatively lazy, dumb, and irresponsible out on the ice as a professional. I'd say his last eighty games have been worse in that regard than his first eighty games. To me, that's even more discouraging. Honestly, it's so rare that he actually backchecks or hustles that I tend to notice every time he does so. I'd like to reiterate that I'm not saying his next eighty games will be as disappointing as his last eighty games. I'm simply saying if that after the next forty, there aren't some serious signs of improvement, I'd like to see him traded before his value totally plummets.
Mueller made a great Defensive play this year, can't remember against who but he laid out like a veteran Dman to break up a 2 on 1.

Old
10-19-2009, 09:04 PM
BuddehJuS

Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
The only thing I think needs to change with Mueller's game is for the PP. Get him off the point and to the side boards. He looks faster and scored that shootout goal for us earlier in the season. Let him get acquainted with a new coach and new system and once he does, I think we will all see the Mueller we know.

Old
10-20-2009, 05:09 AM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotesFan View Post
I'd like to see Mueller drop the gloves. I know this is out of left field but maybe that will get him rolling.
I'd like to see him throw a hit first, damn creme puff!

Old
10-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Not to say many of the criticisms are unfounded but fact is there always seems to be a whipping boy around here and right now that boy is Mueller. People have a tendency to jump on the bashwagon and until Mueller does something above and beyond he'll continue to endure criticism around here whether deserving or not.

Old
10-20-2009, 03:42 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Not to say many of the criticisms are unfounded but fact is there always seems to be a whipping boy around here and right now that boy is Mueller. People have a tendency to jump on the bashwagon and until Mueller does something above and beyond he'll continue to endure criticism around here whether deserving or not.
Correct. The problem is, Mueller arguably is our most talented forward. When he doesn't put forth that effort it's just real frustrating to watch. Of course he's going to be the whipping boy, but when you look at his draft and some of the guys drafted in the years before him. He's a hell of a lot further along than most of our prospects. He gets the short end of the stick because he is already up with the big team, but not bringing consistency on a nightly basis. I would of loved for Mueller to have spent some time in the AHL. It seems like it is doing good things for some of our younger players.

That said, I'm not to worried about it right now. He's starting to look a lot better on that line than he did earlier in the season. I see some chemistry going with him and Upshall right now.

Old
10-21-2009, 09:05 PM
AmartZing

Peter Mueller

What happen with Mueller this season? You have a good start but Mueller doesn't produce. I tought last year was just a sophomore slump...i hope Mueller will turn goodand be the face of your franchise for years to come..

Old
10-21-2009, 09:08 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=660956&page=7

Check post #157. This thread will almost certainly be moved to that stickied thread, by the way.

Old
10-22-2009, 01:31 AM
WJF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Druce View Post

Input much appreciated
Ive said it before and will say it again. Last year he came out cocky and sucked. This year he's on the wrong line (can't keep up - should play with Doan instead) and is much too soft. He doesn't crash the net or the corners or anything except probably the sofa at home. He needs to watch video of someone like Parise and Burrows - players that are smaller than him but put in 10 times the effort. The skill is there so with added effort the results should come too. Right now, he doesn't get himself into the chippy areas of play - he seems too scared. He needs to crash the net. It took him many games to score his first career goal. He finally scored because he crashed the net and the puck found its way on his stick - he needs to return to that. He's not a player that can just float around like malkin or somebody. He needs to get dirty.

Old
10-28-2009, 03:02 AM
knivez

I need advice.

I'm in a 30 team keeper SIM league, and we're currently holding our annual prospect/unprotected player draft. The way it works is that each year, we can leave 5 of our players unprotected (usually older veterans) and we draft 5 new players, of which we can draft a prospect or we can draft an unprotected player. The rule is that any player we draft in this draft, we must keep for a minimum of 3 years.

Now it is my turn to draft, we're on the last round and I need a RW. I was thinking of picking up Scott Glennie (who has played RW on the Wheat Kings), but I noticed that one of the other teams has left, lo and behold, Peter Mueller unprotected. I've always liked Mueller, but I am concerned about his regression since his rookie season. Of course, picking up a young, established player would obviously be preferable to picking up a prospect like Schroeder, but I'd like some advice.

What I want to ask is, should I pass on Glennie, a very good prospect, to pick up Mueller (remember, I'd be stuck with him for at least 3 SIM years)? Is he worth the risk? What kind of stats do you see him putting up in the next three years?

Thanks in advance.

Old
10-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

How about a Mueller for Horton trade?

We'd even have a nice nickname for him with the hot summers in Phoenix....The Reverend

Old
10-28-2009, 09:12 PM
hbk

I think it's a bit early to write Mueller off this early.

He has the hands to be a first liner in the league. We saw it at the World Juniors years ago and he displayed first line hands in his rookie year.

What he doesn't have is elite skating. He has the wheels of a 2nd/3rd liner. Mueller is IMO a more cerebral type player who needs to learn to react more quickly to give himself enough time and space to be effective.

What we've seen the last year and for the better part of this season is a player who's timing is completely off. Last year with the much discussed inappropriate increase in muscle mass, Mueller was even slower and could not keep up with the play. This year, he doesn't look like he's rediscovered his timing and seems out of sequence with the developing play.

We saw some good signs tonight in the game against Columbus. By playing physical, Mueller looked to be creating some space for himself which in turn gave him that slight bit of extra time to make something happen. It was a step forward tonight. Something that hopefully he can repeat.

Old
10-28-2009, 09:18 PM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
He looked much better tonight. I think he just wasn't playing with the right players. He looked a lot better playing with players more his speed in Doan and Hanzal.

Closed Thread