HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Player Inquiry Thread (ALL other player-related threads will be deleted)

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2009, 02:59 PM
yakko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Aucoin has always had a nasty streak.

Both Aucoin and Vandermeer played lots of minutes for a pretty good Flames team last year.

Good additions by GMDM.
It's always fun to watch them play together in the defensive zone. They're both pretty cagey about just how far they can go and get away with it, which makes life difficult for the other team's forwards. They do it on a remarkably consistent basis too, which is something I think the Coyotes have lacked for a long time. Jovanovski can get that way, but it doesn't happen very often. We have had plenty of other guys that can also get that way, but didn't seem to consistently except maybe Boynton. Having a pair of those guys back there is great. They can both hold their own making first passes out of the zone too which surprised me a bit with Vandermeer, especially compared to 5/6 guys the Coyotes had in the past like O'Donnell.

Old
10-31-2009, 03:05 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Aucoin has always had a nasty streak.

Both Aucoin and Vandermeer played lots of minutes for a pretty good Flames team last year.

Good additions by GMDM.
I think we need to refer to Maloney as GGMDM. I'll never forget what he said during his first year as GM (I found this link in a post I made 11-18-2007). He achieved his Genius status without giving up anything, and has made about 5 good moves for every bad move he has made (and for the most part has corrected the bad moves ie Fedoruk/Hale).

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...02.html?&wired

Quote:
"Goaltending is something we have to address. If I can get a goaltender in here, all of a sudden, I'll be a genius. That's the first priority."

Old
10-31-2009, 03:08 PM
PhoPhan

Maloney has made a lot of moves that seemed smart at the time and seem smart now. Conceding that he has very limited resources to work with and might have the toughest GM gig in all of hockey, I'm not willing to call him a genius until this team makes the playoffs.

Old
10-31-2009, 05:08 PM
GalenYote

I have been really suprized by Aucoin. He has been a beast in the D and pinches at the right time. He has one hell of a shot considering he is using a wood stick. He just needs to get the shot on net more and he will get more points, either goals or assist from rebounds. I think the heavy stick helps on D because of the mass a the fact that you have to be stronger to move it in stick checks and such. Also it has less of a change for a inavertant high stick. That and it has that cool retro look.

Old
11-02-2009, 02:08 AM
WJF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Wolski and Mueller are similar in a lot of ways. The scary thing is that this is Wolski's fourth year. He had that great rookie campaign and then struggled for two more years. Maybe a cautionary tale about not giving up on a guy too soon.
Add to this that both have been staples on their teams' shootout rosters and the similarity becomes eerie. The only difference is that Wolski is willing to go to the net to collect the garbage, Mueller's not.

I'm willing to give Mueller another year - but next year 10 games will be enough of a sample, particularly if he continues to suck this year.

I'm hoping Tippet's benching does something to spark a fire under the bum. He needs to get loco, and fast. If you're not gonna score then run around and hit everything that moves and play some balls to the wall D.

Old
11-02-2009, 12:07 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJF View Post
Add to this that both have been staples on their teams' shootout rosters and the similarity becomes eerie. The only difference is that Wolski is willing to go to the net to collect the garbage, Mueller's not.
Wolski wasn't crashing the net too much the last couple of years, though. Mueller scored a few from in close in his rookie season, as well. That's it, we need to offer Colorado and Edmonton some draft picks to rent Wolski and Penner for a couple of weeks. Just so they can tell Mueller their secrets, and then go back to their teams.

Old
11-03-2009, 11:37 AM
RR

Boedker Recalled

Boedker recalled today by Coyotes. No word on sending anyone down:

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=504641&navid=DL|PHX|home

Old
11-03-2009, 11:44 AM
indczn

Is someone hurt, or is there more bench fodder?

Old
11-03-2009, 12:00 PM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by indczn View Post
Is someone hurt, or is there more bench fodder?
Mueller and Korpikoski have zero goals. Mueller has now been a healthy scratch for 2 games. Korpikoski has not looked very effective and by no means earned a roster spot. Why not insert Boedker back in the lineup?
I think we will be seeing Porter being called up soon too.

Old
11-03-2009, 12:23 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsthegame View Post
Mueller and Korpikoski have zero goals. Mueller has now been a healthy scratch for 2 games. Korpikoski has not looked very effective and by no means earned a roster spot. Why not insert Boedker back in the lineup?
I think we will be seeing Porter being called up soon too.
We're only thirteen games in. Korpikoski has been better and better. We need to get Mueller back out there to see how he responds to being scratched.

Old
11-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Canuck09

Sami Lepisto

Hey....just wondering how Sami Lepisto has looked so far this year. I thought his game was supposed to be strictly offensive but he seems to get no PP time and logs PK minutes each game. So what's going on? What are expectations for the remainder of the year?

Old
11-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Prospectman

Martin Hanzel

How long has he been playing with Mueller and Doan?

I see 2G 1A in last 3gms.

I know hes more of a shutdown C but could he possibly be getting more offensive opportunities?

Old
11-07-2009, 12:20 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Hanzal has a ton of offensive upside. Look what he did to North American amateur leagues.

Lepisto has been much better than expected. Solid defenseman.

Old
11-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Prospectman

Kyle Turris/MBoedker Update

Could I get an update on their Progress on the Farm?

Do u think they still will have good NHL careers?
Projections?

Old
11-12-2009, 09:43 PM
lanky

I just decided to look up Nick Ross' numbers in Las Vegas and I was surprised to see that he is listed as not on the active roster. Does anyone know if he is injured, or what the situation is?

Aaaah. I just found him on the Rampage roster.

Old
11-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Mathletic

just wondering how much money you think Michalek will get on the market this summer

Old
11-30-2009, 09:43 AM
PhoPhan

I don't think many of us think he'll be on the market. He's been among the most valuable Coyotes for the past few years, and I don't think they can afford to let him walk. Michalek doesn't have the sexy numbers, highlight reel hits or tantalizing physical measurements that tend to command big compensation, but people know how steady a defenseman he is, and I would not be surprised to see him bring in $4 million a year on the open market. He's been on a criminally cheap deal the past four years, and I hope he's not bitter about that.

To answer your question more succinctly, I think he'll end up signing with the Coyotes for something like five years and $18 million, though I wouldn't be surprised to see something longer or pricier. If for some reason the Coyotes can't sign him, the high bidder might look more like seven years and $30 million.

Old
12-02-2009, 02:00 AM
RR

Not so fast on the Rangers got best of Lisin/Korpi deal:

Quote:
Lisin benched

Enver Lisin dressed but did not play as coach John Tortorella sent a message to the 23-year-old right wing, relegated to the fourth line in Friday's 5-1 loss at Tampa Bay, that his lackluster efforts defensively and in battling for the puck will cost him ice time.

"If I had someone else here, I would have taken him out of the lineup," said Tortorella, a strange response considering fourth-line center Brian Boyle was a healthy scratch. "It's part of a process of a player trying to understand what we're trying to do. There needs to be a two-way street."
http://www.northjersey.com/sports/pro_sports/hockey/78018717.html

Which led to this:

Quote:
Enver Lisin to the Pens
Tortorella has pretty much humiliated him in public, indicating that 'he doesn't get it' and that he wouldn't be putting him on match rosters if he had other options.

That sounds like a player that could be had, and he is one of the players who - in theory at least - has the qualities to take off playing with one of Malkin or Crosby.

So, what kind of return makes sense?
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=709788

I love the speculative nature of HF Boards.

Old
12-02-2009, 09:58 AM
XX
... Waiting

Tortorella isn't exactly the best coach for young, confused Russians.

Old
12-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Shane Doan

What's going on with him? Is he playing good, but just not putting anything on the board? He seems to be a cold player since a few weeks...

Old
12-07-2009, 09:55 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Doaner usually starts off slow on the scoresheet but he hasn't been playing bad. He is getting chances and just getting robbed. He usually gets hot a little later in the season.

Old
12-07-2009, 10:26 AM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
What's going on with him? Is he playing good, but just not putting anything on the board? He seems to be a cold player since a few weeks...
Doaner's fine. His numbers are down, but he still leads the team in points. He makes things happen. Forechecks like crazy. Plays 20 minutes a night, more than any other forward on the team.

I think our new D-oriented system tends to spread scoring a bit more than before. We're getting more goals from the blue line and checking lines.

Old
12-07-2009, 01:32 PM
CitizenCoyote

Since this is the Scottie Upshall thread, did anyone see what old friend Danny Carcillo was up to on Saturday?

Flyers got a goal late in the first period to make it a 1-1 game at home against the Caps. Carcillo then cross-checks Matt Bradley, and then goes after him, including a sucker punch that drops Bradley to the ice. When it's all over, Carcillo's drawn two minors and a major, plus 10 and 10. (He also has been suspended for 4 games.) The Caps get 3 goals during the 9 minute power play, and go on to win 8-2.

He's the most undisciplined player in hockey. That we got Upshall for him is highway robbery. That we got a second round pick for him too is even more unbelievable. I would have given the pick just to get rid of him.

Old
12-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Kaizen

While I doubt anyone can/will argue with your description of Carcillo as undisciplined to the max, I have to disagree with the characterization of the hit as a sucker punch. Bradley was dropping his gloves - just because Carcillo is quicker on the draw doesn't mean it was a "sucker punch".

Old
12-07-2009, 04:37 PM
CitizenCoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
While I doubt anyone can/will argue with your description of Carcillo as undisciplined to the max, I have to disagree with the characterization of the hit as a sucker punch. Bradley was dropping his gloves - just because Carcillo is quicker on the draw doesn't mean it was a "sucker punch".
In my opinion, you don't fight another guy in the NHL until he's ready to fight and can defend himself. It's not UFC. Bradley wasn't ready to fight. He started to throw his gloves off when he saw he was going to get hit and then got cracked before his gloves hit the ice. Carcillo cross-checked him and then instigated a fight, and then hit Bradley before he was ready to fight. Once engaged, I agree, all bets are off, but if you have the drop on a guy in NHL, you stand in your boxer's stance until he gets his hands up.

I'm surprised it was only a 4 game suspension. If he'd broken his jaw it would have been 10. But whether or not we agree on "sucker punch," at a minimum what he did cost his team some major penalty minutes and potentially the game -- something we're all used to having seen with that guy. Upshall's more than doubling Carcillo's point production AND we got a 2d round pick.

Closed Thread