HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Blackhawks As Trading Partner

Old
07-07-2009, 11:12 AM
RR

vCash: 500
Blackhawks As Trading Partner

Hawks are in cap hell and, short of finding a taker for Brian Campbell, will have to move some salary in exchange for prospects and/or picks if they plan on signing and keeping Versteeg. I think that makes us a player if the Hawks go that route.

Campbell, Sopel, Byfuglien and Sharp seem to be the players (in that order) that Hawks fans willing to move. Campbell and Sopel are unanimous selections, Byfuglien is about 50-50, and Sharp is more of a last resort.

Byfuglien has 2 years left on a $3M per deal and played W last year. Sharp's a C with 3 years left at $3.9 per. Sharp seems like an obvious fit, but what about Byfuglien? He has some scoring upside, plays a physical game, can lineup at W or D, and looks more like an NFL linebacker than a hockey player (6-3, 245 pounds).

Maloney mentioned adding a tough guy, Buff is certainly that. Was good for 31 points and a +7 last year. And the fact he can play W or D adds a level of versatility and depth the 'Yotes could certainly use. But at $3M per for a guy who's likely a 3rd line winger or bottom pairing D-man, is that a luxury we can afford? I'd say yes, but wonder what the rest of you think.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 11:17 AM
HockeyHillbilly

Buff is out of the question. After the playoffs he had any fan would be a seriously misguided to get rid of him.

If anything they'll deal one of their younger assets which we already have enough of. Just my 2 cents.

HockeyHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Sharp would be perfect for this team but they'll trade or let Versteeg walk before trading him. If they can get rid of Sopel, who they could just waive and stick in the minors, they won't have a problem keeping both for this year. It's next year when they have to re-up Toews, Kane and Keith that they have the real issue.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 11:23 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Hawks are probably OK for this year. Next year is a different issue.

bobbop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 11:27 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

The 'Hawks have a plan. It's not like the Hossa signing just caught them off guard. I'm not so sure that plan would include being forced to move valuable pieces that they really don't want to move. Barker re-signed cheaper than most expected, perhaps Versteeg will do the same, and like AY said, maybe they are willing to hide Sopel in the minors.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 12:02 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Not sure I agree with that. As of today they are at $57.56M without Versteeg.

Old
07-07-2009, 12:22 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
That was the case BEFORE they had to give Cam Barker his UFA deal. Now, not so sure.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:42 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RousselRising View Post
Not sure I agree with that. As of today they are at $57.56M without Versteeg.
You are looking at all bonuses as being earned. If they are earned, they can be deferred to next year. Start at cap floor and you will see they are tight but OK.

Old
07-07-2009, 02:08 PM
RR

Quote:
You are looking at all bonuses as being earned. If they are earned, they can be deferred to next year. Start at cap floor and you will see they are tight but OK.
All bonuses are "earned" as far as the cap goes. It drops only when a particular bonus can no longer be earned. So add $5M to the "salaries" for Toews and Kane to start the season.

I'm not sure it's worth risking carrying the bonuses forward to next year -- if earned -- when Toews, Kane and Ladd are due their big paydays, and the cap could drop dramatically.

I think the Hawks situation is more than tight when the potential risk is losing a Kane or Toews next year, or dealing a Byfuglien or Sharp now. JMO.

Old
07-07-2009, 03:26 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
All bonuses are "earned" as far as the cap goes. It drops only when a particular bonus can no longer be earned. So add $5M to the "salaries" for Toews and Kane to start the season.

I'm not sure it's worth risking carrying the bonuses forward to next year -- if earned -- when Toews, Kane and Ladd are due their big paydays, and the cap could drop dramatically.

I think the Hawks situation is more than tight when the potential risk is losing a Kane or Toews next year, or dealing a Byfuglien or Sharp now. JMO.
Actually, it's the other way around. The only bonuses that count against the cap on day one are signing bonuses and games played when the that game level is reached. Bonuses for goals, assists etc. are not counted against the cap until the end of the season and if they exceed the cap, they can be carried forward and subtracted from next year's cap. I do agree with you about carrying bonuses forward but right now the philosophy in the league seems to be one year at a time. Things do change.

It would seem that they are going to have to move Brian Campbell in the future to make everything work. even that may not be enough.

Last edited by bobbop: 07-07-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old
07-07-2009, 03:59 PM
TJinAZ

I would definitely take Byfuglien

He is just what we need. We have the skill players but only Doan really as the punishing forward. Byfuglien is huge has good hands, good instincts and can play the smashmouth style we have been missing. I would much rather have him than anyone else listed.

TJinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 11:22 PM
RR

An update:

HF Thread on Versteeg Signing Imminent

Daily Herald Blog on Versteeg Signing

Old
07-07-2009, 11:29 PM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
If this ends up being the case, Maloney needs to be on the phone yesterday.

Sharp is exactly what we need.

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 11:40 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llua View Post
If this ends up being the case, Maloney needs to be on the phone yesterday.

Sharp is exactly what we need.
I agree and we're an ideal partner with our prospects and two 1sts next year. But it's also possible Tallon has made the decision to go for broke this year and deal with 2010 in 2010.

Old
07-07-2009, 11:52 PM
k1llua

Quote:
I agree and we're an ideal partner with our prospects and two 1sts next year. But it's also possible Tallon has made the decision to go for broke this year and deal with 2010 in 2010.
I don't know how committed to going for broke he can be. Even if they win the cup, if he manages to lose one of Toews/Kane/Keith. It's his head.

Old
07-07-2009, 11:58 PM
k1llua

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/icing/

It's official.

Maloney. Phone. Now. I don't care if it's a Blackberry.

Old
07-08-2009, 02:05 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I doubt the 'Hawks trade any valuable pieces. They are going for it, this year. More likely they'll hide Sopel in the AHL and then sell off a couple of pieces, NEXT summer.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 02:17 AM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I doubt the 'Hawks trade any valuable pieces. They are going for it, this year. More likely they'll hide Sopel in the AHL and then sell off a couple of pieces, NEXT summer.
I'm beginning to think the same thing. Not sure the many 'Hawks fans who seem to think everything is fine will be saying the same thing next summer, Cup or not.

Old
07-08-2009, 05:43 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

They are almost certainly in trouble next year but for now they are ready to make a run, well on paper anyway.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 11:12 AM
RR

Hawks shopping Barker, Byfuglien, Sharp or Versteeg

What can we offer?

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=307060

Old
07-16-2009, 12:01 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Byfuglien is the type of player this team needs- a big body who will crash the net and isn't afraid to grind it out along the boards. I hope this past season wasn't just a fluke but I have a feeling he will be decent for the rest of his career. Unfortunately I think the Blackhawks will be asking for alot for him.

IF we got someone like Patrick Sharp, that would be great as he would provide some serious goal scoring. But that is a big IF

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

My only concern with Byfuglien is that even though he played very well in the playoffs last year he hasn't shown the consistency you would expect from someone already signed to a $3 mill per year contract. Can he keep that effort level and intensity through the year? He's also not yet been a 20 goal scorer but he is young and very large.

Sharp would be excellent. He could slot in as this team's #1 center and best PK'er. Not often you'd get a chance at a player like that.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 12:22 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
Sharp would be excellent. He could slot in as this team's #1 center and best PK'er. Not often you'd get a chance at a player like that.
Agreed, but I think the chances of us getting him are next to non-existent.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 12:38 PM
SH1VERmeT1MBERS

We could be an excellent partner, depending on what the Hawks are looking for. We have a bunch of assets to offer: 2 first rounders next season, prospects (any but OEL), youngsters (Tikhonov), Prucha, Fedoruk, Winnik, Hale.

What about:

Coyotes: Sharp

Hawks: Calgary's 1st (2010), Prucha, Ross

edit: probably too much...

Last edited by SH1VERmeT1MBERS: 07-16-2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: might be too much...
SH1VERmeT1MBERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Chootoi

You're not going to get Sharp or anyone for our spare parts. The Calgary 1st is attractive, but everyone is expecting it to be low.

Here's the deal I proposed on the main board:

To PHX:

Sharp
Barker

To CHI:

Mueller
Aucoin
Calgary 1st in 2010
Ross

Sharp is obviously a much needed scorer, with Barker being the stud on defense that we need NOW. Ahnelov, Goncharov, Summers, Ross, are all good prospects, but we need someone that's ready NOW. It's fine to let them develop properly but at the same time we can't afford to wait another 2-3-4 years before they're ready to step in. Plus when Jovo's contract is up Barker is still a RFA. We could also desperatly use him on the PP. We lose Mueller, which hurts, but we really don't lose much else of real value and we get 2 elite players back who are locked up long term. The main problem here of course is our budget.

For the Hawks it helps with their cap situation first and foremost. Mueller would be a great substitute to play with Kane and Toews. You just know there'd be chemistry there. He's also still on his rookie deal on the cheap (minus potential bonuses). Aucoin doesn't replace Barker's abilities, but he can play the top 4 and be reliable for their Cup run. Plus he is also off the books after his 1 year deal. The Calgary 1st and Ross make up the difference I feel. Plus it leaves the Hawks room to add someone at the deadline or whenever to go for it and to resign Kane & Toews down the road.

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote