HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

All Purpose Silly Season Thread - All Movement Discussion Here

Old
07-20-2009, 07:59 AM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan4Life View Post
Landon has stated(per the falcons' website)that he has talked with several NHL teams.
What else is he going to say knowing for almost 100% fact that the Oilers won't be renewing their affiliation agreement there? He has to give his fans some assurance that they will have a team next year, even though they may not.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Part of the reason is because this current Phoenix management has not supplied them with any quality vets.
I'm not sure if you just mean last year, but they have gotten some pretty good vets. Two years ago they signed Donald MacLean after he had a 56 goal season with Grand Rapids. Travis Roche was a pretty good offensive defenseman at the AHL level.

I guess historically they have been pretty light, but I think they gave it shot.

07-20-2009, 01:07 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
I'm not sure if you just mean last year, but they have gotten some pretty good vets. Two years ago they signed Donald MacLean after he had a 56 goal season with Grand Rapids. Travis Roche was a pretty good offensive defenseman at the AHL level.

I guess historically they have been pretty light, but I think they gave it shot.
MacLean signings are few and far between with the Falcons, Grizzlies and Rampage affiliations.

Old
07-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
MacLean signings are few and far between with the Falcons, Grizzlies and Rampage affiliations.
OK, if you're going to go back that far, but I think more recent history would be more indicative of the talent level they might go after in the future. Maybe they have seen the error of their ways.

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:03 PM
axecrew

Quote:
Part of the reason is because this current Phoenix management has not supplied them with any quality vets.
Point....but given that history, what makes you think things will change any time soon? Not to mention Phx has enough trouble just trying to get their own house in order, muchless worry about what their affiliate wants.

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:45 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by axecrew View Post
Point....but given that history, what makes you think things will change any time soon? Not to mention Phx has enough trouble just trying to get their own house in order, muchless worry about what their affiliate wants.
History can be thrown out the window if there's a completely different management group in place IMO.

Old
07-20-2009, 06:09 PM
axecrew

Quote:
History can be thrown out the window if there's a completely different management group in place IMO.
But there has been 2 ownership groups since the move to PHX and the group of affiliates(Springfield, Utah, San Antonio) and yet it's still business as usual regarding the treatment of the affiliate. So a new group doesn't mean better treatment for the affiliate.

Old
07-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Captain Esoteric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvesfan View Post
Big jump to make that NJ wants to sell.
People were saying the same thing about the Phantoms before Comcast-Spectacor sold them to the Brooks Group.

Quote:
Why not move the E to AC and the A to Trenton?
I don't know. It doesn't make sense that they would want to uproot their own team and move it from one questionable market to another. Why not just put the L-Devils in AC? What is the big draw of Trenton when they only bring in 2500 people per night?

Quote:
Too many holes in what you post for it to be feasible.
Ha! Well, then, I just better keep my opinions to myself then

Captain Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 08:21 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Esoteric View Post
I don't know. It doesn't make sense that they would want to uproot their own team and move it from one questionable market to another. Why not just put the L-Devils in AC? What is the big draw of Trenton when they only bring in 2500 people per night?
Except at one point Trenton did draw very well, even by AHL standards, while AC never did.

Old
07-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Captain Esoteric

Quote:
Except at one point Trenton did draw very well, even by AHL standards, while AC never did.
I did not know that. My experience with Trenton has been limited to 2,500 average crowds. What were the averages before?

Old
07-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Rumblick

Quote:
I did not know that. My experience with Trenton has been limited to 2,500 average crowds. What were the averages before?
In their early seasons, Trenton was a very tough ticket. Their first year they drew nearly 7,000 a night, and it was that way for a few years. Of course, when the bloom fell off, it did so BIG time.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 08:01 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
In their early seasons, Trenton was a very tough ticket. Their first year they drew nearly 7,000 a night, and it was that way for a few years. Of course, when the bloom fell off, it did so BIG time.
I don't think the reason is as simple as that (especially since Reading still draws very well). I followed the Titans in their first few seasons and I remember that management did some things that really turned off the Titan faithful (on the ice and off) which led to the attendance drop. And, currently, the T-Devils spend as much time/money on marketing as the L-Devils do.

Old
07-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Captain Esoteric

Okie dokey then. Here are some more questions to ponder:

1) If the L-Devils move to Trenton, will attendance go back to respectable levels (I mean, even if they can maintain an average in the 4000 range)?

2) Would Trenton joining the AHL be the gateway for Reading joining up as well?

3) If so, what would be the fate of the ECHL in the East?

4) Lastly, would Atlantic City work again as an ECHL city?

Old
07-24-2009, 12:44 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Okie dokey then. Here are some more questions to ponder:

1) If the L-Devils move to Trenton, will attendance go back to respectable levels (I mean, even if they can maintain an average in the 4000 range)?

2) Would Trenton joining the AHL be the gateway for Reading joining up as well?

3) If so, what would be the fate of the ECHL in the East?

4) Lastly, would Atlantic City work again as an ECHL city?
IMO

1. The Devils haven't marketed either minor league team so who's to say that they would promote the T-Devils even if they were in the AHL.

1b. I think the Devils may have missed the AHL boat now that the Phantoms are gone as it would have been an instant rivarly separated by a 45 minute drive.

2. Not necessarily since Elmira is still in the ECHL.

3. See above

4. I don't think so. The Boardwalk Bullies couldn't even fill the arena to half capacity during a championship run. That said it might not stop someone from trying again.

Old
07-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Captain Esoteric

Quote:
2. Not necessarily since Elmira is still in the ECHL.
I'm not sure I understand how Elmira would preclude Reading's ambitions, other than the fact that they have somewhat of a rivalry going. Please explain.

I will say I am not aware of any AHL leanings in Reading, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Especially if the integrity of the ECHL's East Division is compromised. This could be likely given the potential loss of Trenton coupled with the league's stated intention to focus its expansions and relocations in the South and West (see ECHL June meetings thread on another board).

Old
07-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Captain Esoteric

Take a look at this

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1231124/

Captain's Quote:

Quote:
Mr. LeBlanc and the others haven't forgotten Thunder Bay. If they win the auction, the group plans to move the Coyotes' farm team, the San Antonio Rampage, from Texas to Thunder Bay and help build a new arena.
A few points:

1) I wonder if the San Antonio Spurs are willing to sell. I am going to guess that they are not.

2) If that is the case, then I could see Anaheim and San Antonio striking a deal as early as this season if these investors win the team in the auction (their bid was higher than Reinsdorf's, but I think the NHL has its heart set on Reinsdorf and is trying to engineer the bid so that it will be the most acceptable to the bankruptcy court).

3) The Thunder Bay group would then be in the unenviable position that the Dallas Stars are in right now. At least Dallas is circling above the Iowa Chops awaiting either a death blow or a revival. New owners would either have to hope that another team would be up for sale or try to get one in a hostile takeover.

4) I anticipate that any new owner of the Coyotes is going to try to get the lease at Jobing.com Arena to include performance-based out clauses (similar to the Preds-Sommet Center lease in 2007) in the likely event that the losses continue. Does a Canadian group purchasing a team in Phoenix and placing their affiliate in Thunder Bay possibly indicate intentions to move the team to Winnipeg when it becomes possible?

Just food for thought.

Old
07-25-2009, 05:53 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:

Captain's Quote:

A few points:

1) I wonder if the San Antonio Spurs are willing to sell. I am going to guess that they are not.

2) If that is the case, then I could see Anaheim and San Antonio striking a deal as early as this season if these investors win the team in the auction (their bid was higher than Reinsdorf's, but I think the NHL has its heart set on Reinsdorf and is trying to engineer the bid so that it will be the most acceptable to the bankruptcy court).

3) The Thunder Bay group would then be in the unenviable position that the Dallas Stars are in right now. At least Dallas is circling above the Iowa Chops awaiting either a death blow or a revival. New owners would either have to hope that another team would be up for sale or try to get one in a hostile takeover.

4) I anticipate that any new owner of the Coyotes is going to try to get the lease at Jobing.com Arena to include performance-based out clauses (similar to the Preds-Sommet Center lease in 2007) in the likely event that the losses continue. Does a Canadian group purchasing a team in Phoenix and placing their affiliate in Thunder Bay possibly indicate intentions to move the team to Winnipeg when it becomes possible?

Just food for thought.
I will agree that SSE won't sell but I doubt Winnipeg will get the franchise they lost to PHX, Eso, I'm afraid after Iowa I pray that's isolated then becoming the norm

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:

Captain's Quote:

A few points:

Just food for thought.
I wondered about this as well. It seems either Daryl Jones is not sure how the NHL-AHL situation works or was assuming that the Coyotes affiliation was akin to a franchise (i.e. if the Coyotes want their affiliate in Thunder Bay, they simply drop San Antonio as their affiliate and set up shop in Ontario).

Does San Antonio draw well? If not I could see the Spurs willing to cut their losses and allow him to purchase the team and move it. However, would the AHL even permit the team to move to the Fort Williams Gardens, an arena that holds 3,630 for hockey? I somehow doubt they would allow the team in an arena that small without the guarantee that the team would build a new arena shortly.

While he's bandying this move about, I wonder if its all bluster at the moment? I think if an AHL team is moved to Canada vis-a-vis the Coyotes, it will be to their "2nd home," Saskatoon. I have a feeling that if he's given permission to move 5 games of the Coyotes to Saskatoon that it will be a test run to make sure the city would support a team. If/when those games are successful, it may give Daryl Jones a bit of sway with City Council, to possibly remove the AHL/WHL even level clause from the Blades lease at CUC and pave the way for an AHL franchise here.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 09:50 AM
pelts35.com

According to this link

http://ducks.freedomblogging.com/200...67/#more-16667

The Ducks will be spreading their prospects among a few AHL teams, but there's no mention of which ones.

Old
07-28-2009, 11:05 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
According to this link

The Ducks will be spreading their prospects among a few AHL teams, but there's no mention of which ones.
I know Florida/Rochester approached them about 1 or 2 players, but nothing official yet. Haven't heard about any other teams.

sabrefan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 11:21 AM
axecrew

Quote:
According to this link

Wouldn't be surprised to see Chicago in this mix Pelts. Especially given that they've done nothing on the signing front and Chevy's relationship with Bob Murray.
To recap that for you....Murray loaned black hawk players to the Wolves when he was GM in Chicago with the hawks.

Old
07-28-2009, 11:27 AM
cjerina

Quote:
Originally Posted by axecrew View Post
Wouldn't be surprised to see Chicago in this mix Pelts. Especially given that they've done nothing on the signing front and Chevy's relationship with Bob Murray.
To recap that for you....Murray loaned black hawk players to the Wolves when he was GM in Chicago with the hawks.
Send LeNeveu there, add more questions to who will be in goal

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjerina View Post
I read the first part of the statement, and I instantly thought, why the hell would we want another goalie...then I caught the rest. That was good.

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 03:34 PM
axecrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjerina View Post
Everyone's a comic!!!!
Sorry no thanks, we don't need David's nephew here. Got enough with who we have.
Wouldn't be shocked to see a forward or two and maybe a d-man or two.

Old
07-28-2009, 06:57 PM
pelts35.com

Sorry, but am I missing the joke regarding LeNeveu?

Either way, he's still an unsigned UFA (which honestly surprises me quite a bit).