HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Surprised at no RFA offer sheets?

Old
07-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Peter

vCash: 50
Surprised at no RFA offer sheets?

Last year there were a couple of RFA offer sheets handed out but none so far this year. Anyone surprised by this??? I thought Kessel would be the recipient of one for sure.

Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Zip15

It's early yet. But with the uncertainty about next year's cap, I think teams will be hesitant to hand out big offer sheets which may handcuff them next year and cost them valuable draft picks. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two offer sheets later in the month.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:19 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

vCash: 500
With Kevin Lowe no longer at the helm of the Oliers...not, I'm not surprised with no offer sheets.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Heaters not lazt*

What happened to all the: "Lets throw offersheets at Krejci, Kessel and Hunwick! NO WAY THE BRUINS CAN MATCH!

Heaters not lazt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Kagee*

I guess because most teams just match anyways and then return the favour the following season.

Even uber overpaying like Edmonton did with Buffalo, and they matched.

The best way to acquire a RFA is via trade imo.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
It's early yet. But with the uncertainty about next year's cap, I think teams will be hesitant to hand out big offer sheets which may handcuff them next year and cost them valuable draft picks. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two offer sheets later in the month.
You are probably right. It "appears" that Boston could be in cap difficulty. They have just over $5 million in cap space and still need to sign some d-men - they only have 5 signed at this point. If someone were to lob a $4-$5 million dollar a year deal at Kessel the Bruins, I think, would be hard pressed to match.

Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Sleepyhead

People aren't tendering Kessel an offer because the Bruins are so far against the cap that if anyone signed Kessel to a legitimate contract offer (4-5 million) Boston would take the Picks in a heartbeat

Sleepyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
You are probably right. It "appears" that Boston could be in cap difficulty. They have just over $5 million in cap space and still need to sign some d-men - they only have 5 signed at this point. If someone were to lob a $4-$5 million dollar a year deal at Kessel the Bruins, I think, would be hard pressed to match.
And yet no one has. The main reason has nothing to do w/ Kessel, but more likely the asking price of the offersheet and the cap space it will take up. UFAs are more attactive because you don't have to give up picks. While RFAs wont cost quite as much, but they cost assets and cap space itself - there is no relief and you have to overpay by a fair margin - meaning the RFA will not likely live up to his contract in the 1st year or two.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:32 PM
topheavyhookjaw

Picks and capspace have become more valuable than in recent years with the projection of a falling cap. Therefore overpaying and giving picks as compensation is a risky game.

topheavyhookjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

I'm not surprised...There were only 5 offer sheets (Backes, Vanek, Bernier, Penner and Kesler) since the lock-out and 2 of them were pretty more a joke than anything (Backes and Bernier)

Offer sheets are really overrated on this board

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Heaters not lazt*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepyhead View Post
People aren't tendering Kessel an offer because the Bruins are so far against the cap that if anyone signed Kessel to a legitimate contract offer (4-5 million) Boston would take the Picks in a heartbeat
Nope.

Heaters not lazt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 04:03 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
With Kevin Lowe no longer at the helm of the Oliers...not, I'm not surprised with no offer sheets.
I think people look at that as overpayment reguardless of how well he plays...1st,2nd,3rd just alone the pick 1st that ended up in Buffalo Tyler Myers was overpayment

I think everybody sees trade deadline and FA is not the way to build...drafting is king now

crazyforhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 04:25 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaters not lazt View Post
Nope.
fantastic argument.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 04:25 PM
LordLucic*

Quote:
Shows what you know.

LordLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 04:29 PM
LordLucic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
fantastic argument.
What arguement needs to be made? Boston's GM has stated numerous times that he would match any offer sheet unless it was outrageous (i.e. 6 million+). Boston also has about $5 million in cap room meanings they have the cap room to match a 4-5 million dollar offer sheet.

Old
07-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
I'm not sure if it's that cut and dry, but I think the reasoning makes sense. Why risk giving away draft picks when the guy could well be a UFA before too long?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 04:45 PM
HawksTillDeath

it come down to team dont want to give up draft picks.. period

1 or 2 teams might still sign an RFA to an offer sheet.. but its less likely when they have to loose any combination of multiple 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round picks

HawksTillDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
I'm not surprised...There were only 5 offer sheets (Backes, Vanek, Bernier, Penner and Kesler) since the lock-out and 2 of them were pretty more a joke than anything (Backes and Bernier)

Offer sheets are really overrated on this board
This.

Not surprised one bit

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 05:47 PM
AaronRStanley

As a Leafs fan, I'd like to see them sign Phil Kessel, but I don't think we're prepared to give up the draft pick. although, if we get close to the playoffs, it's not like it'll be a great pick. probably in the 7-10 range again.

But yes, I'm surprised at no RFA sheets yet. Although, does anyone want the next Penner, with the decreasing cap?

AaronRStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

im not surprised at all. teams probably wont be going for the big names. unless a team REALLY wants them.

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 05:55 PM
em1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLucic View Post
What arguement needs to be made? Boston's GM has stated numerous times that he would match any offer sheet unless it was outrageous (i.e. 6 million+). Boston also has about $5 million in cap room meanings they have the cap room to match a 4-5 million dollar offer sheet.
Yet the Bruins won't sign him to that price out right. Imagine what the rest of the league thinks giving up the compensation picks. He will be in Boston but not for the numbers he wants.

em1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 06:45 PM
LordLucic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by em1ss View Post
Yet the Bruins won't sign him to that price out right. Imagine what the rest of the league thinks giving up the compensation picks. He will be in Boston but not for the numbers he wants.
Nope. Boston is looking towards their future and the cap next year and isn't going to give Kessel more then what they believe he is worth. They will match if they have to though, to protect their asset and then trade him or someone else to make room.

Old
07-07-2009, 06:49 PM
LordLucic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronRStanley View Post
As a Leafs fan, I'd like to see them sign Phil Kessel, but I don't think we're prepared to give up the draft pick. although, if we get close to the playoffs, it's not like it'll be a great pick. probably in the 7-10 range again.

But yes, I'm surprised at no RFA sheets yet. Although, does anyone want the next Penner, with the decreasing cap?
May I ask with what cap? Not trying to be rude, just wondering where the money will come from.

Old
07-07-2009, 07:14 PM
drofnats

We're only a week into free agency... we may yet see one or two, but probably not until all the good free agents are off the market... why give up picks when you can sign a UFA for free?

drofnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofnats View Post
We're only a week into free agency... we may yet see one or two, but probably not until all the good free agents are off the market... why give up picks when you can sign a UFA for free?
This was my thought as well. Although the Backes one happened last year on July 1st. The Vanek one didn't happen until July 6th that year.

When a team has an offer sheet signed, they also tie up their cap space while the original team mulls whether to match it. If some team had hypothetically 4 million to offer say Travis Zajac, the Devils might take the full week to decide to match. Meanwhile the other team might see other free agents sign elsewhere because they don't have the flexibility to make an offer in the slight chance that the Devils didn't match.

Now that the market is starting to fizzle, teams will have a better idea of what they have/don't have. But with the cap expected to drop next season, perhaps there just aren't many teams in a spot to make a big offer to somebody like Kessel. And then who knows if Kessel has interest in signing with certain teams if they offered a deal. For instance the Kings have been rebuffed by several free agents who preferred to stay on the East Coast (Drury, Chara, Knuble in particular).

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote