HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Bolts sign Stephane Veilleux

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

vCash: 500
Bolts sign Stephane Veilleux

13g/23p last year, per twitter.

Old
07-07-2009, 03:28 PM
sk84fun_dc

sounds like a Wes Walz recruit from the Wild...

Old
07-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

13-10-23 last year, and a whopping -17. He'll fit in.

Old
07-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Untamable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
13-10-23 last year, and a whopping -17. He'll fit in.
awesome.

Old
07-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
I noticed his ugly minus stats too over the years..on a defensive Wild team, oh well, never noticed the guy much before so can't say if he is anything to have.

07-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Balls Mahoney
Fair and Balanced

No offense but after watching Veilleux in the NW Division over the years, I really think Veilleux is the most useless player in the NHL. Although he always managed to score against the Canucks.

Old
07-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Bish please
...You're hateful.

vCash: 169
Send a message via MSN to Bish please
We need all the depth we can get so no big deal. If Walz reccomended him then that's good enough for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
07-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
No offense but after watching Veilleux in the NW Division over the years, I really think Veilleux is the most useless player in the NHL. Although he always managed to score against the Canucks.
I hope we play you guys, Balls Mahoney.

Balls. Mahoney.

Balls.

Old
07-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Bish please
...You're hateful.

Bob Gainey just offered Price, Markov and 2 firsts for him.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
07-07-2009, 03:50 PM
garmonbozia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Bob Gainey just offered Price, Markov and 2 firsts for him.
Posted via Mobile Device
Shhhh, don't mention the players or you might tank Montreal's 09/10 Season too.

Old
07-07-2009, 03:52 PM
randyc

Huh?

A real head scratcher here. Are they loading up to make a trade here?

Old
07-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Probably figure its a low risk high reward kind of thing. Maybe he finds some offensive game in Tampa for dirt cheap. Who knows.

Old
07-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Vasilevski
TB team with Stamkos

Terms of the contract?

Old
07-07-2009, 04:11 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

Sorta kinda clutch?

"Veilleux scored 10 of his 13 goals last season with his team trailing by one or with the score tied."

He had 98 hits last year. I expect that to go up playing in Toc's system. Here's last year's top 5:
Artyukhin - 249
Malone - 173
Prospal - 126
Smaby - 122 (in 43 games!)
Lecavalier - 110

Old
07-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Bish please
...You're hateful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeresHedman View Post
Sorta kinda clutch?

"Veilleux scored 10 of his 13 goals last season with his team trailing by one or with the score tied."

He had 98 hits last year. I expect that to go up playing in Toc's system. Here's last year's top 5:
Artyukhin - 249
Malone - 173
Prospal - 126
Smaby - 122 (in 43 games!)
Lecavalier - 110
Kinda clutch, comes from a Minnesota team before joining a Tampa Bay team...

It's Jason Bartlett and he has a baseball offseason hobby!

Old
07-07-2009, 04:36 PM
bassassin

750k I guess for one year?

Quote:
Left wing Stephane Veilleux will be part of the Tampa Bay Lightning next season. This was not a depth signing as Veilleux got a one-way contract for $750,000. GM Brian Lawton said he expects Veilleux to be a third- or fourth-line player. If that is where he ends up, he could add some needed secondary scoring to a lineup that lacked it last season.

"He just comes to play every night," Lawton said. "He's a self motivator."
http://blogs.tampabay.com/lightning/...-veilleux.html

Old
07-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Also from the article:

Quote:
That seems to be a theme for Lawton this summer with signings such as defensemen Mattias Ohlund and Matt Walker. Both are thought of as hungry, gritty players who need no help getting focused for games. Lawton said the same about Veilleux, who played for the Wild last season.
lol wut?

Old
07-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
sounds like a Wes Walz recruit from the Wild...
More like a Wes Walz clone. They're very similar players - smallish guys with terrific speed, tons of energy, and never take a shift off. Veilleux is all go, all the time. And like Walz, he was a high-scoring offensive star in juniors, so while he'll never be a 50-goal guy at the NHL level, he does have the skills to bury the puck or make the sweet pass when the opportunity presents itself. His speed, and his desire to make the hit, takes him out of position sometimes, but I think he was starting to outgrow that last season. That's the biggest downside to his game, IMO.

Over the last year or two, as the players were starting to tune out Lemaire, there were a couple of stretches when Stephane would be the best player on the ice for Minnesota for a week at a time - because while the whole team was slacking off and playing like a gang of circus clowns, he kept coming to the rink every night and delivering 110% of everything he had, regardless of how his teammates were playing. I don't know about you Tampa fans, but up here in Minnesota, there were a lot of us who really appreciated a player like that. I hope you guys do too, and give him a warm welcome. I think you'll like him.

Old
07-07-2009, 04:54 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

IIRC, Veilleux has good speed through the neutral zone and decent hands. At that low of a price, why not sign the guy?

Old
07-07-2009, 06:02 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing View Post
More like a Wes Walz clone. They're very similar players - smallish guys with terrific speed, tons of energy, and never take a shift off. Veilleux is all go, all the time.
yes, similar styles and Walz is the asst coach in TB, which is why I posted what I did since they are former teammates and IIRC, played on the same line at times; FWIW, Veilleux's a bit taller than Walz, IIRC.

anyway, I'm sure the TB fans will appreciate the info. in your post

Old
07-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
yes, similar styles and Walz is the asst coach in TB, which is why I posted what I did since they are former teammates and IIRC, played on the same line at times; FWIW, Veilleux's a bit taller than Walz, IIRC.

anyway, I'm sure the TB fans will appreciate the info. in your post
I hope some find it useful. It's tough sometimes, when a new player isn't exactly a star. People don't really know enough about him to know what to expect from him.

Yeah, I knew Walz was the assistant down there. I was really glad to see him get the gig. I just wish it was with the Wild. He's going to make a good head coach someday - he's got the perfect temperament and personality. I'm sure he's a big reason Veilleux was signed, too. In fact, Walz is probably a big reason Veilleux is even still in the league. Stephane learned a lot from him for a few years there, and I'm sure he'll continue to grow under Walz' tutelage.

Take care of our little Vayoo for us, guys. He's a good kid, and a good teammate. Hits everything he can catch, never backs down from anyone, and always sticks up for his teammates. There were times when one of our other smaller players would get run, and Stephane - maybe the smallest player on the ice, even smaller than the guy he was sticking up for - was the only Wild player who'd go after the other guy, even if that guy was a full head taller. Veilleux never hesitated. If a teammate needed help, he was in the middle of it. Good guy to have on any team.

Old
07-07-2009, 07:41 PM
BRichards19

Thanks for the insight! Looking forward to seeing him play.

Quote:
Good guy to have on any team.
Boy do we need guys like this!

Old
07-07-2009, 08:34 PM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

Quote:
More like a Wes Walz clone. They're very similar players - smallish guys with terrific speed, tons of energy, and never take a shift off. Veilleux is all go, all the time. And like Walz, he was a high-scoring offensive star in juniors, so while he'll never be a 50-goal guy at the NHL level, he does have the skills to bury the puck or make the sweet pass when the opportunity presents itself. His speed, and his desire to make the hit, takes him out of position sometimes, but I think he was starting to outgrow that last season. That's the biggest downside to his game, IMO.

Over the last year or two, as the players were starting to tune out Lemaire, there were a couple of stretches when Stephane would be the best player on the ice for Minnesota for a week at a time - because while the whole team was slacking off and playing like a gang of circus clowns, he kept coming to the rink every night and delivering 110% of everything he had, regardless of how his teammates were playing. I don't know about you Tampa fans, but up here in Minnesota, there were a lot of us who really appreciated a player like that. I hope you guys do too, and give him a warm welcome. I think you'll like him.
Quote:
I hope some find it useful. It's tough sometimes, when a new player isn't exactly a star. People don't really know enough about him to know what to expect from him.

Yeah, I knew Walz was the assistant down there. I was really glad to see him get the gig. I just wish it was with the Wild. He's going to make a good head coach someday - he's got the perfect temperament and personality. I'm sure he's a big reason Veilleux was signed, too. In fact, Walz is probably a big reason Veilleux is even still in the league. Stephane learned a lot from him for a few years there, and I'm sure he'll continue to grow under Walz' tutelage.

Take care of our little Vayoo for us, guys. He's a good kid, and a good teammate. Hits everything he can catch, never backs down from anyone, and always sticks up for his teammates. There were times when one of our other smaller players would get run, and Stephane - maybe the smallest player on the ice, even smaller than the guy he was sticking up for - was the only Wild player who'd go after the other guy, even if that guy was a full head taller. Veilleux never hesitated. If a teammate needed help, he was in the middle of it. Good guy to have on any team.
Wow, thanks for the great info. I am not very familiar with him, and when I saw the thread title, I thought he was some AHLer. He sounds like a really good guy to have and a good fit.

here's a vid I found for other bolt fans.

Old
07-07-2009, 08:36 PM
CSampson

Nothing wrong with a little depth. I mean at this point it looks like a trade is likely anyways, maybe a signed forward is included?

Old
07-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Hockeyfan02

Good signing for the bottom lines. Signed for the right amount and can help provide some jam. He's an upgrade over guys like Pettinger from last season and is probably better than Craig at this point. Would not mind seeing him, Halpern, and Downie on the same line. Lawton said they'd upgrade the defense, that's been done. He said they would upgrade the bottom lines, this signing helps that. This offseason is the opposite of last offseason, it feels like there's a plan in place and those plans are being completed piece by piece. Still waiting for a backup, but there's plenty of time for that.

Closed Thread