HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers have expressed interest in bringing back Derek Morris

Old
07-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
This all seems a bit strange to me. Morris' family is on the west coast, and if you remember some of the exit interviews, Morris sounded as if he was all but headed back there. He also made 4 million dollars last year. The notion that he'll sign for 2.5 per is farfetched at best...almost as farfetched as him being better than Rozsival. This is the same Derek Morris that was banished to 3rd pairing duties with limited icetime as last season came to a close and into the playoffs right?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Melrose_Jr.

There's a lot of really foolish commentary in this thread that leaves me scratching my head. I think a lot of people are letting their personal biases get in the way of common sense and reality.

Pre-lockout, I was a big Derek Morris fan. The guy was a dynamic offensive player with good wheels, great vision and a cannon.

Post-lockout, Morris has been as average as average gets IMO. His performance for the Rangers last year left me missing Kalinin. If there's not a player in Hartford that can assume his role, then that's a sad commentary on the development of NYR's defensive prospects.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 08:40 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I'm not huge on Morris, but for the right price i'd take him back.

I think you have to realize the guy came in and took on a whole new style of game almost immediately, and thats difficult to do as a defenseman. If Torts thinks this guy can move the puck the way he wants under his plan then sure i'd welcome him back under the right deal.

If its true hes not hard up for money and they could replace Rozy with him and gain and center and cap room on defense in the process this is a good thing, but i stress its got to be the right deal. You have to save money on Morris for it to be worth it.

Same age, hes capable of dishing the puck and skating. I wasnt factoring him into any of the plans to be honest. But hes got some things to prove.

I do like that the Rangers are actively seeking some NHL defensemen. Whether or not thats a product of them dealing Rozy or not well see. I still think theyll need 5 NHL defensemen on the opening night roster though. Whether or not that 5th guy is a healthy scratch or not doesnt matter. They just need a little more depth.

Would Zubov be a better option here because of his prowess on the PP? Not sure with adding another injury prone player. But i think its a worthy debate.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

I'm with Jonathan and MJ on this one. He had his moments, but I wouldn't bring him back. I'm not a big Rozsival fan, but Morris is in no way an acceptable replacement for him, even if you are shedding cap space.

I'd bring in a guy like Zubov or Schneider before I brought Morris back.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I'm not huge on Morris, but for the right price i'd take him back.

I think you have to realize the guy came in and took on a whole new style of game almost immediately, and thats difficult to do as a defenseman. If Torts thinks this guy can move the puck the way he wants under his plan then sure i'd welcome him back under the right deal.

If its true hes not hard up for money and they could replace Rozy with him and gain and center and cap room on defense in the process this is almost a no brainer.

Same age, hes capable of dishing the puck and skating. I wasnt factoring him into any of the plans, but hes probably a better option than Zubov (even though i want him, for again - the right price and role).

I do like that the Rangers are actively seeking some NHL defensemen. Whether or not thats a product of them dealing Rozy or not well see. I still think theyll need 5 NHL defensemen on the opening night roster though. Whether or not that 5th guy is a healthy scratch or not doesnt matter. They just need a little more depth.
Going into next season with anything less than 5 defensemen with NHL experience is pure suicide. Theres been far too many lineup proposals that include 2 or even 3(!!!?) rookie defensemen. Its absurd, especially in Torts' system which leaves the defense hanging out to dry anyway.

IF we move Rozsival, Sather better be prepared to sign 2 defenseman. Maybe re-sign Mara, and take a 1 year/incentive based flier on Zubov or Schneider...either one could play on the bottom pair and help out with our disgusting powerplay.

Staal-Girardi
Redden-Mara/Roszival
Zubov/Schneider - Let Gilroy/Potter/Sauer/Heikkenen/Del Zotto/Sanguinetti battle for the final spot.

Old
07-08-2009, 08:58 AM
NYROrtsFan

I think it's important to add a defenseman... Preferably it would be a more physical veteran defenseman, but Morris is OK. He's NOT as good as Rozy no matter how much some of you hate Rozsival. He's an OK defenseman that is a little better than Mara in Torts' system. But we need a 5th guy we can rely on. You have to figure that some time during this season a defenseman will go down and that will result in 3 rookies playing. Just can't have that...

Let's go with morris (or Alberts or whoever) and whoever can win the job with that 3rd pairing.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 09:01 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Going into next season with anything less than 5 defensemen with NHL experience is pure suicide. Theres been far too many lineup proposals that include 2 or even 3(!!!?) rookie defensemen. Its absurd, especially in Torts' system which leaves the defense hanging out to dry anyway.

IF we move Rozsival, Sather better be prepared to sign 2 defenseman. Maybe re-sign Mara, and take a 1 year/incentive based flier on Zubov or Schneider...either one could play on the bottom pair and help out with our disgusting powerplay.

Staal-Girardi
Redden-Mara/Roszival
Zubov/Schneider - Let Gilroy/Potter/Sauer/Heikkenen/Del Zotto/Sanguinetti battle for the final spot.
Couldnt agree more, but i think you would see a rookie in 6th spot purely because of the cap.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 09:06 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
I think it's important to add a defenseman... Preferably it would be a more physical veteran defenseman, but Morris is OK. He's NOT as good as Rozy no matter how much some of you hate Rozsival. He's an OK defenseman that is a little better than Mara in Torts' system. But we need a 5th guy we can rely on. You have to figure that some time during this season a defenseman will go down and that will result in 3 rookies playing. Just can't have that...

Let's go with morris (or Alberts or whoever) and whoever can win the job with that 3rd pairing.
Thing is, I think we all agree with this. The Morris haters seem to be arguing against a mythical position - that the rest of us are advocating bringing him in as a straight replacement for Rozsival.

I don't think there's ANYONE in this thread who's advocating paying Morris $5MM per year. What we're saying is that if you can get him at a significant discount (something in the range of $2.75MM) he would be an acceptable vet to bring in assuming you move Rozsival first.

In a non-salary cap world, there's no way you do this. Rozsival is clearly the better player. But if you can get Morris to play at 80-85% of Rozsival's level for a little over 50% of the price (especially on a one year deal), it makes a lot of sense for this team with it's cap situation.

I mean, let's face it - the long-term future of the Rangers and any possible Cup aspirations we have rest on the development of our D prospects, not whether or not we have Rozsival or Morris in our 2nd pairing in 2009-2010.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Debatable. The Rangers just have too many of these defensive prospects that SHOULD be ready to make the jump to keeping forcing them to wait another season. I thought guys like Potter and Sauer could have probably played the season in NY and done just fine. If not, there's always 3rd pairing guys available via UFA or trade in the early part of the season. Eric Reitz was an example of spare part turned into a useable stop-gap.

Old
07-08-2009, 09:24 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

moving rozy is a must. we have redden and his awful deal thats not going anywhere.

to move rozy and signing morris for 1 yr @ 3.5 is better in the long run. or even zubov, really if its a 1 year deal and its affordable, for a 3rd pair guy ill take either. zuby gives us a pp presence we lack so im inclined to say go with sergei over morris even. morris and zubov may not be better than rozy, but they make more sense and both give us flexibility that rozy doesnt give us. one of the kids will step up next year and play 3rd line minutes for sure and gilroy should be, we dont know but we are hoping, a solid 2nd pair guy.

with redden, staal, girardi and now gilroy we have those guys locked up for a few years anyway and having morris or zubov with a 1 year deal is ideal for us.

we need the young dmen to develop and step in and contribute in the near future. one of mdz, sauer, potter, heikkenin or sangs is going to play for us in 2010.

rozys contract is actually an obstacle to that happening.

move rozy now.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
If there's not a player in Hartford that can assume his role, then that's a sad commentary on the development of NYR's defensive prospects.
I don't think it's so much whether a prospect can assume that role, but whether you really want a whole bunch of rookies in the lineup without some veteran presence. Depending on what happens (if a defenseman is traded or something), the Rangers may be looking to sign a guy like Morris to provide some of that veteran leadership to the rookies, rather than playing 3 rookies.

As to why he'd get less than the $4 mill he made last year; because no one wants to pay him $4 mill again

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 09:31 AM
NYRamonte10

Morris

The only thing that I would miss if we didn't get Morris is his good shot from the blue line. He probably has the best out of all the D men. I like rozy though over Morris, rozy has proven that he can be a really solid guy, and he has pretty good hands/confidence all over the ice in years earlier to last. Morris doesn't have the passing ability that rozy does in our own zone.

NYRamonte10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 09:32 AM
mullichicken25

I'd totally welcome Morris back, for 2 years even, as opposed to the 1 year everyone else is suggesting...we really don't know how long our young D will take to develope

however...i think it only makes sense to do this if we trade Rosi (but we should make sure we a quality return on that trade cause like it or not, he's a big part of our D and will not be replaces easilly)

If thats the case then I say sign Morris for 2 years and Zubov for 1...I'd love to have Zubov and Morris on the blueline for the powerplay....and with Gabby? oh man...im gonna dream about this for weeks

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I don't think it's so much whether a prospect can assume that role, but whether you really want a whole bunch of rookies in the lineup without some veteran presence. Depending on what happens (if a defenseman is traded or something), the Rangers may be looking to sign a guy like Morris to provide some of that veteran leadership to the rookies, rather than playing 3 rookies.
I just don't see how that scenario plays out. Morris is unfit to replace any of the top 4 and displaces a prospect on the bottom pairing leaving only one prospect to mentor.

If all you want is a "veteran presence", then Sather should be looking for a Strudwick type players that can travel with the team, has a league minimum cap hit and won't complain about appearing in 25 games.

Old
07-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Levitate

Quote:
I just don't see how that scenario plays out. Morris is unfit to replace any of the top 4 and displaces a prospect on the bottom pairing leaving only one prospect to mentor.

If all you want is a "veteran presence", then Sather should be looking for a Strudwick type players that can travel with the team, has a league minimum cap hit and won't complain about appearing in 25 games.
It depends on what the contract is, in my opinion. Like I said, I don't think he gets anything close to $4 mill again. Maybe a Mara-like $2 mill, and would be a good solid third pairing guy, signed for one year.

But it doesn't make much sense to do it unless another defenseman is traded. For one, the cap space isn't there even for $2 mill per year. And two, I'm with you on taking up too much room at the bottom of the lineup that prospects might play in.

So I'm looking at it more like "if the Rangers trade a defenseman to clear some more cap space, then I wouldn't be surprised or mind too much if someone like Morris was signed". In such a situation, I certainly wouldn't want a Strudwick signed to play consistent minutes

Old
07-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Salz

I would take Morris over Rozy at a decent price. The difference between Morris and Rozy is that at least from what I saw, Morris never made you nervous and never went through a brutal stretch of poor play. Rozy is consistent. A lot of times he's steady, but he often frustrates us with his propensity not to shoot despite having a great shot, and also sometimes looking like a defensive liability. Morris over Rozy.

Salz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post
I would take Morris over Rozy at a decent price. The difference between Morris and Rozy is that at least from what I saw, Morris never made you nervous and never went through a brutal stretch of poor play. Rozy is consistent. A lot of times he's steady, but he often frustrates us with his propensity not to shoot despite having a great shot, and also sometimes looking like a defensive liability. Morris over Rozy.
Morris was terrible at the end of last season, simply brutal.

Rozsival raised his game and played his best hockey when it mattered most...thats the guy I'd want on my team.

Show me an NHL defenseman thats consistent for 82 games, and Ill show you a Norris candidate.

Old
07-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Rozsival raised his game and played his best hockey when it mattered most...thats the guy I'd want on my team.
Maybe he can actually try to do that for more than a 10 game stretch next season?

I don't expect the guy to play amazing all the time, but his inconsistency drives me mad, even while I recognize he's a very good defenseman when he's on.

Old
07-08-2009, 10:21 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Morris was terrible at the end of last season, simply brutal.

I'm not sure why more people don't recognize this. when it counted in the playoffs Rozy was a horse. Morris got third pair minutes. Rozsival was also coming off surgery last off season. Look I'm not going to a wall for Rozsival but right now he's a better player than Morris and at some point, you can't change off the enrtire team.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Maybe he can actually try to do that for more than a 10 game stretch next season?

I don't expect the guy to play amazing all the time, but his inconsistency drives me mad, even while I recognize he's a very good defenseman when he's on.
Well then 95% of the defensemen in this league must drive you mad, because every one of them is going to look like **** at times. Rozsival had a very good second half, Girardi and Staal did not, but I dont hear any complaining about them.

If Rozy was homegrown, and made a million dollars less per season, maybe he'd be recognized as the good defenseman that he is.

Old
07-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Well then 95% of the defensemen in this league must drive you mad, because every one of them is going to look like **** at times. Rozsival had a very good second half, Girardi and Staal did not, but I dont hear any complaining about them.

If Rozy was homegrown, and made a million dollars less per season, maybe he'd be recognized as the good defenseman that he is.
Sorry, Rozsival is more inconsistent than those two (well, maybe not Girardi, he started driving me mad last year as well)

Old
07-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Sorry, Rozsival is more inconsistent than those two (well, maybe not Girardi, he started driving me mad last year as well)
I agree. Staal is a horse, he just happened to have a tough end to last season. I think Rozy was very consistent in the second half...coincidentally, we're talking about a guy coming off off-season hip surgery. Girardi while serviceable, was downright bad at times last year.

Its entirely safe to say that Rozy is the second best defenseman on this team. People want to jettison him for cap space, cap space that will wind up being used on a lesser defenseman. It just doesnt make sense at all.

Old
07-08-2009, 10:31 AM
NYReign

I would steer clear of Morris, he showed me nothing in his stint in blue. I would target Zubov and Ole-Kristian Tollefson on the backline for veteran depth which I think would be enough to allow us to flip Rozsy for some offensive help although I don't know what the options would be there...

Higgins-Drury-Gaborik
Avery-Dubinsky-Callahan
Grachev-Anisimov-Korpikoski (since we're inexplicably letting Zherdev go for nothing)
Byers-Boyle-Brashear
ex Voros

Staal-Girardi
Redden-Gilroy
Heikkinen-Zubov
ex Tollefson

Lundqvist
Valiquette

with hopefully something coming back for Rozsival to improve what I'll admit is a pretty scary lineup (and not in a good way)

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Shake and Bake

Quote:
There's a lot of really foolish commentary in this thread that leaves me scratching my head. I think a lot of people are letting their personal biases get in the way of common sense and reality.

Pre-lockout, I was a big Derek Morris fan. The guy was a dynamic offensive player with good wheels, great vision and a cannon.

Post-lockout, Morris has been as average as average gets IMO. His performance for the Rangers last year left me missing Kalinin. If there's not a player in Hartford that can assume his role, then that's a sad commentary on the development of NYR's defensive prospects.
That's foolish commentary right there...

Morris is ok and if he were willing to take a bg paycut on a short term deal, I will listen

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
That's foolish commentary right there...
Yah, well, like many other Rangers, Kalinin was judged primarily by the name stitched on the back of his sweater and not his performance on the ice, which is exactly my point.