HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers have expressed interest in bringing back Derek Morris

Old
07-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
coincidentally, we're talking about a guy coming off off-season hip surgery.
There's something to that, but he's also done this just about every year since being a Ranger. Periods of great play, followed by periods of pretty terrible play. I'd be happy if he just evened it out to "good"

Quote:
Its entirely safe to say that Rozy is the second best defenseman on this team. People want to jettison him for cap space, cap space that will wind up being used on a lesser defenseman. It just doesnt make sense at all.
Probably because right now it looks like the forwards need more help, and the Rangers will need some cap space available to sign a forward if that's what they're looking for

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 12:39 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Yah, well, like many other Rangers, Kalinin was judged primarily by the name stitched on the back of his sweater and not his performance on the ice, which is exactly my point.
not sure what you meant by that but i judged Kalinin purely on his love for passing the puck to guys wearing jerseys that were different colors than his

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Shake and Bake

Quote:
Yah, well, like many other Rangers, Kalinin was judged primarily by the name stitched on the back of his sweater and not his performance on the ice, which is exactly my point.

?

Kalinin was pretty bad on the ice. I think most fans would agree with that.

Morris as a Rangers was eaily better than Kalinin. And I thought Morris played ok. Fine.

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 12:42 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
I disagree with the assessment of Derek Morris as "poor" or "terrible." I think he played steady hockey for us after the deadline, and still has something left to offer. He's not flashy as he once was, but he's still reliable in his own end. I think he's an above average defenseman.

It's not that I WANT to move Rosie and then sign Morris, it's just that I think there are some potential deals for us to make to improve the team as a whole and it's likely that Rosie will moved. And if Rozsival is moved, I think Morris--for the right terms--would be a solid player for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
?

Kalinin was pretty bad on the ice. I think most fans would agree with that.

Morris as a Rangers was eaily better than Kalinin. And I thought Morris played ok. Fine.
Kalinin made his share of mistakes (who on our defense didn't?), but I don't think he was nearly as bad as people make him out to be.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Salz

I'm not sure where people are getting this idea that Derek Morris was terrible for us. He seemed good to me. He didn't commit any killer turnovers and had a pretty solid shot from the point. It didn't go in very often but it helped create some traffic.

Salz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Shake and Bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I disagree with the assessment of Derek Morris as "poor" or "terrible." I think he played steady hockey for us after the deadline, and still has something left to offer. He's not flashy as he once was, but he's still reliable in his own end. I think he's an above average defenseman.

It's not that I WANT to move Rosie and then sign Morris, it's just that I think there are some potential deals for us to make to improve the team as a whole and it's likely that Rosie will moved. And if Rozsival is moved, I think Morris--for the right terms--would be a solid player for us.

Kalinin made his share of mistakes (who on our defense didn't?), but I don't think he was nearly as bad as people make him out to be.

First off, Melrose pretty much said Kalinin played better for the Rangers than Morris which is a ridiculous thing to say.

For a few months towards the beginning of the year (to around Christmas time, I dont remember?)...Kalinin played some of the worst

hockey by a defenseman Ive ever seen. The guy was absolutely brutal. It wasn't just "oh hes had his share of mistakes." He was

flat out terrible. He was actually playing his best hockey of the year the few weeks leading up to being traded for Morris. Overall

though, he was very bad for the Rangers and he is simply not a good dman in this league IMO

Old
07-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post
I'm not sure where people are getting this idea that Derek Morris was terrible for us. He seemed good to me. He didn't commit any killer turnovers and had a pretty solid shot from the point. It didn't go in very often but it helped create some traffic.
Thats because, towards the very end of last season, he was hardly ever on the ice.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
not sure what you meant by that but i judged Kalinin purely on his love for passing the puck to guys wearing jerseys that were different colors than his
Really? I'm not denying the guy had a tought start to the season, but from 12/20 until the time he was traded, Dmitri was on the ice for exactly (2) goals against. Over that same period of time, he put up 7 points and was a +9. He finished the season with the exact same number of assists as Morris, scored only 3 fewer goals and was a actual +1 over Derek, all @ 1/2 the price and 1/10 of the expectations.

Dmitri worked to get his positioning sorted out, wasn't afraid to take the body and was a capable 3rd pairing guy for the Rangers. Try to show some objectivity and give the player credit when it's due instead of the usual bash-fest of guys fans simply don't care for or make more than you think they should be making.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 12:58 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
I would take Morris over Rozy at a decent price. The difference between Morris and Rozy is that at least from what I saw, Morris never made you nervous and never went through a brutal stretch of poor play. Rozy is consistent. A lot of times he's steady, but he often frustrates us with his propensity not to shoot despite having a great shot, and also sometimes looking like a defensive liability. Morris over Rozy.
LMFAO.

Morris was giving the puck away left and right! He created a ton of odd man rushes against us while he was here because he is one of the worst passers I have ever seen in my life on the back end.

Please. Morris over Rozsival?

Morris shouldn't be making a dime over 2M. Rozsival is a 4-4.5M player or so. There is a massive difference between the two.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Shake and Bake

Rozsival>>>>>Morris

Now, if Morris were to sign a 1 year deal worth around/under 2 million (doubt it will happen) and it will allow us to trade Rozsival, we can use the extra money on a foward

Old
07-08-2009, 01:42 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Really? I'm not denying the guy had a tought start to the season, but from 12/20 until the time he was traded, Dmitri was on the ice for exactly (2) goals against. Over that same period of time, he put up 7 points and was a +9. He finished the season with the exact same number of assists as Morris, scored only 3 fewer goals and was a actual +1 over Derek, all @ 1/2 the price and 1/10 of the expectations.

Dmitri worked to get his positioning sorted out, wasn't afraid to take the body and was a capable 3rd pairing guy for the Rangers. Try to show some objectivity and give the player credit when it's due instead of the usual bash-fest of guys fans simply don't care for or make more than you think they should be making.
so true. I was actually kinda sad that Kalinen was traded. He actually was playing really well. I miss him more than the midgets.

He had a horrid start no doubt, but was turning into a real capable dman. He was the exact opposite of Girardi who started awesome than turned into our worst dman for most of the year. Always kind of amazes me that Girardi gets such a free pass on these boards and good players like Rosy, Kalinen, and Morris never ever get their due even when playing good hockey.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 02:05 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:

your saying all of this to a guy who defends and suports rozsival and drury...two highly debated players to say the least...i've also supported redden since Torts took over and honestly feel he was our best dman in the playoffs... so don't make acusations like that

whether or not those turnovers resulted in goals is irrelevant to me...that has a lot to do with the other 5 guys on the ice (much like that +/- stat you're tossing around...remember malik?)

you can't deny that he was a turnover machine...we're talking scary and blatent turnovers and i'll say that I objectively disapprove with having a defensemen that passes directly to the other team on such a frequent basis

Last edited by mullichicken25: 07-08-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old
07-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
so true. I was actually kinda sad that Kalinen was traded. He actually was playing really well. I miss him more than the midgets.

He had a horrid start no doubt, but was turning into a real capable dman. He was the exact opposite of Girardi who started awesome than turned into our worst dman for most of the year. Always kind of amazes me that Girardi gets such a free pass on these boards and good players like Rosy, Kalinen, and Morris never ever get their due even when playing good hockey.
Its those that are absolutely consumed with the "WE MUST BUILD FROM WITHIN" mentality. Homegrown players will continue to get free passes while objectivity flies out the window. Girardi is a prime example, as is Dubinsky (who Im a big fan of) being that not many people said a word when he went 20 or so games without a goal.

Old
07-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Melrose_Jr.

I didn't mean to lash out at you mulli. I got caught up in this whole Kalinin thing last winter when would I watch Dmitri put together a really competent hockey game, then read through the GDT the next morning and see him getting ripped apart for no reason.

It's all water under the bridge now, but I feel like I'm seeing the same thing being done Rozsival. We've got people suggesting that the Rangers TOI leader should be replaced by a guy who's essentially the "Canadian Kalinin" in my eyes, or at least more comparable to Kalinin than they're willing to admit, and it makes me crazy.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Salz

You guys like Rozy to much. He's way to inconsistent.

Salz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
You guys like Rozy to much. He's way to inconsistent.
The people who like Rozsival so much realize that its not easy at all to play 20+ minutes of defense in the NHL every night. Of course people are going to notice less mistakes from someone like Morris when hes playing half as much.

Old
07-08-2009, 02:43 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
The people who like Rozsival so much realize that its not easy at all to play 20+ minutes of defense in the NHL every night. Of course people are going to notice less mistakes from someone like Morris when hes playing half as much.
Exactly.

Also, watch a game, everybody not named Nick Lidstrom makes mistakes every game. Those who already have decided Rozi isnt any good will point to those one or two mistakes they see him make and say "AH HA SEE?!!!" while ignoring his solid play the rest of the game.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 02:51 PM
NYROrtsFan

Kalinin definitely wasn't great by any means, but Melrose speaks the truth... Either that or some fans don't know what they are watching when a player puts together a good game. Was the same deal with Malik. Just because he was Malik, he caught a lot of crap even on nights where he played well.

Morris was not very good though... Obviously the coaching staff agrreed because he played significantly less than the top 2 pairs. Even on the ice, he very rarely made teh good pass, and typically took the easy way out by tossing it up the boards. Doesn't make him look bad, but gives the other team possession and hurts the Rangers.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 03:08 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
I didn't mean to lash out at you mulli. I got caught up in this whole Kalinin thing last winter when would I watch Dmitri put together a really competent hockey game, then read through the GDT the next morning and see him getting ripped apart for no reason.

It's all water under the bridge now, but I feel like I'm seeing the same thing being done Rozsival. We've got people suggesting that the Rangers TOI leader should be replaced by a guy who's essentially the "Canadian Kalinin" in my eyes, or at least more comparable to Kalinin than they're willing to admit, and it makes me crazy.
its cool

I agree on the Rozsival comment....people on this board are pretty ignorant when it comes to him....he is certainlly not replaceable by Morris

that being said, if Sather decides to trade rozi away, i'd certainlly welcome morris back to prevent having 3 rookies in deffense rotation

If thats the case id want them to sign zubov as well...i think a morris / zubov combo on the PP could be sweet

Old
07-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Soks45

this whole discussion is a little silly to me we are discussing rozy, morris, mara, kalinin, etc. who are each one of them wholly unremarkable defenseman. none of them are very good and none of them (maybe kalinin) are very bad, they are stop gaps until more of our youth can be installed.

what all of these guys are is the transitional material for teams that lets face it, aren't gonna be major cup contenders for at least 2 years. what they are is a method of gradually inputting of the next 2-3 years gilroy, heikanen, MDZ, sauer, sangs, and mcdonaugh.

what they need to do are get defense men who aren't entirely inept and that won't put on cap handcuffs.

Soks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 03:58 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Its those that are absolutely consumed with the "WE MUST BUILD FROM WITHIN" mentality. Homegrown players will continue to get free passes while objectivity flies out the window. Girardi is a prime example, as is Dubinsky (who Im a big fan of) being that not many people said a word when he went 20 or so games without a goal.
so true... so sad.

I'm a big proponent of build from within, but I understand that you aren't going to build a full team from within. Trades will happen, FA. You build the core from within and than add important pieces.

but if a player plays like crap people should just admit it. Cally and Dubi are two of my favorite players. After callys injury I was one of the first people calling for him to be sent to the AHL b/c he needed it to get back on track and was playing like crap in the NHL due to the injury. Dubi i just couldn't quite figure out what the hell happened to last year. Very inconsistent middle of the year for him.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Gardner McKay
Niles, Pls.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
LMFAO.

Morris was giving the puck away left and right! He created a ton of odd man rushes against us while he was here because he is one of the worst passers I have ever seen in my life on the back end.

Morris shouldn't be making a dime over 2M. Rozsival is a 4-4.5M player or so. There is a massive difference between the two.
Maybe he was giving the puck away left and right because hes the only ****ing defenseman that will SHOOT THE ****ING PUCK. Not his fault our forwards couldnt get it back.

As sick as you are of seeing Morris give the puck away (which I really dont recall it being that much) Im sick of Rozy passing up shot after shot after MOTHER ****ING SHOT.

POINT BLANK RANGE MIDDLE OF THE ICE and.... he passes to Drury all the way by the boards for a weak ass low percentage shot that missed the net.

You can keep that ****in panzy Rozsival whos afraid hes going to break something if he shoots it, but let me tell you, Morris isnt afraid to shoot, Morris will drop the gloves, Morris is a better defenseman then Rozsival.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Levitate

Quote:
I've thought Rozsival has been inconsistent for years and he always drives me nuts. And then he starts playing really well and just when I'm about to say "ok, I must have been crazy" he suddenly goes into a big slump, and then the process repeats.

Looking back over seasons, I'm pretty fine with Rozsival in general, but during the season he drives me mad.

That being said, he's definitely better than Morris and I wouldn't advocate straight up swapping the two. If Rozsival goes somewhere, it'll be because of his cap hit and that's all.

Also, Kalinin wasn't too bad overall but when you're a new player with a rep for bad turnovers, and you make a bad turnover soon after joining the team, you're pretty much done for in the eyes of Rangers fans

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 01:09 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
LMFAO.

No...no Jon he wasn't. Im not sure what hockey you were watching.

Morris had less give aways then Redden, Rosy, Staal and Girardi on defense during the regular season(with Morris averaging more then 20 minutes a game like those stated)

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 01:42 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
Maybe he was giving the puck away left and right because hes the only ****ing defenseman that will SHOOT THE ****ING PUCK. Not his fault our forwards couldnt get it back.

As sick as you are of seeing Morris give the puck away (which I really dont recall it being that much) Im sick of Rozy passing up shot after shot after MOTHER ****ING SHOT.

POINT BLANK RANGE MIDDLE OF THE ICE and.... he passes to Drury all the way by the boards for a weak ass low percentage shot that missed the net.

You can keep that ****in panzy Rozsival whos afraid hes going to break something if he shoots it, but let me tell you, Morris isnt afraid to shoot, Morris will drop the gloves, Morris is a better defenseman then Rozsival.
And for all the shooting Morris does he sure racks up those goals

Rosie is a better defenseman and it's not even close. Roszival won't shoot? Please... he passes up some shots because there isn't a lane. If you play D and you shoot it in the NHL you had better make sure it gets through otherwise you are looking at breakaway central.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote