HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Sens vs Bolts

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2004, 11:17 PM
Egil

vCash: 500
Martin said the following about the lightning...

"When you look at our division, we'll have four teams in the playoffs," Martin told Ottawa reporters. "In [the Southeast], only one team will make the playoffs, so when you consider the number of games you play against division teams, well ... but they are still an excellent team, there's no doubt about it."

What an incredible insult to the lightning, they must have been up in arms. A factual statement is made, followed by another factual statement (regardless of TB's actual record against the SE, they do play more games against them), followed by saying they are an excelent team, no doubt about it. That SURE must have had the lightning fired up. Get back to us when we start saying you are a gutless team, or a dirty team, or any other number of actual insults, and not these statements from Martin....

BTW, Torterella could say whatever he wants, Martin won't play childish games like that with another coach (even the ones he doesn't like, like Hartley, or Hitchcock). His response to the Ottawa-Philly brawl was priceless "I don't know what happened at the end."

Old
03-30-2004, 08:10 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
Martin said the following about the lightning...

"When you look at our division, we'll have four teams in the playoffs," Martin told Ottawa reporters. "In [the Southeast], only one team will make the playoffs, so when you consider the number of games you play against division teams, well ... but they are still an excellent team, there's no doubt about it."
Insulting...sure...true...definately.

Not to take anything away from Tampa...but one of the reasons they have as many points as they have is because they are an adult in a kid's division. Sorry if it sounds harsh, but I don't quite know how else to convey it. Stick Tampa in the Northeast for a whole season, and see how many points they'd rack up.

Old
03-30-2004, 08:25 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

I'm not really sure how Ottawa can say we "own" Tampa after pulling one out like that. It was a great game in which Ottawa marginally controlled play at best. But overall, I think we are a bit of a tough match-up for Tampa and it was nice to go into their building and create so many chances. It would no doubt be a great playoff series.

And I have to say, Martin's dry quips of nothingness do kind of crack me up sometimes, especially when everyone else is completely loosing their noodle like with what happened in Philly.

On the Neil hit, I was actually really disappointed with Millen and Brown in that they didn't read Tortorello right at all. The camera showed him watching the video replay and immediately turn to his assistant afterwards and said "it was a good hit" (I'm pretty darned sure that's what he said anyway). He then started talking to his players about the business at hand and clearly wasn't that upset by it. Meanwhile, Dean Brown was going off about how Torterello didn't like it and how he was wrong to feel that way. He was totally wrong.

Anyway, good game Bolts fans. We'll see you in the spring.

Old
03-30-2004, 08:36 AM
Other Dave

I was very impressed with the way the Bolts contained the Sens in their own end for so much of the period. It's rare for Ottawa to have to reload so often right against their own boards.

Other Dave

Old
03-30-2004, 08:42 AM
TexSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e)
I'm not really sure how Ottawa can say we "own" Tampa after pulling one out like that. It was a great game in which Ottawa marginally controlled play at best. But overall, I think we are a bit of a tough match-up for Tampa and it was nice to go into their building and create so many chances. It would no doubt be a great playoff series.

And I have to say, Martin's dry quips of nothingness do kind of crack me up sometimes, especially when everyone else is completely loosing their noodle like with what happened in Philly.

On the Neil hit, I was actually really disappointed with Millen and Brown in that they didn't read Tortorello right at all. The camera showed him watching the video replay and immediately turn to his assistant afterwards and said "it was a good hit" (I'm pretty darned sure that's what he said anyway). He then started talking to his players about the business at hand and clearly wasn't that upset by it. Meanwhile, Dean Brown was going off about how Torterello didn't like it and how he was wrong to feel that way. He was totally wrong.

Anyway, good game Bolts fans. We'll see you in the spring.
To answer a previous question about watching the CTV feed instead.......Directv's Center Ice package only had the Sunshine feed (I live in the States) so I was stuck with it.

Doesn't sound like the Millen/Brown broadcast was all that much better.

Old
03-30-2004, 08:56 AM
highstickingyerface

Send a message via MSN to highstickingyerface
One of the best games I've seen all year.. even the terrible combination of Millen/Brown calling it couldn't ruin it for me this time.

I thought Bondra's quip was pretty cool too. Who is Tim Taylor to make comments like that anyhow?

I disagree with suggesting TBay is only where they are because of the division they play in.. don't they actually have a losing record in their own division?

Brad Richards is an amazing passer by the way.

Old
03-30-2004, 09:45 AM
mcphee

I've only seen TB against the Habs this year and enjoyed last night's game quite a bit. There aren't many players left who are worth the ticket price, but those 2 teams have about a dozen. One question, does Tortorella always play to the camera like that ? The top level coaches keep the poker face going and usually you can't tell who scored by the coach's facial expression. The theory being, if the coach doesn't panic behind the bench, the players on the bench don't. He seems to work hard at selling himself.

Old
03-30-2004, 09:47 AM
GoBolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by highstickingyerface
I disagree with suggesting TBay is only where they are because of the division they play in.. don't they actually have a losing record in their own division?
Actually, the Lightning do have a winning record in the division. The Sunshine broadcast showed a graphic of Tampa's and Ottawa's records against the three Eastern Conference divisions, and it showed that while the Senators had a better record against the Southeast than the Lightning, the Lightning pretty much owned the Atlantic division (season sweeps against the Devils and Flyers will do that), and had a better record against the Northeast than Ottawa.

Oh, and it hasn't been mentioned here previously about the booing, but some of those might have been related to saves by KhabiBOOlin. Mostly, though, I agree it was due to the recent player quotes regarding the loud arena.

Great game, Sens! See you in a month or so!

Old
03-30-2004, 10:24 AM
Oceanic39*

Re: Martin's comments...

Had the actual quote been repeated, there wouldn't have been an uproar. Commentators just said something to the effect of Martin said the Lightning are a product of their division and wouldn't last in the NE.

The difference between the actual quote and what was paraphrased was huge.

Thanks for posting the quote. Nothing to be upset about at all.

Re: Torts...

He's got a George Costanza poker face.

I like it. Sure, ideally, you'd like a coach who shows poise, but the team usually shows it without having to get it from the coach. Sometimes when Khabi lets in a bad goal they'll show him on the bench mouthing the words "what the f_ was that?!"

Old
03-30-2004, 10:36 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanic39
Re: Torts...

He's got a George Costanza poker face.

I like it. Sure, ideally, you'd like a coach who shows poise, but the team usually shows it without having to get it from the coach. Sometimes when Khabi lets in a bad goal they'll show him on the bench mouthing the words "what the f_ was that?!"
It's true. There were several times during the game where you knew exactly what he said. Not only is he quite vocal, but he also annunciates his words quite well - great for us amateur lip readers...

Old
03-30-2004, 11:04 AM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e)
It's true. There were several times during the game where you knew exactly what he said. Not only is he quite vocal, but he also annunciates his words quite well - great for us amateur lip readers...
Yeah at one time you could barely see him turning his back, looking down and mouthing *******. Martin has been really good at noticing when the cameras are on him and not. He looks annoyed when the other team scores, but not overly mad. Once the camera goes off he gets pissed off. I remember on TSN they said Martin was screaming at his players, then the camera went on him and he was as calm as ever.

Old
03-30-2004, 11:11 AM
o-dog

If anyone is taking advantage of the Southeast division for points, it's Ottawa not Tampa Bay. Don't have the facts right now but I'm positive that Ottawa has racked up the points all year against that division.

About the booing...I thought it was a lot of fun. I was really surprised just how much the fans were into the game...who cares if they don't know what they're complaining about I almost thought there were a lot of Leaf fans because it seemed a lot of the booing was directed at Alfredsson!

Old
03-30-2004, 02:25 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:

Had the actual quote been repeated, there wouldn't have been an uproar. Commentators just said something to the effect of Martin said the Lightning are a product of their division and wouldn't last in the NE.

The difference between the actual quote and what was paraphrased was huge.
That is a huge difference. I didnt see the actual quote, just heard from somebody that Martin said the Lightning wouldnt be where they are if they were in the Northeast. Still dont like the fact the Southeast ALWAYS has to be brought up but whatever. Nothing to start anything over as I was earlier.

Old
03-30-2004, 02:56 PM
Flycoon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiedog
If anyone is taking advantage of the Southeast division for points, it's Ottawa not Tampa Bay. Don't have the facts right now but I'm positive that Ottawa has racked up the points all year against that division.

About the booing...I thought it was a lot of fun. I was really surprised just how much the fans were into the game...who cares if they don't know what they're complaining about I almost thought there were a lot of Leaf fans because it seemed a lot of the booing was directed at Alfredsson!
I wouldn't be surprised if the boos were directed at Alfruitsen. Poodle haired Euros usually get that reaction from fans here.

Old
03-30-2004, 03:06 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycoon
I wouldn't be surprised if the boos were directed at Alfruitsen. Poodle haired Euros usually get that reaction from fans here.
Why? because his neck isn't red?

Old
03-30-2004, 03:41 PM
Timmy1973

Please try to remember one thing about Florida sports fans. I would say that there are at least a couple of thousand fans that are in the arena just because the Lightning are a winning team now and there have been a lot of tickets deals in the last half of the season. They have no clue as to the rules or how the game is played. That being said please don't be too harsh on some of the newbies in the Forum.
On a separate note about boarding. I thought boarding was being violently checked into the boards irrellevent of how far you were away from them, but isn't it up to the ref's discression? If I'm wrong here please someone correct me. Personally I don't think the Lukowich hit shouldn't have warranted a penalty because he saw it coming, prepared himself for it but unfortunately hit his head on the dasher as he fell aukwardly. Just bad luck.

Old
03-30-2004, 04:03 PM
Don Draper

when we were on that 4 min powerplay, i thought for awhile that we were playing Toronto, and Alfie was touching the puck. Apparently not, since most were still booing when their team had the puck. I figured they just didnt notice that the puck had changed possession, but then Alfie went off the ice, and the booing ensued. Ah well, at least the fans showed up and tried their hardest to be hockey fans

Old
03-30-2004, 04:12 PM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting004
Those guys were 10x worse than Millen. Period. Talk about clueless, yeesh...they don't know half the rules of hockey and they're calling games.

they are some of the most knowledgeable ones doing games in this league they call it the way it is no need to sugercoat garbage reffing when it sits right in front of you

Old
03-30-2004, 04:14 PM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
Great game if you're an Ottawa fan, yeah. If you're a Tampa fan, you're pointing to shoddy defense and inconsistent goaltending.

Why weren't you watching your game, Luongofan? Don't you have the 2nd half of Rick Dudley's ars to kiss, anyway?

Re: Color commentary...

1. Why not listen to the CTV broadcast that was on?
2. Yup, that's pretty much him. YES, you are correct. That wasn't boarding as he wasn't facing the wall. YES, you are correct, that hit a Lightning player. However, that was not offsides. The puck did not cross the blue line - it was sitting in the middle of it. The last icing the guy had his hand in the air and called it off. Why?
3. They know the rules. Like a lot of broadcasters (Rimmer is the worst, IMO), they see what they want to see and can afford to because 90% of their audience are TB fans. If you fire them, you fire every team-specific group as 90% in the league are horrid.

If Chara doesn't win the Norris it's a crime. It shouldn't even be close.

The Sens just own Tampa. I don't know if there's a mental block there or what, but TB cannot beat them.

He wanted to see a real team play

Old
03-30-2004, 04:19 PM
1Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M. Fletcher
when we were on that 4 min powerplay, i thought for awhile that we were playing Toronto, and Alfie was touching the puck. Apparently not, since most were still booing when their team had the puck. I figured they just didnt notice that the puck had changed possession, but then Alfie went off the ice, and the booing ensued. Ah well, at least the fans showed up and tried their hardest to be hockey fans
The fans boo'd when Ottawa had the puck (and T.B. didn't have it for any extended amount of time during the PK aside from Lecavalier's break, as I think you know) and stopped when the Ottawa power play ended. I stand by the aforementioned comments of the other Bolts fans regarding the newspaper articles, and to a further extent, the Jumbotron continued to show quotes from players saying that they liked the noise, which also provided encouragement for Bolts fans to get into the game.

The team's courting fans again. What jollies do you get out of telling fans in a non-trad market who will probably never read these boards that they're not good enough?

Old
03-30-2004, 04:54 PM
Don Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Timer
The fans boo'd when Ottawa had the puck (and T.B. didn't have it for any extended amount of time during the PK aside from Lecavalier's break, as I think you know) and stopped when the Ottawa power play ended. I stand by the aforementioned comments of the other Bolts fans regarding the newspaper articles, and to a further extent, the Jumbotron continued to show quotes from players saying that they liked the noise, which also provided encouragement for Bolts fans to get into the game.

The team's courting fans again. What jollies do you get out of telling fans in a non-trad market who will probably never read these boards that they're not good enough?
Firstly, the booing did not stop after the poweplay finished. Secondly, it was more of an attempt at a joke than it was a shot at lightning fans. As i said, its better to fans there booing than for there to be no fans at all. No offense intended, but alas, what can you do

Old
03-30-2004, 05:08 PM
1Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M. Fletcher
Secondly, it was more of an attempt at a joke than it was a shot at lightning fans. As i said, its better to fans there booing than for there to be no fans at all. No offense intended, but alas, what can you do
Forgive me for misunderstanding you, then. I don't think the thought of insult would have passed my mind if it hadn't been done repeatedly in the past.

As for the booing part, you're right, but it seemed to taper off after the 2nd ended as it did with the Devils game.

Old
03-30-2004, 05:46 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
Why? because his neck isn't red?

Old
03-30-2004, 06:01 PM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Timer
As for the booing part, you're right, but it seemed to taper off after the 2nd ended as it did with the Devils game.
I hate to even mention this ridiculous situation, but a lot of the booing was also related to the prize winners being posted on the JumboTron throughout the game. Seems a healthy portion of the winners were seated in club seats and luxury suites, prompting the fans in the "cheap" seats to express their displeasure.

Old
03-30-2004, 06:19 PM
1Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeminus
I hate to even mention this ridiculous situation, but a lot of the booing was also related to the prize winners being posted on the JumboTron throughout the game. Seems a healthy portion of the winners were seated in club seats and luxury suites, prompting the fans in the "cheap" seats to express their displeasure.
Completely OT: I didn't even want to bring that up because I thought that most of that booing happened during the T.V. timeouts, but some of it did occur/spill over on faceoffs. It just makes me shake my head. The organization's trying to do something for the fans and the fans aren't quite reciprocating. The whole situation's a joke.

It was quite amusing when the people in the 100's booed the 300 level winners.

Closed Thread