HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Korpo to the KHL??

Old
07-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Olympic nut

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Dam, everytime you turn around, there's a rumor someones bolting to the KHL.
I think a lot of this is to do with agents leaking info to the press to gain leverage in contract negotiations.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Thefalkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Yeah, and the original article from Aftonbladet is saying that "Korpikoski is on his way to Timrå" and Timrå have made a 500K offer for Korpikoski. That tells you the level of these reports -- how likely is it that Korpi would take less then 50% of what he is beeing offered in NY to go and play for a small town team in the north of Sweden?

Not very very likely.
Are the taxes any different, because it could come out to a somewhat similar payout. He doesn't seem like the type of player that'd go over just yet, he's still young.

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Kendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATCHAMALA11 View Post
We have plenty of better options in the system. Wasn't all that impressive to me.
If by "plenty" you mean "arguably one, maybe two", then yeah.

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 06:22 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrk View Post
Are the taxes any different, because it could come out to a somewhat similar payout. He doesn't seem like the type of player that'd go over just yet, he's still young.
Ola could tell me I'm completely wrong, but it's my understanding that everything in Sweden is taxed like crazy, because the government offers so many socialized services.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 06:26 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATCHAMALA11 View Post
We have plenty of better options in the system. Wasn't all that impressive to me.
And who is that?

Jeeze give a 22 year old rookie a chance to develop maybe a season or two in the NHL before throwing him away. Not everyone is Sidney Crosby and is a star player the second they step into the NHL.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Bobby Granger

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Granger
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
And who is that?

Jeeze give a 22 year old rookie a chance to develop maybe a season or two in the NHL before throwing him away. Not everyone is Sidney Crosby and is a star player the second they step into the NHL.
Preach. See marc savard

Bobby Granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 07:05 PM
TheHotRock

i think korpedo stays. he's got a sweet wrister, is defensively responsible, has pretty good size and can kill penalties. he's gonna see 13ish minutes a game at least if he comes back.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 07:24 PM
eco's bones

I see an upgrade in his role on the team and in his numbers. Size, speed, grinding and hitting and taking hits--he's enthusiastic too.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 07:39 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I see an upgrade in his role on the team and in his numbers. Size, speed, grinding and hitting and taking hits--he's enthusiastic too.
Yep, I have to think Torts likes this kid and he's versatile. He can play center. He can kill penalties. He's fast, has a great shot and doesn't shy away from the physical game. People who "weren't impressed" need to have a little patience. We were awful offensively last year; you expect a rookie to put up respectable numbers under those circumstances? Lets see what a full year in a new system with a re-tooled roster produces before we give up on the kid. And if you're gonna give up on him, don't say "good riddance, enjoy the KHL"; the kid is 22 and has one season under his belt - no way he doesn't have a little trade value. Boyle got the Kings a third. If we truly are done with Zherdev and Korpo doesn't have a place on the team for some reason, package them both. That's got to get something.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 07:40 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Love him. Would be very upset if Slats didn't sign him and he bolted overseas.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 08:09 PM
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Our team is looking pretty solid. I just hope we can bring back Zherdev and/or Korpedo....

I think it would be good for Grachev to have a year in the AHL. I don't wanna rush him into the NHL, even if hes ready...
Zherdev and Korpikoski aren't anywhere near each other in terms of skill. It shouldn't be a "one or the other" kind of decision.

KreiMeARiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 10:53 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Korp can see Russia from his house
so can palin

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 10:59 PM
NY Ranger86

Quote:
new system with a re-tooled roster
By re-tooled do you mean losing our top 3 in points last season (Naslund, Gomez, Zherdev)? Adding Higgins and Gaborik? If we lose Zherdev... We will have some serious problems offensively again.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
so can palin
But, it's a whole different side!

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 11:50 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
By re-tooled do you mean losing our top 3 in points last season (Naslund, Gomez, Zherdev)? Adding Higgins and Gaborik? If we lose Zherdev... We will have some serious problems offensively again.
It's still a different identity. Sjostrom, Orr, Betts, Gomez, Naslund, Mara gone. Maybe Morris comes back. Do we make another move this off-season? Who else leaves? Boyle, Brashear, Higgins, Gaborik, Gilroy - maybe another young defenseman, Anisimov, Grachev and/or Byers. This will be a different team, with a new coach for a full year, playing a new system. Last season is history. No telling what happens this year.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
I think a lot of this is to do with agents leaking info to the press to gain leverage in contract negotiations.
At least one guy wasn't try to call someone's bluff: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=284076

Hudler was due to go to arbitration. Coming off a 23-34-57 season, he had to think he was in for a major raise from someone even if DET declined. Apparently, he only got a $2M KHL contract.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 08:59 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Granger View Post
Preach. See marc savard
Savard is a horrible example. He was about a .6 ppg scorer, when magically, at age 28, he started scoring a PPG. You won't find too many players with the kind of career arc that he has had.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 10:03 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
At least one guy wasn't try to call someone's bluff: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=284076

Hudler was due to go to arbitration. Coming off a 23-34-57 season, he had to think he was in for a major raise from someone even if DET declined. Apparently, he only got a $2M KHL contract.
might this be a precursor to zherdev ?

i mean, if zherdev can get similar type money without taxes in the khl and not worry about playing any defense over there, would he? this way he gets away from tortorella, who would have made him accountable and challenged him to be better.

i could see niky taking the easy money way out. to me zherdev has elite talent but his heart isnt there. imo, hes not a fighter. hockey comes easy to him and hes hasnt shown me that burning desire to get better.

would not be shocked if he followed hudler back to russia.

just sayin........

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 10:29 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post

Some minutes ago from David Pagnotta's Twitter, wow:

"DET tried to convince Jiri Hudler to stay, but it didn't work. He's going to Russia next year signing a 2-yr, $10M deal (tax free) w/ Dynamo"

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Agitator View Post

"DET tried to convince Jiri Hudler to stay, but it didn't work. He's going to Russia next year signing a 2-yr, $10M deal (tax free) w/ Dynamo"
Oh my. Well, that does make more sense.

So what's Korpikoski worth then?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
i mean, if zherdev can get similar type money without taxes in the khl and not worry about playing any defense over there, would he? this way he gets away from tortorella, who would have made him accountable and challenged him to be better.

i could see niky taking the easy money way out. to me zherdev has elite talent but his heart isnt there. imo, hes not a fighter. hockey comes easy to him and hes hasnt shown me that burning desire to get better.
Maybe, but he was very unambiguous about saying he wanted to play in the NHL and for the Rangers next year. As in he explicitly stated that, and explicitly said that he'll have plenty of time to play in the KHL later if he wants to.

edit: and yes, this was after being coached by Tortorella and benched and all of that stuff. Why would he file for arbitration if he was going to jump ship. Hudler was taken to arbitration by the Wings, so it's not the same situation

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Hockey2000nyr

i dont think it would be too farfetched to say that korpikoski might be one of the only few guys on the team right now that has the wheels to actually skate with gaborik....especially considering his size and he is defensively responsible. i feel korpikoski is best used as a winger. when he plays center he does a good job but i feel he excels better when at wing. he can use his speed to move up the ice better.

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Agitator View Post

$5M per year for Hudler? That's insane.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Hockey2000nyr

see you can say that zherdev might want to go back to russia to play in the KHL, but like said in this thread already, he wants to be back in new york, he wants to be a ranger. i think he meshed well with dubinsky and the rest of the younger group. and with gaborik here next year i think zherdev will see how a guy like gaborik, who is one of the elite talents in the NHL, really plays game in and game out...maybe tortorella can light a fire under zherdevs ass. you never know, i just think its far toooo early to give up on zherdev, especially at the cost that we gave up in tyutin.

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 07:26 AM
free0717

A letter to Lauri Korpikorski

Dear Lauri

As a longtime Ranger Fan and an NHL fan, I recommend you just accept the Qualifying Offer. Lauri, you only scored 7 goals and 6 assists last year. $1,000,000.00 is alot of money for those #s. Just ask Dr. Evil. Lauri, you are the favorite this year to win the third line left wing job. You will get ample playing time and if you score 15 goals and 35 pts, your salary will increase dramatically. Lauri, at this point in your career, the KHL or finnish league will kill your NHL opportunities in the future.

In conclusion, take the QO and raise your game to the next level

Very truly yours

free0717

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote