HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Korpo to the KHL??

Old
07-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Melrose_Jr.

vCash: 500
Interesting twist to the Hudler story. The NHL is contesting his new contract to the IIHF and KHL. Basis of their case being that his acceptance of arbitration shows intent to remain with the team.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/darren_dreger/?id=284300

Not sure Korps is in the same position by being qualified, but.....

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 12:22 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Interesting twist to the Hudler story. The NHL is contesting his new contract to the IIHF and KHL. Basis of their case being that his acceptance of arbitration shows intent to remain with the team.

No but Zherdev is.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 03:33 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
...this happends all the time. European unsigned NHL players have a agent in the NA and a agent in Europe, usually its part of the package to get agents. Untill that european player have signed a contract in the NHL his european agent will fish for deals in Europe....
Makes sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
I think a lot of this is to do with agents leaking info to the press to gain leverage in contract negotiations.
I bet this is exactly what's happening, it's all part of the process.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 03:40 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post

Hudler filed for salary arbitration on Sunday and three days later signs to play in the KHL

The NHLPA has some responsibility here. What is the agent doing? If Hudler didn't file for arbitration,then he could have done whatever he wanted.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 04:36 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soks45 View Post
yeah i have high hopes for him but at least this coming year id don't really see where he fits in unless grachev doesn't get a shot all year

Zherdev-Dubi-Gabby
Higgins-Drury-cally
Grachev-anisimov-avery
byers-boyle brashear

yeah i like korpi but i like grachev a lot more and i think he pushes for a spot by the break if not in camp. don't u think korpi probably sees this? and might be looking over his shoulder.

also i don't think putting on the 4th line with boyle and brashear makes any real sense from that line is going to be asked to do and given korpi's skill set
i highly doubt Grachev is going to be rushed to the NHL now that we have Gaborik. He'll at least start the season in Hartford.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 05:22 PM
9darter
Soft Euro

Guys, why don't you try to put on Korpi's shoes for just one second.
You are a talented young player but probably limited to a future career as a second liner at a max salary of some $3-4M down the road, realistically.
You've just had a decent but not fantastic season with the Rangers.
You know you won't be offered a very big raise, more likely you'll have to be content with the same as last season, around $1.0 M minus taxes.
No contest there, you can't really argue for a big raise.
Sure, the right thing to do is stay on and hope for a good season and a fat contract next time around, but there's never any guarantee for that, is there?
But now there comes a Russian team offering $1.5M tax free. That's up with your future projected max, right down your wallet. Right now.
Seriously, wouldn't you at least consider it?

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9darter View Post
You are a talented young player but probably limited to a future career as a second liner at a max salary of some $3-4M down the road, realistically.
You know you won't be offered a very big raise, more likely you'll have to be content with the same as last season, around $1.0 M minus taxes.
Sure, the right thing to do is stay on and hope for a good season and a fat contract next time around, but there's never any guarantee for that, is there?
But now there comes a Russian team offering $1.5M tax free. That's up with your future projected max, right down your wallet. Right now.
2004-05 TPS Turku FNL 41 0 6 6 12 6 1 0 1 0
2005-06 TPS Turku FNL 51 3 4 7 16 2 0 1 1 0
2005-06 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 5 2 1 3 0 11 1 0 1 2
2006-07 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 78 11 27 38 23 7 0 0 0 0
2007-08 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 79 23 27 50 71 5 1 1 2 0
2007-08 New York Rangers NHL -- -- -- -- -- 1 1 0 1 0
2008-09 New York Rangers NHL 68 6 8 14 14 7 0 2 2 0
2008-09 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 4 4 2 6 0 -- -- -- -- --
NHL Totals 68 6 8 14 14 8 1 2 3 0

This is talent? I look at him as a hard working player who's biggest asset is his speed. He is limited in an offensive roll and has showed that at almost every lvl he has played at except for one WJC tourny. IF he was to leave it would hurt our PK and thats really about it. He's replacable and should never have been a 1st round pick. I don't mind players asking for money and a higher contract but EARN it. If the KHL wants to give him 3 mill for most likely a 10 goal or less season then let them have at it.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 08:39 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
he's got bad wrists, it makes it hard to consistently shoot the way he's capable of, at least that's what I hear. We've seen what a sniper he can be, just look back to his first game as a Ranger against the Penguins. He's got the skillset but lacks the ability to be consistant. On top of that though, he's not a guy that's going to quit and on a bad day he's still going to be a good player for you. I'd be happy with him on our 2nd line in the future.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 08:49 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9darter View Post
Do you realize how much he made playing in Hartford? Very, very little because he was on a 2 way contract. Yet he stayed there for 2 years and earned a spot in the NHL. You think he went through all that just so he could leave to the KHL for a few extra bucks?

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 12:23 AM
gravytrain6t

Korpikoski has bad wrists? I've never heard that before but if he does, that's his "bread and butter." He's got a wicked wrist shot and he can roof it. I like him and think Sather should bring him back. He's in no way a headache player, he's got lots of speed at around 200lb, a wicked wrist shot, can forecheck well, he's got a great defensive game, kills penalties, and I think in time, with the right line mates, he'll score more often.

To me he has the potential to be a terrific two way center man or play on the wing like his native country man Jere Lehtinen. Every team could use that type of player. And he's only 22 years old. Especially in the league today with teams having some real good scorers. It doesn't hurt to have a few forwards who are really good defensively.

Sjostrom proved to be an excellent defensive forward with lots of speed. You couldn't have a better pair of penalty killing forwards between he and Betts. But it seems like they both will be gone as well.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 12:26 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
he's got bad wrists, it makes it hard to consistently shoot the way he's capable of, at least that's what I hear. We've seen what a sniper he can be, just look back to his first game as a Ranger against the Penguins. He's got the skillset but lacks the ability to be consistant. On top of that though, he's not a guy that's going to quit and on a bad day he's still going to be a good player for you. I'd be happy with him on our 2nd line in the future.
Bad wrists? First I heard of that. You have a link? Or is this just BS hearsay?

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 01:16 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

I'm going to be very unhappy if Korpedo isn't on the opening day roster. Unless we flip him off for something that improves us.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 04:11 AM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
2004-05 TPS Turku FNL 41 0 6 6 12 6 1 0 1 0
2005-06 TPS Turku FNL 51 3 4 7 16 2 0 1 1 0
2005-06 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 5 2 1 3 0 11 1 0 1 2
2006-07 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 78 11 27 38 23 7 0 0 0 0
2007-08 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 79 23 27 50 71 5 1 1 2 0
2007-08 New York Rangers NHL -- -- -- -- -- 1 1 0 1 0
2008-09 New York Rangers NHL 68 6 8 14 14 7 0 2 2 0
2008-09 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 4 4 2 6 0 -- -- -- -- --
NHL Totals 68 6 8 14 14 8 1 2 3 0

This is talent? I look at him as a hard working player who's biggest asset is his speed. He is limited in an offensive roll and has showed that at almost every lvl he has played at except for one WJC tourny. IF he was to leave it would hurt our PK and thats really about it. He's replacable and should never have been a 1st round pick. I don't mind players asking for money and a higher contract but EARN it. If the KHL wants to give him 3 mill for most likely a 10 goal or less season then let them have at it.

You're not being fair. He was moved around a lot last yr and did alright. He's actually got one of the best wristers on our team. And has great speed and work ethic. So what if he doesn't become a 2nd liner. Is it so bad to be a hard working third liner who kills penalties well? That is what Callahan was projected as.

I see no reason why he can't score 15-20 goals next yr if given ideal ice-time. I'd put a beer on it if this franchise wasn't so foolish.

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart View Post
You're not being fair. He was moved around a lot last yr and did alright. He's actually got one of the best wristers on our team. And has great speed and work ethic. So what if he doesn't become a 2nd liner. Is it so bad to be a hard working third liner who kills penalties well? That is what Callahan was projected as.

I see no reason why he can't score 15-20 goals next yr if given ideal ice-time. I'd put a beer on it if this franchise wasn't so foolish.
Not trying to bash the player just being realistic with the expectations with him. When I see the word talent I think Kovalev, Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Jagr, ect......not Lauri Korpikoski. There is nothing wrong with a hard working 3rd line player which is how I see him being in his career, but was he a player worthy of such a hi selection in the draft? Thats debatable, I don't see many gm's and assistant gm's giving arm pumps when drafting 3rd line players in the first round myself but oh well.

I have REALISTIC expectations from him, a player who aside from ONE WJC tourny right before his draft has been offensively challenged in every league he has played in. IMO he has already earned too much in his first pro contract he should be giving us money back, not asking for more after not accomplishing much so far in his very short NHL career. Man everyone is so worried about Kotalik deal that we overpaid by 500k according to most cap experts on here but this kid is woth 2? He made over 1 in his last deal. Aside from the age difference I see no reason why Korp is okay to overpay by 500k and not Kotalik, a player who has showed he can score at the NHL level.

Old
07-11-2009, 10:35 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Not trying to bash the player just being realistic with the expectations with him. When I see the word talent I think Kovalev, Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Jagr, ect......not Lauri Korpikoski. There is nothing wrong with a hard working 3rd line player which is how I see him being in his career, but was he a player worthy of such a hi selection in the draft? Thats debatable, I don't see many gm's and assistant gm's giving arm pumps when drafting 3rd line players in the first round myself but oh well.

I have REALISTIC expectations from him, a player who aside from ONE WJC tourny right before his draft has been offensively challenged in every league he has played in. IMO he has already earned too much in his first pro contract he should be giving us money back, not asking for more after not accomplishing much so far in his very short NHL career. Man everyone is so worried about Kotalik deal that we overpaid by 500k according to most cap experts on here but this kid is woth 2? He made over 1 in his last deal. Aside from the age difference I see no reason why Korp is okay to overpay by 500k and not Kotalik, a player who has showed he can score at the NHL level.
Who the heck is talking about signing him for $2MM? We want to keep him - but at his QO or maybe a little off that for a multiyear deal.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Who the heck is talking about signing him for $2MM? We want to keep him - but at his QO or maybe a little off that for a multiyear deal.
Wasn't the whole point of this thread that the KHL is looking to sign him away? If they are you have to think they would offer him much more than his QO to tempt him to go there, they would most likely offer a deal 2-3 mil per. If Hudler was paid 5/season they will throw 2-3 at Korp.

Old
07-11-2009, 12:19 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Wasn't the whole point of this thread that the KHL is looking to sign him away? If they are you have to think they would offer him much more than his QO to tempt him to go there, they would most likely offer a deal 2-3 mil per. If Hudler was paid 5/season they will throw 2-3 at Korp.
What has he accomplished that he would be worth 2-3 million, even in the KHL?

The article said he was offered 1.5 million. There's no other source corroborating the story, nor is there any indication that he is even remotely considering it.

This whole thread is ridiculous. Barring a trade, Korp will be a Ranger this season. End of story.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Levitate

Someone on another board claims to have spoken to Korpikoski, who told him that he wasn't playing for the Rangers next year and it would be the KHL or SEL for reasons of "icetime and money"

I'm not terribly convinced though...he claims they go to the same gym, and he stated this the same day that the aftonbladet article came out but before people noticed it and translated it. I'm suspicious that he saw the article and ran with the idea.

we'll see..Korpikoski hasn't really done much to deserve more than his qualifying offer...if he wants more money and playing time he should just prove it on a one year contract.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote