HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ott-SJ

Old
07-09-2009, 02:13 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stempniaksen View Post
Heatley + Shubert

Marleau + Cheechoo

The salaries are pretty even in this trade, and the Sharks get back the sae number of roster players that they ship out. I'm not saying this is fair, but any deal can be worked around the cap, it just depends on what the GM's are willing to accept.
but the Heatley deal creates more problems next year as well.

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 02:50 AM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
but the Heatley deal creates more problems next year as well.
Ah, I can't say I'm up to date with the Sharks cap issues, but I was under the impression that the cap space freed up would be enough. Especially with Marleau coming off the books.

stempniaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 02:58 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stempniaksen View Post
Ah, I can't say I'm up to date with the Sharks cap issues, but I was under the impression that the cap space freed up would be enough. Especially with Marleau coming off the books.
well with Marleau coming off then they would have 1.2 million more in Heatley, Setoguchi and Pavelski are going to be RFA's and Nabokov's contract is over so they need to do something with that. Plus the cap might come down next year.

I just don't think the 2 make good trading partners. I mean, we can make the cap even going both ways but both teams still need to clear space and sign players.

Old
07-09-2009, 06:55 AM
baydrake
gutless performance

if san jose is pitching for heatley it's either centered around marleau or michalek+ehrhoff. with the former, something like heatley+smith for marleau+cheechoo seems generally agreeable.

with the latter, even assuming cheechoo is dealt elsewhere, SJ would need to shed more salary to fit heatley and marleau at the same time. not sure how high each org is on lee, campoli, and murray, but something more like campoli/picard/lee for lukowich/murray would be necessary for the sharks to fit under the cap...

the tightest fit is:
Heatley, Smith, Picard for Michalek, Ehrhoff, Lukowich+
SJ just barely affords 13f/7d/2g if they manage to sign 4 league minimum forwards (eek) and even if ottawa somehow agreed to add lee for lukowich+picks, SJ couldn't subsequently fit a full roster under the cap so we don't even have to consider that one.

the looser fit for SJ is:
Heatley, Smith, Picard/Lee/Campoli for Michalek, Ehrhoff, Murray(+?)
est. 1M in cap space for SJ all said and done if it's Campoli but i know ottawa is high on all of those guys.

i do balk a bit at letting murray go, even guessing that wilson considers picard, campoli, or lee are top-4 quality, since i love murray's physical play. in the end i suppose it's unlikely either of these scenarios play out but i think they are the only michalek+ehrhoff based proposals that will fit SJ under the salary cap =/

Last edited by baydrake: 07-09-2009 at 08:33 AM.
baydrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 07:08 AM
4thliner*

The 2 best players in this proposal are Alfredsson and Heatley and considerably. Add that even though Alfredsson is 36 he is a career Senator, the captain of the team, and still the teams best player despite Pezza and Heatley being much younger.

Cheechoo has been pretty bad IMO and I don't see why Ottawa wants to pay a guy who can't even score all of a sudden next to a set up guy in Thornton. Marleau's playoffs is concerning and I don't think he should be the captain. He hasn't shown that he can lead when the goin gets tough in the playoffs on a team that is a regular season champions. He also can be inconsistent in the regular season at times like the terrible regular season he turned in 2 years ago.

The question that needs to be asked is, how come SJ is not looking to move Thornton who is as big a choker as there is on that team? It is not only in SJ, he sucked in Boston as well come playoff time before they got rid of him.

Last edited by 4thliner*: 07-09-2009 at 07:14 AM.
4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 07:43 AM
tony d
Ours for next 7 yrs.

Daniel Alfredsson will never get traded so this deal is a no go from the start.

tony d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 08:57 AM
heatley_fan*

People get way too emotionally attached to players. Hockey is a business first of all. If the right deal comes along, any player can and should be moved. Not to mention Alfie is in the twilight of his career. Personaly I think this is a good trade for the Sens, even if it means parting ways with Alfie

heatley_fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 09:01 AM
The Chef*

why doesn't ottawa throw in Spezza while we're at it.

The Chef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Flamingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spanky View Post
People get way too emotionally attached to players. Hockey is a business first of all. If the right deal comes along, any player can and should be moved. Not to mention Alfie is in the twilight of his career. Personaly I think this is a good trade for the Sens, even if it means parting ways with Alfie
Sports fans are all about emotional attachment. Let's forget for a moment that trading Alfie is likely a bad hockey trade for Ottawa.

Hockey as a business is an entertainment product. If your customer draw is partially based on favourite players, keeping them is part of your business plan. I don't think this trade improves that draw in the least.

Granted, championships make the best hockey entertainment, but I don't think losing Alfie makes sense for this team at all.

Duh.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 11:13 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
The 2 best players in this proposal are Alfredsson and Heatley and considerably. Add that even though Alfredsson is 36 he is a career Senator, the captain of the team, and still the teams best player despite Pezza and Heatley being much younger.

Cheechoo has been pretty bad IMO and I don't see why Ottawa wants to pay a guy who can't even score all of a sudden next to a set up guy in Thornton. Marleau's playoffs is concerning and I don't think he should be the captain. He hasn't shown that he can lead when the goin gets tough in the playoffs on a team that is a regular season champions. He also can be inconsistent in the regular season at times like the terrible regular season he turned in 2 years ago.

The question that needs to be asked is, how come SJ is not looking to move Thornton who is as big a choker as there is on that team? It is not only in SJ, he sucked in Boston as well come playoff time before they got rid of him.
you could probably watch more Sharks hockey, that would help you actually understand the players a little more

Old
07-09-2009, 11:27 AM
hockeyball

Marleau does in fact always show up when the team needs it the most. He is easily the most clutch player we have. The problem is he can't get anyone ELSE going. He's not a motivating captain, and so you are right, he should not be. He was pretty crippled these last playoffs by a pulled MCL and he still scored the only 2 gwg's.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote