HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal makeover: Are the Canadiens the best in the Northeast?

Old
07-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Megaforce

vCash: 500

After seeing the Bruins' most recent team photo I think we'll be able to keep up with them.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Ace0813
Bleed Black & Gold

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Ace0813
Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
Thomas has been nothing but great since coming into the league, I don't see him declining like some have suggested, but didn't you guys just sign another goalie, Sabborin right? Would that suggest another year in the minors for Rask? How would Rask's bonus' affect your cap in a back-up role? Just curious, I ask in peace.

Yeah we signed Sabourin. Im not the most educated person on capology, so I am not sure about Tuukka's bonuses on the cap.. I believe Tuukka will be on Boston though.. He has waited far too long to get his chance, and if he isn't put on the team you can say goodbye to him.. whether its to another franchise or Europe. I think the Bruins brass doesn't feel that Kevin Regan is ready to be the number one guy in Providence, and the Sabourin signing is a depth one.

Ace0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Ace0813
Bleed Black & Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post

After seeing the Bruins' most recent team photo I think we'll be able to keep up with them.
Witty

I have expected better quality photoshops from you guys though..
Some of them are freakin' hilarious.

Old
07-09-2009, 04:02 PM
CPrice

I think we should have a thread on best team's in the East.
I'm a little concerned with:

Boston- Underachieved in the playoffs, but had a really good season.

Philly- with the addition of Pronger, the guy is just badass all around player.

Pittsburgh- Cup champs, might not be as motivated but there star players can easily win games single handedly and gained huge experience with the cup.

Personally, i think Philly might be the top team in the East this year.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 04:11 PM
nfld77

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
Thomas has been nothing but great since coming into the league, I don't see him declining like some have suggested, but didn't you guys just sign another goalie, Sabborin right? Would that suggest another year in the minors for Rask? How would Rask's bonus' affect your cap in a back-up role? Just curious, I ask in peace.
Pretty certain Sabburin was brought in for insurance purposes in case Rask or TT go down to injury. Rask will definitely begin the season in Boston.

nfld77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 04:21 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

We're not even the best team in Montreal

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfld77 View Post
Pretty certain Sabburin was brought in for insurance purposes in case Rask or TT go down to injury. Rask will definitely begin the season in Boston.
Just curious, didn't know that the plans were, thanks.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 04:48 PM
airlouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
I think that the team assembled with the youngsters on the fringe and some cap space at the deadline to fill hole(s) this team can finnish in the top 5 in the East.

The core is there and the offence is there thats for sure.

Lats and Patches with bigger roles, I like it.

The core is there? Which core do you see? I respect your opinion but in my point of view, Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay and Markov were the core and now only Andrei still there.

This new assemble team must find a chemistry at the beginnig of the season...very fast if they want to compete against the big guns : Bruins, Flyers, Penguins , Caps! Hell, even Tampa Bay look stronger than the Habs.

Well, we have to keep the Faith

airlouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 05:16 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Link doesn't work.

And I'm sure they didn't consult Jack Edwards before writing this article.
I'm not so sure, this article is kinda giving us "the reach around" too.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Price is younger and has a better potential. The only thing LeClaire proved is that he had one good season under a defensive minded team in Hitchcock, so Ottawa has a bigger IF in net than we do. Also...Heatley>>Kovalev, so already there it's not an improvement, not at all. Heatley won't stay and you know it.
Not trolling or anything, but in the case of Leclaire vs. Price, one good season is better than no good season. They were both selected high, Leclaire being further in his devellopment. Yes, there's a question mark in goal for us this season, but it's more due to injury. Price is still a question mark in that can he turn into a legitimate top notch #1 goalie in this league. I find that Gainey didn't deal well with Price in bringing him to be a number 1 too soon. Sure, it works for Mason and others, but Montreal will chew you up and spit you out, and you have to be tough mentally to handle and Price hasn't showed that thus far.

And yes, Heatley is better than Kovalev. So far, we have both. And if we do deal Heatley, we can add a top 6 forward and puck moving defenseman in one shot. So with or without Heatley, doesn't really matter.

But I hope you're right and that he won't stay. Hate the ****er!

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:38 AM
la25ecoupe

Can we sign Kessel?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Can we sign Kessel?
To an offer sheet yes,but it would have to be over 5.2 milion I think or if under we would need to trade and acquire a 3rd round pick.Bruins would most probably match and trade someone but yes it would be a great way to screw them up big time and years to come

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Habsfanatical

The way I see it is this.. The year after we finished 1st overall.. Well we dont need to bring up last year do we? hahaha.. ALL of our younger guys who had break out seasons took a HUGE step or two back.. same thing may or may not happen in boston..

Habsfanatical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
Also...Heatley>>Kovalev, so already there it's not an improvement, not at all. Heatley won't stay and you know it.
Since Heatley was not traded for Kovalev, and since he's not a UFA one is not directly replacing other -- there's still obviously the matter of what Heatley will bring back in a trade to factor in. In spite of the effect that a public trade request has on a player's value, he still may very well net a massive return (revisit the Yashin deal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfld77 View Post
Someone asked me why I'm on the Habs board being a Bruin fan!!

Easy to answer. You are our biggest and best rivalry. It's not Bruins hockey unless you're playing the Habs. Plus, I come on here every so often and with respect for the Habs organization and their fans, including the ones here. I don't troll, insult or brag about Bruin season last year.

Over this year and last, I've had some terrific hockey yarns here with some real good people and extremely knowledgable when it comes to the NHL..

All Bruin fans are not rude. Like all teams, they have some less than desirable fans to chat with.
Quote:
Yet when we go to your board we are automatically troll, so just leave.
The guy was being friendly. What's the big deal? If you don't like the way you're treated on other boards, then don't mimic the worst behaviour you've experienced there. Personally i like it when there's a little bit of the 'outside' voices, and I appreciate it when I'm on other boards and I'm treated respectfully.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Genghis Keon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
Not trolling or anything, but in the case of Leclaire vs. Price, one good season is better than no good season. They were both selected high, Leclaire being further in his devellopment. Yes, there's a question mark in goal for us this season, but it's more due to injury. Price is still a question mark in that can he turn into a legitimate top notch #1 goalie in this league. I find that Gainey didn't deal well with Price in bringing him to be a number 1 too soon. Sure, it works for Mason and others, but Montreal will chew you up and spit you out, and you have to be tough mentally to handle and Price hasn't showed that thus far.
Even with Price's bad season, I don't think you can really call Leclaire better in any real sense of the word.

Let's look at what Leclaire's done since entering the league (for more than a cup of coffee):

GP-12 W-4 L-6 OTL-1 GAA-3.83 SV%-0.867
GP-54 W-24 L-17 OTL-6 GAA-2.25 SV%-0.919
GP-24 W-6 L-15 OTL-2 GAA-2.97 SV%-0.897
GP-33 W-11 L-15 OTL-3 GAA-3.23 SV%-0.911

Now let's look at Price:

GP-52 W-23 L-16 OTL-10 GAA-2.83 SV%-0.905
GP-41 W-24 L-12 OTL-3 GAA-2.56 SV%-0.920

Price had a disastrous season where he completely falls apart for half the year (and this collapse directly coincides with coming back from a stint on the DL, not just falling apart out of the blue) and it's still significantly better than what Leclaire has done in two of his four seasons and is only slightly worse than Leclaire's second best season (Price has a better winning percentage, considerably lower GAA, but a marginally worse save percentage). Their best years, which happened in the same year, are pretty equal (Price has the better winning percentage, Leclaire has the better GAA, save percentage is a wash).

Leclaire is just as much a question mark in terms of play on the ice as Price is (and is probably more of a question mark due to his inconsistency even in a defensive system) and a significantly bigger question mark in terms of injury history.

Genghis Keon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis Keon View Post
Let's look at what Leclaire's done since entering the league (for more than a cup of coffee):

GP-12 W-4 L-6 OTL-1 GAA-3.83 SV%-0.867
GP-54 W-24 L-17 OTL-6 GAA-2.25 SV%-0.919
GP-24 W-6 L-15 OTL-2 GAA-2.97 SV%-0.897
GP-33 W-11 L-15 OTL-3 GAA-3.23 SV%-0.911

Now let's look at Price:

GP-52 W-23 L-16 OTL-10 GAA-2.83 SV%-0.905
GP-41 W-24 L-12 OTL-3 GAA-2.56 SV%-0.920
Numbers aside, I have a feeling that LeClaire will become a household name by the end of the year in the East.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Ace0813
Bleed Black & Gold

Peter Chiarelli just announced that Phil Kessel is returning to the Bruins. It is in NESN.com. No details yet, figured I would tell you all due to the fact there was some mentioning of sending him a contract sheet.

Old
07-10-2009, 12:31 PM
suprez

2007-2008

Expert 1:The habs won't make the playoff
Expert 2: No chance in Hell

Habs Finish FIrst in the East

2008-2009

Expert 1:The habs are stanley cup Material
Expert 2: Aye ..

Habs Barely made the playoff , tied with the 9th postion in points.

2009-2010

Expert1: The habs are so tiny .. Gomez? Gionta?Callameri? Geez .. They're done
Expert2: yeah Komisarek kovalev were so awesome and God Koivu could split the ocean by himself.What a mistake!
Expert1:Geez why they did so bad during the season?
Expert2:They had flu
Expert1:So true ... GOD KOVALEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV .. geez i can't beleive they let god run awau!
Expert:2 Yeah!! and Komisarek was so awesome!! Even though he missed most of the season and after could not even make a decent hit
Expert1:hey we're expert here..We analyse for the bruins fans !!!!
Expert2: true

suprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Mats NAslund

The real keys to the Montreal Canadiens doing well first and foremost lay in the hands of Carey Price followed by Andrei Kostitsyn and Guillaume Latendresse.

Price needs to bring his game to a more consistent level. He doesn't have to be dominant but must be consistent so that the team in front of him continues to believe in him.

Andrei K. needs to improve and jump to that next level of scoring. He'll also need to be consistent with scoring as he will looked upon for that secondary scoring that was missing last year.

Latendresse needs discover what he is...Power forward? If so he needs to start driving to the net with authority.

This is truly a year where some of the fringe guys need to step up.

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 02:03 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Latendresse needs discover what he is...Power forward? If so he needs to start driving to the net with authority.
I'd say "physical goal-scorer" is what he's been highly successful at since his rookie year (whether that's what you call a "power forward" or not).

That never seemed to make Carbonneau or fans happy though.

Last edited by MathMan: 07-10-2009 at 02:10 PM.
MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
its lookin better everyday

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

I can't believe some people, mainly, Ottawa fans, think that all of a sudden their team will be better. The problem wasn't their goalie per se, it was the defense in front of it. Not good at transition and making a good first pass. Leclair won't change much to that, and I'd like to remind everyone that Leclair had ONE great season, under Hitchcock...

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 03:49 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
its lookin better everyday
hell yeah.

I originally said 2nd to Boons in the division and anywhere from 5th to 8th in the Conference. (Philly being 4th)

Now I'm thinking, with the addition of Mara and potentially Moen, we're gonna give a HARD time to both the Flyers and the Boons... so I'm thinking it's anywhere between 1-5 (realistically, I wouldn't say 1, but most Cup winners have slumps the year after, so if both Boston and Pitts falters, the 1st is open for both MTL and Philly)

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Cmillz

I'd be surprised if Montreal makes the playoffs.

Gratz on Moen however, there's your best signing so far.

Cmillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmillz View Post
I'd be surprised if Montreal makes the playoffs.

Gratz on Moen however, there's your best signing so far.
I'd be surprised if your bias didn't come in the way of your analysis...

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote