HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oil clinch......9th

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2004, 11:07 PM
Tanko

vCash: 500
Oil clinch......9th

Kings eliminated with loss tonite.

Old
03-29-2004, 11:16 PM
canadave

Tough finish for Andy Murray and his boys. They really did an amazing job...going to be interesting to see how they do next year (standard lockout disclaimer) when they get all their people healthy. I still think they need a goalie upgrade though....

Dave

Old
03-29-2004, 11:35 PM
nineteen79

Apparentley they are going to walk away from Jason Allison at the end of the season.To bad for Andy Murray though

Old
03-29-2004, 11:42 PM
KFO

jason allison is a pretty sad story, hes healthy and hes in the top 5 in nhl scoring

Old
03-30-2004, 12:07 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Hat's off to Andy Murray who did an absolutely amazing job in coaching team bandage. A class guy who never made excuse and got the best out of his team.

L.A.'s loss will hopefully be Team Canada's gain as a member of coach Q's staff.

Old
03-30-2004, 12:10 AM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94forlife
jason allison is a pretty sad story, hes healthy and hes in the top 5 in nhl scoring
Might be some sourness there though as it is my understanding he has been medically cleared to play for some time now. IMO it should be the players call not the doctors but it seemed like the Kings were agitated by him continuing to sit out while being cleared to play.

Old
03-30-2004, 01:24 AM
streetballer03

Oilers should go after Allisson for 2-3 million if Veronika won't let Petr stay haha

Old
03-30-2004, 01:27 AM
USC Trojans
AD

ah well. In my yahoo fantasy hockey league, I drafted Allison and Deadmarsh in the later rounds and thought I had a steal...turns out I dumped them a month into the season.

Old
03-30-2004, 01:31 AM
streetballer03

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
ah well. In my yahoo fantasy hockey league, I drafted Allison and Deadmarsh in the later rounds and thought I had a steal...turns out I dumped them a month into the season.
ouch. I actually tried to draft Allisson in the second round in my yahoo league but the guy 2 spots ahead of him took Allison and i ended up with Datsyuk. hahaha i was preeety ticked off at the time but i guess it worked out for me.

Old
03-30-2004, 08:33 AM
Oilhitch

Too bad for the Kings.

I cant help but remember the game against LA when the Oilers were up 3-1 (?????? if I remember correctly) going into the 3rd period and lost 4-3 in regulation. If the Oilers would have just won that game............

Old
03-30-2004, 08:39 AM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilhitch
Too bad for the Kings.

I cant help but remember the game against LA when the Oilers were up 3-1 (?????? if I remember correctly) going into the 3rd period and lost 4-3 in regulation. If the Oilers would have just won that game............
Up 3-2 in the last minute, LA pulls Cechmanek, ties it up, then scores with 5 seconds left...I remember that night well, this board was crazy.

I have to admit I'm glad we got revenge vs. the Kings after that game. That loss was too much to take. I was absolutely stunned. And angry.

Old
03-30-2004, 08:43 AM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

It was Smyth who made what I consider the worst play of the year by an Oiler... trying for an en goal. Then MacT doesn't put out a second center, and LA ties it up if I recall correctly. I think that was the low point of the year for me... I was so angry with MacT and Smyth.

Old
03-30-2004, 09:33 AM
canadave

You know, a lot of people have pointed out how awful Smyth's play for the EN goal was....in his defence, if he buries it in the centre of the net, no one says a word. Yes, I know, the "safe" play is to go off the boards without icing it, but to try for an EN goal to seal the victory isn't necessarily the worst play on earth--it's not like he was being greedy and solely wanted to get another goal to pad his stats. He had a look, probably thought he had a good chance to get it in, and unfortunately he just happened to miss. If he buries it, we'd have all clapped him on the back and said "Great move."

Last edited by canadave: 03-30-2004 at 09:39 AM.
Old
03-30-2004, 09:40 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadave
You know, a lot of people have pointed out how awful Smyth's play for the EN goal was....in his defence, if he buries it in the centre of the net, no one says a word. Yes, I know, the "safe" play is to go off the boards without icing it, but to try for an EN goal to seal the victory isn't necessarily the worst play on earth--it's not like he was being greedy and solely wanted to get another goal to pad his stats. He had a look, probably thought he had a good chance to get it in, and unfortunately he just happened to miss. If he buries it, we'd have all clapped him on the back and said "Great move."

Dave
It is still a stupid move... regardless of whether it goes in or not. No, trying for an EN goal is not bad, but firing it from behind centre when you can make a smart play by lightly flipping it in (or even getting over centre first) is a bad play. It's like in basketball when the point guard leads the rush up the court and pulls up on a 27 foot 3 pointer with 19 seconds on the shot clock... if it goes in it's easier to swallow, but if it misses it's a dumb play.

Old
03-30-2004, 09:42 AM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadave

Dave
Well, if we are guilty of patting people on the back after scoring on an en without crossing center ice, then I think we should stop it. I don't think it deserves much congratulation, as I really do think its a bone head play...

I do agree with you that the play was not selfish, but I do think it was dumb. If I recall correctly, he was off balance, at his own blue line, so its not as if it was just unlucky that he missed... it was a long shot at best.

Old
03-30-2004, 09:47 AM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetballer03
ouch. I actually tried to draft Allisson in the second round in my yahoo league but the guy 2 spots ahead of him took Allison and i ended up with Datsyuk. hahaha i was preeety ticked off at the time but i guess it worked out for me.
I drafted him 3rd round (33rd overall) in my league. It hurt. Hurt somethin' fierce.

Closed Thread