HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kennedy, Gerbe look to fill job openings

Old
07-09-2009, 05:41 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2635
Kennedy, Gerbe look to fill job openings

Quote:
LEWISTON It doesn't take a math wizard to figure out the Buffalo Sabres have openings on their roster. Dominic Moore and Maxim Afinogenov have departed, and fellow forwards Matt Ellis and Andrew Peters have yet to be re-signed. Subtract four from the season-finale squad, and the Sabres have four spots to fill.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/728108.html
Although much has been made of the defense getting younger, it's a good bet that the Sabres will carry three rookie forwards on the roster. For Gerbe and Kennedy it may already be their jobs to lose. Gogulla, Kassian, and Mancari also have a shot. Mancari may not see a better opportunity than he's going to get this season. The door is wide open for him if he's brings a physical game.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 06:02 AM
BritSabre

vCash: 500
Mancari should be able to lock up that 4th line RW spot. If he can't, he's not going to pass through waivers after his AHL figures last season. Pretty much the same situation Thorburn was in a couple of years back.

BritSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 06:30 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Mancari could be a (very) cheap option for a depth forward spot.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 08:01 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Mancari just isn't an NHL forward. I doubt anyone would claim him.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 08:33 AM
ohheyimmark

If Mancari could play physical, I'd like him on the fourth line so we could use him as the trigger man on the second powerplay unit.

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 08:40 AM
Jame
Dream '16

I think Mancari has a great chance to make the team if he decides he wants to be an NHLer. He's not going to be an offensive player in the bigs. If he decides to play his size, be a mean SOB, and start dropping the gloves when needed... he could be a valuable 12/13 forward. But he has to accept his limitations and embrace the role that players of his ability have to embrace

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I think Mancari has a great chance to make the team if he decides he wants to be an NHLer. He's not going to be an offensive player in the bigs. If he decides to play his size, be a mean SOB, and start dropping the gloves when needed... he could be a valuable 12/13 forward. But he has to accept his limitations and embrace the role that players of his ability have to embrace
My thoughts exactly. He's going to have to accept his role as a banger. If he can chip in ten goals, too, that's gravy. His shot could also help the second PP unit, as mentioned by rockstar. And he's cheap. I hope the motivation of being on a NHL roster is enough to convince him that he has to adapt his game.

Old
07-09-2009, 09:02 AM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar2866 View Post
If Mancari could play physical, I'd like him on the fourth line so we could use him as the trigger man on the second powerplay unit.
Quote:
If he hasn't already, why would he now? It's not one of those things you can easily add to your game.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
If he hasn't already, why would he now? It's not one of those things you can easily add to your game.
Yeah, I see him as purely the Pirates version of Jody Gage -- stable offensive producer off the wing.

It wouldn't surprise if Kennedy, Gerbe, or Gogulla are up to start the year.

07-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Kruschiki

OK read, but adds nothing to clear up the picture of who and how many rookies make it on the roster out of camp. It's really not the Sabres style to have more than one or two rookies on the roster to start the season. My guess is that Regier will fill out the empty spots with some cheap veteran signings.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 10:20 AM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

The fact that The Buffalo News even mentions Peters makes me wonder if they even watch games.

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2635
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
I don't really think Peters has it in his nature either. But he was smart enough to figure out that opportunities to make $500K a year are few and far between.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Paradigm

Let's just throw Gerbe-Kennedy-Mancari out there as our third line. They had chemistry down in Portland.

Cheapest line ever.

Paradigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Reddawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
Let's just throw Gerbe-Kennedy-Mancari out there as our third line. They had chemistry down in Portland.

Cheapest line ever.
I like it.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Sabreality

i'm personally rooting for Gogulla, although i'm sure Darcy and Co. would like to get him time in Portland first...i'm not sure Mancari is ever going to make it and would think Kennedy has the inside track as a bottom 6 guy. i dont think Gerbe helps us down there, if Nate impresses could he be 2LW with Mac on the 3rd line?

Sabreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
i'm personally rooting for Gogulla, although i'm sure Darcy and Co. would like to get him time in Portland first...i'm not sure Mancari is ever going to make it and would think Kennedy has the inside track as a bottom 6 guy. i dont think Gerbe helps us down there, if Nate impresses could he be 2LW with Mac on the 3rd line?
I can't wait to see Gogulla, even in Portland. He is the Hecht replacement if we can ever dump Hecht.

Mancari will be given every opportunity. And I expect most of the other rookies to be sent down at the start... why? because they can be. Mancari will be league minimum while guys like Gerbe will make 400K more at the NHL level. If Mancari doesn't cut it through the first few weeks, he'll be waived.

Gerbe passing MacArthur on the depth chart would be a complete shock to me. MacArthur proved a lot last year, and is still in the early stages of his NHL development. They aren't going to stunt that by forcing a youngster past him. That's not their style.

Old
07-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
I can't wait to see Gogulla, even in Portland. He is the Hecht replacement if we can ever dump Hecht.

Mancari will be given every opportunity. And I expect most of the other rookies to be sent down at the start... why? because they can be. Mancari will be league minimum while guys like Gerbe will make 400K more at the NHL level. If Mancari doesn't cut it through the first few weeks, he'll be waived.

Gerbe passing MacArthur on the depth chart would be a complete shock to me. MacArthur proved a lot last year, and is still in the early stages of his NHL development. They aren't going to stunt that by forcing a youngster past him. That's not their style.
good points, especially contract wise, i forgot Mancari is out of options.

i'm a big fan of Mac and agree he is ready for a breakout, but i dont necessarily think it has to come on the 2nd line. I thought his 2-way play was outstanding at the end of the season, being more responsible at both ends could help engage his offensive game, which is why i wouldnt shudder at a mac-hecht-goose 3rd line...i dont think Sleepy Stafford compliments MacArthurs game.

Old
07-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
good points, especially contract wise, i forgot Mancari is out of options.

i'm a big fan of Mac and agree he is ready for a breakout, but i dont necessarily think it has to come on the 2nd line. I thought his 2-way play was outstanding at the end of the season, being more responsible at both ends could help engage his offensive game, which is why i wouldnt shudder at a mac-hecht-goose 3rd line...i dont think Sleepy Stafford compliments MacArthurs game.
i think Mac's defensive game is his biggest weakness, he looks lost in the d zone too often. he's got Derek Roy syndrome... to much hustle leaves him out of position too often.

more likely is that Ruff effs up, and reunites Vanek-Roy-Stafford, since Mac-Connolly-Poms was on fire throughout the final month.

Old
07-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Sabreality

yeah, well hopefully he can settle down a bit in his own zone, the hustle and drive are at least there...i'm not sure how to put these lines together anymore

Old
07-09-2009, 03:14 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Has Mancari ever showed any physical ability? Seems as though many are hoping he plays a physical role because he's big.

He's big, yes, but he's also garb tarb
Posted via Mobile Device

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Has Mancari ever showed any physical ability? Seems as though many are hoping he plays a physical role because he's big.

Posted via Mobile Device
i like Buffaloed's comment... it's amazing what a guy can find a way to do when hundreds of thousands of dollars are on the line.

If he is the 12th forward in Buffalo, i believe the coaching staff will make it abundantly clear what is expected of him. It's not like he's a high draft pick. This is his one, and possibly only shot... or he's back to making 30 a year in the AHL for awhile.

I'd like to see him get the chance. like i said, if after a few weeks its not what we need. then waive him and move on... no big deal. but let's atleast give him the shot to see if he can use that 6'4 professional frame to play some NHL hockey.

Old
07-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Zip15

I didn't think Mancari was bad in his call-up last year. He scored a goal and he had some good chances. He's competent offensively and, if he accepts his role as a banger, would be a good add to the roster as a 12th-14th forward.

Old
07-10-2009, 12:30 AM
Shmuffalo
Jack Eichel Fan

I don't see how Kassian could possibly play up here. Wouldn't he need to sign a contract? I'm thinking it will be a year or two. Looking forward to more Gerbe and Kennedy though. They have chemistry together, so playing them on a line together may work out.

Shmuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 01:33 AM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
Yup.

Mancari is not NHL material. If he ever has a regular spot on the Sabres, I think I might throw up.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:51 AM
joshjull

Quote:
i think Mac's defensive game is his biggest weakness, he looks lost in the d zone too often. he's got Derek Roy syndrome... to much hustle leaves him out of position too often.

more likely is that Ruff effs up, and reunites Vanek-Roy-Stafford, since Mac-Connolly-Poms was on fire throughout the final month.
If Ruff uses those lines next year.

I would be amazed if Vanek/Roy/Stafford struggled again as a unit. Especially if Mac/Connolly/Pommer played like they did at the end of the year.

Last edited by joshjull: 07-10-2009 at 09:58 AM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote