HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread Index and Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Prospect Thread Index and Discussion

Time to get rid of some stickies. We can also use this thread for 2009-10 general prospect discussion.

Sabres 2009 Draft Threads
Sabres Draft Day
The Draft Thread ‎( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
First Round Pick Zack Kassian RW ‎( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
Third-Round selection: Brayden McNabb (D - Kootenay Ice, WHL)
Fourth Round - Marcus Foligno LW
Fifth-Rounder: Mark Adams (D - Malden Catholic, USHS)
Sixth Round Connor Knapp - G
Seventh Round - Maxime Legault RW

Prospect Camp: July 6-10, Dwyer Arena (NU Campus)
‎( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
WJC Camps - Updates and Chatter Here

Last edited by Chainshot: 08-25-2009 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Edit - WJC Camps
Old
07-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Husko

vCash: 500
Ok. What can you guys tell me about Fienhage and Tropp. They seem to be two guys who can, down the road, really add a physical element to our lower tier guys. I'm really looking forward to seeing them a few years down the road. Is Fienhage as nasty as I've heard?

Old
07-24-2009, 01:17 PM
mgeise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
Ok. What can you guys tell me about Fienhage and Tropp. They seem to be two guys who can, down the road, really add a physical element to our lower tier guys. I'm really looking forward to seeing them a few years down the road. Is Fienhage as nasty as I've heard?
To be honest, I don't think Tropp will ever make the NHL. He has some skills, but he isn't talented enough offensively to make it as a top six forward and doesn't have the size/physicality/all-around game to carve out a niche as a bottom six forward.

Fienhage, though I haven't seen him much, doesn't appear to have any glaring weaknesses. He will never be confused with Brian Campbell in terms of skating or offensive ability, but I think those areas of his game are good enough to make it as a bottom-pairing defenseman down the road. I haven't seen enough of him to know how nasty he is on a consistent basis, but he does love to go for the hit.

Hopefully someone who has seen a little more of these guys can give.a better/more detailed assessment.

Old
08-07-2009, 06:35 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

I know he isn't a Sabres prospect anymore, but just to let you know Buffalo did a good thing not signing him... Jean-Simon Allard decided to not play in the CHL next year. He says there's too much pressure at this level. He's gonna play for his hometown team in the new Quebec Collegial AAA league. If he thinks there's too much pressure at the junior level, does he really think he would have been able to play in the AHL/NHL ?

Some kids just have no hearth and no backbones...

Old
08-21-2009, 03:58 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Andrew Orpik officially became an UFA on August 15th. I still expect him to be at camp next month playing for a contract.

Old
08-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Rammstein816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
Andrew Orpik officially became an UFA on August 15th. I still expect him to be at camp next month playing for a contract.
That's cool. I figure he has a decent chance to get an AHL contract. I consider him and Turnbull to be very close in potential.

Old
08-25-2009, 01:32 AM
mgeise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
I know he isn't a Sabres prospect anymore, but just to let you know Buffalo did a good thing not signing him... Jean-Simon Allard decided to not play in the CHL next year. He says there's too much pressure at this level. He's gonna play for his hometown team in the new Quebec Collegial AAA league. If he thinks there's too much pressure at the junior level, does he really think he would have been able to play in the AHL/NHL ?

Some kids just have no hearth and no backbones...
That's very odd, and I now definitely believe that Regier made the right decision in not signing him. He was a decent center prospect with some size and ability, and those qualities are hard to come by in our system. It takes mental toughness and fortitude to make it to the NHL, though, and some kids just don't have it.

Old
08-25-2009, 01:34 AM
mgeise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
That's cool. I figure he has a decent chance to get an AHL contract. I consider him and Turnbull to be very close in potential.
He will almost certainly be there and I agree with you. He should get an AHL contract and be a solid addition to the 4th line in Portland along with Turnbull and (most likely) Legault.

Old
08-25-2009, 01:54 AM
Rammstein816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleta36 View Post
He will almost certainly be there and I agree with you. He should get an AHL contract and be a solid addition to the 4th line in Portland along with Turnbull and (most likely) Legault.
For what it is worth, Bakes reported on his site that Legault is in training camp with his junior team. Why can't Darcy just sign him and Ennis already, why does he have to drag this out?

Old
08-25-2009, 06:50 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
For what it is worth, Bakes reported on his site that Legault is in training camp with his junior team. Why can't Darcy just sign him and Ennis already, why does he have to drag this out?
The kids reporting to their junior camps are a good thing, gives them some extra ice time and conditioning. Darcy will be waiting to see how they perform in camp before giving them a contract, both have junior eligibility left so it makes no sense to pay them if they're not going to be able to earn steady ice time professionally.

Old
08-25-2009, 08:32 AM
Marco Corleone

Jordon Southorn has been suspended by the PEI Rocket.

Quote:
The Rocket also announced today that Jordon Southorn has been suspended by the team for disciplinary reasons. The situation will be re-evaluated when Southorn has completed his involvement in the Buffalo Sabres training camp.
http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/index.cfm?sid=280828&sc=99

Old
08-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Corleone View Post
Jordon Southorn has been suspended by the PEI Rocket.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/index.cfm?sid=280828&sc=99
****. Is this a continuation of his issue from last year with the coach?

08-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Marco Corleone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
****. Is this a continuation of his issue from last year with the coach?
The Rocket played at home Saturday. They were scheduled to travel to Halifax Sunday to play the Mooseheads. Apparently, Southorn went out Saturday night and broke curfew. The Rocket brass found out and decided to take a stand early on and suspend Jordon. Im sure they are counting on Southorn to be a leader on and off the ice this season, as he is 19, and could/should be his last year of Major Junior hockey. Breaking curfew on a night before a game is not something im sure they were expecting from him, or anyone else this early on into camp. The coach decided to make an example out of him to let the team know that this type of behavior will not tolerated this season. As far as I know, that's the gist of it.

Old
08-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
The Rocket played at home Saturday. They were scheduled to travel to Halifax Sunday to play the Mooseheads. Apparently, Southorn went out Saturday night and broke curfew. The Rocket brass found out and decided to take a stand early on and suspend Jordon. Im sure they are counting on Southorn to be a leader on and off the ice this season, as he is 19, and could/should be his last year of Major Junior hockey. Breaking curfew on a night before a game is not something im sure they were expecting from him, or anyone else this early on into camp. The coach decided to make an example out of him to let the team know that this type of behavior will not tolerated this season. As far as I know, that's the gist of it.
Thanks for the info.

Old
08-25-2009, 11:24 AM
mgeise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
The kids reporting to their junior camps are a good thing, gives them some extra ice time and conditioning. Darcy will be waiting to see how they perform in camp before giving them a contract, both have junior eligibility left so it makes no sense to pay them if they're not going to be able to earn steady ice time professionally.
This makes a lot of sense. Let them get as much ice time as possible and see if they are ready for professional hockey. I hope Ennis doesn't stay in juniors another year to avoid using up a year of his entry level deal primarily in the minors, as I'd much prefer him to have a year of professional hockey under his belt before challenging for a regular spot in the lineup in 2009-10. He has outgrown juniors (no joke intended).

Old
08-25-2009, 11:37 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
This makes a lot of sense. Let them get as much ice time as possible and see if they are ready for professional hockey. I hope Ennis doesn't stay in juniors another year to avoid using up a year of his entry level deal primarily in the minors, as I'd much prefer him to have a year of professional hockey under his belt before challenging for a regular spot in the lineup in 2009-10. He has outgrown juniors (no joke intended).
Has Ennis even signed yet? If he hasn't and they're waiting to see how he responds to this year's training camp then he's not going to waste a year if he's not signed.

Old
08-25-2009, 03:46 PM
mgeise

Quote:
Has Ennis even signed yet? If he hasn't and they're waiting to see how he responds to this year's training camp then he's not going to waste a year if he's not signed.
I probably worded my post oddly, but I meant that I hope that Regier doesn't leave Ennis in juniors opposed to signing him and having him spend a year in the minors. I could see Regier leaving him in juniors so that when we do sign him he is more NHL ready and won't waste as much of his entry level contract developing in the minors. I'd rather them sign him, allow him to develop at the professional level for a year, and "use up" a year of his entry level deal. Is that a little more clear? I re-read my last post and I probably would have interpreted it the same way that you did.

Old
08-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
I probably worded my post oddly, but I meant that I hope that Regier doesn't leave Ennis in juniors opposed to signing him and having him spend a year in the minors. I could see Regier leaving him in juniors so that when we do sign him he is more NHL ready and won't waste as much of his entry level contract developing in the minors. I'd rather them sign him, allow him to develop at the professional level for a year, and "use up" a year of his entry level deal. Is that a little more clear? I re-read my last post and I probably would have interpreted it the same way that you did.
The issue I see is that it makes no sense to sign him if he isn't ready to contribute right now, and what I mean by that is playing a regular top 6 shift in the AHL. We saw what happened when they signed Novotny too early and it set back his development as he didn't get sufficient minutes to continue developing. Zagrapan is another prospect that they signed and then saw him hardly play his first season.

Old
08-25-2009, 04:41 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
The issue I see is that it makes no sense to sign him if he isn't ready to contribute right now, and what I mean by that is playing a regular top 6 shift in the AHL. We saw what happened when they signed Novotny too early and it set back his development as he didn't get sufficient minutes to continue developing. Zagrapan is another prospect that they signed and then saw him hardly play his first season.
That can be attributed to dual affiliation more than anything for Zagrapan.

Old
08-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
That can be attributed to dual affiliation more than anything for Zagrapan.
Dual afflilation or not, he still received less playing time that his peers because he wasn't mentally or physically ready to compete at the AHL level. We'll never know if an extra year have made that much of a difference.

Old
08-26-2009, 12:06 AM
Marco Corleone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Thanks for the info.
Southorn to take his medicine
Defenceman hopes to finish career with Rocket following suspension
The Guardian

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/index.cfm?sid=281173&sc=99

Old
08-26-2009, 08:51 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean about Zagrapan. He played 71 games his first year in Rochester and I can tell you from personal observation the he was a fixture in the top six and on all special teams.

I think you have it reversed. Because talent was so scarce during the dual affiliation years, Zags saw a lot more ice time then he probably deserved.

Old
08-26-2009, 08:51 PM
mgeise

Quote:
As of right now, Gerbe, Kennedy, and Schutz are the only fixtures in the top six. Gogulla will likely earn top six (and hopefully first line) minutes. Mancari, assuming he accepts his QO and isn't claimed off waivers when we send him down, will also likely play top six minutes. Cowan won't play top six minutes, and I'm still assuming McCormick and Ellis are on the opening day NHL roster. That leaves a slot open for Ennis, and all accounts are that he's too talented to stay in juniors another year. I think he's ready for the task, and there will be minutes to be had.

Old
08-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Vergilius

I am curious to know if anyone as heard anything about Slava Buravchikov. As far as I can tell he hasn't signed a deal in the KHL.

Anyone have knowledge of his plans?

Old
09-01-2009, 09:25 PM
LHJMQFAN

Quote:
Southorn to take his medicine
Defenceman hopes to finish career with Rocket following suspension
The Guardian

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/index.cfm?sid=281173&sc=99
Just read today that Buffalo told SOuthorn he was not welcomed to camp so he apparently rejoined the Rocket. Time will tell what will happen to him...

Closed Thread