HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread Index and Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
09-02-2009, 12:28 AM
mgeise

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHJMQFAN View Post
Just read today that Buffalo told SOuthorn he was not welcomed to camp so he apparently rejoined the Rocket. Time will tell what will happen to him...
Hm. Had some hopes for him. He might just become another Allard or Breault.

Old
09-02-2009, 12:52 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleta36 View Post
Hm. Had some hopes for him. He might just become another Allard or Breault.
Sabres are probably just showing support for the suspension and club discipline by barring him from camp and its not like he had a chance of making a jump this year.

Old
09-06-2009, 05:25 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

What's the deal with the rookie/prospect camp starting on Tuesday at the Pepsi Center? Is it open to the public and is it worth going to see? How long does it run?

Old
09-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Vergilius

For anyone who is interested:

I caught about an hour of rookie camp today at the Pepsi center. Some thoughts:

Players can only be recognized facially. no names on jerseys.

Tyler Myers is a very large human being. His reach is incredible, which allows him to break up plays. The only time I saw him get schooled was on a 3-on2 drill. Philip Gogulla turned him inside out. Most of the time, however, he kept forwards to the outside with size/stick.

TJ Brennan was very solid the whole time (at least what I saw). Nothing fantastic, but no significant errors.

Mike Weber was solid and tough, as usual. Rarely was beaten. I still think he looks like an ax murderer...

M-A Gragnani moves the puck nicely.

Kennedy and Gerbe looked a step above the rest, not surprisingly. Good moves and in charge.

Gogulla is really good with the puck (esp. exemplified by his move on Myers). Goes to the net well. His play away from the puck could be better, however. Perhaps just less effort in a non-game setting.

Ennis and Byron can skate like the f-ing wind. Byron is too small to get inside effectively, but I am interested to see what he does in Portland. his stick-handling is impressive. Ennis looked decent all-around.

If there are any other players you want to know about, I would be happy to provide an opinion (if possible).

Old
09-08-2009, 03:43 PM
JPurp26

thank you very much for the analysis what else did you observe, mcnabb kassian? fienhage? and goalies?

I wish i could make it to one of these

Old
09-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Vergilius

Honestly - not sure which defenseman was McNabb. Hard to tell without names on the jerseys.

As for Kassian - he is very big and well-built. Did not seem out of place at all. He has a bit of a red beard (Aargh, matey!).

As far as I could tell -- Goalies: Enroth looked very solid. Lamoreaux (sp?) was solid positionally, but small.

Old
09-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
thank you very much for the analysis what else did you observe, mcnabb kassian? fienhage? and goalies?

I wish i could make it to one of these
JPurp, no NCAA guys will be there this week (Fienhage). Only CHL/AHL and Euros (if they had any).

Mark McCutcheon will be in camp this year. Not sure if we mentioned that on this board at all.

Old
09-08-2009, 06:32 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
JPurp, no NCAA guys will be there this week (Fienhage). Only CHL/AHL and Euros (if they had any).

Mark McCutcheon will be in camp this year. Not sure if we mentioned that on this board at all.
McCutcheon's on the Pirates sticky, HB

Old
09-08-2009, 07:03 PM
sabresfan65
Vote for Teppo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergilius View Post
As for Kassian - he is very big and well-built. Did not seem out of place at all. He has a bit of a red beard (Aargh, matey!).
Nope he's to young to be a Pirate this year

Old
09-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

Any other non-contract invitees that you noticed KB?

09-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Hobey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Any other non-contract invitees that you noticed KB?
Negative. All expected. No Gongalskyy (as a follow-up from dev camp).

31 forwards, 18 dmen, and 4 goaltenders = full camp roster
5 CHL forwards (includes Legault), 3 CHL defensemen (includes Myers), no CHL goalies

Old
09-09-2009, 10:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1970
Quote:
For anyone who is interested:

I caught about an hour of rookie camp today at the Pepsi center. Some thoughts:

Players can only be recognized facially. no names on jerseys.

Tyler Myers is a very large human being. His reach is incredible, which allows him to break up plays. The only time I saw him get schooled was on a 3-on2 drill. Philip Gogulla turned him inside out. Most of the time, however, he kept forwards to the outside with size/stick.

TJ Brennan was very solid the whole time (at least what I saw). Nothing fantastic, but no significant errors.

Mike Weber was solid and tough, as usual. Rarely was beaten. I still think he looks like an ax murderer...

M-A Gragnani moves the puck nicely.

Kennedy and Gerbe looked a step above the rest, not surprisingly. Good moves and in charge.

Gogulla is really good with the puck (esp. exemplified by his move on Myers). Goes to the net well. His play away from the puck could be better, however. Perhaps just less effort in a non-game setting.

Ennis and Byron can skate like the f-ing wind. Byron is too small to get inside effectively, but I am interested to see what he does in Portland. his stick-handling is impressive. Ennis looked decent all-around.

If there are any other players you want to know about, I would be happy to provide an opinion (if possible).
Any idea if Marcus Folgino was there and how did he do?

Old
09-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Zip15

vCash: 396
http://www.wgr550.com/Day-Three-A-Gr...ookies/5190320

Quote:
South Buffalo native Tim Kennedy anchored a line with Nathan Gerbe on the wing.
It's only the rookies right now, but it sounds like Kennedy is playing center. We'll see if that continues once the veterans arrive. I have a feeling it will.

Old
09-11-2009, 03:40 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
http://www.wgr550.com/Day-Three-A-Gr...ookies/5190320

It's only the rookies right now, but it sounds like Kennedy is playing center. We'll see if that continues once the veterans arrive. I have a feeling it will.
It's what he played last year, so why not? I'm sure they are looking for him to compete in camp and that he's now the first recall at center. Hell, with a great camp, he could be in the mix on opening night.

Old
09-12-2009, 12:51 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Mark Adams looked pretty good in Chicago last night. Mobile, has some length to his skating and moves the puck with some authority. Just beginning to adjust to the USHL now but the kid has a chance.

Old
09-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Hobey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE View Post
Mark Adams looked pretty good in Chicago last night. Mobile, has some length to his skating and moves the puck with some authority. Just beginning to adjust to the USHL now but the kid has a chance.
Thanks, Max. He's got some Schiestel to him. Poapst and Army will need to develop a bit of a leash over the next few years, but nothing too crazy.

Old
09-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Thanks, Max. He's got some Schiestel to him. Poapst and Army will need to develop a bit of a leash over the next few years, but nothing too crazy.
Interesting to see what happens with what you noted about him -- his tendency to follow the play deep into the offensive zone -- as he progresses. I don't have any issue if the kid is up on the play, just as long as he's got the wheels to get back (and Mark looks like he does).

Old
09-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
It's what he played last year, so why not? I'm sure they are looking for him to compete in camp and that he's now the first recall at center. Hell, with a great camp, he could be in the mix on opening night.
I recall Portland moving him back to LW later in the season because he was struggling at center. I think they're doing his development a disservice due to lack of depth. If the Sabres need a center they'll move Hecht, MacArthur, Ellis, Mair etc. and if they need a wing they'll go for Gerbe or Gogulla. Even Schutz might get the call because he's at least competent defensively. While Kennedy should embrace the challenge and learn the position, I can see him becoming bitter if he doesn't get a shot. I don't have any doubt he'd be the first forward called up if he was used exclusively at LW.

Old
09-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
I recall Portland moving him back to LW later in the season because he was struggling at center. I think they're doing his development a disservice due to lack of depth. If the Sabres need a center they'll move Hecht, MacArthur, Ellis, Mair etc. and if they need a wing they'll go for Gerbe or Gogulla. Even Schutz might get the call because he's at least competent defensively. While Kennedy should embrace the challenge and learn the position, I can see him becoming bitter if he doesn't get a shot. I don't have any doubt he'd be the first forward called up if he was used exclusively at LW.
Dineen mentioned that he had lost some weight and energy due to his mouth (teeth) injury IIRC. With a full summer in the gym and working choppers, I expect he'll be right in the mix.

Old
09-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
I'm not sure I agree with that statement. Since center is the harder position to play, and they know Kennedy can fall back to LW if he fails at the pivot (based on what happened last year) I don't think its to his detriment at all to play center, even if we find out he can't play the position at the NHL level.

Additionally, I have the same opinion about Byron. He may not be a center as a pro, but they should at least try to find out for sure.

Old
09-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Tachycineta

I look forward to Captain Kassian's development and large role in Peterborough this year (and hopefully at the WJCs). I look forward to following the Petes a bit more this year.

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!
Old
09-19-2009, 10:12 PM
CritZ

How is Maxime Legault doing so far at Sabres camp?

Old
09-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CritZ View Post
How is Maxime Legault doing so far at Sabres camp?
Ok. He's kept up with some of the other AHL-level guys (Turnbull, McCutcheon) during drills and hasn't looked out of place.

Old
09-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Tra La La

Quote:
I am curious to know if anyone as heard anything about Slava Buravchikov. As far as I can tell he hasn't signed a deal in the KHL.

Anyone have knowledge of his plans?
He is playing with Ak Bars.

Old
09-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Hobey Baker

Kassian fed a guy a few lefts last night.

Foligno went, too. I don't recall a game last season where two CHLers dropped 'em on the same night, let alone three in the same week (with McNabb going last Saturday).

Gotta love the Class of '09.

Closed Thread