HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Prospect Thread Index and Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2009, 11:18 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
Kassian fed a guy a few lefts last night.

Foligno went, too. I don't recall a game last season where two CHLers dropped 'em on the same night, let alone three in the same week (with McNabb going last Saturday).

Gotta love the Class of '09.
And 4-2 Oshawa at the time? In the middle of a 6-4 win?

Talk about knowing how to swing a game. Great stuff.

Old
09-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Kassian fed a guy a few lefts last night.

Foligno went, too. I don't recall a game last season where two CHLers dropped 'em on the same night, let alone three in the same week (with McNabb going last Saturday).

Gotta love the Class of '09.
Great link HB. Love that Zack's wearing the C for the Petes. Love, love, love it.

09-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
And 4-2 Oshawa at the time? In the middle of a 6-4 win?

Talk about knowing how to swing a game. Great stuff.
Literally like 30-seconds after Oshawa scored their 4th goal....in Oshawa's barn.

Old
10-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Hobey Baker

This week's feeding courteosy of Brayden McNabb in Kootenay's 4-3 loss last night to Prince Albert. Bad pass, good hit, better scrap.

Last edited by Hobey Baker: 10-07-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old
10-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
This week's feeding courteosy of Brayden McNabb in Kootenay's 4-3 loss last night to Prince Albert. Bad pass, good hit, better scrap.
I like a guy who gets that upset when he makes a mistake. Thanks for the link HB.

Old
10-16-2009, 10:16 PM
puppetzz

tropp gets a hat trick tonight and I think he's going to be good this year. I go to all MSU home games

Old
10-16-2009, 10:26 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppetzz View Post
tropp gets a hat trick tonight and I think he's going to be good this year. I go to all MSU home games
It's good to see he's just back to playing hockey.

Old
10-18-2009, 08:40 PM
Brock

Some thoughts on Marcus Foligno from today against Brampton...

Foligno has had a really disappointing start to the 2009 season, at least offensively. I think a lot of people, myself included, expected him to take some steps forward offensively this year. His skating doesn't look like it's improved and that appears to be what's holding him back. Like Jared Staal, he couldn't be as effective in the offensive zone because of his failure to beat defenders to the puck. A real effective player along the boards, Foligno wasn't a factor in the cycle because Brampton's defenders were able to move the puck before he could get to them. On the positive side, he was excellent on the penalty kill. His strength away from the puck really allows him to be a factor at the top of the box. While his offensive game seems to have stalled, his two way ability seems to be blossoming. Maybe Buffalo sees him as an eventual replacement for Paul Gaustad?

Old
10-18-2009, 09:05 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Center Luke Adam is off to a good start with Cape Breton with 5G, 11A in their first 12 games. At 6'1" 210lb he brings some size to the middle. I understand he could be playing LW at the WJC's for Canada. With all the focus on the big guys the Sabres drafted this year, he shouldn't be overlooked.

Old
10-22-2009, 11:32 PM
Brock

Thoughts on Nick Crawford from tonight's game against the Petes...

I thought he played a really strong defensive game. He's only moderately sized (6'1), and he's not a physical defender, but he does a very strong job as a positional defender. The Petes forwards had a tough time getting by him on the way to the net and did a good job in picking up his man in coverage, tying him up and not allowing a scoring opportunity. I was also impressed by the way he won battles in the corners, just by out maneuvering Pete players and using his stick to get the puck out. Offensively, I thought he struggled a bit though. Made a few questionable decisions with the puck early on and had a few giveaways. Settled down as the game went on and made a couple nice plays later in the game to keep the puck in the offensive zone. But overall I was somewhat underwhelmed by his offensive abilities. As a quietly effective defender, perhaps I was looking for more flash and dash to his game than I should have been. He finished with an assist.

Old
10-23-2009, 05:21 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
Center Luke Adam is off to a good start with Cape Breton with 5G, 11A in their first 12 games. At 6'1" 210lb he brings some size to the middle. I understand he could be playing LW at the WJC's for Canada. With all the focus on the big guys the Sabres drafted this year, he shouldn't be overlooked.
the guy is a beast, loved most every game I watched him play last season.

could be our 2nd line center with size by the time 11-12 comes around.

Old
10-24-2009, 06:48 PM
mgeise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
the guy is a beast, loved most every game I watched him play last season.

could be our 2nd line center with size by the time 11-12 comes around.
This would be awesome. All reports about him this year have been glowing. We need someone like him on this team.

Old
10-24-2009, 11:17 PM
HNJB*

Has anyone seen Lagace play in person? He seems really promising, but I want a first hand account.

Old
10-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Hobey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesJokebook View Post
Has anyone seen Lagace play in person? He seems really promising, but I want a first hand account.
Yes, seen him quite a bit, and he's very consistent at the junior level. Not the biggest, not the fastest, but he's strong on his feet and very good at retrieving pucks from the corners and taking them to the net. We've said Dumont on here a couple times in terms of style and appearance. Not a dead ringer by any means, but he's n OK skater who grinds thru checks to make plays. I think he favors his wrister, and he's pretty accurate as he floats into lanes to get it off. Shoots the puck quite a bit. Hard to rate a q forward defensively at times, but he's always put forth better effort than his +/- suggests.

Paquette caught him with his head down on Friday. Left his feet and smoked him. Head shot. Not sure if he's going to miss time. Sags play today I believe, so we'll see.

Lagace is a good overall player in juniors, and I think it'll translate well moving forward. I think he was rated 75 or so by CSB in their final ranking during his draft year. Looking back at the draft class, he was probably more of a late 3rd/4th than a 5th.

Old
10-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Yes, seen him quite a bit, and he's very consistent at the junior level. Not the biggest, not the fastest, but he's strong on his feet and very good at retrieving pucks from the corners and taking them to the net. We've said Dumont on here a couple times in terms of style and appearance. Not a dead ringer by any means, but he's n OK skater who grinds thru checks to make plays. I think he favors his wrister, and he's pretty accurate as he floats into lanes to get it off. Shoots the puck quite a bit. Hard to rate a q forward defensively at times, but he's always put forth better effort than his +/- suggests.

Paquette caught him with his head down on Friday. Left his feet and smoked him. Head shot. Not sure if he's going to miss time. Sags play today I believe, so we'll see.

Lagace is a good overall player in juniors, and I think it'll translate well moving forward. I think he was rated 75 or so by CSB in their final ranking during his draft year. Looking back at the draft class, he was probably more of a late 3rd/4th than a 5th.

I see he did not play. Any more word on how he's doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
He's up to 7th in the league scoring race -- 8-14-22 in 15 games.

Old
10-26-2009, 01:27 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppetzz View Post
Just looked on Bakes site. http://www.sabresprospects.com/#

Tropp is bouncing back nicely this season.

As of Friday night he is leading the nation in scoring, 5g 5a 10pts in 5 games.

Old
10-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Hobey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post

He was just named CCHA Player of the Week as well. Nice job, Corey.

Haven't updated (have issues aside from the obvious ones.. ha) but the Spartans knocked off Connor Knapp and #1 Miami on Saturday, 3-2. Tropp with a goal and an assist in that one. 6G, 6A in 6 games. The devil made him do it!

Old
10-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:

After the way his sophomore season ended, and how it was progressing to that point, I was in Red Alert Mode on Tropp entering this year. Thrilled that he's turned it on.

Fienhage, that's a guy who I'm squarely on Red Alert over now.

Old
10-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Hobey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I see he did not play. Any more word on how he's doing?
Looks like he's good to go for Thursday. Had some symptoms of concussion, but not ruled a concussion.

Kassian should be back in the next few days as well.

Old
10-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Hobey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
After the way his sophomore season ended, and how it was progressing to that point, I was in Red Alert Mode on Tropp entering this year. Thrilled that he's turned it on.

Fienhage, that's a guy who I'm squarely on Red Alert over now.
No worries about Fienhage. I'll be penning something up shortly, but we should expect him in the lineup after UND's week off.

Old
10-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Pilgore88

You guys have an absolute gem in Luke Adam. Wish the sens would have grabbed him. Guy is an absolute beast game in game out, and doesn't need to put up points to be effective, yet will end up top 5 in scoring this year. If he is not on the WJC team it is an absolute joke, as he is the kind of player who will help you win, and put team before personal glory.

Old
10-29-2009, 05:54 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
You guys have an absolute gem in Luke Adam. Wish the sens would have grabbed him. Guy is an absolute beast game in game out, and doesn't need to put up points to be effective, yet will end up top 5 in scoring this year. If he is not on the WJC team it is an absolute joke, as he is the kind of player who will help you win, and put team before personal glory.
He needs to get signed as soon as humanly possible. Roster spot in 1/2 years? Or are we thinking 2/3 at this point I wonder?

Old
10-29-2009, 09:37 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
He needs to get signed as soon as humanly possible. Roster spot in 1/2 years? Or are we thinking 2/3 at this point I wonder?
He will be 20 next June so he can start playing the AHL next season. If they sign him of course.

As for a roster spot, thats a harder one probably 2-3yrs.

Next year all but Mac of the top 6 are under contract as well as Hecht and Goose.

Mac, Kennedy and Kaleta will be RFAs and Grier, Mair and Ellis UFA.

Probably the year after (10-11) at the earliest when Connolly's deal is up but Ennis will likely be in line for that spot. The following year with Goose and Hecht as UFAs I think he would be in a good position for spot

Last edited by joshjull: 10-29-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old
10-29-2009, 10:13 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
He will be 20 next June so he can start playing the AHL next season. If they sign him of course.

As for a roster spot, thats a harder one probably 2-3yrs.

Next year all but Mac of the top 6 are under contract as well as Hecht and Goose.

Mac, Kennedy and Kaleta will be RFAs and Grier, Mair and Ellis UFA.

Probably the year after (10-11) at the earliest when Connolly's deal is up but Ennis will likely be in line for that spot. The following year with Goose and Hecht as UFAs I think he would be in a good position for spot
Since he's coming out of the CHL, they have to sign him this season (by June) or he re-enters the draft. That said, they have to sign him by June, so there's no real hurry.

Old
11-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Hobey Baker

- Adam named Q Offensive Player of the Month
- McNabb out four to six with a knee injury
- Kassian got a match/misconduct yesterday for a slew foot, could face a one-game sitdown
- Lagacé back after what I'd call a mild concussion (if you have symptoms but are not ruled concussed, I'd still say you were mildly concussed)

Closed Thread