HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beginner Goal?

Old
12-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Vermonster

vCash: 500
Beginner Goal?

Just curious on your opinion on a goal for my son for Christmas. I don't want to spend too much on one until I know if he'll stick with it or not. Most of the steel ones seem to start aroun $80-$100 or so. Also, I would like something not too big, and storable. I can find something like this Mylec PVC folding goal at Dick's, and I was wondering what anyone's opinion is of it.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...uctId=11587663

Again, he's only 5. He has yet to progress to the Al Macinnis type slap shot, so I don't think I need to worry about tearing the net or shattering the pipes yet.

I live in southern California, so I am not worried about the PVC getting too cold and breaking, and it won't go on ice, just the driveway. The only thing I would think that might be of concern is the quality of the netting. It's only $40 though with free shipping. If he decides he wants to stick with hockey, I will invest a little more. For now he loves scoring on me in the yard.

Thanks.....

Vermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Ozz

Something like that is all we even had the option to buy when I was growing up, he'll be plenty fine. We used to leave it outside 24/7 too and while we weren't in California, it did get hot in the summers. PVC held up fine though it got a little light. The netting held up back then but once in a while it'd come unraveled from the posts. Nothing a couple zip ties can't fix.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:31 PM
Vermonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Something like that is all we even had the option to buy when I was growing up, he'll be plenty fine. We used to leave it outside 24/7 too and while we weren't in California, it did get hot in the summers. PVC held up fine though it got a little light. The netting held up back then but once in a while it'd come unraveled from the posts. Nothing a couple zip ties can't fix.
Thanks. I figure I will just get it, and it shoud do fine.

Old
12-15-2011, 03:10 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

If you wanted to save some $, you could always make your own.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I had one of those and destroyed it pretty quick although I'm an adult. My toddler has one of those little plastic mini nets and it falls apart easily when he's dragging it around (he brings it upstairs, downstairs, to dads room, kitchen, etc). I've been meaning to buy a metal net, they sell some for $30-50 that fold up, but haven't had the cash.

I wouldn't sweat it if that's all you can find though, better to have one of those nets than none at all!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:27 PM
vapor11

I had one as a child for years..great for street hockey..I also had a red metal one(just a cheap one with thin bars) but I liked the plastic one better..Can't remember exact timeframe but I was older then your son and used it for plenty of years and it was outside in cold northern Ontario winters..put a few holes in the mesh over time but it didn't matter back then

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:21 PM
SouthpawTRK

Here's a link for the same net:

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=M803

If you join their I Win program, you can save 10% off your orders.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Vermonster

Thanks guys. Ending up getting the one at Toys R Us which came with 2 sticks and a ball also. Gives him about 10 sticks now, but oh well, he can have friends over.

I figure he'll be happy with it, and even if it only lasts 6 months, that's only a $5 bill each month for entertainment.

Old
12-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Stickmata

I agree with going cheap to make sure he likes it, but if you find that he does, I strongly suggest paying the $$ for a real hockey goal. I did and it is one of the best hockey investments I ever made.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote