HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Development Camp 2009

Old
07-14-2009, 07:50 PM
ginblossoms

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolai19 View Post
I just wanted to chime in on the Elite league thing.

I play in an Elite League locally that has many ex NHL players (and now that they are home a handful of local guys that are either in the WHL, BCHL, USHL, NAHL, College or minor pro level). The skill level and the pace of the game is great and to play against some of these guys is a great honor and I have nothing but respect for the majority of them.

Reaper is right. Many of the local guys around here could have made it very far. When you are 17-20 years old and you're job is to play hockey, some young guys don't understand the responsibility that comes along with being that talented. There are plenty of guys that have the skills, head, and physical characteristics to play in a very high level of professional hockey. Ultimately, something happens though. Many of them get hurt, then become drunks or whatever, and play just to play.

Speaking of the hitting portion of the game...yes the Elite league is not full check, however, the refs tend to let you play a little more than normal. I can almost guarantee you that there is as much hooking, holding, and clutching and grabbing as there would be in say an ECHL or SPHL game.

Lastly, the Elite league is mostly made up of guys that have paid their dues. Most guys are in their late 30's and have played for a long time and are just coming out to play. They don't have anything to prove and it's just a way for them to stay competitive. I've met some guys that have scored 200 goals in the NHL that are some of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. I've also met some guys who scored 4 goals in the ECHL and think that they are still God's gift to the game. Regardless, the local elite leagues have some very talented players that make it competitive and as close to the real thing as you can get.
thanks... this is the answer i was looking for... if someone were to tell me about some random adult rec league players vs legit nhl prospects, i would have had my doubts too... but when i actually saw them in person, i was amazed and then came my original stoner thought above...

regarding the body checks, i agree that there's the requisite level of clutching and grabbing, but eliminating the chance of getting laid out scott stevens-style changes the game alot imo... opens the game up and makes it that much more fun to watch...

if you wanna check these guys out, their games are on tuesday nights... i play roller the same night, so i get to see 'em regularly... (one good thing about being demoted in our roller league... games moved from wednesdays to tuesdays)...

ginblossoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 08:33 PM
RNHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Very good player, man.

A Quote (King'sPawn-Letsgokings):

49 - Nicolas Deslauriers
I had this preconceived notion of not Trusting defensemen from the Q for a couple reasons: most of them are soft defensively or flimsy. Not only does Deslauriers shatter those notions, but he also reinforce what I know of defensemen from the Q: they're very talented skaters and puck movers. He had a very bad Giveaway during the first day in The Game, but he recovered from that and became the most talented defenseman in camp, in terms of skillset. The most lacking ability he has is his shot, as it's not very hard, and he struggled to keep the puck in the offensive zone at times, but Deslauriers acumen had the highest out of all the players in terms of breakout passes or carrying the puck . He does not shy away from physical contact, either, and while he will not flatten anyone with a bone crunching check, he will make players look over their shoulders.

Have you seen the Deslauriers in Rouyn-Noranda Huskies?

I have seen every home game of Deslauriers and a lot on the road.

At his rookie year in junior, Huskies had a shot at the cup, with a veterans team he had his regular shift, developpe very well, by the way his actually coach is André Tourigny who was concidered for the job in Hamilton (AHL).

I ll always remember one night, he was 16, went in the corner with a 19 years old 200 and more pounds, start pussing each others, the kid stood up, drop his gloves and my god kick the other guy's butt, 16 years old vs a 19, its a huge difference in junior ! We were all stunt, was a good exemple of a kid who s not affraid of anything. I m not saying that he's an enforcer but he's not girly style.

Last season Huskies been sellers at christmas trade period and Deslauriers up grade into the first pairing, so had a ton of ice.

This year Huskies are back at the top already and Deslauriers at 18 years old will be one of the leaders of this team.
We expect a very strong season from Nicolas.

Last edited by RNHabs: 07-14-2009 at 08:40 PM.
RNHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

"nosoupforyou" from LGK, vid's from DAY 3, Game #2

- LA Kings 2009 Prospect Camp, Day 3, Game 2, part 1/15

- LA Kings 2009 Prospect Camp, Day 3, Game 2, pt 2/15

- LA Kings 2009 Prospect Camp, Day 3, Game 2, pt 3/15

- LA Kings Development Camp, Day 3, Game 2, pt 4/15

- LA Kings Development Camp, Day 3, Game 2, pt 5/15

- LA Kings Development Camp, Day 3, Game 2, pt 6/15

- LA Kings Development Camp, Day 3, Game 2, pt 7/15

- LA Kings Development Camp, Day 3, Game 2, pt 8/15

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 06:10 AM
kopifan

Send a message via MSN to kopifan
Part 9/15 has a nice Doughty-like fake from Thomas Hickey (at 55 seconds). Also, I think, this is the longest section so it's worth watching it.

kopifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:41 AM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Was that Azevado causing all those scoring opportunities in the last vid. He looked pretty fast.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Yeah, because guys can just drop what they're doing and just be in the NHL, get real.

Most of the guys who could be there now decided at an early age, that they didn't want to do that, and they went to college or got a job. Now they have families and are at an age where the NHL isn't a possibility anymore, regardless that they have the talent to be an NHL'er.
Sorry, I have to agree with Knights Of The Realm here.

A few years ago, I played pickup a few times with a few guys from the South Surrey Eagles (BCHL). One of them was Nathan Oystrick, who ended up being drafted by Atlanta and is a fringe guy for them (he's mostly been in the minors). When we played, the guy was absolutely jaw-dropping amazing. A few of his teammates were amazing as well, and Oystrick has had a hard time being an NHL regular, and those teammates of his are probably working as plumbers right about now.

My point is that you can take any of those "Elite" league players playing in the leagues around SoCal and stick them in an NHL lineup and they will be by far the worst players on the ice. They would be hard pressed to even stick out in an AHL lineup. ECHL, maybe. But NHL and AHL? No way in hell. It takes so much skill to be an NHL regular, it's not even funny. The "worst" NHL'er in the league is far better than the best Elite League player in SoCal, hands down.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 03:28 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
Sorry, I have to agree with Knights Of The Realm here.

A few years ago, I played pickup a few times with a few guys from the South Surrey Eagles (BCHL). One of them was Nathan Oystrick, who ended up being drafted by Atlanta and is a fringe guy for them (he's mostly been in the minors). When we played, the guy was absolutely jaw-dropping amazing. A few of his teammates were amazing as well, and Oystrick has had a hard time being an NHL regular, and those teammates of his are probably working as plumbers right about now.

My point is that you can take any of those "Elite" league players playing in the leagues around SoCal and stick them in an NHL lineup and they will be by far the worst players on the ice. They would be hard pressed to even stick out in an AHL lineup. ECHL, maybe. But NHL and AHL? No way in hell. It takes so much skill to be an NHL regular, it's not even funny. The "worst" NHL'er in the league is far better than the best Elite League player in SoCal, hands down.
Except Noah Clarke

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
possibly, but the post I responded to implied deals were in the works or planned.
No, just saying that now that htey know Hickey is ready, you can listen to offers for JMFJ as you negotiate. I don't think he is being moved either.

Then again, Chiarelli went public on NESN to state that Phil Kessel isn't going anywhere and I still am not feeling confidant. Heck, has their ever been this many trade rumors surrounding two RFA's more than these two?

Both sign in the next two weeks and I am happy.

Cheers

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Interesting little wrtie up with invitee Tyler Maxwell about his time at this years camp ...

Player Profile: Tyler Maxwell's Royal Experience
Invited player impressive at LA Kings Development Camp
Everett Silvertips Press Release = http://www.everettsilvertips.com/news/story.cfm?ID=1500

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 07:36 PM
JT8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
Except Noah Clarke
I don't understand the sarcasm, I played a couple games with Noah and he was by FAR the best hockey player i had ever played against. He was a hell of a college player, a great AHL player, it just shows how good the NHL talent is, i honestly can't fathom how good stars like gretz, crosby, ove.

JT8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 11:46 PM
Boltz9

From reading all the post it didn't seem like Schenn had a really good camp. Hope this just means we will have him here in Brandon for the start of our Memorial Cup run.

Boltz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 11:51 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltz9 View Post
From reading all the post it didn't seem like Schenn had a really good camp. Hope this just means we will have him here in Brandon for the start of our Memorial Cup run.
I think it would take a miracle for him not to return to Brandon. You should not have to worry about that.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 12:54 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

I am most interested in Hickey because with a top 4 of Greene, Doughty, Scuderi & Johnson (in no particular order), I am curious to see where Hickey fits in. Does it become O'D & Hickey as the 5 and 6 D? In some respects, it is consistent - one veteran who is known for D and a young offensive D who will learn how to play defensive D with EACH pairing of 1-6. Good grief, does that make too much sense or am I nuts? I must be nuts. There is no way Hickey makes the team is there?

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 12:58 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
I am most interested in Hickey because with a top 4 of Greene, Doughty, Scuderi & Johnson (in no particular order), I am curious to see where Hickey fits in. Does it become O'D & Hickey as the 5 and 6 D? In some respects, it is consistent - one veteran who is known for D and a young offensive D who will learn how to play defensive D with EACH pairing of 1-6. Good grief, does that make too much sense or am I nuts? I must be nuts. There is no way Hickey makes the team is there?
I think he has a shot to make the team. Especially as a 5-6 defender. He should not have that much pressure on him with Johnson, Scuderi, Doughty and Greene playing against most of the oppositions top 6.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 01:01 AM
riznat

Quote:
Add in the fact that we could use another offensive defensemen to play the point on the PP and its not crazy at all. The 4 point men should be Stoll, Johnson, Doughty and Hickey... well in a perfect world anyway. Of course, he could always be the top pairing PP dman (and likely top pairing 5 on 5 dman) in Manchester, tough to say whats going to happen.

riznat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 01:04 AM
jimmy1100

Quote:
Not just a chance, but I really think he makes this team out of camp and spends a lot of time in LA this year. Hickey for 15 games, then send him down for 25 games to work on certain things, call him back up and play it by ear from there.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 04:09 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT8888 View Post
I don't understand the sarcasm, I played a couple games with Noah and he was by FAR the best hockey player i had ever played against. He was a hell of a college player, a great AHL player, it just shows how good the NHL talent is, i honestly can't fathom how good stars like gretz, crosby, ove.
I played against Noah when he was still a fairly little guy (maybe 14 or so) and my friend kept talking him up. He was not a factor whatsoever in that game, probably because we were all a lot bigger than him. But I saw him in action a few years later and he was easily one of the best players out there.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 04:51 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Hickey

Thomas Hickey is a virtual lock to wind up at Manchester to start the season and likely remain there for the year. He will need a year of seasoning at the AHL level.

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 06:40 AM
Chruceg

Quote:
I'm a little torn about whether or not Hickey should make the team. I used to tout Hickey making the team since last November. My thought process being that his ceiling is so high that as soon as he is ready to make the big league he should get there to reach his talent apex as soon as possible.

I think Dean's well reasoned reluctance to bring Hickey up is based around his desire to properly develop players. Decreasing a player's chance of flaming out, teaching the work ethic to succeed in the NHL, and having more complete players play in the NHL when they do get to the NHL. The argument can also be made that players who develop properly become even more talented.

Is Hickey a perfect fit for the six spot? You bet he is. Does it make sense to leave him in the AHL for a season or half a season to develop his overall game to help make him a more complete player? Yeah.

My personal feeling is that half way through the season someone gets injured and Hickey's play won't suggest that he gets a call up his play will flat out demand it.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 06:43 AM
JT8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
I played against Noah when he was still a fairly little guy (maybe 14 or so) and my friend kept talking him up. He was not a factor whatsoever in that game, probably because we were all a lot bigger than him. But I saw him in action a few years later and he was easily one of the best players out there.
yeah before noah went to college and put on some weight he was pretty tiny. I played a couple of pickup games with him after he got drafted and he was out of control, he had put on a lot of pounds and was basically manhandling everyone on the ice.

JT8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 08:56 AM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT8888 View Post
Yea, I played in a tournament with Noah, Mika Wooters, and Alex Kim. Noah played roller for the Team Paradise Beach Boys along with a few other NHL draft picks and signings, such as... Justin Morrison, Eric Bowen, Gabe Gauthier, Ryan Hollweg, and Brett Sterling....

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 09:54 AM
KingsCrown

Leave Hickey down in Manchester for a year. Let him develop properly and get top pairing minutes and earn more professional level experience.

KingsCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 10:11 AM
not tellin*

i want him up but, but i know it's probably better if he stays down and then earns his shot when/if someone goes down for injury.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Doughty-Scuderi, Johnson-Greene, O'Donnell-Hickey.

That's exactly how I have it! I expect him to have a great pre-season and make the team. Harrold will be the 7th d-man.

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

I am just not seeing it with Hickey making the team this year. It would be so counter intuitive to what Dean typically does. Only way it happens is if he pulls a Doughty and Dean & Co. look at him and say, he's got nothing to learn in Manchester...and I don't believe Hickey = Doughty.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote