HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Only two goaltenders have posted thirty win seasons in each of the last three years

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2004, 12:37 AM
Shane

vCash: 500
Only two goaltenders have posted thirty win seasons in each of the last three years

Only two goaltenders have posted thirty win seasons in each of the last three years.

One is Martin Broudeur.

The other? Dan Cloutier.

Old
03-30-2004, 12:48 AM
lakings87

Wow, Chris Osgood did it 3 seasons in row and also won a stanley cup, so wins doesn't prove that much except in general the team in front of you.

Old
03-30-2004, 12:51 AM
BoatMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakings87
Wow, Chris Osgood did it 3 seasons in row and also won a stanley cup, so wins doesn't prove that much except in general the team in front of you.
True, sometimes goalies have bad uncharacteristic seasons, just see Ed Belfour.

That being said, Cloutier is a great goalie and hopefully doesn't let another Lidstrom in (j/k, just had to say it).

GO WINGS GO

Old
03-30-2004, 12:53 AM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Only two goaltenders have posted thirty win seasons in each of the last three years.

One is Martin Broudeur.

The other? Dan Cloutier.
Cujo is the only goaly to post 30 plus wins with three different teams.

Old
03-30-2004, 12:57 AM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
Quote:
That didn't take long. s

Old
03-30-2004, 12:59 AM
nucks2win

Now if he could get 16 in the playoffs 3 years in a row I'd be impressed!

Old
03-30-2004, 02:38 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

What's your point? Wins does not reflect a goalies talent.. Cloutier just had the fortune of playing in front of a decent team. Cloutier is not the reason the Nucks were such a dangerous threat during that stretch, Brodeur has.

Old
03-30-2004, 02:52 AM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
What's your point? Wins does not reflect a goalies talent.. Cloutier just had the fortune of playing in front of a decent team. Cloutier is not the reason the Nucks were such a dangerous threat during that stretch, Brodeur has.
There! You admit it then! The Canucks are a great team! The *best* team! We'll win it all!

Old
03-30-2004, 02:58 AM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
It just makes me laugh.

If you make a thread similar to this involving Brodeur, people talk about how great of a milestone it is. What a record! So many wins! But with Cloutier it's "What the **** is your point? Wins mean nothing!"

Hahaha, good times.

Old
03-30-2004, 03:03 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
30 wins isnt that big of a milestone in my book. Not when there are more then a few in the league that have had em. I think Kolzig has 5 of them.

Old
03-30-2004, 03:26 AM
ArtG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number67
30 wins isnt that big of a milestone in my book. Not when there are more then a few in the league that have had em. I think Kolzig has 5 of them.
It may not be big milestone.. but how come only 2 goalies have done it over the past 3 years?

Old
03-30-2004, 03:34 AM
Orv

Another milestone for Cloutier. Only tender to let in a shot from centre by Nick Lindstrom to more or less lose the series for the 'Nucks. Way to go Dan!!!

Old
03-30-2004, 03:37 AM
Rotting Corpse*

I'm willing to bet that every goaltender that has been in the league for a fair amount of time has allowed a goal from center ice.

They happen. It was the way that Cloutier melted down after that goal that really cost them the series; a series which they didn't have much business winning anyways, to be honest.s

Old
03-30-2004, 03:39 AM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ryan
I'm willing to bet that every goaltender that has been in the league for a fair amount of time has allowed a goal from center ice.

They happen. It was the way that Cloutier melted down after that goal that really cost them the series; a series which they didn't have much business winning anyways, to be honest.s
well, they CLEARLY did until that goal

Old
03-30-2004, 03:46 AM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number67
It isn't really a large milestone. Several have them this year. And several had the last year. And so on, and so on.

I just find it curious that the only two goalies to post three consecutive thirty win seasons in the last three years are Martin Brodeur, who is widely regarded to be the best goaltender in the NHL at the moment. And Dan Cloutier who is often criticized (unjustly, I might add) on these forums, and considered by many of you to be one of the worst starters in the league.

Look no further than this topic.

Quote:
Wins [don't] prove that much except in general the team in front of you.
Quote:
Wins does not reflect a goalies talent.
Quote:
Cloutier just had the fortune of playing in front of a decent team.
Quote:
Cloutier is not the reason the Nucks were such a dangerous threat during that stretch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv
[The] only tender to let in a shot from centre by Nick Lindstrom [Editor's Note: Spelling Incorrect] to more or less lose the series for the 'Nucks.
In no way am I saying Cloutier is better than Martin Brodeur, or anywhere near his calibre for that matter (I'm sure someone will accuse me for "insinuating" as much soon enough, so I'd better set the record straight). But perhaps some of you, by seeing this topic, can get over your unsabstantiated bias against Cloutier and the Canucks. I find it hard to understand why the Canucks are hated so much. Maybe the Bertuzzi-incident rubbed you the wrong way. Maybe you've had your fill of arrogant Canucks fans. Maybe Dan Cloutier ran over your dog (that would actually explain a lot), I don't know.

Statstically, you MUST admit that Dan Cloutier has improved by leaps and bounds every season and in the playoffs. He played well in the St. Louis series last year, and the blame for the loss to Minnesota cannot be placed squarely on his shoulders. The whole team broke down defensively and left Cloutier out to dry. Every time Jovanovski rushed-up in the play, you could be sure that two Minnesota players were rushing up the ice on a 2-on-1 during the ensuing turnover. Where was Bertuzzi in that series? Two goals in 14 games? Unacceptable.

The hardest thing for me to wrap my head around is the fact, that many of you (note that I said many, not all) of you non-Canuck fans watch very few if any Canucks games all season, yet find yourself fit to completely judge a player you've seen play three, four times a year. And when fans like myself, who have watched Dan play some fifty-odd games this season come to his defense, your plethora of knowledge on the subject of Cloutier's play this season vastly outweighs our own. Cloutier has kept the Canucks in countless games this season that they had no business being in. Along with Markus Naslund, and Mattias Ohlund, Cloutier has easily been one of our most valuable players this year.

Last edited by Shane: 03-30-2004 at 03:50 AM.
Old
03-30-2004, 03:53 AM
boz
Altitude Fan

Quote:
do people really think cloutier is that much of a leech?? surely there is some testament to cloutier himself to be only 1 of 2?

wow..how good would vancouver be with a REAL goalie then?!

Old
03-30-2004, 03:56 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:

One is Martin Broudeur.

The other? Dan Cloutier.
And the starting goaltender with the worst GAA (3.24) and save percentage (.868) in last year's post- season. Dan Cloutier

His 2001-2002 was not much better with a GAA of 3.51 and save percentage of .870

When the chips are down and the game is on the line you can depend on Chokier to head south.

Old
03-30-2004, 03:59 AM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster
And the starting goaltender with the worst GAA (3.24) and save percentage (.868) in last year's post- season. Dan Cloutier

His 2001-2002 was not much better with a GAA of 3.51 and save percentage of .870

When the chips are down and the game is on the line you can depend on Chokier to head south.
Did you even read my other post? Or do you only reply to the tidbits you can make your sharp, witty responses to? Oh, do so enlighten me.

Old
03-30-2004, 04:00 AM
El_Loco_Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtG
It may not be big milestone.. but how come only 2 goalies have done it over the past 3 years?
Because Roy/Hasek retired?
Because Turco/Aebischer haven't been starting goalies that long?
Because the Sharks were *awful* last year?

A couple of goalies have come really close to 30....
Lalime(27,39(!!),and 25 this year)
Khabby

God... Brodeur has been doing that since 95... and he clipped 40 4 times during that span... *that's* a meaningful accomplishment

Old
03-30-2004, 04:06 AM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

Quote:
Did you even read my other post? Or do you only reply to the tidbits you can make your sharp, witty responses to? Oh, do so enlighten me.
"Statstically, you MUST admit that Dan Cloutier has improved by leaps and bounds every season and in the playoffs."

Maybe he's just pointing out that statistically, Dan has not improved by leaps and bounds.

Old
03-30-2004, 04:27 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Yes, and you are wrong. I thought you would gather that from the stats I quoted.

In your other post you said that in regards to Chokier "Statstically, you MUST admit that Dan Cloutier has improved by leaps and bounds...in the playoffs."

He has been abysmal in the post-season as my notation of his last two post-season statiscally demonstrate. His career post-season numbers are a mind numbingly bad 3.43 GAA and .866 save percentage.

Those are bottom feeder numbers. Curtis Joseph took a lot of heat last year for the Wings going out in four but look at his numbers. He had a GAA of 2.07 and save percentage of .917. Clearly he was not the problem. His career post season stats are 2.50 GAA and a save percentage of .920

Most goalies (even journeymen) can suck it up and improve in the post-season but Chokier's stats get worse in the play-offs. Not a good sign.

Greg Holden of the Vancouver Canucks Almanac did an in-depth analysis of the last 12 seasons and what it takes for a goalie not only to make it to the Cup finals but win it all in an article titled "STATISTICAL ANALYSIS: DO YOU NEED A TOP END GOALTENDER TO MAKE IT TO THE FINAL?". It takes an elite goalie playing at the top of his game who can take it up a notch in the play-offs or if you have a team that is head and shoulders above all the competition you can get it done with a good goalie playing at the very top of his game. That certainly does not describe Chokier on his abysmal performances in the post-season to date.
http://www.canucksalmanac.hispeed.co...june11-03.html

Consider yourself enlightened

Old
03-30-2004, 10:04 AM
CurtisLoew

Game 6 of the 1st round against St. Louis we should have been out of it. I think it was a 2 on 1 and Cloutier made a magnificent kick save which he aimed towards the boards, it bounced hard off the boards right to a Canuck, sending him off....leading to a Canuck goal and the turn around of the series.
Wetcoaster your only going to tsn and checking on Cloutiers stats and thinking you have incredible hockey knowledge because you can copy stats off of a website. Maybe if you watched the Canucks games you would notice that Cloutier is good.
And Modano = God you definatly don't watch the Canucks if you say its all because of our defensive play. The Canucks probably let up the most 2 on 1's in the league and Cloutier time after time comes up with the huge save.

Old
03-30-2004, 11:01 AM
Finkle is Einhorn

My fellow Canuck fans, why do you continue to bother arguing with posters on this board about the merits of Canuck players? Haven't you noticed a trend? We say Naslund's good, others say he's soft. We say the Sedins have improved, they point to their bulbous craniums. We say Cloutier has been one of our best players this season, others drag out statistics to point otherwise. No matter what they do, there is always going to be a reason other than their own capabilities to explain why they did well, i.e. other teams poor goaltending, strong defense in front of Cloutier etc...

I haven't been around these boards since the beginning, so maybe I am missing something, but what did you do (or say) to make yourselves so loathed? (Attn: other posters, this isn't an invite to point out everything that you dislike about Canuck fans)

The way I look at it, let the team do the talking. If Cloutier does something in the playoffs, come back here and rub it in everyone's faces. If Naslund snipes a trick in game 7, come back and post pictures with a caption that says "Everyone else can bite me". Thus far, sadly, the Canucks haven't done a heck of alot in the postseason, so they are going to be criticized until they do.

I think the best thing to do right now is to embrace this team's underdog mentality. You know, be very humble when discussing the team, and then if (when, hopefully) the Nucks do some damage in the playoffs, start walking and talking with a bit of a swagger. I can't wait for the playoffs to start.

Old
03-30-2004, 11:27 AM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
That's because he keeps getting traded

Old
03-30-2004, 11:51 AM
Spiral Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
Ed Belfour (Blackhawks, Stars and Leafs)

Joseph won 30+ games with four teams (Blues, Oilers, Leafs and Wings).

Closed Thread