Notices

Parise The Devil...

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2004, 02:33 AM
Wild Bill

vCash: 500
Parise The Devil...

...or a Devil. Good news for Gopher fans.

http://www.newjerseydevils.com/2004/.../site2004.html

Old
03-30-2004, 02:34 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Vanek the Sabre?

Old
03-30-2004, 06:53 AM
ceber

I was surprised that he signed. I was expecting one more season.

The Sabres would be nuts to bring Vanek in, IMO. The guy needs more time.

Old
03-30-2004, 08:10 AM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
What does Vanek need?

Old
03-30-2004, 08:30 AM
ceber

More time!

I think really just for overall conditioning, if nothing else. Maybe some improvement on his work without the puck. His puck skills are surely ready, I'd say. If I had to pick something else I'd ask to see more consistent effort from him, but that's something I don't like to complain about, because it seems awfully tough to judge. Just an opinion though.. I'm no expert!

Old
03-30-2004, 08:51 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Well, if Vanek needs more work, he'd get more of it in the AHL than in college hockey, if the Sabres deem him unworthy of an NHL spot. He has little to gain staying at the U, now that the three peat is no more

Old
03-30-2004, 07:13 PM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
Well, if Vanek needs more work, he'd get more of it in the AHL than in college hockey, if the Sabres deem him unworthy of an NHL spot. He has little to gain staying at the U
I totally agree with this. Thomas has nothing left to prove with the Gophers, except maybe a Hobey, but this is just a footnote in what should be a long, illustrious career. The kid can flat out play. Playing against inferior talent could lead to complacency and regression. I'm sure Buffalo doesn't want this.

IMO He has all the tools and will prove that next year by making the jump to the big show.

Old
03-30-2004, 09:42 PM
DW

Quote:
Playing against inferior talent could lead to complacency and regression
Which is the reason he needs to move on. He will not improve playing against college players. He needs pro-level coaching if he wishes to live his dream.

Old
03-31-2004, 02:38 PM
jiggs 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher
What does Vanek need?
A heart. Some work on his defense. Nothing 5 years in the AHL won't cure. This guy is one of the LAZIEST players I've ever seen in 36 years of watching hockey! He's like Heatley was in college, only worse. He only tries when he has the puck, and Lindy Ruff won't EVER play him if he tries that in Buffalo!
He's got all the hand skills he'll ever need, but he has to learn to play HARD, and all the time, not just once in a while. Maybe the college game lets him get away with that too much. Maybe a year in the AHL will show him what he needs to make the NHL. Sorry if I'm hard on the guy, but I hate players who coast a lot (and that would include Bochenski at ND, too).

Old
03-31-2004, 06:16 PM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
I have seen him drop to block a shot, although it was ugly, he plays hard at times, in big games he does more, like Heatley did, the difference, WI after Reinpricht was a terrible team, MN this year was not, Vanek still could coast. Granted i wish he had the heart of Riddle or Waibel then we would have a player, but he is not like that. I am not found of floaters either, But players can surprise. If i remember right Mike Modano was a hot shot kid with speed that scored and he turned into IMO the best two player in the league. So Vanek may surprise. Never a defnsive stopper. Remember Heatley is a -30 something for his career, i ll give him he is on a bad team.

Closed Thread