HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers' Pre-Season Schedule (post #1) and Camp Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-30-2009, 02:56 PM
  #726
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I enjoyed the mental image.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Not even goodbye?
I bet JXC was outside waiting with the engine running.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:05 PM
  #727
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
JVR looked awesome yesterday. He was playing snarky and getting in peoples faces
Can he fight? He better if he wants to be a Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium
Argh where are the rosters?
This is pretty much it:

12 Simon Gagne
13 Daniel Carcillo
14 Ian Laperriere
17 Jeff Carter
18 Mike Richards
19 Scott Hartnell
21 James Van Riemsdyk
27 Mika Pyorala
28 Claude Giroux
32 Riley Cote
36 Darroll Powe
45 Arron Asham
48 Daniel Briere

5 Brayden Coburn
20 Chris Pronger
25 Matt Carle
26 Danny Syvret
44 Kimmo Timonen
55 Ole-Kristian Tollefsen
77 Ryan Parent

29 Ray Emery
33 Brian Boucher

Boucher on IR replaced by Backlund. That's 22 players, still room for Betts.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:08 PM
  #728
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
I just can't believe Riley Cote still has a spot on this team. No, I do not give a **** how good of a locker room guy he or how good of a guy he is in general. What a waste.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:10 PM
  #729
ToTheNet
Registered User
 
ToTheNet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Holland, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,281
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
I just can't believe Riley Cote still has a spot on this team. No, I do not give a **** how good of a locker room guy he or how good of a guy he is in general. What a waste.
agreed

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:12 PM
  #730
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
There's a difference between "spot on the team" and "playing on the team."

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:14 PM
  #731
ToTheNet
Registered User
 
ToTheNet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Holland, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,281
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
There's a difference between "spot on the team" and "playing on the team."
he shouldn't have either.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:15 PM
  #732
Banger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
There's a difference between "spot on the team" and "playing on the team."
If he isn't going to "play on the team" then why give him a spot? I can't see him play more than once every 4 or 5 games. He's a waste of cap room.

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:19 PM
  #733
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger View Post
If he isn't going to "play on the team" then why give him a spot? I can't see him play more than once every 4 or 5 games. He's a waste of cap room.
Because 13th/14th forwards can't just be anybody. You can't use a young guy there because they typically need the ice time. You can't really use a vet there because it's wasting an asset, you're better off trading them if they can't contribute everyday. You need a guy who accepts the role and has some iota of value to your team, but basically no value elsewhere. Cote's 550k is not doing much wasting of our cap space.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:26 PM
  #734
96
Esq.
 
96's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
This is pretty much it:

12 Simon Gagne
13 Daniel Carcillo
14 Ian Laperriere
17 Jeff Carter
18 Mike Richards
19 Scott Hartnell
21 James Van Riemsdyk
27 Mika Pyorala
28 Claude Giroux
32 Riley Cote
36 Darroll Powe
45 Arron Asham
48 Daniel Briere

5 Brayden Coburn
20 Chris Pronger
25 Matt Carle
26 Danny Syvret
44 Kimmo Timonen
55 Ole-Kristian Tollefsen
77 Ryan Parent

29 Ray Emery
33 Brian Boucher

Boucher on IR replaced by Backlund. That's 22 players, still room for Betts.
Holmgren said that there is some weird rule in place and that he can't just "replace" Boucher with Backlund on the roster. The Flyers wil have to have 3 goalies on their roster today.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:27 PM
  #735
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,214
vCash: 500
Cote is our heavyweight. Maybe he's not a winner, but they'll throw him out against Orr, Brashear and the big guns. Otherwise those guys will kill our stars. We need Cote.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:30 PM
  #736
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helter Skelter View Post
Holmgren said that there is some weird rule in place and that he can't just "replace" Boucher with Backlund on the roster. The Flyers wil have to have 3 goalies on their roster today.
I think it's possible one way or the other if they put Boucher on IR, which they did. But not sure.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:34 PM
  #737
freakydallas13
Registered User
 
freakydallas13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,154
vCash: 500
just put syvret on the phantoms for a few games

or put boche on the ltir

or put powe on the phantoms for a few games

or put cote on the phantoms for a few games

or put JVR on the phantoms for a few games

there are many ways we can fit betts on the roster

freakydallas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:46 PM
  #738
jd2210
Registered Non User
 
jd2210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
"Around here" as in Norway? Are there a lot of hockey insiders over there?

Anyway on the cote subject I have zero problems with him as 14th forward. Top 12 no, but the odd game and then up to the press box is what he was made for.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:48 PM
  #739
96
Esq.
 
96's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
I think it's possible one way or the other if they put Boucher on IR, which they did. But not sure.
Holmgren said yesterday that it was not possible.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:48 PM
  #740
CptCannon
Registered User
 
CptCannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,970
vCash: 500
Yeah, better throw Cote out of the team and put Maroon sit in the pressbox for 82 games, his development will skyrocket for sure!

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:49 PM
  #741
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,119
vCash: 500
Why couldn't we just put Powe in the Phantoms for a few games, sign Betts, figure out the goalie situation, and then call up Powe?

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:57 PM
  #742
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,895
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Why couldn't we just put Powe in the Phantoms for a few games, sign Betts, figure out the goalie situation, and then call up Powe?
Because that's too simple.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 04:05 PM
  #743
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...
 
Ex Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Why couldn't we just put Powe in the Phantoms for a few games, sign Betts, figure out the goalie situation, and then call up Powe?
Because this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Because that's too simple.
And because Homer got the Jones thing right - which means we're in line for a series of mind-boggling decisions to even it out.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 04:06 PM
  #744
ForsbergIsOdin
Registered User
 
ForsbergIsOdin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Asgaard
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I bet JXC was outside waiting with the engine running.
I Lol'd

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 04:11 PM
  #745
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,214
vCash: 500
What's the matter this Boucher anyway? He didn't play very well, he ends up on IR if he lifts his leg 2 feet, and now he seems to create problems on the roster. We obviously can't play our best possible team because of him.

I wonder if the Flyers will take the price for the worst signing in the league this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210
"Around here" as in Norway? Are there a lot of hockey insiders over there?
I was refering to these boards.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 04:20 PM
  #746
captainpaxil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Why couldn't we just put Powe in the Phantoms for a few games, sign Betts, figure out the goalie situation, and then call up Powe?
once you play 40 games on the roster you have to clear waivers to be sent down even if you have a two way contract. its really just a money thing under the new cba.

jvr pyorala and syvret are the only guys who wouldnt have to clear that im sure of.

im not currently aware if time spent on ir counts as time on the active roster so far as waivers is concerned but if it doesnt then briere parent and tollefson would be able to be added to the list.

in order to send anyone else down every other team would get a crack at them.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 04:23 PM
  #747
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
once you play 40 games on the roster you have to clear waivers to be sent down even if you have a two way contract. its really just a money thing under the new cba.

jvr pyorala and syvret are the only guys who wouldnt have to clear that im sure of.

im not currently aware if time spent on ir counts as time on the active roster so far as waivers is concerned but if it doesnt then briere parent and tollefson would be able to be added to the list.

in order to send anyone else down every other team would get a crack at them.
I dont think this is a rule.
http://www.nhlscap.com/waivers.htm

you must have heard of 1 particular player who needed 40 games before he lost waiver exemption

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 04:29 PM
  #748
CptCannon
Registered User
 
CptCannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,970
vCash: 500
Come on Homer! Throw someone to the Phantoms for a week or two and sign Betts already, don't wanna stay awake all night long waiting for the news.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 04:40 PM
  #749
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
American winger James van Riemsdyk and Finnish forward Mika Pyorala have made the Flyers' roster, the club announced.

No agreement was reached with veteran center Blair Betts on a contract and general manager Paul Holmgren did not sound optimistic.

To accommodate these moves by Wednesday’s 3 p.m. NHL roster deadline, the Flyers assigned Randy Jones to the Phantoms. He had been waived over the weekend and cleared waivers on Monday.

Jones going to the Phantoms takes $2.75 million off the Flyers salary cap. The cap this season is $56.8 million.

Also making the roster are defenseman Danny Syvret and veteran Ole-Kristian Tollefsen.
http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...157&feedID=704

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 05:06 PM
  #750
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
once you play 40 games on the roster you have to clear waivers to be sent down even if you have a two way contract. its really just a money thing under the new cba.
That's not true

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.