HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other College Free Agents

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2004, 10:19 PM
Park #2

vCash: 500
Other College Free Agents

I've heard the Rangers have been actively pursuing College Free Agents in addition to Pock including:

Scott Basuik (D) - RPI
Curtis Glenncross (C/RW) - Alaska Anchorage
Junior Lessard (C/W) - Minn Duluth
Rene Bourque (LW) - Wisconsin
Tony Voce (F) - BC
Prestin Ryan (D) - Maine

Heard they made an offer to Yann Danis (G) but he chose to take MTL offer (He's from Quebec).

Old
03-23-2004, 10:27 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Good list, all those players are pretty good.

Old
03-23-2004, 11:02 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park #2
I've heard the Rangers have been actively pursuing College Free Agents in addition to Pock including:

Scott Basuik (D) - RPI
Tony Voce (F) - BC
Prestin Ryan (D) - Maine

Heard they made an offer to Yann Danis (G) but he chose to take MTL offer (He's from Quebec).
God. I would LOVE to get Voce, Basuik and Ryan. Lessard would be nice, also.

Old
03-23-2004, 11:03 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
Good list, all those players are pretty good.
They are... I think they'd be happy with one or two from it.

Old
03-23-2004, 11:04 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveille
God. I would LOVE to get Voce, Basuik and Ryan. Lessard would be nice, also.
Voce reminds of Gionta, doesn't he? I like Basuik, Glencross and Lessard off that list - in that order.

Old
03-23-2004, 11:06 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Voce reminds of Gionta, doesn't he? I like Basuik, Glencross and Lessard off that list - in that order.
I was thinking the exact same thing about Voce.

I just really like Ryan. I don't know why. But I would love Basiuk also. Good defensive d-man with a bit of a mean streak. I've heard he has good leadership qualities but thats about as much as I know of him.

Old
03-23-2004, 11:08 PM
Park #2

Quote:
I was thinking the exact same thing about Voce.

I just really like Ryan. I don't know why. But I would love Basiuk also. Good defensive d-man with a bit of a mean streak. I've heard he has good leadership qualities but thats about as much as I know of him.
Good leadership qualities indeed. His got nice size, and can play mean. To me, he is what the Rangers are lacking.

Old
03-23-2004, 11:14 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Good leadership qualities indeed. His got nice size, and can play mean. To me, he is what the Rangers are lacking.
Is his skating good?

I haven't followed any hockey besides Euro this year. I haven't had the chance.

But I DO have a Nigel Dawes article all ready. Mmm. One more day and it'll be released for the masses.

Old
03-23-2004, 11:27 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Is his skating good?

I haven't followed any hockey besides Euro this year. I haven't had the chance.

But I DO have a Nigel Dawes article all ready. Mmm. One more day and it'll be released for the masses.
I would say it's solid. It's not the strongest point in his game, but certainly not a glaring weakness either. I like him.

Old
03-24-2004, 08:22 AM
L.I.RangerFan

What does everyone think of Steve Saviano of New Hampshire? Smallish forward who plays tougher then his size and appears to have good leadership skills and tenacity.

Could someone give some scouting reports on the FA's that Park#2 listed. I have heard of a few of them but don't know too much about them.

Thanks.

Old
03-24-2004, 09:35 AM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:

Scott Basuik (D) - RPI
Tony Voce (F) - BC
Prestin Ryan (D) - Maine

Basuik, Glenncross, Bourque and Ryan are from Western Canada (Saskatoon or Alberta). Voce is from Pennsylvania and Lessard is from Quebec.

Glenncross, Lessard, Voce and Bourque led their teams in goals and/or points.

Basuik and Glenncross are the only ones who have completed their seasons, the rest are in the final four tourny.

Old
03-24-2004, 11:26 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I like all those players listed so far, especially Basiuk, Bourque, Voce & Lessard.

I think Bourque will be signed, don't know about the rest.

Old
03-24-2004, 02:48 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
I like all those players listed so far, especially Basiuk, Bourque, Voce & Lessard.

I think Bourque will be signed, don't know about the rest.
No way in hell Basiuk and Voce aren't signed.

Old
03-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
No way in hell Basiuk and Voce aren't signed.
By the Ranger's you mean, or by some other NHL team? I was saying that i think we will sign Bourque for sure, the others i don't know about.

Old
03-24-2004, 03:15 PM
charliemurphy

There is no way that Voce and Basiuk are not signed by other NHL teams.
Wiil check up on that.

Old
03-24-2004, 04:01 PM
sickboy35

question for you guys. how do these players go to free agency without being drafted? in other words, don't they have to get drafted first? if that makes any sense let me know? i'm just confused as to why they can be had for just money, and not be drafted or go through waivers and such? thanks!

Old
03-24-2004, 04:05 PM
ddheyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy35
question for you guys. how do these players go to free agency without being drafted? in other words, don't they have to get drafted first? if that makes any sense let me know? i'm just confused as to why they can be had for just money, and not be drafted or go through waivers and such? thanks!
I believe (emphasis on believe) that what happens is before they go to college they applied for the draft and were not drafted, therefore becoming undrafted free-agents. They weren't signed by anyone. Now they go to college and apparently play better, garnering interest upon which they can be signed by anyone as they are undrafted free-agents.

Hope that wasn't too complicated.

Old
03-24-2004, 04:44 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy35
it has to do with draft eligibility rules...a north american player over the age of 20 is too old to enter the draft.

so for a player like pock he was never drafted and now he is too old to re-enter the draft so he becomes a UFA

keep in mind that guys often get drafted either after their senior year of high school or freshmen year of college...so lots of times a guy might not be worthy of being drafted at 17-18 but then 4 years down the road after a solid college career they might develop into a solid player

Old
03-24-2004, 05:32 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
By the Ranger's you mean, or by some other NHL team? I was saying that i think we will sign Bourque for sure, the others i don't know about.
Ooooooh.

I thought you were meaning in general.

Old
03-24-2004, 09:20 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:

Prestin Ryan (D) - Maine
I'll keep my eye on these two during the regionals this weekend, and try to post some kid of lame atempt at a scouting report.

Old
03-25-2004, 05:13 PM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:

Scott Basuik (D) - RPI
Tony Voce (F) - BC
Prestin Ryan (D) - Maine

Cross Glenncross off the list, he signed with the Mighty Ducks.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/st.htm

Last edited by L.I.RangerFan: 03-26-2004 at 10:21 AM.
Old
03-26-2004, 09:59 AM
OFSY34

[QUOTE=Park #2]I've heard the Rangers have been actively pursuing College Free Agents:

CAM KEITH - from the UAF NANOOKS is in the mix on an amateur tryout contract at the moment.

http://www.gonanooks.com/artman/publ...icle_459.shtml

Last edited by OFSY34: 03-26-2004 at 10:07 AM.
Old
03-26-2004, 10:39 AM
L.I.RangerFan

FA Defensemen

Are there any college senior FA defensemen out there, who are either done playing or will be done after this weekend that are mean, crease clearing, nasty SOB's? After the last few games, it has become quite apparent that this is one glaring need, right now.

How many goals have been scored from right in front of the net? No one, other than the rare occasion, is taking the man out in front of the net. Rachunek looks like a Poti clone, although he is a little better defensively. IMHO the Rangers have the softest defense in the league.

Take Tjutin, Pock and Rachunek and give them decent tough partners. Mironov is good with Tjutin, so leave that alone. Sign two of the toughest college FA's and put them with the other two. This is the time to try it, the games are meaningless and you may find that proverbial diamond in the rough. Put Poti and Purinton in the pressbox, we all know what they can do. Leave McAllister as a wing, to give you flexibility.

Sign two tough college d-men, let them play. Whats the worst that can happen? You have more depth if they don't pan out right away.

Old
03-26-2004, 10:46 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.RangerFan
Are there any college senior FA defensemen out there, who are either done playing or will be done after this weekend that are mean, crease clearing, nasty SOB's? After the last few games, it has become quite apparent that this is one glaring need, right now.

How many goals have been scored from right in front of the net? No one, other than the rare occasion, is taking the man out in front of the net. Rachunek looks like a Poti clone, although he is a little better defensively. IMHO the Rangers have the softest defense in the league.

Take Tjutin, Pock and Rachunek and give them decent tough partners. Mironov is good with Tjutin, so leave that alone. Sign two of the toughest college FA's and put them with the other two. This is the time to try it, the games are meaningless and you may find that proverbial diamond in the rough. Put Poti and Purinton in the pressbox, we all know what they can do. Leave McAllister as a wing, to give you flexibility.

Sign two tough college d-men, let them play. Whats the worst that can happen? You have more depth if they don't pan out right away.
Yeah that would be good. Also, Sam and JD were talking about Guenin and Taylor last night. Guenin sounds a bit small but Taylor sounds great. Of course I have never seen either play.

If the Rangers can get Liffiton into the mix that would help. And, of course, Darius Kasparaitis will be back.

03-26-2004, 10:50 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Yeah that would be good. Also, Sam and JD were talking about Guenin and Taylor last night. Guenin sounds a bit small but Taylor sounds great. Of course I have never seen either play.

If the Rangers can get Liffiton into the mix that would help. And, of course, Darius Kasparaitis will be back.
Taylor should be a good #3/4 but he has a ways to go.

Closed Thread