HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

6 UFA's nabbed ... unheard of for montreal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-10-2009, 06:07 PM
  #26
TheGoalJudge
Registered User
 
TheGoalJudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,116
vCash: 500
I'd rather sign one good FA to help push my team over the top then overpay 6 guys to rebuild my team.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 06:08 PM
  #27
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
Guess this off-season puts to bed the myth that players don't want to come to Montreal.
Players didn't want to come to Montreal during Koivu's era .
Players want to come to Montreal now that it 's Gomez era .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 06:19 PM
  #28
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,733
vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
Players didn't want to come to Montreal during Koivu's era .
Players want to come to Montreal now that it 's Gomez era .
I think this is the type of comment that whether you intended or not, just makes people's imagination run wild and assume koivu was the problem. We didn't have a first line center, getting lecavalier and keeping koivu would work, getting gomez keeping koivu would work, getting marleau and keeping koivu would work too. For ****s sake, we didn't have a first line center, whether we got joe thornton, eric staal, gomez, marleau, any first line center in the league really, people would be interested. It's the habs fault for not making this team interesting with a first line center + koivu option when he was still around. It has zero to do with koivu.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 06:30 PM
  #29
Habsfan18
Registered User
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,027
vCash: 500
It's awesome, isn't it?

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 06:30 PM
  #30
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,977
vCash: 500
Montreal had a ton of money to work with while most of the other NHL teams are cap strapped.

Money talks.

Any money left for Shanahan?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 06:34 PM
  #31
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I think this is the type of comment that whether you intended or not, just makes people's imagination run wild and assume koivu was the problem. We didn't have a first line center, getting lecavalier and keeping koivu would work, getting gomez keeping koivu would work, getting marleau and keeping koivu would work too. For ****s sake, we didn't have a first line center, whether we got joe thornton, eric staal, gomez, marleau, any first line center in the league really, people would be interested. It's the habs fault for not making this team interesting with a first line center + koivu option when he was still around. It has zero to do with koivu.
Turgeon , Damphousse and Ribeiro have been traded to make room to Koivu because HE WAS our first centre . For two seasons now , the fans are talking of a second line center , but before he was considered by most of the fans not only as a first center but as a GOOD first liner .He was the soul and heart of the Habs , the face of the team .

What did the new players said when they 've signed with the Habs ? they did it because of Gomez .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 06:44 PM
  #32
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,733
vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
Turgeon , Damphousse and Ribeiro have been traded to make room to Koivu because HE WAS our first centre . For two seasons now , the fans are talking of a second line center , but before he was considered by most of the fans not only as a first center but as a GOOD first liner .He was the soul and heart of the Habs , the face of the team .

What did the new players said when they 've signed with the Habs ? they did it because of Gomez .
Ribeiro was a headcase. What's your point with the other 2 names? Koivu wasn't even 25 by the point both were gone. He was young speedy, talented and had the same credentials as now, minus cancer season and knee injuries. No **** he's no longer close to a first line center, but it has nothing to do with him. Like i said, if we got gomez or lecavalier and retained koivu anyway, people would still be interested. It doesn't have to do with Koivu because he's our second line center. No FA is excited to play with a 2nd line center. So you get a first, and whether or not he stays, people will want to come.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 06:51 PM
  #33
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
Players didn't want to come to Montreal during Koivu's era .
Players want to come to Montreal now that it 's Gomez era .
we need to put a stop to this...

the whole "UFA's won't sign in montreal" was never as factual as some people made it out to be.

Sure, we tried to land a big fish and failed a few years in a row, but there only are 2-3 big targets every year and many many suitors...

this year we've signed a bunch, but it's also because we had a ridiculous amount of cap space AND roster spots to dangle about, and THAT way more than having Gomez, is why we are signing "so many ufa's"...

in the past we've signed:

Hamrlik- better than any of the dmen we got this year

Samsonov/Johnson- at the time they signed, they were producing similarly to Gionta

Dandenault- brought in to do what Moen is now here for (though less physical)

gill, mara, and spacek are all 2nd/3rd tier free agents, if you don't believe we couldn't have landed similar type players in the past had we targeted them, you're not being very realistic.

that leaves only Cammalleri as a player (make that a forwrard) at a level that we haven't attracted in the past.

but then think of Kovalev. he re-signed with us instead of becoming a UFA and testing the market... just about the same thing as far as "attracting a player, or players wanting to play in montreal"


It amazes me how much people are falling over themselves trying to connect the terrible Gomez trade with the "wonder" of being able to sign multiple UFA's in an offseason were we let go of 10 players and had more cap space than anyone else on the market...

we overpaid for Gionta and Cammalleri, THAT's the main reason why they signed so quickly... With Gionta, the Gomez factor probably played a bigger role, but if anything that kind of reflects poorly on gainey, since he should have been able to parlay that into getting him to sign for less than what he did (either in terms or in years).
With Cammalleri, if you know anything about the player/person, you have to know that the $$ and the city played the biggest role in his decision.

but i guess if it helps people convince themselves the Gomez fleecing was worth it because of this imagined "fact", then by all means, enjoy...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 07:01 PM
  #34
Redux91
I do Three bullets.
 
Redux91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,236
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
I'd rather sign one good FA to help push my team over the top then overpay 6 guys to rebuild my team.
and thats why weve won a stanley cup in the last 15 years right... :/

tell me, u sign that 1 FA to push ur team, ..so what do u do with the other 10 UFA's u had on ur team, ..as far as i know... kovalev was given a raise, komisarek was given a raise, koivu , who knows with koivu, i doubt he would of taken a pay cut to stay in montreal, he took a pay cut to go to anaheim, but only after montreal ran out of money for forwards

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 07:09 PM
  #35
JayBee*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,652
vCash: 500
I think it had a lot to do with the Gomez trade and the fact that they FINALLY got a bonafide coach. I'm sure Gainey told all the UFA's that he would be completely changing the team. That also helped. Then you land Cammi...that showed the league that Gainey was serious about winning.

I also think Gainey's strategy was different. Instead of zero-ing in on one player for a bunch of days and not landing them....Gainey gave take it or leave it offers to a number of players....that's how Kovy got screwed. Gainey was not messing around.."you don't like the offer? I'll find someone who does". Gainey has been the bridesmaid way too many times.

The team is better than it was last year by quite a bit and that's all I care about. A big 2nd line center would look great but we'll see what plekanec can do. This team is no longer SOFT...and that's what pissed me off about the Habs for so many years....

I still think Montreal still has to overpay to lure players over there but it's looking like Gainey might not have to try as hard as past years. A lot of good character guys that are well liked on this team.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 07:13 PM
  #36
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,733
vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
and thats why weve won a stanley cup in the last 15 years right... :/

tell me, u sign that 1 FA to push ur team, ..so what do u do with the other 10 UFA's u had on ur team, ..as far as i know... kovalev was given a raise, komisarek was given a raise, koivu , who knows with koivu, i doubt he would of taken a pay cut to stay in montreal, he took a pay cut to go to anaheim, but only after montreal ran out of money for forwards
There were many reports and rumours swirling that koivu desperately wanted to stay in montreal and was willing to take a paycut.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 07:17 PM
  #37
habs86
Registered User
 
habs86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Prince Albert, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 524
vCash: 600
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
i love the new addittions that BG has made.
my two questions are :

1. would it not be beneifical to sign a solid back-up goaltender for price?
2. would it not be a good idea to sign a kolzig or biron as a mental insurance
policy ?

habs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 07:18 PM
  #38
m00ks
Registered User
 
m00ks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,911
vCash: 500
Miller Time my man, you need chill out. Exciting times we have here, there's no need to dwell on what's done. This is your team now for better or worse so I suggest sit back, lay off the negativity and cheer your team to do well. Just a suggestion since you don't seem to be in a very good place right now.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 07:19 PM
  #39
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Ribeiro was a headcase. What's your point with the other 2 names? Koivu wasn't even 25 by the point both were gone. He was young speedy, talented and had the same credentials as now, minus cancer season and knee injuries. No **** he's no longer close to a first line center, but it has nothing to do with him. Like i said, if we got gomez or lecavalier and retained koivu anyway, people would still be interested. It doesn't have to do with Koivu because he's our second line center. No FA is excited to play with a 2nd line center. So you get a first, and whether or not he stays, people will want to come.
I agree when you say " if we got Gomez and retained Koivu anyway , players would still be interested ". But because it 's now the Gomez era , because he would have been the new face of the team with or without Koivu .

If you look at the stats sheet of Gomez , you will see that they are very similar to the one of Koivu . Similar also to the ones of Plekanec 2 years ago , when he centered one of the best first line of the NHL . That didn't change the fact that the players didn't want to play for the Habs .

It isn't about being first or second liners , but about charisma . And players want to play along Gomez .

Scott Gomez
Center
Born Dec 23 1979 -- Anchorage, AK
Height 5.11 -- Weight 200 -- Shoots L


Selected by New Jersey Devils round 1 #27 overall 1998 NHL Entry Draft

--- Regular Season -
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1999-00 New Jersey Devils NHL 82 19 51 70
2000-01 New Jersey Devils NHL 76 14 49 63
2001-02 New Jersey Devils NHL 76 10 38 48
2002-03 New Jersey Devils NHL 80 13 42 55
2003-04 New Jersey Devils NHL 80 14 56 70
2004-2005 lock out
2005-06 New Jersey Devils NHL 82 33 51 84
2006-07 New Jersey Devils NHL 72 13 47 60
2007-08 New York Rangers NHL 81 16 54 70
2008-09 New York Rangers NHL 77 16 42 58
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NHL Totals 706 148 430 578

That said , i don't accuse Koivu of nothing , but was talking about his era . Koivu wasn't responsable of the way the team editions were builded

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 07:20 PM
  #40
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
I'd rather sign one good FA to help push my team over the top then overpay 6 guys to rebuild my team.
in principle i agree but this isn't about having 1-2 supastars. It's about having a team system with Martin with players that will do well in that sort of environment.

Where did the wild go with Gaborik? They made the west finals once in 5-6 yrs? Havlat had Toews/Kane with him and a strong team overall. Lecavalier won a cup and then nothing.

Now look at some other teams with good systems like the Canes/Devils and Wings, they compete every year..

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 07:47 PM
  #41
Kafka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,123
vCash: 500
I am now wondering if Koivu was part of the reason why UFA's didn't want to come... just an idea.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 08:05 PM
  #42
Mustafa*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
The legends surounding the Habs locker room made the player afraid to sign here. I always thought that, Montreal is a town appart from the rest of the NHL, it's kind of mysterious even for the people of TSN, who can't never make an accurate picture of the team or what is it realy with the Montreal media and fans.

The revamping of this year is a bit of Bob Gainey's changes and a bit of timing plus a ton of Cap space.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 08:24 PM
  #43
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
I'd rather sign one good FA to help push my team over the top then overpay 6 guys to rebuild my team.
So would a fan of every team in every sport.

The habs were nowhere near being just 1 guy away though.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 08:42 PM
  #44
la25ecoupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,777
vCash: 500
Overpaid Gomez? We didn't sign his contract..

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 08:43 PM
  #45
la25ecoupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,777
vCash: 500
Now it's time to clean the Montreal media, any ufa leaving?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 08:44 PM
  #46
Redux91
I do Three bullets.
 
Redux91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,236
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
So would a fan of every team in every sport.

The habs were nowhere near being just 1 guy away though.
yeah..more like..

7 ..

players away

O.O

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:04 PM
  #47
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 27,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
Guess this off-season puts to bed the myth that players don't want to come to Montreal.
I wouldn't bet on that if I were you. Pretty sure it won't be long before someone says ''well...we didn't sign superstars!''...and that's gonna be the new critic.

EDIT: As I predicted..it only took a few other posts after yours...


Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
The guys who came aren't superstars by any means. They are good players but gionta didnt get a contract from NJ, and he had a chance to play with a former teammate he had success with + 5 mil a year so he came. Mike C got 6 mil a year, he took the offer, and i think he wanted to play in a hockey atmosphere so that helped. But i don't see how OMG we got hall gill or meon to sign here is such a big thing. Good acquisitions but we never had a prob with second tier guys. We got hammer before this, this isn't a huge thing for me honestly. All it means to me is gainey aggressively went after them. They saw change and were excited for change. Doesn't mean we couldn't have signed these same guys in previous conditions.
If Gomez isn't here, I don't think Gionta signs here. I also don't think Cammalleri signs here because all Gainey could have said is ''you'll be playing with Plekanec''.

The last ''2nd tier guy'' if you want to call it that, that we signed via UFA was Samsonov. So, Gionta+Cammalleri are big signings compared to that.

You can certainly say they would have signed here in previous years, but point of the matter is the same type of players DIDN'T sign here previously.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
No it doesn't, it just means we have to overpay obviously. Lets not kid ourselves.
Really?..players are overpaid on UFA??..wow, that's new..

Komisarek at 4.5M is a steal!

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:12 PM
  #48
Redux91
I do Three bullets.
 
Redux91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,236
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I wouldn't bet on that if I were you. Pretty sure it won't be long before someone says ''well...we didn't sign superstars!''...and that's gonna be the new critic.

EDIT: As I predicted..it only took a few other posts after yours...




If Gomez isn't here, I don't think Gionta signs here. I also don't think Cammalleri signs here because all Gainey could have said is ''you'll be playing with Plekanec''.

The last ''2nd tier guy'' if you want to call it that, that we signed via UFA was Samsonov. So, Gionta+Cammalleri are big signings compared to that.

You can certainly say they would have signed here in previous years, but point of the matter is the same type of players DIDN'T sign here previously.




Really?..players are overpaid on UFA??..wow, that's new..

Komisarek at 4.5M is a steal!
its funny, komisarek NEVER touched 20 pts a season and gets 4.5 mill, mara has two 40 point seasons under his belt and 21 points last year and gets 1.6 mill lol

ill take it

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:27 PM
  #49
panorama01*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Libya
Posts: 1,832
vCash: 500
Dandenault was brought in to replace Brisebois. In fact, there was talk in 2003-04 of trading Brisebois for Dandenault. In 2005, Brisebois was bought out and they signed Dandenault to replace him.

panorama01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:33 PM
  #50
davenash
Registered User
 
davenash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rimouski, PQ
Posts: 1,094
vCash: 500
The Cammy signing really took me by surprise, he was probably at the top of my list. The fact that he said that Gomez was an important factor leads me to think that the Gomez trade was a good one in hindsight. Can't wait for the puck to drop in October.

davenash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.