HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

2004 Draft who would you take and where.

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2004, 11:44 AM
Cup

vCash: 500
2004 Draft who would you take and where.

In the upcoming draft who would you take, why would you take that player and with what pick would you take them.

Old
03-22-2004, 01:50 PM
Birko19

Well, that would depends what we have, we don't have a 1st nor a second, and looking at this year's draft it's not really as deep as last year, so it doesn't sound too exciting when your team is drafting that late, but as a Wings fan you always have the luxury of having those late gems, let's hope Hakan can do his magic again this summer.

Although I would want us to draft a quality defender, but it's better off drafting the best player avalible, one guy who has dropped big time is Viktor Alexandrov, ever since his father died he has't been the same, before that he had top notch potential, I guess his father's death has been pretty hard on him, but the Wings can always use a risk like that when they're drafting around 90th overall, I mean we have nothing to lose, the kid is very talented and could have top line potential, by the way he's from Kazakhistan.

Old
03-22-2004, 01:57 PM
Cup

What about Blake Wheeler, Brandon Dubinsky or Gino Pisellini?

Old
03-22-2004, 02:16 PM
Birko19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup4Wings
What about Blake Wheeler, Brandon Dubinsky or Gino Pisellini?
Not too sure about the other 2 but Dubinsky is decent, however Alexandrov's potential is just too good to pass on, I doubt he'll be there when we draft anyways so I guess I can settle with Dubinsky if he's there.

Old
03-22-2004, 04:29 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
this draft is going to be horrible for us as it is, might as well just draft all boom or busts and see if we can get some gems...

Old
03-22-2004, 05:29 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
If we are going boom or bust, might as well get a HUGE d-man. Hopefully not a Kuz clone...... Maybe throw some enforcers into our system....

Old
03-22-2004, 05:49 PM
Spitfire11

I'm hoping Detroit takes defenseman Scott Lehman from St.Mikes. He had a rough start to the season, but quit taking dumb penalties and has really taken off in the second half. There is no part of his game that really stands out, but he can do everything well. He'll probably be a 3rd or 4th round pick, 5th at the latest.

Old
03-22-2004, 06:08 PM
Grift69

Send a message via AIM to Grift69 Send a message via MSN to Grift69
What happened to the 2nd round pick, I dont remember givin it away.

Old
03-22-2004, 06:54 PM
Coffey77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grift69
What happened to the 2nd round pick, I dont remember givin it away.

That was given up in the Schneider deal.

Old
03-22-2004, 08:27 PM
Grift69

Send a message via AIM to Grift69 Send a message via MSN to Grift69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffey77
That was given up in the Schneider deal.
Thanks, I totally forgot about that. I was wondering why everyone was givin the detroit pick to boston this year.

Old
03-22-2004, 08:40 PM
Boomhower

I always look forward to the draft, but from a Red Wings prospective their isn't much too talk about leading up to the draft. When you don't pick until somewhere between 90-95, it's really tough to gauge (or get excited about) what might still be around.

So as Wings fans, what we'll lack (I assume) in pre-draft predictions, we'll have to make up for after the draft with an enormous over analysis of our mid-round draft picks.

Last edited by Boomhower: 03-22-2004 at 09:23 PM.
Old
03-25-2004, 02:12 PM
User Name

vCash:
I've seen Pisellini play and he's the type of player we could use. He fights a lot and score if he needs to. He's probably like a McCarty with a little more offensive ability.

Good player .. We need someone like him if we can get him to slip to the 3rd round.

Old
03-25-2004, 02:36 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name
I've seen Pisellini play and he's the type of player we could use. He fights a lot and score if he needs to. He's probably like a McCarty with a little more offensive ability.

Good player .. We need someone like him if we can get him to slip to the 3rd round.
McCarty scored a ton of goals in juniors. Most of the eventual NHL players show good offensive ability, it's one of the reasons why they make it So from your description it sounds like Pisellini could be just like a McCarty.

Old
03-25-2004, 03:51 PM
User Name

vCash:
That's true, I forgot what a sniper Mac was :p.

Pisellini had 30 points and 214 PIM with the Plymouth Whalers this season, so I think McCarty had more points than him. It's Pisellini's first season in the OHL so he'll probably increase that point total, but as of now McCarty has him beat. I still think Pisellini is a little more offensive though, just his points don't show it.

Oh well, Wings will probably end up taking some European sleeper :p

Old
03-25-2004, 06:24 PM
ginnungagap

In fact I think McCarty led the OHL in goals his last year of junior. Of course, somebody correct me if I'm wrong- but I remember reading in the Detroit papers that some of Detroit's scouts grumbled and thought he was taken a little earlier than he should have been, thought his offense wouldn't translate to the NHL.

Old
03-28-2004, 07:07 AM
TK79

One huge sleeper who will probably be available at #90 is Finnish sniper Pasi Salonen. He was one of the last cuts for the U20 WJC team and led the team in goals in the excibition games. He's a guy who has fallen under the radar this season, mainly because he didn't make the U20 national team and is too old (born late 1985) to play in the U18 worlds. A year ago he was rated as a possible first-round pick, but just hasn't gotten that much exposure this season despite playing very well.

Old
03-28-2004, 11:49 AM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK79
One huge sleeper who will probably be available at #90 is Finnish sniper Pasi Salonen. He was one of the last cuts for the U20 WJC team and led the team in goals in the excibition games. He's a guy who has fallen under the radar this season, mainly because he didn't make the U20 national team and is too old (born late 1985) to play in the U18 worlds. A year ago he was rated as a possible first-round pick, but just hasn't gotten that much exposure this season despite playing very well.
What do you know about Lennart Pettrell? I saw him at the WJC's (on T.V.) and he seemed like a feisty physical player who has the size and speed to establish a good checking game and forecheck. His "finess game" however, wasn't very apparant in the tournament. He isn't expected to go very high in the draft and it wouldn't be the first time the Wings drafted a pesky Euro in the mid-rounds. Would you say that's an accurate scouting report on Pettrell?

Old
03-28-2004, 12:29 PM
ginnungagap

Quote:
One huge sleeper who will probably be available at #90 is Finnish sniper Pasi Salonen.
What's your take on Petteri Nokelainen (sp?)?- he seems to have enough word of mouth to probably be gone by the end of the third round but I'm curious to hear someone's take who's seen him outside of the World Juniors. I'd love to see Detroit start going to Finland for some picks.

Old
03-28-2004, 02:39 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnungagap
What's your take on Petteri Nokelainen (sp?)?- he seems to have enough word of mouth to probably be gone by the end of the third round but I'm curious to hear someone's take who's seen him outside of the World Juniors. I'd love to see Detroit start going to Finland for some picks.
i don't know much about finnish hockey, but now that valtonen seems to impress the wings management, there's a goo possibility that they could pick another one. and there's also the very talented filppula in the wings system.

i think they will draft 2-3 swedes in the late rounds as always. and at least one of those swedes will be completely unknown even to the swedish posters on this board, as always.

Old
03-29-2004, 10:54 AM
TK79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower
What do you know about Lennart Pettrell? I saw him at the WJC's (on T.V.) and he seemed like a feisty physical player who has the size and speed to establish a good checking game and forecheck. His "finess game" however, wasn't very apparant in the tournament. He isn't expected to go very high in the draft and it wouldn't be the first time the Wings drafted a pesky Euro in the mid-rounds. Would you say that's an accurate scouting report on Pettrell?
I not that high on Petrell.He made some very costly and amateur mistakes in the WJC's.Petrell is a big guy who skates well and likes to hit.He's a good stickhandler, but his hands seem to freeze every time he gets a scoring chance.The biggest problem with him is his lack of hockey sense, he just isn't too good at reading the game or seeing a play develop.He was also outplayed by Salonen in the Finnish junior-A playoffs. I wouldn't take a chance on him before the 6th or 7th round.

As for Petteri Nokelainen, I don't see any way he'll be available at the end of the third-round.Many have him going at the latter part of the first-round in fact. Petteri is a psycical two-way winger who spent the whole season in the SM-Liiga with Saipa, even earning PP-time once in a while.He played a checking role in the SM-Liiga, so he has a lot to prove at the U18 Worlds.He will likely play a scoring-line role in the tournament, so it's up to him to prove to scouts that he can light it up. If he succeeds, you can pencil him as a top 30 pick.Even if he fails in the tournament, his play earlier this season should earn him a top 50 pick.

Old
03-29-2004, 07:07 PM
ginnungagap

Quote:
As for Petteri Nokelainen, I don't see any way he'll be available at the end of the third-round.Many have him going at the latter part of the first-round in fact. Petteri is a psycical two-way winger who spent the whole season in the SM-Liiga with Saipa, even earning PP-time once in a while.He played a checking role in the SM-Liiga, so he has a lot to prove at the U18 Worlds.He will likely play a scoring-line role in the tournament, so it's up to him to prove to scouts that he can light it up. If he succeeds, you can pencil him as a top 30 pick.Even if he fails in the tournament, his play earlier this season should earn him a top 50 pick.
Yeah, I'm sure you're right that he'll be long gone by the end of the third round. If Detroit makes a move to get a first or second round pick though, I'd love to see them pick him. A physical two-way winger with top-six potential is exactly what the system needs. I really liked his game at the WJ's- but it seems like he hasn't gotten the hype to be a lottery pick or even top 20 pick. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if he either gets some late hype from THN or Redline when the draft previews come out or is a guy that gets picked alot higher than expected (a la Jesse Niinimaki).

Closed Thread