HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Bondra vs Palffy

View Poll Results: Better Player?
Zigmund Palffy 49 48.51%
Peter Bondra 52 51.49%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-11-2009, 12:21 AM
  #1
Ziostilon
Registered User
 
Ziostilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,415
vCash: 500
Bondra vs Palffy

which player showed that they were better during their time in the NHL?

Ziggy Palffy or Peter Bondra




Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 01:47 AM
  #2
ushvinder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,465
vCash: 500
Palffy for sure, this guy cracked the top 10 4 times. He would have been mentioned alongside bure and selanne if he was able to remain healthy. He is only 1 season away from being ranked alonside the kariyas and fluerys. Ziggy was a great player while he lasted, definetly underrated.

ushvinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 02:00 AM
  #3
arrbez
bad chi
 
arrbez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,610
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by ushvinder View Post
Palffy for sure, this guy cracked the top 10 4 times. He would have been mentioned alongside bure and selanne if he was able to remain healthy. He is only 1 season away from being ranked alonside the kariyas and fluerys. Ziggy was a great player while he lasted, definetly underrated.
Palffy is definitely underrated (more like forgotten), and really unfortunate in terms of where and when he played. His career spanned almost exactly the so-called "Dead Puck Era", and he played in the virtual wastelands of Long Island and LA. But he was never as good as guys like Kariya, Bure, Fleury, or Selanne. I'll definitely take him over Bondra though. Bondra was a great goal scorer, but incredibly mediocre at everything else. Palffy was a legit all-around threat when he was on the ice.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 02:12 AM
  #4
ushvinder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
Palffy is definitely underrated (more like forgotten), and really unfortunate in terms of where and when he played. His career spanned almost exactly the so-called "Dead Puck Era", and he played in the virtual wastelands of Long Island and LA. But he was never as good as guys like Kariya, Bure, Fleury, or Selanne. I'll definitely take him over Bondra though. Bondra was a great goal scorer, but incredibly mediocre at everything else. Palffy was a legit all-around threat when he was on the ice.
Bure and Selanne had higher peak values. However, I wouldn't say he's that far from a kariya or theo fluery. If he remained healthy throughout the 2004 season, he would have cracked the top 5 that year. Really Kariya and Fluery only have like 1 or 2 more elite years than him.

Hell, Palffy was just as good as Bure in 1998 and 2001.

ushvinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 05:01 PM
  #5
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User
 
Frolov 6'3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 8,945
vCash: 500
Kariya and Selanne both had some big seasons. Palffy had quite some excellent seasons himself and never had any support cast on Long Island. He almost had twice as many goals compared to the 2nd best scorer on his team.

Palffy was still going strong and in my opinion a much better player in the dead-puck era compared to both Kariya and Selanne.

As for this question, difficult. I'm a big fan of pure goalscorers, something Bondra was.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 05:23 PM
  #6
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club
 
I Hate Chris Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,959
vCash: 300
Palffy. I never seen Bondra play in his prime, nor did I see Palffy. I only saw Ziggy when he was with the Kings, but I liked him because I thought his name was cool.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 07:48 PM
  #7
Hero
The Corporal Returns
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19,334
vCash: 500
Palffy was underrated but Bondra was simply better

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 01:50 AM
  #8
arrbez
bad chi
 
arrbez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,610
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by ushvinder View Post
Bure and Selanne had higher peak values. However, I wouldn't say he's that far from a kariya or theo fluery. If he remained healthy throughout the 2004 season, he would have cracked the top 5 that year. Really Kariya and Fluery only have like 1 or 2 more elite years than him.

Hell, Palffy was just as good as Bure in 1998 and 2001.
Paul Kariya was a special, special player in his prime. Short-lived perhaps, but he was certainly better than Palffy was. Kariya's numbers just don't do justice to how amazing he was. You just had to see the guy play.

Fleury was a bit of a nutjob, but he was also a hell of a player. He was at least as good as Palffy offensively. On top of that, he was a rabid competitor and a dominant playoff performer on some crap teams.

I liked Palffy a lot, and as I say, he's underrated. But he was never as good as any of these guys. He never impacted games like these players did.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 02:32 PM
  #9
Infinite Vision*
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,861
vCash: 500
Well, despite the fact that Bondra lead the league in goals in 95 and 98, he was never top 10 in points, and Palffy was top 10 in points 4 times, so I say Palffy.

Infinite Vision* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 03:17 PM
  #10
Sorry
Registered User
 
Sorry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,258
vCash: 500
Petra Bundra

Sorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 05:14 PM
  #11
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,952
vCash: 500
it's very close. bondra scored a lot of goals, but wasn't a major factor in any other area of the game. also, he was okay but not what you'd call a playoff performer.

palffy probably impacted the game more, but was, until the last years of his career, your prototypical offensive hot shot putting up big totals on bad teams. which is to say that he was scoring lots of goals, but was he really helping his team win? and would he have produced less with better teammates? for a while, though, he carried those LA teams on his back and would have been a legitimate MVP candidate if anyone was actually watching those games. but by then injuries were a problem.

still, i'd take bondra despite palffy having the higher peak value because of his durability. and though he was a relatively one-dimensional player, his goals totals are pretty amazing.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 05:22 PM
  #12
FromChaos22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 655
vCash: 500
Check this season out:
http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagu...000402003.html

Palffy was amazing that year when Deadmarsh and Allison got hurt. Pretty much did it himself.

FromChaos22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 06:33 PM
  #13
Puckgenius*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: At the rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,558
vCash: 500
Ziggy, but its close. Palffy was a much better all round player as Bondra was purely a sniper.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:49 PM
  #14
lefty2time*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,109
vCash: 500
Excellent poll. Really really good.

Ziggy by a hair


Bondra was a better pure goal scorer. He had an amazing top end speed. Once he shifted into his 6th gear, I'm not sure there was a faster player.....people underrate how fast he could really fly. Not quickness..but like top end...it was scary.

Ziggy waaaassss more of an all around offensive whizz. He could score goals...lots of goals....in his peak he was 45-50 goal guy ...otherwise, good for 30. ....but he was a wicked playmaker too....he was more of a horizontal player ..he moved well laterally, i think he was the smarter player. He could quarterback a pp too.
Bondra was a bit more clutch tho wasnt he? this i am not sure about.....

I think Ziggys total offensive game slightly edges Bondras advantage in the goal scoring department.

Watching Ziggy, youd say WOAH..nice move...woaah such a pretty play. Bondra would make you stand out of your seat as he sped down the wing beating Dmen then scoring, or winding up for a HUGE slapshot. He'd make you say "wow"

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:50 PM
  #15
lefty2time*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,109
vCash: 500
I love Slovak players.....nxt poll should be Demitra and Satan

They are like the lesser extent of the Slovaks...similar careers..both are winding down right now.....

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 04:27 AM
  #16
slovakiasnextone
Registered User
 
slovakiasnextone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 4,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2time View Post
I love Slovak players.....nxt poll should be Demitra and Satan

They are like the lesser extent of the Slovaks...similar careers..both are winding down right now.....
I would not compare those two at all, you might see their career paths similar, but what has Demitra ever won? Somebody said it after the Stanley Cup finals: "Satan is the most succesful Slovak player, definitely not the best, but the most succesful." If youīd ask that poll between Slovak people, Satan would win it and it probably wouldnīt be even close....

But, on topic, my vote goes to Ziggy, also because itīs been so damn long since I saw Peter Bondra play last time. And to add to that, he sucks as a GM compared to Peter Stastny, not that it matters in tis poll, but....

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 09:52 AM
  #17
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,335
vCash: 256
Bondra

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 09:57 AM
  #18
Chimaera
same ol' Caps
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 21,953
vCash: 500
For a 4 or 5 year span, Bondra had one of the highest 2 or 3 goal totals.

While he was basically a sniper first and foremost, he did make himself into a better player defensively (and was very dangerous on the PK).

Looking at those Caps teams he was on, he was the main offensive threat on a defensive first team.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 11:01 AM
  #19
ibleedkings
Is this real?
 
ibleedkings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Quartz Hill
Country: United States
Posts: 1,850
vCash: 500
It's Palffy, he was always so underrated.

Career NHL PPG 1.04 (37) All Time

Career NHL GPG 0.48 (33) All Time


Bondra

Career NHL PPG 0.825 (151) All Time

Career NHL GPG 0.47 (41) All Time

Ziggy was the better player


Last edited by ibleedkings: 07-14-2009 at 11:13 AM.
ibleedkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 11:17 AM
  #20
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedkings View Post
It's Palffy, he was always so underrated.

Career NHL PPG 1.04 (37) All Time

Career NHL GPG 0.48 (33) All Time


Bondra

Career NHL PPG 0.825 (151) All Time

Career NHL GPG 0.47 (41) All Time

Ziggy was the better player
Bondra's numbers suffered from being on a very defensive team. I'm not saying that changes whether or not Palffy was better, merely trying to keep everything in context.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 12:44 PM
  #21
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,077
vCash: 500
Peter Bondra

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:19 AM
  #22
vlady
Registered User
 
vlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dulovce
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiaforever View Post
I would not compare those two at all, you might see their career paths similar, but what has Demitra ever won? Somebody said it after the Stanley Cup finals: "Satan is the most succesful Slovak player, definitely not the best, but the most succesful." If youīd ask that poll between Slovak people, Satan would win it and it probably wouldnīt be even close....

But, on topic, my vote goes to Ziggy, also because itīs been so damn long since I saw Peter Bondra play last time. And to add to that, he sucks as a GM compared to Peter Stastny, not that it matters in tis poll, but....
I am not gonna vote on this one simply because I love both of them. They were a deadly duo at the 2002 world champs. Clearly our two best players in the last 3 games of those championships and the two main reasons why we won that tournament. Palffy was the passer and Bondra was the finisher. I will never forget how great they were together. I think it was the first time they played on the same line but they clicked immediately. Greatest moments of Slovak hockey

About Demitra and Satan. I think Demitra was and still is a better player than Satan. If you did the poll in Slovakia I think it would have been close. Over here Demitra should have the edge. Satan was never a PPG player although he came close in a couple of seasons. On the other hand Demitra at his peak was a player who could score close to 40 goals and gather over 50 assists. He made his linemates better hockey players. Plus he was much more consistant than Satan. Satan was always a streaky player. When he was hot he was really great and when he was cold he could go without a goal for a month. Having said that, Satan has achieved more in terms of team success.

vlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 02:08 AM
  #23
lefty2time*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiaforever View Post
I would not compare those two at all, you might see their career paths similar, but what has Demitra ever won? Somebody said it after the Stanley Cup finals: "Satan is the most succesful Slovak player, definitely not the best, but the most succesful." If youīd ask that poll between Slovak people, Satan would win it and it probably wouldnīt be even close....

But, on topic, my vote goes to Ziggy, also because itīs been so damn long since I saw Peter Bondra play last time. And to add to that, he sucks as a GM compared to Peter Stastny, not that it matters in tis poll, but....

Dont care about who won more.....its whos a better player...they would be a good comparison.

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 02:18 AM
  #24
Ziostilon
Registered User
 
Ziostilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Bondra's numbers suffered from being on a very defensive team. I'm not saying that changes whether or not Palffy was better, merely trying to keep everything in context.
Ziggy wasnt exactly on the best of teams with those mid-90s Islanders teams

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 02:28 AM
  #25
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromChaos22 View Post
Check this season out:
http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagu...000402003.html

Palffy was amazing that year when Deadmarsh and Allison got hurt. Pretty much did it himself.
That is pretty beastly...

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.